News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: 60 Years of Victory  (Read 2543 times)

Offline Vespasian Swiper

• Dear Live Journal...
  • Damn Dora...
    • Club DM
60 Years of Victory
« on: July 10, 2005, 12:20:07 PM »
As some of you may be aware that it is the 60th Anniversary of the ending of WWII.
Post any thoughts or messages here in commeneration of this great event.
In rememberance of those who fell.

~Swipe.
Its an even stranger day when you have a fat Games Workshop-Fanboy Ninja declare to end you for something you did for April Fools on Teh Interwebz.

It's a strange day in the world where I find myself agreeing more often than not with Swiper.  :D

Offline Chi no Tenshi

• Erstens kommt es anders, zweitens als man denkt.
Re: 60 Years of Victory
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2005, 12:26:41 PM »
My thoughts go to all the victims.

It's scaring that so little was learned of WWII, sometimes I wonder if war is a part of mankind - at least when there are to much of them.
'The Red Thirst is the Blood Angels' darkest secret and greatest curse, but it is also their greatest salvation, for it brings with it a humility and understanding of their own failings which make the Blood Angels the most truly noble of Legion Astartes'

Offline Jarem Asyder

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2005, 12:27:28 PM »
lets hope that after 60 years, the devastation of that war continues to act as a reminder for future generations of the attrocities of war, ignorance, fear, turning the other cheek to those who are in need, and the destructive power of the atom.

Offline Eridain

• Kein Blut fuer Oel!!!
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2005, 01:07:35 PM »
lets hope that after 60 years, the devastation of that war continues to act as a reminder for future generations of the attrocities of war, ignorance, fear, turning the other cheek to those who are in need, and the destructive power of the atom.

i suppose people in europe remember the destruction and thus are more reluctant to go to war, e.g. france, germany, russia,...

americans have not experienced a major war on their territory since the 1860s, so there are no old people that tell them what total and utter destruction means. perhaps thats the reason they seem to me so gung-ho about going to war. (i know this is not all americans, but its the picture you get from their government).

the thing that bothers me is that people and the media tend to bring up history again and again and dont tire to show ww2, but turn away from darfour and other genocides like rwanda and eritrea. seems only a few have learned from the past, and especially those that were hit hardest, because they know what its like to lose everything.

if that doesnt change, whats it worth to commemorate past deeds!?

Offline Captain Hajime

• 1st Regiment Fuji System
    • Captain Hajime's Warhammer Web site
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2005, 04:09:48 PM »
Lest We Forget!
"Men from different wordls, with different views, bound together by loyality to the Emperor. This is what we have become." Captain Hajime
"I have remembered, I do remember, I will always remember."
Imperial Guard, Space marines and Ork Collector.
First Fuji Regiment W: 0 L:     2 D: 4
Tenno No Samurai W: 1 l: 5 D: 7

Offline Dark Exodus

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2005, 07:15:01 PM »

Yup.

Offline Chuckles, The Space Marine Clown

• Can't Touch This; Captain; Swarmlord - Tyranid Sweatshop Operator; 40KO's Official WMD; "No American orphans, please"
  • Ancient
  • I kill, maim and torture because I care
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2005, 07:17:45 PM »
Well we didn't forget Poland here, thank God (not something I'm in the habit of doing)

The forum rules are fair and just. *twitch*

Offline Captain Leonidas

• Our Little Red Friend - Captain
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Sword of Santiago
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2005, 09:19:18 PM »
For us people of the third world, with world war 2 that ended we celebrate the death of British Empire (who got bankrupt and militaryly weak), Japanese colonialism, Dutch (and many other myriad of European colonizer) and the rise of independence of the ex colonials from the ashes of these Empires.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2005, 09:23:19 PM by Commissar Leonidas »
Signature Pending Update :P

Offline Eridain

• Kein Blut fuer Oel!!!
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2005, 04:44:38 AM »
well, understandable, but without some of these imperialists many of these countries would not have gotten rid of the japanese, think about that. and ww2 was just the beginning of an" independence movement". most countries got their independence during the late 50s or early 60s. the cause was undeniably the outcome of ww2, but it took some time afterwards.

yep. it was the end of the empire, and thats why the british always come up with nazi history. they won, but somehow they also lost.

Offline Chuckles, The Space Marine Clown

• Can't Touch This; Captain; Swarmlord - Tyranid Sweatshop Operator; 40KO's Official WMD; "No American orphans, please"
  • Ancient
  • I kill, maim and torture because I care
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2005, 05:30:33 AM »
Hey, we're sorry for what we did, but in WW2, we drew a line, and did Germany cross it? My tiny shiny heiny did they.
The forum rules are fair and just. *twitch*

Offline Captain Hajime

• 1st Regiment Fuji System
    • Captain Hajime's Warhammer Web site
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2005, 07:13:18 AM »
Hey, we're sorry for what we did, but in WW2, we drew a line, and did Germany cross it? My tiny shiny heiny did they.

To be corrrect, it is very imporant to note that European powers drew several lines and Hitler crossed them all, and then Europe acted.
"Men from different wordls, with different views, bound together by loyality to the Emperor. This is what we have become." Captain Hajime
"I have remembered, I do remember, I will always remember."
Imperial Guard, Space marines and Ork Collector.
First Fuji Regiment W: 0 L:     2 D: 4
Tenno No Samurai W: 1 l: 5 D: 7

Offline Sith Spawn

« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2005, 07:37:10 AM »
Like some third world countrys the republic of ireland probly wouldve taken longer if not for ww2, still irc germany had drawn up plans for invading ireland I believe but ditched it for obious reasons.

Also germany provided weapons to ireland for obious reasons too ;)

Offline Eridain

• Kein Blut fuer Oel!!!
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2005, 12:56:32 PM »
Like some third world countrys the republic of ireland probly wouldve taken longer if not for ww2, still irc germany had drawn up plans for invading ireland I believe but ditched it for obious reasons.

wrong, no plans for an invasion of ireland in ww2, they bombed dublin by mistake (thought it was belfast).

during ww1 the 2nd reich provided irish separatists with weapons. the kaiser wanted to support them with their uprising 1916, the rest is history.

problem with remembering ww2 is that people only think of who won and who lost, but dont see that there are no winners after a war. remembrance should be centered around the idea that it is our heritage to prevent any genocides. however, people and governments do the former instead of the latter, sad as it is.

Offline Sith Spawn

« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2005, 01:30:02 PM »
Bah probly did get it confused up, though I strangly couldve sword I read in my history book aboat an operation green or someting that never got used. :o

Would check my history book again but im lazy and its so far away :D

Offline alienspokinatcha

• Burny Goodness!
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2005, 11:12:40 PM »
If hitler scrapped plans to invade russia for conquest and invaded britian through the english channel , we'd be in all sorts of hell.

America would get involved and Russia (possibly on the axis front)

remember that after the fall of the third reich the west became enemies of the ussr.

the colapse of the colonials , you might think was a good thing , but it aint.

look at the middle east today from the collapse of the ottoman empire and subsequent selling out by the british diplomats. The middle east in a great state of despotism , fundamentalism and violence. look at the false nationalisation of the arabs (caused more wars than it ever has or will prevent war).

look at the continent of africa which is full of warlords , civil wars and famine , its just dandy that the colonials left the place to deteriorate into chaos.

look at isreal , the agressive power broker of the middle east , who is practically promising the world future problems

look at china , the massive communist state who tortures , interrogates and restricts human rights and easily gets away with it because capitialist dont want to risk their profit interests there.....

What do we have for entertainment?; cops kicking gypsies on the pavement! - Joe Strummer

''When freedom rises from the killing floor
No lock of iron or rivet can restrain the door
And no kind of army can hope to win a war
Like trying to stop the rain or still the lion's roar
Like trying to stop the whirlwind scattering seeds and spores
Like trying to stop the tin cans rapping out jailhouse semaphore...'' - "48864"

Offline Anatolian Guy

• Only a few thousand years old....
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2005, 11:26:19 PM »
I guess there is nothing to celebrate, is still has not ended as alienspokinatcha or Eridain has appointed. There are still many problems that the war left and the world has not finished.

Commisar Leonidas, even third world has nothing to celebrate, all those empires and regimes fell but an imperialist country arised an it has caused as many problems as any before it and you know who I'm talking about.
For evil to prevail good people must do nothing.

Offline Lomendil

• Mad Prophet of Commorragh
  • Ancient
  • If it's comprehensible, it's obselete
« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2005, 11:38:32 PM »
If you want a positive spin on WWII then just consider the alternative outcomes - a Europe entirely dominated by either the Nazis or by Stalin. Think what that would have meant for the world.

Offline alienspokinatcha

• Burny Goodness!
« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2005, 12:41:39 AM »
If you want a positive spin on WWII then just consider the alternative outcomes - a Europe entirely dominated by either the Nazis or by Stalin. Think what that would have meant for the world.

Europe would never and can never be totally dominated as a whole. Even the romans were unable to do that.
What do we have for entertainment?; cops kicking gypsies on the pavement! - Joe Strummer

Offline Scars

• Warning: He bites
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Spooky! Shocking!
    • Progressive Labour Party
« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2005, 01:45:51 AM »

No, the IRA appealed to Nazi Germany for weapons, as it had done during WWI (where the IRA recieved weapons from Imperial Germany) but the request was denied. On a stranger note, the Stern Gang appealed to Nazi Germany for weapons to fight the British. The Germans never responded.
'The genius of you Americans is that you never make clear-cut stupid moves, only complicated stupid
moves'
- Abd al-Nasir
Progressive Labour Party

Offline alienspokinatcha

• Burny Goodness!
« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2005, 01:48:33 AM »
any word on the irgun?