News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Paladin list for 2k  (Read 3580 times)

Offline Prophecy

Paladin list for 2k
« on: July 10, 2012, 04:57:19 PM »
I have been noticing that discussion has ensued about 6th edition but lists are not. I have decided to just try something that I feel the majority of the =I= forum could relate to by creating a paladin centered list. Many people got into paladins because it was cheap and I feel that they are actually better in this edition so I wanted to see what I could do with them. I never leave home without Coteaz so he will always be in the lists I make. I felt he was the best HQ in the last edition and now that he can pick Divination powers I think he is a total boss. I realize the list has a death star unit but I feel the list is still balanced and competitive. I took the vindicare to rid myself of any AV 14 or Pyskers that could compete with or trouble my librarian. What do you think?

Librarian: lvl 3, Might of Titan, Quicksilver, Sanctuary, Warp Rift, and 1 Servo Skull: 223 pts (Goes with Paladins)

Coteaz: 1XX pts (Goes with Paladins w/divination powers)

Paladins: Full Squad w/ Apothecary, Banner, and 4 Psycannons: 730 pts

Purifiers: Full Squad w/ 4 Psycannons, 2 Daemonhammers, and 4 Halberds: 298 pts

Vindicare: 1XX pts

Acolytes: 10 w/ bolters: 50 pts
Acolytes: 10 w/ bolters: 50 pts

Psykers: 7 w/ 3 Acolyte: 82 pts
Psykers: 7 w/ 3 Acolyte: 82 pts

Grey Knight Strike Squad: Full Squad w/ 2 Psycannons and Psyammo: 240 pts

2K on the nose!

Offline MortVader83

• There's no reason for it. It's just our policy
  • Armies: Grey Knights 5th Brotherhood, CSM, Nids, DA, SM.
Re: Paladin list for 2k
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2012, 09:45:05 PM »
 I think your lack of mobility is going to hurt you. With Coteaz accompanying the Paladins, they can't deepstrike. The henchman on foot will get tore up easil
"Ofcourse it's safe to smoke! I'm just loading Class-A fireworks, nothing dangerous."

Offline Prophecy

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2012, 10:41:32 PM »
What you just said is I think the list will be slow and people will shoot the things in it that were meant to be shot. Yes that is true but if you waste shots on the little stuff you won't win as I can deep strike the strike squad and I have 5 troop slots worth of troops so the likelyhood someone will actually kill all the troops/control more objectives then me is not very likely.

So I guess your tactic would be leave the deathstar alone and hope I just can't get to you. It certainly is a plan but I wouldn't bank on it unless you have mass flyers or skimmers.

Offline MortVader83

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2012, 05:33:11 PM »
 Actually i had a lot more to say on the list, but my cheapo Androidâ„¢ hates me and deleted 2/3rds of my post when it locked up lol. Didn't notice til now sorry.

First off, I should have started my first post with "I like it, but I think...". With the heavier importance on scoring units/ objectives, the need for a core survivable scoring unit rises. And 5+ isn't hard to surpass, even in cover. Once they are gone there goes the chance to score objs. and/or up to four KPs. I was going to suggest dropping PML3 and half your Purifiers for some transports or maybe an Aegis line. I think it would work a bit better.

As for my tactics vs. this list...

With my GKs I'm going to sac my usual two rhinos/RBs to force your deathstar to move way out of the way, or waste a couple of turns shooting/assaulting. I will pick at them, but ignore till they are within 12" mostly. While that happens i zoom by your one servo skull to banish it, then camp in a nice cozy spot to pump out warpquake and PC shots. Henchmen are easy kills for SS and termies in a SR. Eventually my paladins will meet yours. Fun grenades +GM will help tip the scale there.

With my CSM. Same as above kinda. Oblits tackle the deathstar using plasma cannons after being herded by rhinos. CSM units make short work of henchmen then combine fire on Pur/Pals. The Vindicare can make friends with my winged princes.. R
"Ofcourse it's safe to smoke! I'm just loading Class-A fireworks, nothing dangerous."

Offline Prophecy

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2012, 09:33:22 PM »
You are going to attempt to herd a list that has the best transport popping gun in the game for the points with the easiest transport in the game to kill....not to mention Initiative 10. Also you have 2 whole rhinos...you would need at least 5 to attempt that tactic. No I'm sorry neither list scares me. It is called reserve you just put the stuff you know your opponent wants to shoot at in there and have them come out when you need them. Since they all have rapid fire at 24 or assault capabilities it doesn't matter whatsoever if they start on or off the board.  Also a Librarian trumps a GM in a fight. 

Plasma is mean but unless you camp in a corner and have 9 oblits with 2 daemon princes it just doesn't phase me.

I have read the lists you make and they lack finesse. You choose units that are based off power and nothing more. Try some non power armored units/books that have some major weaknesses. You will learn a lot more with less armor at your back.

Offline MortVader83

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2012, 02:55:45 AM »
 Yes, i would use two rhino chassis, that are pretty much going to die anyways, to stall a 700pt unit. I am banking on you to have to waste psycannon shots on AV11 rather than my infantry. If stacked right you either have to kill them and then move either around or through them which will slow you down. Or you ignore them and still have to deal with mobile cover and LoS blockage that will slow you down. All the while i am easily boltering down henchman.  They can get to objectives in their own deployment easily enough, but i see them getting chewed apart if they have to travel at all. Even in cover a drive by flaming is all it will take to wipe or make them run. I'd also welcome seeing someone keep nearly half their foot-slogging army in reserve. That's quite a distance to hoof it on a 5+ save. Just saying that 80% of your units that matter the most for 83% of the standard missions fold under any kind of attack and are easy pickings being on foot. So you got a deathstar and two units of power armour to back them up at objectives. That means little to no contesting in three of the five obj. missions. Granted FNP is ridiculous on Paladins now, they are still only one unit. They can only in one place at a time. Out killing, or protecting one of your scoring units. In that case i will just leave you to stay there, maybe take some pot shots, as that is two units out of my way. They are better used out killing. Trust me, some mobility could only help.

As for GM vs Libby. The GM has more atk's at a better WS and inv. save, stock. Odds are on the GM w/o any upgrades. Start adding on and it gets worse with grenades and master-crafting.  It really comes down to who gets the charge and forces I1 on the other.

So 2/3 of the armies I own are 3+ based. My other one has horrible saves, no invulns to speak of really, and a horrid lack of assault grenades. I can tell ya that small units on foot with poor saves die easily. Go count the number of 10 man foot-slogging vets you see. There is probably a reason for it.

I felt he was the best HQ in the last edition and now that he can pick Divination powers I think he is a total boss. I realize the list has a death star unit but I feel the list is still balanced and competitive. I took the vindicare to rid myself of any AV 14 or Pyskers that could compete with or trouble my librarian. What do you think?

Librarian: lvl 3, Might of Titan, Quicksilver, Sanctuary, Warp Rift, and 1 Servo Skull: 223 pts (Goes with Paladins)

Coteaz: 1XX pts (Goes with Paladins w/divination powers)

Paladins: Full Squad w/ Apothecary, Banner, and 4 Psycannons: 730 pts

Purifiers: Full Squad w/ 4 Psycannons, 2 Daemonhammers, and 4 Halberds:

I have read the lists you make and they lack finesse. You choose units that are based off power and nothing more. Try some non power armored units/books that have some major weaknesses. You will learn a lot more with less armor at your back.

Aren't those all very powerful units that you are relying on? Over half the army even. Only thing you are missing is a couple of Psi-rifle dreads and Draigo and you have the whole gang of units taken only for their power from C:GK. In my defence on my lists, you have seen yet but a tiny fraction of the lists i run. Just idea lists and semi-competitive play. Never have i even posted one with even close to a large of deathstar as your list here. Mine are generalyy

Offline ~Iron Captain Softy~

• The Flesh is Weak!
  • Armies: Ghost Knights
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2012, 05:11:32 AM »
I've been testing Paladins in a serious way recently, and I think the only thing that makes it work is Draigo.

For one, Draigo is tougher and has EW. That, in conjunction with his shield, combines into a powerful aegis against the anathema of paladins (S8+ ap2 weaponry). Along with the new rules for FNP, Draigo increases the survivability of the Paladin squad exponentially, allowing them to stay on the battlefield long enough to fulfill their roles as both a gargantuan distraction and steamroller.

Another thing he has going is GS and granting Paladins troop status. Paladins as Elites become a huge liability in objective missions, as the opponent can afford to ignore the paladins and hit your achilles heel with impunity. Once the block of insanity is scoring, the opponent has no choice but to engage them, allowing you to shape the confrontation into something very favorable to you. GS helps further by making even more units scoring or more effective killers, further drowning the opponent's priority list in bad decisions.

Another thing I would caution against is relying on psychic powers to do all your work. While Librarians are powerful when uncontested, they are much more susceptible to anti-psychic tactics while simultaneously useless against enemy psykers casting blessings. Thanks to the allies system, Eldar Farseers and Rune Priests are much more accessible to just about everyone, meaning that anyone could have runes of warding or rune staves. While I'm not advocating the complete abstinence from psykers, I'm saying that you should perhaps use units that do not rely solely on casting powers to contribute to the army.
They've got us surrounded? That simplifies the problem.
-General Lewis "Chesty" Puller, USMC

Offline WisdomLS

• Ork Yoof
  • BLOOD FOR THE ..... emperor?
  • Armies: SM (BA, BT, DA), Orks, Daemons, CSM, GK, IG
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2012, 08:08:20 AM »
I agree with IC Softy, if you spending that many points on pdins then draigo is a must, the survivability boost is increadable with the look out sir rules and being troops is a huge bonus.

You could trade in your libby and one squad of guardsmen for draigo and you army becomes alot more challenging to take on.

I'm also not sold on the foot based henchman squads, paladin squads are so tough to shoot with normal weapons most opponent just won't bother and wipeout the rest of your army instead, a couple of chimera's would give you mobility, protection and some extra heavy weapons - they don't come for free unfortuantly :-\

Offline Prophecy

« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2012, 08:05:07 PM »
It's an experiment to be honest but I will certainly consider these thoughts. I don't own draigo sadly but I can work on it. I have been working on fantasy lists lately as the new unofficial Dogs of War book was released a few months ago. If anyone has dogs of war models they don't want you have my attention...also a metal draigo.

Offline enlg

• I like editing stuff.
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2012, 09:50:21 PM »
Just hopping in with no real advise....but

The points costs you've listed (or x'd out) do add up to 2000pts, but what you've written for the 2nd paladin squad definitely does not come out at 298pts.... Did you intend to write that as a 5-man paladin squad? The 4 psycannons would beg to differ, but who knows.

-and to give a tiny bit of critique, the lack of a grand master seems pretty big. Even in kill points games, the reroll certain wound rolls ability is pretty brutal when you have psycannons+storm bolters with psybolts, since they already wound so often.

-Draigo is very nice with his high number of wounds, and if you really want them to have an apothecary, he will be insanely hard to take down thanks to his eternal warrior.

Offline Prophecy

« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2012, 10:29:19 PM »
That's because it isn't a Paladin squad. It most certainly says purifiers.

Looks like I need a draigo!