News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: models for warrior acolytes  (Read 4646 times)

Offline small_furry_spider

• Council Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
    • www.small.furryspider.com
models for warrior acolytes
« on: October 7, 2012, 11:19:20 AM »
I am going to add grey knight allies (in the form of Coteaz and some henchmen and maybe an assassin) to my sisters list, to make them a bit more like they were before the new "codex" came out. Unfortunately, I am not sure what my options are for reasonably priced acolytes.
I am looking for the following:
carapace armour/flak armour
plasma guns
bolters

Now, IG veterans/Kaskrin seem to fit the bill but:
-I can't buy multiple plasmaguns without melta guns
-all the guys are one piece metal/finecast with hot shot lasguns, making adding bolters a pain

I guess I can buy some normal IG for the flak armour guys, but still need to get my hands on bolters that don't look unfeasibly large.

Any ideas? I am posting this here, as I can't be the only person who wants to use henchmen.

Offline Blood Hawk

• Armies: Stuff
Re: models for warrior acolytes
« Reply #1 on: October 7, 2012, 12:37:43 PM »
As far the plasma guns go GW does sell bitz of just 5 meltaguns or plasma guns that fit guardsmen link

As far as bolters, every box of basic space marines comes with enough bolters to fit every marine (except the HQs) so you should be able to find just bolters on EBay or prehaps get/trade for some from space marine players you know.  Also I know forgeworld sells sets of bolters in various styles such as this or this.

For models what some guard players I have seen have done is just add greenstuff plates onto basic cadian shock troops (mainly on the legs and arms) and paint the greenstuff the same as the rest of the armor and use that for carapace armor.

Offline MortVader83

• There's no reason for it. It's just our policy
  • Armies: Grey Knights 5th Brotherhood, CSM, Nids, DA, SM.
« Reply #2 on: October 7, 2012, 01:27:33 PM »
 As I stated in Hymirl's Crusader thread I use DA veterans sans backpack for my henchmen. I used mostly bare heads to keep thoughts that they were in power armor down, but can add on backpacks if I want to put them in PA.
"Ofcourse it's safe to smoke! I'm just loading Class-A fireworks, nothing dangerous."

• Council Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #3 on: October 7, 2012, 04:31:12 PM »
Thanks guys for the suggestions. The plasma guns look ideal, and you are right I should be able to pick up some bolters. Bodies are a bit trickier, mainly because I plan to have a couple of flak armoured acolytes with bolters as meat shields. The dark angel veterans (or indeed SM scouts that your suggestions led me onto) would be good for carapace armoured models, but they probably are not a good match size wise for ordinary guardsmen, which is what I would have to base my flak armoured ones on.  Grrr...
I would like to avoid green stuffing Cadians if at all possible.

-any further suggestions?

Offline Guildmage Aech

• FLAMER: Ego Bigger than his Common Sense Centre | 40KO's Care Bear of Spite | Dolphin Death Dealer | 40K Oracle
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Personal text
« Reply #4 on: October 7, 2012, 05:22:37 PM »
As one option, don't bother with carapace armour. It's far too expensive when you could buy more guys with boltguns.

Actually I'll make a new thread rather than hijack yours as I'm looking at the same thing you are.
Rules Expert 2007 | Kijayle Commemorative Award for Acid Wit 2008 | Most Notoriously Valuable Rules Expert 2009 | Most Notorious 2014

• Council Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #5 on: October 7, 2012, 06:14:31 PM »
As one option, don't bother with carapace armour. It's far too expensive when you could buy more guys with boltguns.

I am only looking at carapace for the plasma gunners- it only adds ~30% to their cost, and with three in a unit, I will be taking 1 gets hot saving throw a turn and it keeps them alive longer once their meat shields have gone.

Offline MortVader83

• There's no reason for it. It's just our policy
  • Armies: Grey Knights 5th Brotherhood, CSM, Nids, DA, SM.
« Reply #6 on: October 7, 2012, 06:27:25 PM »
 Here's a couple of pics I just took for a size comparison. If you ask me the difference is minor. The storm Trooper is within a couple of milimeterd of the PAGK, and both human Inquisitors are the same size even.

I forgot to mention I have left the shoulder pads off of the DA sourced henchmen. Hope this helps.
"Ofcourse it's safe to smoke! I'm just loading Class-A fireworks, nothing dangerous."