News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Hugo Chavez dead  (Read 1974 times)

Offline Chuckles, The Space Marine Clown

• Can't Touch This; Captain; Swarmlord - Tyranid Sweatshop Operator; 40KO's Official WMD; "No American orphans, please"
  • Ancient
  • I kill, maim and torture because I care
Hugo Chavez dead
« on: March 5, 2013, 06:00:13 PM »
Indeed he is.

The reactions to this news will be mixed, to say the least. And it's going to be interesting watching how Kerry's State Department handles this. Negative points for any painfully unsubtle attempts to secure a pro-US candidate while issuing platitudes of regret.
The forum rules are fair and just. *twitch*

Offline Irisado

• A Light in The Grim-Darkness ~ Guns Don't Kill People, Copyright Stats Do | Farseer | Reporting Live! from the Crime Scene | Somewhat behind the times
  • Administrator
  • Soñando debajo del arco iris
  • Armies: Administrators must not play 40K
Re: Hugo Chavez dead
« Reply #1 on: March 5, 2013, 06:10:43 PM »
I knew that he was very ill, but I didn't see this coming.

It certainly opens up a whole can of worms regarding US-Latin American relations in general, and will also have an impact on EU, and Spanish foreign policy, in terms of their dealing with Venezuela, and Latin America too.

I just hope that the US won't meddle.  It has a pretty negative history of trying to involve itself in the political affairs of Latin American countries, so a different approach would be refreshing.
You haunt my in-box like an ex-girl friend could only dream of.

The Forum Rules - Please Read and Remember Them.

Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Offline Rasmus

• The Ratcatcher
  • Ancient
  • Lost Roads are now found!
    • 40kOnline
  • Armies: Squats
« Reply #2 on: March 6, 2013, 04:11:36 AM »
I always liked Hugo. Sure he was a bit of a nut, very left-wing and a conspiracy-believer, but he did a great many good things for his people. And he was president twice, once before, and then again after the coup against him. Big brass jingles on that guy.
Sad to see him pass. Hope this does not start out any real violence or despotic aristocratic rule (which Venezuela is prone to).

Lost Roads - finally released!

YouTube-clip of my Squat army.

Offline Chuckles, The Space Marine Clown

• Can't Touch This; Captain; Swarmlord - Tyranid Sweatshop Operator; 40KO's Official WMD; "No American orphans, please"
  • Ancient
  • I kill, maim and torture because I care
« Reply #3 on: March 6, 2013, 04:29:50 AM »
As Irisado says, a lot comes down to whether the US can restrain itself from meddling. Their track record in this area is not great, but that doesn't by any means make it a foregone conclusion. We'll just have to wait and see. Prepare for Fox News blowhards calling this an "opportunity" to "help free" Venezuelans.

As for the man himself- a crazy, crazy awesome kind of dude. Freely giving the finger to powers considerably greater than his own, campaigning on a platform of supporting the poor and then actually doing it when elected, sticking up for the underdog (sometimes with unfortunate results). I wouldn't describe him as a hero or anything, but I had a lot of respect for the guy, and I'm sad to see him pass.
The forum rules are fair and just. *twitch*