News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Squiggoth Rampage, an Ork Special Mission  (Read 2186 times)

Offline OD from TV

• Ork Warlord | Title of Doom status: pending | KoN Veteran
  • Lazerous Penguin
    • OD's Project Blog
Squiggoth Rampage, an Ork Special Mission
« on: March 7, 2016, 09:29:44 PM »
Waaaaagh on boyz, today I present to you an Orky Special Mission!

This Mission is ideally played as Ork v. Ork, but can easily work against any army with minor adjustments.  All you need to play this scenario is the basic requirements for 40k (two players, books, dice, tape measure, table, armies, and time), and something to represent the Squiggoth (bonus points for finding a suitably large Dino and converting it into a real Squiggoth!).  I would recommend the rules for a Big Squiggoth without any weapons attached, but feel free to use a Gargantuan Squiggoth if you want to play on Hard Mode (more like Insanity, see the Gargantuan Squiggoth section below the scenario rules).

Fluffy Bitz
The Snakebite Pigdok Badscab has been at it again, bragging to the shantytown of Drzz and neighboring Wort Gulch about just how amazing his new breed of Squiggoth is.  Badscab has done this so much that the Warlords of each town were ready to kill the Pigdok the next time he showed his face.

Unbeknownst to them however, was that the Pigdok had already met with his fate, underneath the giant foot of his prized creation.  Running into both towns came a throng of frightened Snotlings and Gretchen, screaming about the rampaging Squiggoth. The race to capture or kill was on!

Set Up
6x4 table with a Modified Hammer and Anvil deployment (at maximum each side can deploy 12” from the table edge).  Place several patches of Terrain about, and a Squiggoth in the center of the table as the Primary Objective.

Mission Special Rules
Rampaging Squiggoth!
BEFORE the start of each PLAYER's Movement Phase (aka the beginning of each Player turn) roll 2D6 and a Scatter Die.  The Squiggoth moves that many inches in the direction represented by the Arrow (yes there is an arrow on the direct hit symbol). 
If the Squiggoth would run off the board or into Impassable Terrain, the Squiggoth stops 1" away.
Should the Squiggoth come into contact with any models, treat this as a Tank Shock that cannot be Death or Gloried and inflicts D6 Str6 Wounds.  In the instance of the Squiggoth rampaging into a vehicle, treat the Squiggoth as having Front Armor 12 and follow the Tank Shock/Ramming rules located in the Big Rule Book pg 92-93.

Primary Objective
Claim Dat Squiggoth!
The Squiggoth can be boarded by either army as if it was a Transport with a capacity of 10 that cannot carry any Bulky, Very Bulky, or Extremely Bulky models.  Should this occur, the gain 3 Victory Points and control of the Squiggoth.  A Squiggoth that becomes under a Player's control cannot perform any actions for the rest of the Player Turn.  The Squiggoth will remain in the player’s control provided that at least 1 model he purchased in points remains boarded on the Squiggoth.

Zog it, lets Kill the Thing!
The Squiggoth can be shot at by either army.  Should you successfully kill the Squiggoth you gain D3 Victory Points.

Secondary Objectives
First Blood
Linebreaker
Slay the Warlord
Blood and Gutz (Tactical Objective #52)
More Dakka! (Ork Tactical Objective #11)

Game Length
The Game lasts 6 turns or until the Squiggoth is removed as a casualty.  Should the Squiggoth be removed as a casualty, both players will receive 1 final player turn before the game is officially ended.

Alternate Fluff if playing against an Army of the Imperium
Biologist Magos Arthum as been attempting to catalogue the gene structure of the Orkoid form known as a Squiggoth.  He has theorized that if he should obtain a living specimen of such a beast he may be able to synthesize a form of toxin that would neutralize Orkoids natural aggressive tendancies. 

If such a breakthrough development can be made, it would drastically alter the Imperium’s ability to defend itself against the Orks, and even grant them a greater ability to retake worlds that have long been held by the vicious Greenskins.

Hard Mode, or the Gargantuan Squiggoth version
As I said in the beginning, a Gargantuan Squiggoth is a massively different beast than the Big Squiggoth to which this game was ideally written for, this is due to the Gargantuan Squiggoth dramatically increased point cost, but also due to the Gargantuan Creature rules, twice the number of Wounds, and variety of ranged weapons that don’t exist on a Big Squiggoth.  So some adjustment is needed.

• The player who does not claim the Big Squiggoth could (or should) receive an additional D3+3 Fast Attack Anti Tank choices such as Warbuggies (Orks), Land Speeders (Marines), Sentinels (IG), etc.  This would provide at least a measure of balance that becomes immensely required.  Should this option be in place, I would recommend that such units be placed immediately in the Player’s Reserves.
  • When it comes to the Ranged Weapons of a Gargantuan Squiggoth, I feel that it is necessary to institute a house rule of some kind with your opponent.  The best compromise I believe is to allow the Squiggoth a single round of Shooting with all its weapons, but you or your opponent may want to go whole hog with the Squiggoth and choose to ignore that suggestion.  In any case, it is something you need to discuss prior to playing the game.
  • Because the Gargantuan Squiggoth is a much larger and stronger beast then the Big Squiggoth, you may want to increase the Damage from the Rampaging Squiggoth to Strength 10.

So what you boyz think?  Sound like a fun match you want to try?

Peace
~OD
« Last Edit: March 7, 2016, 09:30:49 PM by OD from TV »
Truly beautiful work. That's the kind of stuff that makes a true mekanik cry tears of joy.
OD, you once again prove that your are still the freakin Da Vinci of plasticard

Offline Ork E Nuff

• Ork Boy
  • 'ere WE go, 'ere WE go, 'ere WE go!!!!!
  • Armies: Orks, SM (occassionally)
Re: Squiggoth Rampage, an Ork Special Mission
« Reply #1 on: March 8, 2016, 05:07:06 PM »
Ok...I'm off to find a suitable model for my squiggoth...I had a large plastic rhino (the animal not the other kind) that I always wanted to convert...we'll see.

Now all I really have to do is find the said opponent...crap inna hat...

Blood n Guts is nuffin more dan bio-d-gradible axle grease.....Remember, that which does not kill you, will only try harder the next time...I've named me attack squig "Skippy"....is that wrong?

Offline OD from TV

• Ork Warlord | Title of Doom status: pending | KoN Veteran
  • Lazerous Penguin
    • OD's Project Blog
« Reply #2 on: March 8, 2016, 05:19:54 PM »
I'm thrilled you want to give it a try Ork E Nuff!  Now that I have my Big Squiggoth built, I kinda want to see what he'll be like in this scenario. 

Much like the Morkanaught, I don't think I'll be using this guy for anything other then something interesting in the display case, which is why I had to write a scenario.  If you get a chance, please make a WiP thread in the conversion board, I know I want to see how you'll super squig that Rhinoceros.

Now all I really have to do is find the said opponent...
Unfortunately I too will have a long wait of a month or so before my favorite home game Skumgrod gets back into town, but think of it a different way.  You have the time to really build up and develop your tactics on how best to do the mission.

Do you go footslogger in the hopes that most of your force doesn't get trampled as they try to capture the beast, do you zoom in close with a transport only to hope the squig doesn't scatter too far away from where you jumped out the trukk?  Do you try and hope to bubblewrap capture the squiggoth with Grots (oh wait that probably wouldn't work *squish* eww I got Grot guts all over my favorite shirt!)

Peace
~OD
Truly beautiful work. That's the kind of stuff that makes a true mekanik cry tears of joy.
OD, you once again prove that your are still the freakin Da Vinci of plasticard

Offline SKEETERGOD

• Infinity Circuit | Boss Orkountant | I used Flash Gitz and didn't lose! | KoN Warlord
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • The best upgrade for an ork, is more orks!
  • Armies: Hmmmm.... Orks?
« Reply #3 on: March 9, 2016, 09:02:07 AM »
Dang.. I just sold off my mumak. (quitting LOTR) Hmmm, wonder if I can steal it back  :-[

I might just have to recruit my son (who plays IG) to play a game as he is coming home on vacation, at the end of this month. I will find something suitable for the squiggoth.

Reminds me of an old fantasy game where the meandering herd of cows wandered the battle field and got in the way of charges, line of sight, etc. A hoot to play.
"It needs but one foe to breed a war. And even those who have not swords can still die upon them" (Lady Eowyn)
     We orks are not about being the hero; We orks are about being the mob.

Quote from: angel of death 007
Skeetergod: (adj) A crazy fascination for all things combustible mixed with an unhealty lust for red paint. see also Speed Freak