News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: RPG systems: Which do you own?  (Read 2983 times)

Offline Kage2020

• Knower of Things
  • Ancient
  • Mar a tha, mar a bha, mar a bhitheas vyth go bragh
RPG systems: Which do you own?
« on: March 4, 2002, 09:08:02 PM »
Intrigued by the "Which systems do you own" thread, but found that it was in reference to computer games, I was wonder what roleplaying game (RPG) systems out there people owned?  

From what I have been able to tell from reading other forums the majority of people tend to stick to one system and, as a result, one genre.  As someone who tends to flit from one genre to another rather rapidly - and buy the system to allow this - I wondered if there was anyone similar out there...?

So, for example, I own the following systems (but have played in many more)...

AD&D, Amber DRPG, Aria: Canticles of the Monomyth, CyberGeneration, Cyberpunk 2020, Dangerous Journeys: Mythus, Earthdawn, FUDGE, GURPS (including various generic supplements but, in terms of worldbooks, primarily Mage (the Ascension) and Vampires (the Masquerade)), Nephilim: Occult Roleplaying, Pendragon (II and III!), Shadowrun, Star Wars (WEG system), The Babylon Project, Traveller (2300AD, MegaTraveller and The New Era) and Trinity.  That might not be all of them, but they're the ones that I remember at the moment!

Anyone out there 'beat' this...?  Do you have a favourite system and, if so, why?  (Know that it's a long shot, but thought that it might be a half-way interesting topic!)

Offline FallenExarch

• What's this life for?
Re:RPG systems: Which do you own?
« Reply #1 on: March 4, 2002, 09:46:27 PM »
I have owned D&D basic, intermediate, companion and Advanced box sets,  AD&D 1st 2nd and 3rd edition,  Warhammer RolePlay, Shadowrun, MechWarrior, Earthdawn, Mythus(Ugh), Vampire 1st, 2nd, and 3rd ed(revised),  Werewolf 2nd,  Mage (revised) ,  Hunter, Exalted,  Ars Magica,  In Nominae,  Gurps, Rifts,  LOTFR(not the card game the actual RPG),  Dark Town( an RPG a couple of friends of mine designed that actually got published by Gold rush games I think), LARP(Werewolf and Vampire) ,  The Wheel of Time ( which is just a setting not really a system)...whew I think that is it...if I remember any others I will post them...I am 24 and have been Rping since I was 9....my favorite system has got to be the White Wolf ten sided dice system...it is fairly simple and keeps the game from getting bogged down in its own system...later
What are you afraid of Tommy? Ze germans?

Offline Abaddon

• Well. Enough said.
« Reply #2 on: March 4, 2002, 11:40:22 PM »
I own Vampire the Masquerade, and it is the best system that I have seen for a long time. Currently it is my favourite RPG system.
"You must distinguish between what is true and what is real" - Albert Einstein

Offline Vertaxis

« Reply #3 on: March 5, 2002, 09:22:56 AM »
AD&D 1st, 2nd, & 3rd edition.
Shadowrun, BattleTech, Mechwarrior, Fasa Start Trek, Renegade Legion, Palladium Robotech, Macross II, TMNT, Rifts, Cyberpunk 2020, Gurps, Star Fleet Battles, Lawn Mower Man, Traveller, EarthDawn, Warhammer 40k,

...that I remember

I'm actively playing in 3 D&D groups and 1 Shadowrun group.

For the Shadowrun players, I've made a Troll Physical Adept with Attribute priority A and Money priority E.  Body=12, Strength=10, Weapon of choice: No-Dachi, total Reach Bonus=+3    :o  ;D
Never meddle in the affairs of Dragons for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Offline Kage2020

• Knower of Things
  • Ancient
« Reply #4 on: March 5, 2002, 06:02:36 PM »
Forgot about such things as In Nominae.  I've got a wodge of systems on my computer which I haven't looked at for quite some time! ;)

FallenExarch and Mythus... I'm intrigued about the 'ugh'.  How come?  This system would be, for the most part, the one that I would choose to run a specifically fantasy genre.  Okay, the combat system is a bit clunky but, otherwise, it appears rather lovely to me...

Wheel of Time... I'm interested in what you thought of the magic system in that...

Offline Halberd-Blue

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Long Live C'Nesha
    • Lord of the Universe's Website
« Reply #5 on: March 5, 2002, 06:13:33 PM »
/ooc Quest would have to be my favorite, but it is a nightmare to GM.  Its a free RPG though.
[AD&D 1st, 2nd, & 3rd edition
Uhm, Well D&D has been in 1st edition which was called D&D, 2nd edition which was called AD&D (exactly like 1st edition was called Rogue trader) and then 3rd edition was called D&D because people thought some degree of skill was required to play AD&D when it was just new rules.
"The rewards of tolerance are treachery and betrayal."

Offline Vertaxis

« Reply #6 on: March 6, 2002, 10:48:36 AM »

[AD&D 1st, 2nd, & 3rd edition
Uhm, Well D&D has been in 1st edition which was called D&D, 2nd edition which was called AD&D (exactly like 1st edition was called Rogue trader) and then 3rd edition was called D&D because people thought some degree of skill was required to play AD&D when it was just new rules.

Actually, there was Dungeons & Dragons, Advanced Dungeons & Dragons (1st ed), Advanced Dungeons & Dragons 2nd Edition, and now Dungeons & Dragons 3rd Edition.  This was also pre-dated by Gygax's Strategic Games material

Note: the original "Dungeons & Dragons" and Advanced Dungeons & Dragons (1st ed) are 2 different games.
Never meddle in the affairs of Dragons for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Offline Kage2020

• Knower of Things
  • Ancient
« Reply #7 on: March 6, 2002, 11:06:33 AM »
And Gygax then went on to create Mythus: Dangerous Journeys...

Offline the_Bard_72

• Kanu-rath Craftworld and Kabal of Martyred Souls
« Reply #8 on: March 6, 2002, 01:48:36 PM »
Unfortunately, I don't own very many at all anymore.  Had a whole bunch up until about 8 years ago.  A good friend of mine still has most of the stuff we played.  Here's what I can recall without too much effort that we have owned/played over the years (and its seldom we played without owning):

From TSR/WOTC: D&D (Basic, Expert, Companion levels), AD&D 1st, AD&D 2nd, D&D 3rd editions (participated in Greyhawk, Spelljammer, Forgotten Realms, Mystara, and several home-grown campaigns).  Gamma World (2nd and 3rd Editions).  Top Secret, Top Secret S.I.  Star Frontiers (rocked IMHO).  
FROM ICE: Rolemaster, Middle Earth Role-Playing (MERPS)
FROM STEVE JACKSON: GURPS (Horseclans, Black-Ops, Fantasy), Car Wars
FROM MISC: Recon, Guerilla (old photocopied rules from 1976), RIFTS, Mechwarrior (Battletech is NOT RPG in itself), Star Wars RPG , Amber, Star Trek RPG, Twilight 2000, Warhammer Fantasy RPG, Shadowrun, Warzone RPG

Lots of stuff that I can't recall, either.  One thing I would like to point out, as its a pet peeve.  An RPG is a Role-Playing Game, not a miniatures game.  Nothing irks me more in gaming than people calling miniature games RPGs.  Nothing personal to those who've listed them, but Battletech, WH, WH40K, and Star Fleet Battles are not RPGs.  They have variants that you can use in conjunction with them, but by themselves, their just wargames.  If I counted the wargames I played, the list would be even longer still.

the Bard
Emmissary of the Kanu-rath Craftworld

Offline Kage2020

• Knower of Things
  • Ancient
« Reply #9 on: March 6, 2002, 05:39:36 PM »
Games such as Inquisitor does little to help that distinction though! :D

Offline FallenExarch

• What's this life for?
« Reply #10 on: March 6, 2002, 06:51:14 PM »
In response to my ugh comment about Mythus I would have to say that the reason why I didn't care for the game all that much is more system related...I was young at the time and didn't have the attention span to deal with the amount of detail involved in creating a character and considering I was one of the few of my group that actually figured it out...i was tasked with bringing the others up to speed on it...That is why I say "Ugh" to mythus...it wasn't really that much fun to play...I like the universiality of it...but I could get that with Gurps...I also think that Gygax was on some major drugs when he wrote some of that stuff too...
What are you afraid of Tommy? Ze germans?

Offline Kage2020

• Knower of Things
  • Ancient
« Reply #11 on: March 7, 2002, 05:44:48 PM »
Thanks for that... It's always nice to know why people dislike a system, even if it isn't entirely rational.  Frex, I have an equally rational dislike (well, more knee-jerk reaction) to WFRP.  Just can't abide the system, even though I'm one of the first people who will say that the 'system doesn't actually matter'...

As to the universality of Mythus...?  Who knows.  They never got around to producing any of the alternative universes, even though their Mythus background was quite interesting.  Sort of smacked of GURPS Fantasy's "Yrth" setting, but was still different...

The system was, however, quite unwieldly.  Before even introducing it to my group I had to make changes, i.e. removing the automatic spell lists from the various characters (even non-magic users could end up with a spell list of 30 spells! :o )

As to the setting itself, I wasn't overtly fond of the idea of the Inner AErth the Underground Kingdoms.  Phaeree was quite standard, but the others were a bit on the... erm, dubious side.  The useage of the 'normal world' as the setting was, however, quite interesting.  I'm rather fond of that approach myself, i.e. I tend to use the normal world but never let the players see a map.  After all, the majority of people in the last two thousand years (until recently) had not seen maps... ::)

Offline Asua

• I am not a llama! ... well not after the surgery
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2002, 04:53:48 AM »
AD&D, D&D3e, GURPS, FUDGE, V:TM, Alternity, StarWars(d20), HOLF, Call of Cthulu, and FFD&D(freeformD&D)

only playing in on D&D3e and DMing one D&D3e at this present time... but i'll get more of the others going soon... hopefully :-)
Bugger this for a game of toy soldiers
Customer:  "I'd like a mouse pad for my Amiga."
Salesman:  "Sounds like a fair trade."

Offline Kage2020

• Knower of Things
  • Ancient
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2002, 09:27:05 AM »
Out of interest, how many people on this forum are active in 40k RPG?  And, if you are, how many are actually getting to play their (obviously) beloved Eldar?

Offline Zyphit

• Thought of the Day: Make deeds, not words
    • Blackstone VI - Essential BFG Website!
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2002, 02:07:45 PM »
by 40k RPG, you mean Inquisitor, right?

though whether it's Inquisitor or some other system, I've never played any RPG in the 40k universe.  meh.

I'm mainly Star Wars (the old D6 version) and Rifts.  A friend of mine has Vampre: Dark Ages, and I have a really good idea for a character in that, but I have severe doubts he'll ever get around to it.
The pessimist says the cup is half empty. The optimist says it's half full. The pragmatist says its liquid contents are at 50% capacity. The ironist says it's half full of air. The plumber says the cup must be leaking. George Carlin says the cup is too big. The Starbucks employee says it's so you have room for cream. The conspiracy theorist says aliens took the other half. The baseball player says his cup is definitely full. MacGuyver says he can build a powerful explosive with it...

Offline Kage2020

• Knower of Things
  • Ancient
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2002, 05:44:46 PM »

by 40k RPG, you mean Inquisitor, right?

Not a chance.  Inquisitor is not an RPG... It's just detailed skirmish rules with methods of character development.

Just wondering whether you've roleplayed - freeform, using WFRP, or any other game system - to play within the 40k universe...