News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Torn between where to start (500pt DE or Eldar)  (Read 1984 times)

Offline stuciferthemighty

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
Torn between where to start (500pt DE or Eldar)
« on: February 18, 2014, 08:49:00 PM »
I added up the models I own, and I have about 900pts of Dark Eldar, and about 1250pts of Eldar.  This is without upgrades or anything.  Our LGS is starting an escalation league in March, and the first rule is that your starting 500 must show up in every list you make.  I'm having a hard time decided whether or not to start DE, then add in Eldar allies, or the other way around.

My DE list:
+++ Dark Eldar core (501pts) +++

* Archon (75pts)
        Blaster (15pts), Close Combat Weapon, Kabalite Armor, Plasma Grenades
        * 3x Trueborn (91pts)
            2x Blaster (30pts), Dark Lance (25pts)
        * 6x Kabalite Warrior (54pts)
            6x Splinter Rifle
        * Raider (90pts)
            Dark Lance, Flickerfield (10pts), Nightshield (10pts), Splinter Racks (10pts)
        * Venom (65pts)
            Flickerfield, Nightshield (10pts), Twin Linked Splinter Rifles
        * 5x Wyches (60pts)
            5x Haywire grenades (10pts), 5x Plasma Grenades, 5x Splinter Pistol and Close Combat Weapon
        3x Jetbikes (66pts)

I love the look of these models and am really proud of my paintjob.  I can definitely see myself collecting these guys as my main army.  I also have more warriors, another Venom and a Raider on the way.

My Eldar list:
+++ Eldar core (500pts) +++
 * Spiritseer (70pts)
        5x Dire Avenger (65pts)
        * Exarch (30pts)       Battle Fortune (15pts) (*), Twin-Linked Avenger Shuriken Catapult (5pts)
        * Wave Serpent (145pts)
            Holo-fields (15pts) (*), Serpent Field, Shuriken cannon (10pts), Twin-linked scatter lasers (5pts)
        * 5x Wraithguard (160pts)
            5x Wraithcannon
    * Vaul's Wrath Support Battery (30pts)
            Shadow weaver
            * 2x Crew Guardian

I have a 2nd Wave Serpent for the Avengers at the next tier.  I got rid of my jetbikes, and am not really feeling the "Jetseers", so I think I might eventually add in Guardians and Rangers and Warlocks wherever they'll fit.  I think I could probably drop Vaul's Wrath and take a Farseer, but I think having Wraithguard at low points will be highly advantageous.  Expanding with the Spiritseer means I'd have to pick up way more Wraithdudes, but we can upgrade any HQ to a character at 1000pts.

Any thoughts?

Offline Slick Samos

• Que!!
  • Armies: Tau, Dark Angels & Salamanders
Re: Torn between where to start (500pt DE or Eldar)
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2014, 05:13:17 AM »
Hey Stucifer the Mighty!

Which ever is closest to being finished  ;D

Collect the models which you like the most and play around with both Eldar and Dark Eldar.  That way you can get a feel of both them and your play style :)  Currently it seems that Eldar is dominating the game at 1500pts and above, but that doesn't mean you should collect them by any means.  All armies have their season where they are 'better' but a lot of it comes down to the player.

Hope that helps,

Slick Samos
Play more games, paint more models...

Offline stuciferthemighty

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
Re: Torn between where to start (500pt DE or Eldar)
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2014, 08:28:33 AM »
Thanks Slick!  I like both a lot for different reasons.  I think I'll stick with DE to start, since I'll be the only player in my meta, and I bet there are going to be plenty of Eldar players.