News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Campaign Game: Orks Vs Tzeentch Daemons, 750 points  (Read 4885 times)

Offline Wyddr

• Author Eminence: Hereticus Liber Daemonica | Fio'shas Shi
  • Lazerous Penguin
    • My blog about SF/F stuff
  • Armies: Daemons, Imperial Fists, Tau, Ksons, Vostroyans
Campaign Game: Orks Vs Tzeentch Daemons, 750 points
« on: August 12, 2016, 10:38:47 PM »
The Vaults of Kekes'tular: Orks Vs Tzeentch Daemons, Prepared Assault

Hrothmog the Rapacious, Bloodthirster of the Almighty Khorne, gazed down from his brass throne at the tiny, mewling shape of a Herald of Tzeentch. He did not speak. He roared. "WHY WOULDST I DO THIS FOR THEE, DISSEMBLING WRETCH?"

The Herald, which called itself "Q'Raip," cowered as the hordes of bloodletters that filled Hrothmog's hall howled at their master's dismay, banging their goblets of blood on the table and swearing foul oaths. When the furor had abated, the creature leaned on its misshaped staff and hissed from within its dark hood. "My Quixotic and Unknowable Masters have put much of their faith in Yggnao, their champion. He is powerful, O Mighty One, and disdains noble combat in favor of the most wretched of sorceries."

"AS DO THEE." Hrothmog drank deeply of a goblet of boiling lava and belched fire. The hall of bloodletters roared with laughter.

"Yes, yes--but I am just a miserable servant of the Changer of the Ways. I am slave to His ineffable will. This Yggnao styles himself 'warlord.'"

Hrothmog sat forward on his throne. "WHAT!? NO TZEENTCHIAN WRETCH IS LORD OF WAR!"

Q'Raip shrank to half his size. "Just so, just so, O Most Deadly and Violent One! It is for this reason that I come before you--to beg your aid and to make you a proposition."

Hrothmog cocked his horned head. "OF WHAT KIND?"

Within his hood, Q'Raip dared a smile, "One that will embarrass Yggnao the Pretender and enrage his masters."
And return to me my Impossible Cloak, he added silently to himself.

Hrothmog brooded into his smoking goblet. "VERY WELL--I GIVE THEE THREE OF MINE OWN KNIGHTS. USE THEM WELL."

Q'Raip quivered with glee. He prostrated himself at the foot of the throne. "Oh, I shall, Most Devastating One - I most certainly shall."

The time has come at last for the armies of Tzeentch to make their play for possession of the Jungle Vault! This is the third battle in a ongoing ladder campaign me and my friends have going (Orks Vs Eldar Vs Daemons) which you can check out here. The point limit is 750 points, the mission is Prepared Assault (more on that later). First, the lists:

Big Mek Grobsnubba's Killa Klankas
Ork Combined Arms Detachment

Big Mek w/Shokk Attack Gun, Ammo Runt (Warlord: Kunnin' But Brutal)
10 Lootas
15 Shoota Boyz w/Big Shoota
15 Shoota Boyz w/Big Shoota
4 Killa Kans w/Grotzookas
1 Deff Dred w/2x Big Shootas, 2x Klaws ("Francis")

Tzeentchian Assault Team
Chaos Daemons Combined Arms Detachment

Herald on Disc, Lv 3 w/Staff of Tzeentch (Dark Flame, Summoning, Infernal Gateway) Warlord: Daemonspark (BOOO!)
5 Screamers

Herald, Locus of Conjuration, Lv 2 (Incursion, Flickering Fire)
11 Horrors (Warpflare, Flickering Fire)

Herald, Grimoire of True Names, Lv 1 (Flickering Fire, Prismatic Gaze)
11 Horrors (Warpflare, Flickering Fire)

Burning Chariot

Terrain, Mission, and Deployment
So, I went all-out for terrain in this battle, since I wanted the Jungle Vault to look especially cool. Given my rather limited array of terrain, I think the board looked damned good. Check it out:

This picture is from the NE corner of the board.

So, a giant temple (made of various ruin-ish-looking packing material) in the north, a river with some forest covering much of the eastern half of the board, and some other ruins and walls throughout the middle. I think this board looked badass. My opponent was upset I had things to hide behind.

As for the mission, Prepared Assault calls for an attacker (me) and a defender (him). There are 3 objectives: one in board center, one in the middle of the defender's DZ, and one other I can place in his DZ after deployment. The defender deploys first and has the whole table-half to choose from. I deploy second and have to stay 18" from any of his units. Nobody allowed in reserve. I go first on a 2+. We each got a few little chits of paper to serve as "bombardments" that we could drop on the table and, hopefully, kill something. 

In the "Randomly Determine My Powers" phase of the game, I roll Daemonspark for my Warlord trait (which SUCKS) and still get it even with the re-roll. So, off to a great start. Since the Impossible Cloak isn't fully operating at a 2++, I make 2 plays for Cursed Earth. The first roll gets me Dark Flame and, as I've got a lot of Orks to cook, a torrent weapon is always welcome and I keep it. The next one was Sacrifice, which is honestly a pretty sweet summoning power, but not great on the warlord's unit, so he trades out for Summoing--hopefully I can drop some flamers on him again. The Lv 2 Herald gets Incursion (which is pretty handy, given this game, so I keep it) and Tzeentch's Firestorm, which SUCKS and therefore I quickly trade out for Flickering Fire. The Book Herald scores Prismatic Gaze, which might come in handy against that Dread at some point, and Flickering Fire as well. Both Horrors get stuck with Tzeentch's Warpflare and Flickering Fire, as usual.   

When deploying, the Orks drop the Lootas on top of the temple (a commanding view) with the Big Mek. The Kans go in a line just shy of the center objective. Francis the Dred goes atop the steps of the temple. One mob of boys claims the east wing of the temple, and the second mob of boys squats atop their DZ objective.

Seeing that he has done little to protect his western flank, I place the third objective there, between the temple and the SW ruins--close enough to my lines that I can get there with infantry, but far enough away from his guys to make it awkward to get to. I then put my Chariot and Screamers + Warlord in the SW corner, mostly hidden from the Orks. The two groups of Horrors go beside them, sticking behind the wall along the south. My plan, at least initially, is to refuse his flank and keep the Boyz largely irrelevant for much of the game while I find a way to tie up the Kans and the Dred and kill the Lootas. I figure he'll get to keep his DZ objective and I'll fight him over the central one while keeping the western one for myself.

Deployment

(note: the map doesn't show the temple as actual size--no terrain templates that were appropriate)

The Ork Defenders
The Sneaky Tzeentch Attackers

Turn 1
I get first turn, predictably enough given the mission. I shoot the Chariot forward and promptly incinerate 5-6 Lootas with some Blue Fire action. The Screamers follow it up while the Book Herald and his horrors clamber into the SW ruins. The Book Herald blesses the Chariot to keep it safe from incoming Loota fire. The Horrors with Q'Raip skooch forward a bit to get LOS/Range on the Killa Kans.

In the psychic phase, I get a solid 5 dice added to 10 base phase for a hefty 15 warp dice. I spend 7 to summon some Bloodcrushers right in front of Q'Raip's Horrors, and they trot up behind the wall, ready to assault the Kans next turn. I then spend the rest of my dice on a 2-die Flickering Fire from Q'Raip's horrors at the Kans, which causes a Perils that kills a Horror but also fails to do any damage. Q'Raip then tries a 3-die Flickering fire himself, but it gets denied. Blech.

The Warp Storm stirs up Nurgle. The only thing that happens is Nurgle farts on one of my Horrors' heads and he dies. So, yeah I've lost 1 Horror from each unit, which means I've lost 2 dice from my psychic phase from here on out. I knew it was going to happen, yeah, but happening on *my own turn* is a bit harsh.

Finally, I drop both of my bombardment chits. One hits two orks at the back of the reserve squad, killing one. The other takes a hull point off a killa kan. Fine--I'll take it.

Top of Turn 1

Bloodcrushers Join the Party
First Bombardment and Second Bombardment
I Roast Some Lootas

In my opponent's first turn, the Killa Kans stomp forward and lob an ungodly amount of firepower onto the Book Herald's unit. The Blasts went everywhere--hitting bloodcrushers and the Chariot and the other group of Horrors and so on, but mostly only killed the book Herald's guys, knocking off about 3-4. The boyz moved forward, getting a few pot-shots off at Q'Raip's horrors, maybe killing one (don't quite remember). The Lootas opted not to tangle with the Chariot's boosted Invul and targeted the Screamers instead, but my saves held out (for once) and I only took one wound (I think). Francis the Dread clanked down the temple stairs and fired at the Chariot, but failed to do any damage.

Bottom of Turn 1

Turn 2
In my second turn, the Bloodcrushers leapt gracefully over the wall and were blessed by the Book Herald to prepare them for some Kan smashing. The Screamers moved over behind the temple while the Chariot cruised to the valley between the SW ruins and the temple (and was just a *hair* too close to the Dred, but more on that later).

In the psychic phase I was hoping that I'd be able to summon another unit of some kind. Instead, I rolled a 1 for my dice, meaning I was down to a 9-die phase. I wasn't going to burn 7 of them on a summon when I had plenty of stuff to shoot at. The Disc Herald threw Dark Flame on the Lootas which, along with the Blue Fire from the Chariot, wipes the unit out, Big Mek and all. The rest was a pair of Flickering Fires from Q'Raip's Horrors that killed a fair number of the closest Shoota Boy Mob, causing a morale test that they pass. Still, not a knock-out blow--Q'Raip's 3 die Flicker netted me only 5 shots, which is pretty poor. The boyz pass their toughness test, to their mutations only make them stronger. Being Orks, they probably have a good laugh at Gonk's new third eye or whatever.

The Warp Storm was calm (thank God!), so the Bloodcrushers charged into the Kans without any trouble. They did a hull point with Hammer of Wrath and one with their attacks, so my opponent was able to spread out the damage. They took a wound in response, but stayed locked in combat, which was the whole idea. I really didn't relish the idea of being blasted by Grotzookas more than once.

At this point, my opponent was feeling pretty demoralized, partially because he was playing Daemons, as they have so many weird and freaky rules and he's pretty new to the game. Part of this is my fault--I was going kinda fast, trying to get through my very complex turn without bogging down play--but another part was, I think, my opponent's newness and him getting very upset every time he loses a unit. I told him, as kindly as I could, that if he's gonna play orks, losing units needs to be something he gets used to.

Top of Turn 2

Hrothmog the Rapacious Sends His Regards

In the bottom of Turn 2, my primary mistake becomes clear--I am not far enough from Francis the Deffdred to avoid an assault. My opponent flirts with the possibility of joining the Kans in combat (during which time I cross my fingers and mutter "pretty pretty please!"), but instead he makes a run for the Chariot. It's a 9" charge, so odds are he misses it, but nope--an 11. Francis charges in and smashes the Chariot quite swiftly. Bummer--this creates complications of a rather severe variety.

Next up, the Shoota Boyz closest to me close in a bit and fire at Q'Raip's Horrors, killing one or two (he was rolling Ork shooting like a normal person this game--mostly misses. I guess that warboss I aced the last game kept his boyz at marksmanship practice). The reserve boys faded back a bit, hoping to ambush the Screamers as they came over the temple.

Finally, in the assault with the Kans, the Crushers kill a Kan and take another wound in return.

Bottom of Turn 2

1 Down, 3 to Go
Francis Looking Pleased With Himself

To Be Continued...

Offline Wyddr

• Lazerous Penguin
Campaign Game: Orks Vs Tzeentch Daemons, 750 points, Part 2 (PLEASE MERGE)
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2016, 10:39:30 PM »
Turn 3
So, Francis being nose-to-nose with my Horrors creates problems. I concoct a clever plan--separate the Disc Herald from the Screamers and send the Screamers off to eat Francis. Unfortunately, I was too busy trying to give my opponent a pep talk and opining about the nature of the game writ large that I promptly forgot about my clever plan and flew the Screamers up on top of the Temple with the Disc Herald still in tow (dammit!). Meanwhile, I move Q'Raip's Horrors forward, figuring that I should be able to focus on blasting orks soon. After Blessing the Crushers again, the Book Herald and his gang move back, but I place the Book Horror in range to use Prismatic Gaze on Francis. This should be easy enough. You know, assuming I don't have a terrible psychic phase.

So then I roll another 1 for the Warp. Sigh. Well, I get off a Dark Flame with the Disc Herald and burn up a couple of the rear-guard orks. Then I try for Prismatic Gaze with my last 7 dice. I get two warp charge. Two on SEVEN DICE (and yet it is my *opponent* who is depressed here).

Just to keep pissing in my own oatmeal, I roll "The Storm Abates" on the Warp Storm table and have to make Instability Tests for everybody--everybody passes, so there's that, but still. Now in Emergency Mode, I turboboost the Screamers and the Disc Herald to block the Horrors from Francis, hoping that their Warp Jaws pay off for me and maybe (maybe) I can tarpit the guy for a few turns while my Horrors mop up.

In assault, another Kan bites the dust to the Bloodcrushers' Hellblades. Oh, and for a surprise, an ork actually dies from Soul Blaze in the reserve unit.

Top of Turn 3

The Screamers Form an Inhuman Shield

In the bottom of the turn, the boyz keep peppering Q'Raip and his guys with intermittent small arms fire, knocking off a few here and there, but the Horrors weather the storm pretty well, considering. Then Francis charges the screamers. 4 Warp Jaws attacks all miss, Francis hits with everything, causes 4 wounds, and instakills 3 Horrors. I lose combat by 4 and tank my Instability test so badly the entire unit just vanishes. Crap, crap, crap. Just lost my Warlord and 3 Warp Charge in the psychic phase. This is very much not good.

Another ork burns to death as a result of Soul Blaze. This is amazing, but also more-or-less pointless.

Bottom of Turn 3

Turn 4
Okay, okay--this looks bad, but I still have the Kans tarpitted, I still have a Herald with Prismatic Gaze, and I've still got a lot of Flickering fire to roast orks with. I move the Book Herald and his guys back while advancing with the Q'Raip fellows. I roll for my psychic phase.

One. Damned. Die.

That's three 1s in a row. You can't make this amphetamine parrot up. So, there I am with a 6-die phase and I decide to put it all into Prismatic Gaze. The power goes off. I roll to hit.
I miss. 

Welp, there's a terrible turn for you. At least the Warp Storm leaves me alone for a turn and the Bloodcrushers continue to stalemate the Kans.

Top of Turn 4 (note: this map is wrong--I didn't drive off that unit of Boyz yet. Sorry. Spoiler Alert.)

This has been going on for a while now.

In the ork turn, more boyz shoot at Horrors for no huge effect (overall my opponent was using his boyz way too defensively--they should have been stuck-in ages ago). Francis, seeing the Horrors too far inside the ruins to manage negotiating their crags, charges into the tarpit combat. I kill a kan while he kills a Bloodcrusher. We resolve to do it again next turn.

Bottom of Turn 4 (again: imagine there were still boyz to the east)

Turn 5
Okay, things have gotten simpler now. First, I need to get the Horrors onto objectives, as the game may end. Second, I need to nuke Orks so they don't kill me next turn. Third, I need to keep Francis and the Kans locked up. Here we go.

I roll a 5 for my Psychic phase (THANK GOD!) and Q'Raip's Horrors rain fire and destruction on the eastern orks, who I kill down to 3 orks who then immediately run for their lives, never to return. I then run them and the Book Horrors close to both the central and western objectives, respectively. The Warp Storm is Calm. In Combat, the Bloodcrushers knock out the last Kan. The Bloodcrushers are still blessed by the book. Things are looking up.

Top of Turn 5

Of course, in the next ork turn, the Boyz run down the steps of the temple and assault Q'Raip and his guys, killing them all. However, in a crazy streak of luck, my blue horrors kill four orks (!) on the way out. In combat, Francis stays locked with the Bloodcrushers, just as he should.

Bottom of Turn 5

Now, as of this moment, I am a little shy of having my objective sewn up. That means I'm losing 5 to 2, since Francis is in my Deployment zone and I've lost my warlord and he has an objective. I need another 2. Thankfully, my opponent rolls up another turn, so:

Turn 6
Now I've got this thing sewn up. I amble my Book Herald and his horrors onto the Western Objective, confident I can do this. I fail to bless the Bloodcrushers (and curse them instead), but I'm still optimistic as I cruise into the psychic phase. 5 dice again--sweet. I nuke the remaining orks off their objective in a torrent of rainbow fire. No problem.

Shooting phase: Warp Storm. What do I roll? THE STORM ABATES! Again. What happens? The bloodcrushers--my lovely tarpit--disappear in a puff of brimstone. It is Q'Raip's final treachery. Francis is free and frighteningly close. amphetamine parrot.

Top of Turn 6

The score is currently 5 to 2, with me in the lead. Francis clanks around, marches up, and charges my horrors. I pray that he whiffs his attacks--that I can just hang on another turn. He kills 4 Horrors. I tank instability again. They all vanish. Francis stands victorious, the only model left on the board.

Bottom of Turn 6

Lookit that smug sumbe-atch. 

Final Score
Orks: 4 (Objective + Warlord)
Daemons: Tabled (First Blood and Warlord)

Post Mortem
First of all, that was a crazy game and, despite my rotten luck, it was a ton of fun. The board looked cool, crazy things happened, and it was damned close. Let's be real here, though: I was Yhwh-condemneded robbed. Three 1-die phases in a row? Really? TWO Storm Abates? Just running the math here that's....a 1 in 280,00 chance of that happening. I mean, how ridiculous was that? My army cannot function (CANNOT) if I can't get some level of consistency from the Psychic phase and if the Warp Storm doesn't give as much as it takes away. I mean, really.

That said, a few mistakes were made. First, and most crucially, I should have kept that damned chariot another 3" away from that Dreadnought. I should have split off the Disc Herald before blocking the Francis (might've saved me a lot of pain). I also had a bit of luck, too--the Grimoire was very consistent this time around, so no complaints there.

As for my opponent, he needs to use his boys more aggressively. As sit-back and shoot troops, boyz (even shoota boyz) are pretty damned terrible. Get stuck in! He also made a crucial deployment error at the beginning by leaving his west flank so open. That said, he pulled out a win anyway, so good on him. He has requested something *other* than daemons for the next game, so we'll give the Tzeentch guys a rest for the moment.

Overall, that was a hell of a game and a lot of fun. Thanks for reading and thanks, as always, to my opponent.

Offline The GrimSqueaker

• The Badger on the Road | Staff Infection Officer | Debased Vassal Slayer | Title Barfly | XOXOXO Gossip Girl | Bent Over
  • Global Moderator
  • From the Fourth Necromantic House
Re: Campaign Game: Orks Vs Tzeentch Daemons, 750 points
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2016, 11:15:54 PM »
Tabled. So, we're going to need you to report to Chaos HR 9am Monday, m'kay?

So glad to see a battle report with maps and diagrams.
Quote from: @TracyAuGoGO
Tact is for people who are too slow witted to be sarcastic.
Drink
Knights Tippler
Quote from: Surviving the World
If you can't make fun of something, it's probably not worth taking seriously.

You have to love the smell of science in the morning. It smells of learning.... or perhaps a gas leak.

Offline Irisado

• A Light in The Grim-Darkness ~ Guns Don't Kill People, Copyright Stats Do | Farseer | Reporting Live! from the Crime Scene | Somewhat behind the times
  • Administrator
  • Soñando debajo del arco iris
  • Armies: Administrators must not play 40K
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2016, 06:55:02 AM »
That was a fantastic table to play on.  It's rare to see a river these days too, so that was a welcome bonus.  I'd have loved to play on that board.

It was a great report to read because it was so close.  I empathise with your opponent getting a bit down about how complex Daemons are to face.  I remember being rather shocked by the sheer number of weird special rules that Daemons had back in sixth edition when I played against Benis.  He was actually doing pretty well against your army though, better than I did, and templates will always do lots of damage against horde units, it's just something to get used to.  At least Orks have the numbers to absorb such losses, when my Guardians were roasted by Flamers it punched a much bigger hole in my army :D.

I think that forgetting your plan was the big problem here.  Yes, the Dreadnought was too close, but your opponent still had to roll above average to make that charge.  Splitting your Warlord and Screamers would have helped, so I think that was the more significant issue.  Still, you couldn't do much about the lousy dice rolling.  If your psychic phases had been better, you would have most likely won.  Regardless, it was a very enjoyable battle to read, and I hope that it was as fun for you to play.  Your presentation is excellent.  Maps really do make a battle report so much better to read :).

You haunt my in-box like an ex-girl friend could only dream of.

The Forum Rules - Please Read and Remember Them.

Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Offline Wyddr

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2016, 09:47:48 AM »
Well, if the Dred hadn't managed the charge, I wouldn't have needed to split the Screamers and Herald, which honestly wasn't an ideal choice in any event. Yeah, though, anytime I lose that Herald, bad stuff happens. 3 warp charge is a lot to lose.

Glad you guys liked the report. Next time I believe the Imperial Fists will be dusted off and get a shot at the orks.

Offline Irisado

• A Light in The Grim-Darkness ~ Guns Don't Kill People, Copyright Stats Do | Farseer | Reporting Live! from the Crime Scene | Somewhat behind the times
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2016, 10:46:48 AM »
How about taking your Thousand Sons against Orks?  That's a match-up I've never seen, and would make for a very interesting report.

Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Offline Wyddr

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2016, 04:54:36 PM »
Ksons against orks? <shudder> That would be awful. I'd lose so badly it would be embarrassing.

Besides, I think roboknee is tired of the psychic phase for a while.

Offline The GrimSqueaker

• The Badger on the Road | Staff Infection Officer | Debased Vassal Slayer | Title Barfly | XOXOXO Gossip Girl | Bent Over
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2016, 01:01:54 AM »
Think of the GLORY! Wait, that may be my Twitter account speaking. However, got to admit the disparity sounds fun for a beer and peanuts weekend.
Drink
Knights Tippler

You have to love the smell of science in the morning. It smells of learning.... or perhaps a gas leak.

Offline Irisado

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2016, 05:19:22 AM »
Ksons against orks? <shudder> That would be awful. I'd lose so badly it would be embarrassing.

As Rummy says, think of the glory ;).

There must be a way to make a viable list to take on the Orks, even if the chances of defeat outweigh the chances of victory.  Also, the psychic phase for Thousand Sons is somewhat less complicated than it is for Daemons, so I'm sure that it wouldn't pose a problem.

Offline Wyddr

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2016, 07:26:11 AM »
There must be a way to make a viable list to take on the Orks, even if the chances of defeat outweigh the chances of victory.  Also, the psychic phase for Thousand Sons is somewhat less complicated than it is for Daemons, so I'm sure that it wouldn't pose a problem.

The complication of the Daemons psychic phase is what makes it effective, though. The current Tzeentch lore is *actually good,* especially against hordes. The Chaos Tzeentch Lore? Blech. Miserable, miserable.

Is there a way to build an effective anti-ork Kson list? Probably, but not at 1000 points (which is about as much as Robo can field right now). And it would probably have to include daemons. Summoning has been the equalizing crutch I've been leaning on for Ksons since 6th Edition.

Offline The GrimSqueaker

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2016, 06:27:48 PM »
I think the most important aspect here is that a bunch of models are put on a field of battle and that the vast majority of them are then removed due to having been murdered most foully. Beyond that, it's all logistics basically.
Drink
Knights Tippler

Offline Wyddr

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2016, 06:57:15 PM »
I think the most important aspect here is that a bunch of models are put on a field of battle and that the vast majority of them are then removed due to having been murdered most foully. Beyond that, it's all logistics basically.

Oh, right. This is just a "game" to you and we're just supposed to have "fun."

Whatever, old man.  ;)

Offline The GrimSqueaker

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2016, 07:23:12 PM »
See, now we're getting somewhere. So, make a list of which you may inevitably be stomped into the soil. However, know you're illustrating that often war is just not fair. It's just not. All the same, pull off a victory and it's bragging rights, limited as they are, to you.

Fighting Trousers - Professor Elemental - YouTube
Drink
Knights Tippler

Offline Roboknee77

• Ork Boy
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Armies: Orks, Sisters
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2016, 09:00:39 AM »

The psychic phase makes my head hurt.  *rimshot*

Great write up, by the way.  I really do love the maps, they makes following the flow of battle very easy, and I was there.  And yeah, the terrain looked awesome, I really wish we could have done more in the river side of the map.

As stated, I screwed up deployment, I should have put the rear boyz in front of the lootas.  But of course, then your deployment would have been different.  But I'm slowly learning.

I am definitely learning that orks die like a hot knife going through melty butter.  I do get disheartened when I see half a squad melt away on the first turn before they get a chance to do anything.  I need to get used to that.

This is also the first time I've been able to get a fair size of orks into assault and see that yes, they do role a ton of dice when assaulting.  I also need to get some fast attack options to help protect my flanks.  So yeah, speed and movement is definitely something I need to work on.

I agree, you should have won this game.  I guess it makes us even for the game you won with the Imperium a few battles back.  This was also more exciting than the last two games where we basically routed each other so quickly.

I look forward to seeing what I can do against the Iron Fist

Offline Wyddr

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2016, 06:41:51 PM »
  I guess it makes us even for the game you won with the Imperium a few battles back.  This was also more exciting than the last two games where we basically routed each other so quickly.

It does indeed! What goes around, comes around.

And yeah, even though I did lose, this game was a ton of fun. It was close, had wild swings of luck, and was overall a blast.

I just wish the Warp Storm hadn't screwed me so consistently, is all.

I look forward to seeing what I can do against the Iron Fist

Imperial Fists, dammit. Imperial Fists!

Sheesh.  ::)

;)

Offline Roboknee77

• Ork Boy
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Armies: Orks, Sisters
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2016, 09:43:30 AM »
Sorry, Imperial Fists, I must have netflix shows on my mind.  :P

While the warp storm failed you on the single die rolls, I think you rolled exceptionally well when you wanted to get off powers.  Most of your powers got off and you did summon that effective tar pit against my kans and kept their invulnerable save jacked up for almost the entire battle.

But yeah, it was definitely fun and easier to say that now than in the heat of battle.

Now that I'm back from vacation I've got to give some thought to the continued direction of the campaign.  What do the Orks want to do now that they've got a foothold on this world and more gates to blow open?

Offline Wyddr

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2016, 04:18:37 PM »
Given the dice I was rolling and the odds I was taking, none of my psychic power rolls were exceptional. When you roll 3 dice and hope for one 4+, that's a fairly safe bet.

The Grimoire was pretty consistent for me, granted (that's the thing that kept the Bloodcrusher's save boosted), but that has nothing to do with the psychic phase or Warp Storm. 

Offline SKEETERGOD

• Infinity Circuit | Boss Orkountant | I used Flash Gitz and didn't lose! | KoN Warlord
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • The best upgrade for an ork, is more orks!
  • Armies: Hmmmm.... Orks?
« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2016, 07:11:50 AM »
A great battle! Just love it when the orks win (not that we ever lose).  ;D

Good stuff, haven't seen orks in action for a while, so very refreshing.  8)

The ork player made a few mistakes but the orks still pulled it off, Gork and Mork smile

"It needs but one foe to breed a war. And even those who have not swords can still die upon them" (Lady Eowyn)
     We orks are not about being the hero; We orks are about being the mob.

Quote from: angel of death 007
Skeetergod: (adj) A crazy fascination for all things combustible mixed with an unhealty lust for red paint. see also Speed Freak