News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: vs. Tau (possibly Eldar) tomorrow (1000 pts)  (Read 686 times)

Offline Zombie_dla

vs. Tau (possibly Eldar) tomorrow (1000 pts)
« on: March 14, 2008, 04:09:29 PM »
So, I'll be facing my dreaded Tau-Nemesis tomorrow and I'll need to hear your wise words regarding this list I've put together.

HQ – Hive Tyrant 143 pts
   (Winged, Toxin Sacs, Scything Talons x2)
Troops – Genestealer Brood 128 pts
   X8
   X8
Troops – Hormagaunt Brood 160 pts
   X16
Heavy Support – Carnifex 148 pts
   (Enhenced Senses, Barbered Strangler, Venom Cannon)
Heavy Support – Zoanthropes 195 pts
   X3(Warp Blast, Synapse Creature)   

As you see this is only 902 pts. What to add? A brood of termies perhaps?

Usually I always use warriors but I thought I should try a game without them and see how I fare. I don't know what his list will look like and there's a slim possibility that he'll use his Eldar instead (of which I know even less) so I don't want to tailor this list to much. Thanks.

Offline Scalu

• Craftworld Zaitor / Splinter Fleet Whiteclaw
    • Campaign Maps
Re: vs. Tau (possibly Eldar) tomorrow (1000 pts)
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2008, 05:40:35 PM »
Biovores with Acid mines.  :)  Good against hiding crisis suits.
Maybe a Lictor instead, although it would be risky, but against the Tau, no so risky as against any other army.

-edit- The Lictor would not be a good option against the Eldar though...  so don't bother with it in cause you fight Eldar.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2008, 05:42:21 PM by Scalu »
http://www.storyofstuff.com/
1850 pts Tau army assembled and painted in 1 month!

Offline overmind2000

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2008, 09:29:58 PM »
depends what the eldar player takes - a lictor can hold up a group of pathfinders for a turn or more - and they are nasty shooters.
As for what to take - biovore certainly has a good chance of unnerving the tau with hidden battlesuits

Offline Zombie_dla

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2008, 05:51:11 AM »
Biovores seems like a good idea. But I only have room for one which seems a big waste. I'll go with a brood of termagants to bump me up to 998 pts. Thanks for the help! I'll get back to you with the results.

Offline Zombie_dla

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2008, 07:48:41 AM »
Well, the results are in and it's pleasing to the Hive Mind: A Victorious slaughter for the Tyranids!

He played Tau with a commander and bodyguards, two fire warriors squads of twelve each, a hammerhead, some sniper drones and gun drones.

My list looked like this:

1000(998) pts
HQ – Hive Tyrant 143 pts
   (Winged, Toxin Sacs, Scything Talons x2)
   X8
   X8
Troops – Hormagaunt Brood 160 pts
   X16
Troops – Termagant Brood 96 pts
   X16
Heavy Support – Carnifex 148 pts
   (Enhenced Senses, Barbered Strangler, Venom Cannon)
Heavy Support – Zoanthropes 195 pts
   X3(Warp Blast, Synapse Creature)   

I may not remember everything correctly but it played out something like this:
I got the first turn and actually managed to get a first turn assault with my hormagaunts! Only target I could reach, though, was the sniper drones. I do something stupid and split my army up in two and attacking from two flanks - hormagaunts, genestelaers and tyrant on one flank, the rest on the other. My zoanthropes spread out between the two flanks. I kill a pair of gun drones with my hormagaunts but that's it. Miss my shooting. The Tyrant doesn't quite get within assault range and is left out in the open (second big mistake). During his turn he blast my tyrant with gun drones, suits and the hammerhead. Luckily the tyrant is still standing, but with only one wound left. Some fire warriors finnish the job though and at this point I think "I'm beslubbered". The hormagaunts finnish of the sniper drones. Next turn though genestealers move up towards the suits (behind cover), a zoanthrope move up to bring synapse to the hormas and the hormagaunts move towards the suits too. The other flank keep marching toward the fire warriors and hammerhead. My carnifex almost annihilates a squad of fire warriors and they're pinned (not sure which round this happened but what the hell). My termies move up to screen my other group of 'stealers sneaking around in some ruins toward the other fire warrior squad. The zoanthropes start blasting the fire warriors two but to no avail. Back to the suits - they're in deep amphetamine parrot when they're assaulted by two full broods - genestelars and hormagaunts. They're killed pretty fast. He kills some termagants in his turn. Next turn I kill the gun drones and stun the hammerhead. the termagants move closer and starts shooting the remaining fire warriors but without kiling anything. I can't really remember what happens next in great detail but eventually he's left with a squad of fire warriors, an immobilised hammerhead without it's railgun. His forces is surrounded by my genestealers, gaunts, zoanthropes and carnifex and is killed before the end of the fifth turn. All in all I wiped out his enture force and controls three table quarters. He kills half of my termagants, a couple of genestealers, hormas and my tyrant.

Offline Scalu

• Craftworld Zaitor / Splinter Fleet Whiteclaw
    • Campaign Maps
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2008, 12:57:27 PM »
Good one.

It sucks that your Flyrant was killed right off the bat, but it sounds like he had to used almost all of his firepower, leaving the rest of your army untouched as it closed in.  I think it would have been better to leave your Tyrant on the board wounded, and concentrate more firepower on the advancing troops, especially those that threatened the command squad.

Well, congrats on your win!
http://www.storyofstuff.com/
1850 pts Tau army assembled and painted in 1 month!

Offline Zombie_dla

« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2008, 05:19:16 PM »
Yeah, I thought I was gonna lose big time there. He couldn't shoot the troops that threatened his command squad though since thr horamgaunts was locked in combat with the sniper drones and the genestealers were hiding behind a piece of terrain.