News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: What would it take to storm the Imperial Palace?  (Read 66564 times)

Offline ::ËternaĺŇovice::

• A Hippies Version of Exterminatus
Re: What would it take to storm the Imperial Palace?
« Reply #20 on: December 4, 2005, 12:49:58 PM »
Orks: The combined forces of every single Ork in the galaxy. It has been stated that if the Orks ever did join up into a mega-legion, they would be completely unstoppable. Though there is more of a chance of a single Grot taking out a Titan in combat then ever having the Orks band together, if it were to be accomplished, everything in galaxy would be screwed.

I started playing Tau three years ago, and now I'm dating a supermodel. Coincidence? I think not.

Current Projects: Slow Process of Ordering Warmachine Models. 0% Done.

I'm the Self Proclaimed Greatest Noob on 40konline!

Offline Dralith

• never say dice
  • Armies: Craftworld Bionerath and Badtoof's Moonstompas
« Reply #21 on: December 4, 2005, 01:25:25 PM »
Also, the Imperial palace doesn't have just 'walls' around some buildings, it's mostly a closed structure, so you can't just drop in inside the walls. There's no way you're going to be blasting your way through the roof either... Pretty much the only way into the palace was through the gate, so they didn't have much of a choice.

But why go for the gate? Gates are  the most heavily defended parts of a fortress; it doen't matter how thick the walls are, it's always much harder to get in the front door than to go 'through the window' in a siege situation.

If you can't destroy void shields by firepower then Imperators are invincible... but of course there are weapons to counter this.

I'd say fall on the roof: It's harder for the defenders to get to. Anyway, all mega-fortresses always have a weak spot: probably one lucky lasgun shot could blow the whole thing to smithereens  :P

With enough nukes, asteroids, comets, space debris, nova cannon shots, that crazy blackstone fortress weapon etc being thrown at it all the void shields in the universe aren't going to help.

Or like I said, drop the moon on it. That'll solve any problems you have with Terra good n' all.

EternalNovice: Don't count it out man, grots can do anything!
And Oromë loved the Quendi, and named them in their own tongue Eldar, the people of the stars.

Offline Chuckles, The Space Marine Clown

• Can't Touch This; Captain; Swarmlord - Tyranid Sweatshop Operator; 40KO's Official WMD; "No American orphans, please"
  • Ancient
  • I kill, maim and torture because I care
« Reply #22 on: December 4, 2005, 01:27:01 PM »
This thread is very silly. It's full of people going "a bajillion of everything my army has!". Let's face it, Terra is not going, in itself, to be phenominally guarded. It's surrounded by a large number of heavily defended systems, so by the time a hypothetical army gets near Terra, it will have had to fight through a heck of a lot of other stuff. Terra isn't the biggest planet out there, and has limited capacity, so it will not rely on having massive numbers of defenders, but rather a fair few incredibly potent defenders (Adeptus Custodes spring to mind).

Tyranids, apparently having some serious numbers at their disposal, would appear to have perhaps the best chance.
Eldar, I think we agree, would be unlikely to manage it at this stage.
Similar applies to the Dark Eldar, and this isn't the kind of thing they'd be interested in in any case.
Orks, should a Warboss be motivated to get enough Orks together they'd probably have a go, but they aren't really sophisticated enough to try anything beyond "get em boyz", which is probably the first thing the Imperium will have thought of to defend against.
Chaos seem to be another likely threat. Of course, the numbers of marines have depleted a great deal since the Heresy, so they'd need to try something pretty sophisticated (which they are certainly capable of).
Tau, another contender, they're expanding a lot and getting gradually stronger. They also have the benefit of sophistication and tactical nuance to find the best possible way to do it. I favour these guys almost as much as Chaos and Nids.
Necrons, short of pulling the Outsider and the Dragon out alongside a lot more Warriors than have ever been seen before don't seem to have much chance.

All in all, I'd put my money on Tau, Chaos and Tyranids if anyone were to manage it, with Nids coming out on top.
The forum rules are fair and just. *twitch*

Offline 'Mark'

• Major
  • Run them to the ground!
« Reply #23 on: December 4, 2005, 02:49:50 PM »
But why go for the gate? Gates are  the most heavily defended parts of a fortress; it doen't matter how thick the walls are, it's always much harder to get in the front door than to go 'through the window' in a siege situation.

In medieval times, armies never assaulted the gates with battering rams, they always kept pounding the walls until they brought them down. Right?

If you can't destroy void shields by firepower then Imperators are invincible...

Few things can destroy an Imperator, right? The Imperial Palace is even bigger, thus has even more and stronger void shields. Theoretically, you could bring those shields down, I just don't think you could get a fleet large enough to do that in low orbit.

I'd say fall on the roof: It's harder for the defenders to get to.

Says who? I assume you've never been inside the palace, so for all you know it could be the best defended part of the whole place.. Seeing as we have no fluff of any attack via the roof succeeding, we should assume it is easily defendable.

With enough nukes, asteroids, comets, space debris, nova cannon shots, that crazy blackstone fortress weapon etc being thrown at it all the void shields in the universe aren't going to help.

Granted, but I think the Terran shields are able to withstand a lot of punishment.

Offline Dr. Ravingburger

• Ork Boy | No stranger to love.
« Reply #24 on: December 4, 2005, 04:13:51 PM »
I will now chime in with who I think have the best chance: All of the 1,000 Space Marine Chapters combined. Or, the Adeptus Mechanius. They control the Titan Legions, so therefore could beat back the void sheilds etc. Back to Space Marines, if they wanted to band together (Hey, you konw what? Let's go kill the Emperor!) They could win. Regardless of who is fighting though, it would probably take a year or so to breech the palace.

Offline Tango

• I used to be Tricodex
« Reply #25 on: December 4, 2005, 04:41:26 PM »
I think it would just take the adeptus custodes to turn traitor (it would never happen I know).

Visit my invision RP forum:
http://s13.invisionfree.com/iSamurai
Yet another neko lover
Tricodex; tree-ko-deks

Offline Fred_Scuttle

• Good Evening Viewers!!
    • West Point Hobby In Redford Michigan
« Reply #26 on: December 5, 2005, 09:29:02 AM »
Good Evening Viewers!!!

Actually, after careful analysis – I’ve concluded that if your goal of storming the palace is to kill the Emperor, just ignore the palace.  It’s a piece of propaganda.  The Emperor is actually in a golden cabana on the southern tip of Maui being served by 40,000 scantily clad Sisters Of Battle not shy about showing their ‘Krak’ grenades.   

Fred
Do you live in the Metro Detroit Area? - Do you play Warhammer, Warhammer 40K and or Lord Of The Rings?

Would you like to get GW Product every single day at 20% off? - Check Out
www.westpointhobby.com

Offline Grey Wolf

• Don't bother showing your fear, I can smell it.
« Reply #27 on: December 5, 2005, 01:41:26 PM »
Or the other option for the Necrons... a single C'tan... consume the sun of the system, wait a few days, voila instant ice cube... any C'tan without their necrodermis is a pure energy being, and would be able to pass any defenses the imperium would be able to put up.  The amount of energy that single C'tan would gain from all the terror created from the population would die on Terra (there would be those that would escape of course...) would be easily enough for that single C'tan to consume any ships trying to leave the system... there isn't a weapon created that can kill a God...
my two cents...

Offline BlueAnubis

• <3V1L L33T>
« Reply #28 on: December 5, 2005, 01:54:49 PM »
Do Tau have spaceships that can make the trip to terra, and not take forever?
Earth is a grain of sand in a endless desert. D33p

Offline Rasmus

• The Ratcatcher
  • Ancient
  • Lost Roads are now found!
    • 40kOnline
  • Armies: Squats
« Reply #29 on: December 5, 2005, 02:04:14 PM »
Indeed they do not, at least not as far as we have seen yet.

Lost Roads - finally released!

YouTube-clip of my Squat army.

Offline Iron-Hand Ace

• I'm pretty sure that part's important . . .
« Reply #30 on: December 5, 2005, 02:08:53 PM »
Do Tau have spaceships that can make the trip to terra, and not take forever?

Good question, as I remember they can't travel through the warp.

there isn't a weapon created that can kill a God...

Except for the Blackstone Fortresses, or the Talismen of Vaul, depending on how fancy you want your language to be.

Without detailed information on the defences of Terra, this strikes me as being fairly pointless.  To properly judge what would be needed, we need to know what we're up against.  Are there any books concerning the defences on Terra for us to consult?
"Give me a hundred men such as this and I will win the battle.  Give me a thousand and I will win an empire."

Offline Zzarchov

• Equations are the Devil's sentances
« Reply #31 on: December 5, 2005, 02:20:26 PM »
well, for one thing the emporers palace is all of europe,  its no so much a building as a continent.

As for Orks,  there are already believed to be feral orks on earth..orks is notoriously difficult to erradicate once they land on a planet (and they have been on earth, back when the emporer mashed em up). 

As for who could beat back the Palace that depends,  Horus could have done it in five seconds,  except he wanted to capture it and become the emporer.

Pretty much anyone who wants to capture it and rule the imperium had better have a majority of the imperium on his side,  anyone who wants to just blow up the planet just needs a minor window of opportunity and an elite strike team.

Offline Aesir Yggdrasil

• The Twisted Haemonculus
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Serious as a hemophiliac in a razor blade factory.
« Reply #32 on: December 5, 2005, 06:15:31 PM »
The Harliequins are the army that first springs to mind. THey'd know which ways to bust through to enter the Place from the inside, and with the combined might of the Eldar race (bar the crone world eldar), I think they'd be able to blast the cripple emperor from attop his throne, letting loose one big webway portal smack dab in the middle of the palace. After the Emperor falls, everything else kinda crumbles, no?

All the Harlies would need would be every Eldar psker to operate in concert, and then use Troupes to control just how much carnage the Dark Eldar get up to, acting as wanton shock toops. Mind you, I don't see WHY they'd do it. Makes more sense for the puppet emperor to sit tight while the laughing god and Ynnead gather power.
People ask how come I play such a twisted army. I reply that I have the heart of a young boy; in a jar right next to his brain.

Now with Extra Lung!

Offline Locke

• Bring the Rain
« Reply #33 on: December 5, 2005, 06:38:35 PM »
Necrons:

50 Cairn class Tomb Ships, 3 of them penetrated earths defenses, think what 50 would do. Also if they didn't just destroy the entire planet, lets see 1 normal army fits in that, so

Both C'tan 50 lords
100 monoliths
150 heavy destroyers
6000 warriors
3000 immortals
and just to kill psykers, 500 Pariahs ((Emperor (of corny names) got nothing on them), Feel my blasphemy!)

that should do it I think!
« Last Edit: December 5, 2005, 06:46:22 PM by Andrew Wiggin »
Locke's Record (2010):
 Shas'el'Sa'cea'Kanvah'Kais: 3-1-1
 Simulation (Vassal) Record: 31-4-9
            Tau: 21-3-6
     Necrons: 3-1-1
 Dark Eldar: 7-0-2

Offline Dr. Ravingburger

• Ork Boy | No stranger to love.
« Reply #34 on: December 5, 2005, 07:18:35 PM »
Alright, lets talk about defenses. The Emperor has around 1,000 Adeptus Custodes who won't give up until they are all dead. There would be at least 1,000 psykers to feed the Emperor (They could defend him) The Assassains all have their temples there, the Inqusition has bases there, the largest Adeptus Mechanius force and a Titan Legion or two nearby, a huge flotilla of ships, orbital and ground based defenses, and the whole population of Earth. Not to mention the Imperial Fists and maybe 1 or 2 nearby chapters.

Offline Shade, Bankai King

« Reply #35 on: December 5, 2005, 07:22:51 PM »
All 4 c'tan at full power and all the legions they controlled in the war of the heavens.Which is about

900 lords the 4 c'tan 1000 pariahs 1000 immoratals  1000 flayed ones 2000 monoliths 900000 n warriors  8000 destroyers.
« Last Edit: December 5, 2005, 07:24:35 PM by Bladesinger kyarno »
[CENTER

Offline DrewTheBlack

« Reply #36 on: December 5, 2005, 07:35:56 PM »
The way i would do it requires 1 person

Callidus Assassin

Move into the palace kill the Emperor, then sit back and watch the imperial fall.

With out the Emperor the imperial have no way of navigating through the warp, which means no space marines to arrive. It would be open day for nids, chaos, elder, Dark elder, orks, everyone whos agaisnt the imperial. it would be easily crushed
And the raven, never flitting, still is sitting, still is sitting. On the pallid bust of Pallas just above my chamber door;
And his eyes have all the seeming of a demon's that is dreaming. And the lamplight o'er him streaming throws his shadow on the floor;
And my soul from out that shadow that lies floating on the floor Shall be lifted---
nevermore!

Offline Shade, Bankai King

« Reply #37 on: December 5, 2005, 07:38:47 PM »
Execpt that a assain would never make it to terra alive. he is after all the greatest phsycer ever.He would sense him coming.
[CENTER

Offline Killgore

• Guardian
  • Ulthwe
« Reply #38 on: December 5, 2005, 07:39:06 PM »
Planetkiller, or if yah gunna be fancy.. A Blackstone fortress

Offline DrewTheBlack

« Reply #39 on: December 5, 2005, 07:45:53 PM »
good point.

I still think the only way to storm the imperial Palace is by taking out the Emperor first. so how do you beat the greatest phsycer ever
And the raven, never flitting, still is sitting, still is sitting. On the pallid bust of Pallas just above my chamber door;
And his eyes have all the seeming of a demon's that is dreaming. And the lamplight o'er him streaming throws his shadow on the floor;
And my soul from out that shadow that lies floating on the floor Shall be lifted---
nevermore!