News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Gate of Infinity  (Read 1661 times)

Offline Tamuz

Gate of Infinity
« on: April 13, 2009, 04:10:44 PM »
Can the Librarians Gate of Infinity power be used to escape from combat?

The consensus from our group is that it can't (which I am perfectly happy with, since I play Daemons) however our reasoning for this is somewhat flimsy.

What are other peoples thoughts on the matter?

Offline Guildmage Aech

• FLAMER: Ego Bigger than his Common Sense Centre | 40KO's Care Bear of Spite | Dolphin Death Dealer | 40K Oracle
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Personal text
Re: Gate of Infinity
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2009, 04:17:40 PM »
Its hard to produce a clear proof whether he can or not.

Some say the fact that you can't move while in combat means that you can't use GoI because its a form of movement (often pointing at the different wordings in things like the Ork 'ere we go, or Necron Teleportation abilities as showing powers that do have such an exception).

Some say that GoI simply states to remove the models and deep strike them, pointing out that a specific rule to do so ought over-ride the general 'don't move' rule for being in combat. Generally making the case that removing models from the table isn't a type of movement descibed in the rulebook (similar to how casualties can be removed from the table without breaking the no moving while in combat rule either).

All we know is hes called the Stig. Um, sorry, I mean its hard to be sure either way... personally I believe in being generous and allowing it, but thats just my opinon.
Rules Expert 2007 | Kijayle Commemorative Award for Acid Wit 2008 | Most Notoriously Valuable Rules Expert 2009 | Most Notorious 2014

Offline Tamuz

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2009, 04:33:49 PM »
The trouble is that when you play an entirely CC army, and rely on locking down the enemy in CC, allowing them to just leap back out is a bit more than just generous (and I don't see much generosity when I deepstrike too close to things).

I am pretty sure that removing something from the table doesn't count as movement per se, however most of our gaming group are of the opinion that it doesn't work because other similar powers with the ability to escape combat have it explicitly stated while gate does not.

If no-one can provide any evidence either way then I think I'll just request a 4+ roll for it to work when it is used against me.

Offline mrwizard76

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2009, 08:11:18 PM »
Can i just ask why 4+ and not just your roll vs. opponents roll?

Offline Sanctjud

• No one cares about Sanctjud's post count | Infinity Circuit
  • Absolute Chaos and SOLAR PUPPY
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2009, 08:44:56 PM »
It's essentially the same thing, but 1 die is less energy than 2 dice.
Well, you avoid ties and expend even more energy for re-rollz.

My 7 Cents.
If you meet a bear named Sanctjud in the tavern, don't get into his van for candy.  I did once....it's sticky, salty, and really not very nice. :(
Raptor Jesus will get you Tangi... oh he will.