News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: The Orville vs Star Trek Discovery  (Read 4578 times)

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
Re: The Orville vs Star Trek Discovery
« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2018, 03:58:30 PM »
I don't have a problem with the female leads in isolation, but Hollywood is shoving it in your face at the moment, so it kind of takes away from it.

Do tell. What's bothering you here?

It's not a single show, the volume of them doing it now, kind of feels forced, like someone set a quota for it.

Offline Sir_Godspeed

• Lazerous Penguin
  • "Bees. My God" was an obscure Batman quote.
« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2018, 08:57:06 PM »
Well, you know, things are a-changing. Women are more lucrative as a market for geeky things, more women in television production, etc. I can see it getting a bit on the nose when Thor and Iron-Man and so on become female in short order (and aren't super-well written), but on the other hand there are a good few decades of pretty bad under-representation of the ladies behind us, so you know, it's better to take it calmly.

At least that's what I tell myself when I see geek-themed youtubers and blogs I used to follow suddenly turn into culture-war war-zones and everyone getting super polarized.

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2018, 02:44:49 PM »
At least that's what I tell myself when I see geek-themed youtubers and blogs I used to follow suddenly turn into culture-war war-zones and everyone getting super polarized.

I'm guessing the polarization is caused by some of the shows not been written very well or suffering from the peppa pig effect.

Offline Guildmage Aech

• FLAMER: Ego Bigger than his Common Sense Centre | 40KO's Care Bear of Spite | Dolphin Death Dealer | 40K Oracle
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Personal text
« Reply #23 on: January 15, 2018, 04:35:03 PM »
It's not a single show, the volume of them doing it now, kind of feels forced, like someone set a quota for it.

Well, half the people in the world are female (51% actually). Its a culture shift towards greater equality and that is a good thing. But we tend to notice changes more than we notice things staying the same.

Star trek has quietly been doing it for a while, because in the future discrimination is over right!

One oddity: I've found that people who LOVED DS9 are also loving Discovery. People that preferred TNG are loving The Orville. As someone very firmly in the DS9 camp, I really hope CBS finds a way to let me see it without buying a whole stupid channel.

I found DS9 a grind sometimes, it was the last series I fully watched through. It was darker and gritter which holds an appeal other treks didn't...

Ever heard of an app called Showbox? Or Kodi? Um... they're not in your appstore though.
Rules Expert 2007 | Kijayle Commemorative Award for Acid Wit 2008 | Most Notoriously Valuable Rules Expert 2009 | Most Notorious 2014