News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Killersquid's Projects  (Read 74110 times)

Offline Calamity

• Concussor Concussed Dice | Captain
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Cocking up miniatures since 1998
  • Armies: Kharadron Overlords, Bloodbound, Celestial Lions
Re: Killersquid's Projects : Talons of the Emperor And Ghouls
« Reply #280 on: February 27, 2018, 06:40:35 PM »
Thanks bud! You should play AOS, it's a great game!

I second this!  And it’s a good time to start too!  :)

Offline Looshkin

• Aspect Warrior
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Once held an Utter Fear of Tiny Diamonds
  • Armies: I 'play' Eldar. Or at least horde unpainted models
« Reply #281 on: March 1, 2018, 10:57:42 AM »
Amazing Ghoul army KS. The scheme really is striking and the finish is excellent. I love how well the blood red really stands out against the stark background. Add to that the excellent bases and you've got yourself an excellently thought out and presented force.

The bases do deserve special mention actually. I'm really impressed by the effect you've achieved with the aggrellan earth. I found it really tricky to get a finish that was cracked but not too cracked, if that makes sense. Did you have to pretreat the bases or anything? I used PVA glue first, but even then the finish was spotty at best.

Great work KS, I love the update.
WD127 - Started a Love Affair my Wallet Just Can't Cope With...

Offline Lord of Winter and War

• The Cause of Diabetes -Captain- Necrontyr Immortal - KoN Veteran - Master of All Diplomacy | Wi-Fi Nomad |
  • Ancient
  • Armies: Harlequins, Spiderfang, Bonereapers, Space Wolves
« Reply #282 on: March 1, 2018, 03:37:43 PM »
Amazing Ghoul army KS. The scheme really is striking and the finish is excellent. I love how well the blood red really stands out against the stark background. Add to that the excellent bases and you've got yourself an excellently thought out and presented force.

The bases do deserve special mention actually. I'm really impressed by the effect you've achieved with the aggrellan earth. I found it really tricky to get a finish that was cracked but not too cracked, if that makes sense. Did you have to pretreat the bases or anything? I used PVA glue first, but even then the finish was spotty at best.

Great work KS, I love the update.

Thanks bud!

The base paint I apply with the texture tool GW sells, and then smooth it out to the level I want. Sort of applied like a thick paint, but not too thick. I don't pre-treat it, but I find it needs something afterwards, or it can chip off. That's one of the reasons I wash it with reikland fleshshade.  First to darken the cracks, the second is the dried wash seals the texture paint in place.

Harlequin Army Blog

That's not blatant, this is blatant: I'm super happy that I'm playing Austria, the greatest nation in all of Diplomacy!

Azore of Austria

Offline Looshkin

• Aspect Warrior
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #283 on: March 1, 2018, 05:03:30 PM »

The base paint I apply with the texture tool GW sells, and then smooth it out to the level I want. Sort of applied like a thick paint, but not too thick. I don't pre-treat it, but I find it needs something afterwards, or it can chip off. That's one of the reasons I wash it with reikland fleshshade.  First to darken the cracks, the second is the dried wash seals the texture paint in place.

Ah, that all makes sense. thanks for the tips, I may may have to give Agrellan another try! The Reikland Fleshade and subsequent dry brush really make the bases pop. Love them!

• The Cause of Diabetes -Captain- Necrontyr Immortal - KoN Veteran - Master of All Diplomacy | Wi-Fi Nomad |
  • Ancient
« Reply #284 on: March 1, 2018, 06:09:56 PM »

Ah, that all makes sense. thanks for the tips, I may may have to give Agrellan another try! The Reikland Fleshade and subsequent dry brush really make the bases pop. Love them!

No worries. Took me seeing how other people used it while I was at some tournaments to see how useful the paint really is. Its fantastic if you wash it and do a quick dry brush. Still takes almost no time to do (besides drying paint), and less messy than sand.

I don't think I want to put sand on bases ever again.

I'm pushing to finish the whole force by Sunday when I am going to be filming with a buddy of mine, so I'll take a finished shot of the 2000pts when I'm done!
Harlequin Army Blog

That's not blatant, this is blatant: I'm super happy that I'm playing Austria, the greatest nation in all of Diplomacy!

Azore of Austria

• Ancient
« Reply #285 on: March 29, 2018, 04:53:10 PM »
Played in a 2k 40k Tourniment last weekend with the Harlies. Came 16/26 players, but 2nd place for sportsmanship and painting.

Game 1 against chaos marines. His army was highly non-optimized, and along with poor deployment choices for him led to me mopping him up pretty quick, and winning almost full points.

Game 2, against 'Grey Knights'. Basically, three stormravens, Crowe and a Grandmaster plus a amphetamine parrot ton of assassins.

I got bogged down fighting assassins, but kept the score a tie until turn 5, where my army finally fell apart. Played as well and cagey as I could, but Culuxes assassins are hard to kill, and I had no way to kill a stormraven.

Game 3

Vs Knights and Admech

2 knights, big unit of Dakka-bots, Cawl and some other stuff.

This table had no line of sight blocking terrain, so he basically just shot me off the table, with each robot shooting 18 shots a turn.

Did as well as I could, killing all his troops, and one knight. The exploding knight however almost tabled my whole army. This at least was the only game I was tabled, and it took until turn 5.

Overall, a fun time. Did as well as I could against some pretty mean armies. This location is known for having pretty bad terrain for their events, and this was no exception. Line of sight blocking terrain was almost non-existent, which made shooting forces work extra well.

Makes me really excite for my codex!
Harlequin Army Blog

Azore of Austria

Offline dog_of_war

• Aspect Warrior
  • Armies: Orks, Chaos Space Marines, Eldar, Dark Eldar
« Reply #286 on: March 30, 2018, 07:55:51 AM »
You army's looking awesome on the table. I was going to say those tables are pretty sparse when it came to terrain. Where were you playing? Was that Sir Games A Lot in Barrie?

• Ancient
« Reply #287 on: March 30, 2018, 08:06:25 AM »
You army's looking awesome on the table. I was going to say those tables are pretty sparse when it came to terrain. Where were you playing? Was that Sir Games A Lot in Barrie?

Nah, Black Knight in Hamilton. Sir games a Lot has a good selection of terrain.
Harlequin Army Blog

Azore of Austria

Offline dog_of_war

• Aspect Warrior
« Reply #288 on: March 30, 2018, 09:04:48 AM »
Gotcha. Didn't look like SGA, although I haven't been there in a while.

I kind of liked the look of that lava table. I'm sure the rivers were an advantage to your skimmer based army.

• Ancient
« Reply #289 on: March 30, 2018, 09:07:38 AM »
Gotcha. Didn't look like SGA, although I haven't been there in a while.

I kind of liked the look of that lava table. I'm sure the rivers were an advantage to your skimmer based army.

They are both cool places. Sga doesn't run any of their own events though. Folks just use the space to run them. Like ridvan and the Barrie Bash.

Black Knight runs events every month, so at least it's good practice and itc points.

Where abouts are you located?
Harlequin Army Blog

Azore of Austria

Offline dog_of_war

• Aspect Warrior
« Reply #290 on: March 30, 2018, 06:16:16 PM »
I've been living in the South End of Barrie for the last 4 years now. Working in retail really limits the weekend gaming time, and SGA really only has games Saturday afternoon. Really looking for pickup games weeknights somewhere.

• Ancient
« Reply #291 on: March 30, 2018, 09:43:04 PM »
I've been living in the South End of Barrie for the last 4 years now. Working in retail really limits the weekend gaming time, and SGA really only has games Saturday afternoon. Really looking for pickup games weeknights somewhere.

Well amphetamine parrot, I had no idea. I used to live an hour away from Barrie. Well, you should hop on the wargaming Barrie Facebook page, there are always folks on there looking for games. We have a Facebook chat group too I can invite you in too. One of the guys, Ridvan, is always looking for evening games.

Harlequin Army Blog

Azore of Austria

Offline dog_of_war

• Aspect Warrior
« Reply #292 on: March 30, 2018, 10:31:23 PM »
Lol I just found that group and joined yesterday hoping to find some games. I'll definitely put some feelers out for some weeknight games. Thanks for the heads up  ;D

• Ancient
« Reply #293 on: March 30, 2018, 10:51:13 PM »
No worries bud. If you pm me your name, I can add you to the Facebook chat too if youd like. A bunch of the regulars are on there, it's not crazy active, but can be a good way of scouting out games too.

But, if you post on the Facebook page, you'll find people. I have often posted on there when I've been looking for games.

Gotta find a time we can meet up for one! If you don't mind a bit of driving, there are monthly events at Jack's on Queen in Elmville, which is always fun. Usually a bit smaller of events and slightly casual.
Harlequin Army Blog

Azore of Austria

Offline Cavalier

• One Archon to Rules Test Them All | High Corsair Prince of Painting | Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Angels, World Eaters
« Reply #294 on: April 1, 2018, 07:54:33 AM »
Hey KS good for you going out there and competing. Yet that terrain situation... all I can say is- come on bro. Whoever organized that terrain needs to go buy a couple foam insulation boards cut them up into big mountains for LOS blocking terrain. Its so easy, and its easy to store because it has such a slim footprint. You just HAVE to have it for tournament play. I can't imagine playing without that kinda terrain in any game. I appreciate it takes a lot of effort to run a tournament but you gotta have terrain.
Check out my army! Eldar Corsair Army

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

Offline Looshkin

• Aspect Warrior
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #295 on: April 4, 2018, 11:20:29 AM »
Nice tournament recap KS! I think you did particularly well considering you're still running an Index army...and then there's the terrain issue! Wow those boards looked brutal!

Really well done, especially with regards to the painting position!

Offline Ynneadwraith

• Corsair
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #296 on: April 6, 2018, 10:50:29 AM »
16/26 isn't too bad at all, but 40k Online is really rocking it in painting competitions. Nicely done!
Check out my Eldar, Exodites, Corsairs and Croneworlders :)

Eldar, Exodites, Corsairs and Croneworlders!

• Ancient
« Reply #297 on: April 7, 2018, 05:50:18 PM »
Hey KS good for you going out there and competing. Yet that terrain situation... all I can say is- come on bro. Whoever organized that terrain needs to go buy a couple foam insulation boards cut them up into big mountains for LOS blocking terrain. Its so easy, and its easy to store because it has such a slim footprint. You just HAVE to have it for tournament play. I can't imagine playing without that kinda terrain in any game. I appreciate it takes a lot of effort to run a tournament but you gotta have terrain.

All folks around know, and be-atch about the terrain at the place. It's not a big secret. But, they have ITC ranked events, and a bunch of them, so it's still worth going.

Nice tournament recap KS! I think you did particularly well considering you're still running an Index army...and then there's the terrain issue! Wow those boards looked brutal!

Really well done, especially with regards to the painting position!

Thanks bud! Sometimes clever play can help. The new ITC missions are not win/loss, but points based, so you can still do okay, even if you loose all your games. It's great for tourniment play.

16/26 isn't too bad at all, but 40k Online is really rocking it in painting competitions. Nicely done!

Yeah bud!

Harlequin Army Blog

Azore of Austria

• Ancient
« Reply #298 on: May 30, 2018, 10:16:02 PM »
Kitbashed and painted up a new Troupe Master to represent my Great Harlequins in game. Pretty stoked with how he turned out. Played a game with the new codex, and effectively tabled a Space Wolves army, with a frankly silly number of terminators. I made a lot of mistakes, but hopefully I learn from them.

And, I played a game against Cawl and four Dakka Bots. Surprisingly enough, I won that game as well, but it was a hard fought thing.

And I played a game agaisnt Thousand Sons..But lets not speak of that game lol. I didn't kill a single model. Magnus just single handedly wrecked me. got him down to 4 wounds on Turn 1, but not killing him lost me the game.

Harlequin Army Blog

Azore of Austria

Offline dog_of_war

• Aspect Warrior
« Reply #299 on: May 31, 2018, 08:15:38 AM »
That troupe master is amazing. I love the paint job. Itching to take those harlies on in a game. My dark eldar need some more trophies, but from the sounds of it, I'd have a pretty tough task at that. Congrats on winning your first few times out with the new codex!