News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Haemonculus Covens Book  (Read 3159 times)

Offline Plastikente

• Back Online!
  • Armies: Craftworld Eldar, Dark Eldar, Tau
Haemonculus Covens Book
« on: October 31, 2014, 08:25:47 AM »
Has anyone else got the new Haemy book?  I got mine yesterday, and I'm very excited by it.  The fluff is good, the illustrations are beautiful, and the formations look really useful.

The Dark Artisan is just crying out for a WWP so that you can have a Haemy and 2 pain engines appear anywhere on the table when your reserves roll comes in.  The scalpel squadron is basically Dark Eldar drop pods, letting you get that swift strike we're supposedly famous for (although, before your PfP kicks in - will have to play test and see if it is actually worthwhile).  And super-powered Grotesques are back with the Grotesquerie formation.

On top of that, they've tweaked the PfP table to make it more applicable to Coven detachments, thrown in a new warlord trait table, and added some unique wargear.

And they've chucked some bespoke missions into the back of the book.  The best looking one imho is Fear the Reaper: no objective markers are placed before the game, but instead they are generated when enemy units are wiped out.  I really like the way this represents the harvesting idea of a Realspace Raid - that's been missing since the captive-taking rules in the codex before last.

All in all, I feel like this book has achieved what the main codex has failed to do in my eyes: give some options which are unique, interesting and fit with the fluff.  Now I just have to see how it fares on the table...

Offline Wyddr

• Author Eminence: Hereticus Liber Daemonica | Fio'shas Shi
  • Lazerous Penguin
    • My blog about SF/F stuff
  • Armies: Daemons, Imperial Fists, Tau, Ksons, Vostroyans
Re: Haemonculus Covens Book
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2014, 09:41:43 AM »
The best looking one imho is Fear the Reaper: no objective markers are placed before the game, but instead they are generated when enemy units are wiped out.  I really like the way this represents the harvesting idea of a Realspace Raid - that's been missing since the captive-taking rules in the codex before last.

Okay, this sounds awesome. This single mission might make me want to start a coven army, just to try this out. Soooo cool.

Offline Ludo

• Why, you ask. Why not?
  • Armies: Marines, Flesh Tearers, Dark Eldar, Guard, Tau
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2014, 12:51:43 PM »
As soon as I read the book I went out and bought a Chronos so I could field the Dark artisan formation. 

There are also some shenanigans you can pull using a Haemonculus and the new power from pain formation.  It makes it a very effective way to pass out +1 to the level as well as fearless.

I really like the grotesquerie as well.  I just need a second squad of grotesques (which have been sold out for a month on the GW website).
Smurf Hero Extrodinaire

Offline Wyldhunt

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2014, 01:52:46 PM »
Wow.  All that sounds really cool, guys! Glad to hear the coven players out there will have a worth-while splat at their disposal.  Unfortunately, my Kabal of the Poisoned Tongue and Wych Cult of the Unquenchable Thirst don't make much use of coven units, so I'll probably pass on this splat for now.

Offline Plastikente

• Back Online!
  • Armies: Craftworld Eldar, Dark Eldar, Tau
« Reply #4 on: November 5, 2014, 12:24:22 PM »
I really like the grotesquerie as well.  I just need a second squad of grotesques (which have been sold out for a month on the GW website).
You don't want to pay through the nose for that 1-pose Finecast monster anyway.  Coven units are crying out for converting!

Buy yourself a Talos, and you'll get about 5 spare face-masks, and a load of tentacles, weapons and other bits.  Then buy some plastic kits in the right scale and make your own.  I hear that people use rat-ogres, Varghouls, Blight-kings...  If you're happy to go non-GW, Everblight Ogrun Warspears are my base unit of choice.