News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: How do you use YOUR Command Squad?  (Read 2755 times)

Offline Swamp Rat

How do you use YOUR Command Squad?
« on: August 13, 2011, 12:43:55 PM »
I´ve been running over my Army list recently, going over some general ideas of what i want to have. I fully intend to have a Battle Company of Mantis Warriors, and as such have created a limitless list, with everything i want in it, rather than the tactical choices. Every unit has a role, be it anti-infantry, anti-tank, or anti-Marine (it´s made for the Badab War, and such built to target marines, lots of plasma and power weapons). The one thing that has me perplexed however, is the Command Squad. It´ll have the Standard, Apothecary, and Champion, but i don´t know how to equip the veterans. Their role wont be with the Captain, but with Ahzra Redth, the Mantis Warrior special character who is more of a support character, than a front line beast.

As such, i want my Command Squad to act in a similar way, to support the other units as they go about their jobs, rather than leading from the front (my Captain will be doing that with his Assault Squad). This has left me wondering how best to do that, and so in the quest for knowledge, i ask you, how do you use your Command Squad?
the only hope you have is to accept the fact that you're already dead. And the sooner you accept that, the sooner you will be able to function the way a soldier is supposed to function -- without mercy, without compassion, without remorse. All war depends on it.

Don't cry for the Happy dead
But weep for those who dread to die.

Space Wolves Win Draw Loss - 5-3-0

Offline therealpapasmurf

• Courage and Honour
Re: How do you use YOUR Command Squad?
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2011, 05:17:17 AM »
If you arent wanting them for an assaulting role, they can be pretty potent if your gear them up with meltas, plasmas, or flamers.

Champion
Standard with Plasmagun, or meltagun, or flamer
Apothecary
2x Veterans with Plasmagun, or meltagun, or flamer

This allows for a relatively cheap unit that can specialize relatively well. How attatched are you to the champion though? While he can be handy, it may be better to replace him with another special weapon. (Hell, you could always paint him up as a champion and fluff a reason as to why he uses a gun).

Either way, command squads are good when they are cheap and focused.
"The clever combatant imposes his will on the enemy but does not allow the enemy's will to be imposed on him"

Roboute Guilliman

Offline Swamp Rat

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2011, 08:13:05 PM »
Ideally it'd be totally fluff based, so the Champion would have to stay. On the upside, he does give the unit some close combat help.

The Standard Bearer is another hard one, i', debating if he should have a power weapon AND a plasmagun, but that'd make him stupidly expensive, for a 1 wound model with no invul.

The rest are looking to be plasmagunners. Feel No Pain reduces the risk, and they can hurt any Termy Drop Pod of Doom squad.

I can only take a single power with the Librarian though, any ideas what i should take to maximise the support role? His initial power is his own that either gives out a cover save, or nightfight (i can't remember which, and i'm in a different continent to my Badab book), so a shooting attack would be fairly decent, but i can't decide which. Is Avenger worth it?
the only hope you have is to accept the fact that you're already dead. And the sooner you accept that, the sooner you will be able to function the way a soldier is supposed to function -- without mercy, without compassion, without remorse. All war depends on it.

Don't cry for the Happy dead
But weep for those who dread to die.

Space Wolves Win Draw Loss - 5-3-0

Offline Azash76

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2011, 02:53:16 PM »
I have wanted to try a command squad all bike mounted with storm shields. With the T5, and 3 up invuls  and the feel no pain and the added mobility of the bikes I think they would be a great sponge unit.

Offline Kaiju Senso

• Necrontyr Warrior
  • Ancient
  • Armies: Necrons, Guard, Tau, Marines
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2011, 09:01:07 PM »
I'd also like to know what Transport is most suited for the assaulty Command Squad. Being such a small squad, it seems getting out of a Rhino chassis and having to weather a turn of enemy shooting might be difficult. Even with the Apothecary. Would a Drop Pod be more favorable because you can hide off the table until you need to get out, wait, then assault? Or do you splurge on an expensive Assault Vehicle?