News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: New player, questions.  (Read 515 times)

Offline Dragonoth

New player, questions.
« on: October 29, 2007, 03:16:39 PM »
Yup so I just got into 40K and chose Tau as my army, but I have some ideas of what to do for an army and a few questions.

What I an aiming for....
-Possibly no Kroot.
-At least 2 to 3 fire teams with all pulse rifles with one leader equipped with bonding knife for each team.  I want to try and keep my fire teams as far as possible from the enemy front as I can, the guns got 30" so I think ill be cool.
-Vespids and Elites between the enemy front and my fire warriors.
-My commander hanging around my elites.
-Putting a unit of Broadsides as far as I can, taking out the enemy with those badass railguns.

Yeah its really basic I know, and I have no idea what to do vehicle wise.  Any comments and suggestions? Am I doing anything completely wrong? I am completely open to what you guys have to say pointer wise, even if it has nothing to do with the above list =p. Thanks.

Offline ShasO Kodel

Re: New player, questions.
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2007, 04:32:42 PM »
Thats pretty much the same parameters I use for Tau, though I'm not big on the Vespids unless I'm facing CSM or SM, just for how slick the pulse rifles are. Only other suggestion would be pathfinders with markerlights, as despite how some people lambast them, having those 2-3 squads of fire warriors shoot 30" and hit on 3's or 2's, or same for your broadside hitting on 2's, I think they more than pay for themselves. Also, maybe a vehicle for objectives and ferrying troops (I love/am hated for Fish of Fury by my IG friends), or another anti-tank platform if you take a railhead.

Offline Federal Hero

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2007, 12:43:38 AM »
Yah, Pathfinders are over-looked in my opinion. You should consider them especially with Broadsides in your plan. Stealth suits are also quite effective at annoying the pants off your enemy. I dont neccesarily think that a Devilfish is NEEDED if you have other faster units such as battlesuits who can capture objectives. Because other than a situation where u need to capture objectives, I dont find a need to move the Firewarrior squads around alot espcailly if u deploy them in the proper spots.
"Make Love, Not Babies"

Offline Derikari

• I Brake for Kroot
  • I gots a title! ... I don't get it.
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2007, 09:45:32 AM »
No Kroot? Fine… If you ever come across any (like say… a battleforce), I’ll have em… since you don’t want to use them and all :P

By having your Crisis Suits and Vespid hanging around between your Fire Warriors and your opponents guys, do you mean you want them to soak up the fire? That’s not so good, neither will last that long. :P Ever heard of the JSJ (jump shoot jump) tactic? You’re jumpy guys start off behind LoS blocking terrain then move out during the movement phase. In the shooting phase they do their thing and make lotsa dakka, then use their assault phase movement to move behind the terrain again. What’s better than armour saves? Not being shot at, and this does exactly that. Doesn’t work for Vespid though, they require much more finesse as they have short ranged weapons and cannot JSJ. They can’t take on squads head on, and they break easy. Here’s a brief tactica on some of their uses. I don’t think it’s finished from memory.

List wise, look here for some “inspiration” and stuffs. More recent lists are added at the bottom posts. Model wise, you could also save much money looking to discount stores. You can save so much it’s not funny, like ~50% off something that’s supposed to already be discounted. Well, it actually is, but another 50% on top of it ain’t funny… (Hunter Cadre Apoc deal)

And a little heads up on vehicles, only buy Sky Rays for Devilfish based vehicles, it comes with the parts to make a Devilfish, Hammerhead with either a railgun or ion cannon and a Sky Ray, so with some careful planning you can quickly swap around arments and have a specific vehicle you want in seconds. That's if you want them, it's not impossible to go without them. Just a lil more trickier.

Offline Dragonoth

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2007, 03:27:59 PM »
Alright, thanks guys.