News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Finally bought some Simple Green.  (Read 1510 times)

Offline Saim-Dann

Finally bought some Simple Green.
« on: December 13, 2017, 09:25:40 PM »
G'day all!
Posted a question some time ago about ungluing superglue. Freezing the model and Simple Green was suggested. Tried the freezing and one-third of the models came unglued.

Took a long time, such is my life, for the opportunity to get to Bunnings for the Simple Green. Have JUST placed models and said solution in a container now. Time will tell. Will fill you in.

Crikey Moses! If this works, just about every model I bought secondhand will be going for a dip... Pointy ears forever!! 

Offline Cavalier

• One Archon to Rules Test Them All | High Corsair Prince of Painting | Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Angels, World Eaters
Re: Finally bought some Simple Green.
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2017, 07:30:59 AM »
Simple Green is amazing... but it does have limits. I've found on REALLY old plastic models it sometimes strips it only down to primer. But on metal it'll strip it all the way down. Sometimes after letting it sit for a few days (weeks, years lol) I'll scrub everything down and if its doesnt get everything, I'll drop it back in, give it some more time and scrub it down again.

But yeah its amazing stuff and really turns junk into found money. Have fun bud and cant wait to see what you are stripping down.
Check out my army! Eldar Corsair Army

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2017, 03:48:01 PM »
Yeah it is the bests thing for removing paint from plastic mini's. Metho/turps are king for stripping metal minis.

You can also find some scrubbing brushes from an auto store, they are a little bigger than a tooth brush, but the plastic bristles are stronger/harder.

Offline Lord of Winter and War

• The Cause of Diabetes -Captain- Necrontyr Immortal - KoN Veteran - Master of All Diplomacy | Wi-Fi Nomad |
  • Ancient
  • Armies: Harlequins, Spiderfang, Bonereapers, Space Wolves
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2017, 05:55:55 PM »
I really like sing simple green, also, as it's a good house hold cleaner too!
Harlequin Army Blog

That's not blatant, this is blatant: I'm super happy that I'm playing Austria, the greatest nation in all of Diplomacy!

Azore of Austria

Offline Saim-Dann

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2017, 06:35:50 PM »
Thanks, guys!
Originally tried it to unglue some assault marines legs from their torso's, (Want the legs for some berserk charging blood claws). It didn't work, however, it did clean them more.

The pieces that I placed in simple green had been cleaned up via metho but there were little patches of paint in crevices that wouldn't budge, till now. These-models-are-spot-less!

So! Still looking for something to separate heavily glued models, but discovered a great cleaner... Be well! 

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2017, 07:48:44 PM »
acetone (nail polish remover check the bottle as they tend to range from 30-60%) will break super glue but be very careful cause it will kill plastic models. So don't soak it lol. Cotton ears buds are helpful here, most of it will get soaked into the bud, so it gives you a bit more control.

Razor blade can also do the trick, but basically with both of these you are trying to weaken the glue to the point where you can simply use force to snap the glue.

Offline Saim-Dann

« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2017, 09:09:28 PM »
Thanks, Magenb!
Will give the nail polish remover a go. With the surfaces not being flat, it's a tad tough using the scalpel. As you know, the gluing surface of legs is a ball shape securing itself INTO the torso.

Most of the time I can break apart secondhand models, however, half of them have been over glued and are next to imposable to part without damaging the model.

Thanks again for your advice, mate... Be well!