News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: 'Evil' vs 'good' Harlequins  (Read 6418 times)

Offline The Black Dahlia Murder

• NRPH forever...
'Evil' vs 'good' Harlequins
« on: March 16, 2011, 09:15:39 PM »
Harlequins remind me of clowns. Clowns jumping around with swords and pistols. Thinking about this, I want to paint my Harlequins like clowns. Yet, do I want to paint them as happy clowns with nice bright colors like you might hire for your child's birthday OR evil dark clowns with the same colors as the happy ones but a darker shade. For example: happy: pink/bright pink and evil: dark pink. It's up to you guys to pick out what scheme I should use for my Harlequins.

Offline warhammerguy40k

• Barad-gen rules!
Re: 'Evil' vs 'good' Harlequins
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2011, 11:16:05 PM »
I have always wanted haliquins painted red and black on the checkers, and bright whit for the armor, also you may consider black for the sword...

Offline Tweedz

• Death is only the beginning.
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2011, 11:29:59 PM »
Honestly I would be more scared of clowns coming at me with swords and wearing blinding bright pink.

Offline Foalchu

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2011, 01:10:50 AM »
I would suggest painting them in slightly darker colors, just so they aren't an eyesore.  I've seen some very well-painted harlequins that I couldn't look at for long because of the color selection.

I personally think a medium-dark blue and scarlet would look very striking for a harlequin squad while not being too bright and gaudy.
"Some call the Eldar decadent.  If that is true, the Imperial Army could do with some of that decadence."
"We warned you of the price of your actions, now you must pay it in full - in blood."
*cringe-worthy teen sig section removed*

Offline Calaeth

• Mind over Matter
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2011, 04:20:22 AM »
Fluffwise Harlequins are said to entertain in times of Peace and wear happy Masks (they change as the wearer wishes) and bright colors then. In times of War and on the Battlefield though they change their happy Face to a grotesque image and scare the hell out of their enemies, I can imagine they do the same with their clothes and change to a dark and scary pattern.
So if you want to go dark pink and evil green, I´d vote for it. Never was a big fan of the official Yup-dee-doo color scheme anyway :)

Offline Rathireon

• Speaker of Corny Lingo
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2011, 09:04:32 PM »
These are some of my favourites: -

They are still clowns, but with a dark and forboding undertone of artistic murderers... rather than the garish I'm gonna squirt you with a fake flower! look that is more usually seen.

Apart from my personal preference, the added benefit is that a scheme like the above could very easily slip between both Craftworld and Dark Eldar forces which is fitting of the Harlequin role.

Sooo I vote for a limited palette of mid-to-dark tones for Harlequins.

Offline The Black Dahlia Murder

• NRPH forever...
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2011, 06:03:51 PM »
I like the purple and black. Nice mix. The white looks like ghostly gray but GW stopped making that color. I bet some other companies might make something close to that. Thanks for your ideas everyone :)

Offline Eldo

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2011, 08:53:00 PM »
When it comes to getting the right color down, you always have the option of mixing your own.

For a while now I have not used primarily GW paints, as I found they were a tad on the "rich for my tastes" side, when it is possible to get more water-based paint for cheaper, and usually in better variety, at an art store. Also, the benefit of checking out a store like that (I'm not sure which ones are in your area) is that the staff can help you find the right color you are looking for, and just help in general with getting the right gear.

In general, it is much thriftier to get your painting and modeling supplies at an art supplier than through GW.