News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: 1000pt - Grudge Match Mech List  (Read 473 times)

Offline Rudkin

• Fio'ui Kais
  • Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
1000pt - Grudge Match Mech List
« on: January 23, 2008, 10:24:24 PM »
Alright, so I have a Grudge match tomorrow against a chaos player (he's threatened to use his terminators, and I know he'll have at least one model with lightning claws; he loves those things) and thought I'd post the list for your reading pleasure. I'm trying some new things out with this list, so expect some things here and there that may not be 100% efficient:

HQ:
Shas'el; Fireknife-4 (PR/MP/MT + hwBSF) = 90

ELITE:
Stealth x5 (leader, knife) = 160
Shas'ui; Helios (PR/FB/MT) = 62
Shas'ui; Helios (PR/FB/MT) = 62

TROOPS:
Fire Warrior x10 (1-2 carbines, 'ui, knife, 'light, hwTL) = 130
++ Fish (MT, Decoy, Flechette) = 105
Fire Warrior x10 (1-2 carbines, 'ui, knife, 'light, hwTL) = 130
++ Fish (MT, Decoy, Flechette) = 105

FAST:
Piranha (TA, FB, Decoy) = 75

HEAVY:
Sniper Team = 80

~~~~~~
Note that the carbines are in the FW teams due to model limitations, the crisis suit configurations cannot change, and I have no railguns. I think that covers it. Yes, I know that markerlights in mounted teams is weird, but I've been having trouble with my static units getting decent LOS during my recent games anyway, so this may prove to be more useful. At least it's not a big investment.

Offline Locke

• Bring the Rain
Re: 1000pt - Grudge Match Mech List
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2008, 11:20:01 PM »
Personally. If you're running a mech list, drop the lights and add Rifles. You're going to be FoFing, it will be useless. The Helios will be good against heavy infantry, same with the sniper teams, but I worry about AT. Any thoughts on strategy?
Locke's Record (2010):
 Shas'el'Sa'cea'Kanvah'Kais: 3-1-1
 Simulation (Vassal) Record: 31-4-9
            Tau: 21-3-6
     Necrons: 3-1-1
 Dark Eldar: 7-0-2

Offline Rudkin

• Fio'ui Kais
  • Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
Re: 1000pt - Grudge Match Mech List
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2008, 11:47:52 PM »
Honestly, I'm going to play it by ear. I think the outcome of the game will strongly depend on the terrain and the scenario.

My reasoning for the Markerlights is so that I may set up a fire base with the team. I don't really expect to do much in the way of FoF, though. I may have an initial drive to get to a good position (if there's a target there, I'll shoot it to Zog as best I can) and then set up camp. That said, if I end up doing something completely different with the units, I don't mind the wasted 30pts.

As for the anti-tank, it's always been a bit of an issue for me. That said, I've learned ways of dealing with large targets, be it with my Fusion Blasters or with mass Str5 shots at weak points. I know that it's a shortcoming, but I feel confident that I can work around it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
EDIT:

I ended up winning my game this evening! It was Alpha Recon. At the end of the game I had about 5 scoring units to his 1 (we could only play until turn 5, but turn 6 would have seen maybe one of my scoring units killed).

He had:
Raptor Lord (Lightning claws)
Unit of Raptors
Berserkers in a Rhino
Havocs
Chaos Marines (Vanilla)

He took first turn, driving his rhino forward and disembarking the berserkers and flying his raptors forward. His havocs tried shooting at the sniper drones, but couldn't spot them (I didn't tell him about the Stealth Field until he tried to shoot at them). My turn saw one Raptor die and the Rhino get stunned.

Not much really happened. One of my units of Fire Warriors started on a hill and decided to stay there as a temporary firebase. They ended up being wiped out by the Raptors on my turn 3. The other unit FoFed the Berserkers... who only took about one casualty despite my unit being Bs4 from a Markerlight. Almost my entire army shot at them for a turn and I barely managed to make them non-scoring (unit of 10). The only good thing was that my Piranha and Devilfish were close enough together that his Berserkers had no room to assault the Fire Warriors behind them. It felt cheesy, but ah well. I did it anyway. That allowed me to retreat as he spent the rest of the game ripping up free drones and my Sniper team, allowing my scoring units to sneak to the objective.

Despite the apparent one-sidedness of the outcome (5:1), it was a pretty good game. It wasn't until about turn 3 that things started to go my way, and even then I was taking a lot of casualties. The Havocs were really worrying me, but he ended up targeting less than ideal targets with them (like empty transports). We both had some good luck and all things considered, it was a fun game.

I unfortunately knocked a  jump pack off of a Raptor, though.... :( At least it was a clean break.

...but Staff are still undefeated for the Grudge Matches!  :)
« Last Edit: January 25, 2008, 12:16:27 AM by Rudkin »