News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: General Gaming  (Read 339 times)

Offline Stumpy

• I will spread the greater good... like butter.
General Gaming
« on: December 7, 2007, 06:55:28 PM »
I have played quite a few games of 40k. But none of them have been with people I don't know. Me and my freinds aren't very stingy and openly tell each other all sorts of things about our armies, knowing it won't affect our lists or how we play. I pretty you don't have to tell them anything about your list until you have to, but how far does or dhould this go? I don't want to be stingy, but I don't want to gorge them on all my list and it's contents. How does general gaming go? Do people usually get mad if you make mistakes? I don't want to piss somebody off too bad. I'm not parinoid, I just don't want to be rude.

Offline Heretek

• General Freyberg | Out, damn'd Grot! | Ork Boy
  • Lazerous Penguin
Re: General Gaming
« Reply #1 on: December 7, 2007, 07:04:40 PM »
I pretty you don't have to tell them anything about your list until you have to, but how far does or dhould this go? I don't want to be stingy, but I don't want to gorge them on all my list and it's contents

You don't have to tell them anything, although some consider it poor sportsmanship not to do so. Personally, I prefer not being told anything about my opponent's list, it adds to the challenge.

How does general gaming go? Do people usually get mad if you make mistakes? I don't want to piss somebody off too bad. I'm not parinoid, I just don't want to be rude.

Again, it varies from person to person. If you made a mistake playing me, I'd correct you, and move on with the game. However, there are always some people who'll think you're trying to cheat, or something stupid like that. My advice is, if someone overreacts when you make a mistake, they're probably not worth playing again. Remember, everyone makes mistakes. I've been playing for a good seven years, and I still make mistakes, it happens.
« Last Edit: December 7, 2007, 07:14:39 PM by Khemri, Ho Ho Ho! »

Offline qwertypp7

« Reply #2 on: December 7, 2007, 07:08:58 PM »
Most gamers are fine with you making mistakes... Occasionally you will get a mindless fleshy pawn of the Illuminati who will make you measure everything to the fraction of an inch and call bullamphetamine parrot on every special rule you have then complain that you cheated when you beat them but they are rare and you don't ever have to play them again.
Provided you make it known that you are new to the game and that you are not yet familiar with all the rules you shouldn't have any problems and you will most likely even get some helpful advice...
Veteran Gamers don't bite you know.  ;)

Offline cormarrr

« Reply #3 on: December 7, 2007, 08:09:12 PM »
Most people are fine with the occasional mistakes as long as you they think you are not tyring to get an advantage from it.  Most 40k players are pretty cool about things if you have a good attitude.

I think it is very important when learning to play the game that you do your best to learn the rules very, very well.  This will give you the foundation you need to learn the tactics of the armies of random people.

As long as the models in the army are WYSIWYG (What you see is what you get) then most people play with "closed lists".  My play group is pretty open with lists so if you ask me what powers my Daemon Prince has I'll usually tell you.

I've found that in casual games most players are looking for a social time and want to talk about armies and tactics just as much as play the actual game.  In a tournament though, you'll just have to wait and see what powers I took!

(p.s. It's Lash)
"It's like a koala bear crapped a rainbow in my brain." - Sealab 2021