News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Killersquid's Projects  (Read 74088 times)

Offline Cavalier

• One Archon to Rules Test Them All | High Corsair Prince of Painting | Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Angels, World Eaters
Re: Killersquids Harlequins.
« Reply #80 on: February 4, 2016, 03:59:32 PM »
Thanks man thats great info. Even against a non-super optimized SW list (I actually like the Skyclaws) I still think its pretty impressive.

Fascinating about the ID that you are packing with your Harlies I sort of forgot about that. But its a really important point.

About the bikes the wounds are a huge draw to me but also the 4++ mirage launchers. I've been trying to figure out a way to get a Shimmershield into my bikes and I realized man... the Harlie bikes have that but better and an extra wound with Ap2 weapons. It seems really great when comparing them to Reavers and Spears so its something I'm toying around with

Anyway great stuff man and thanks for the great reply its appreciated!
Check out my army! Eldar Corsair Army

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

Offline Lord of Winter and War

• The Cause of Diabetes -Captain- Necrontyr Immortal - KoN Veteran - Master of All Diplomacy | Wi-Fi Nomad |
  • Ancient
  • Armies: Harlequins, Spiderfang, Bonereapers, Space Wolves
« Reply #81 on: February 4, 2016, 10:46:32 PM »
Just remember that the 4++ is once. However, they always have their holo fields. You'll spend a lot of points to add them in, but they can do work.

I have a bit more work done on the vehicles. The pattern is taking me a bit longer then I thought. I needed to add a second coat of red to make it look a bit nicer.

Harlequin Army Blog

That's not blatant, this is blatant: I'm super happy that I'm playing Austria, the greatest nation in all of Diplomacy!

Azore of Austria

Offline Dread

• Warlock
  • Voidraven, the stone skipping across the universe.
  • Armies: Eldar, DE, Harlis, Necrons,  sisters, Death guard
« Reply #82 on: February 5, 2016, 09:29:59 PM »
Looks great. Glad to see that you have discovered the lovely art of painting diamonds. I went backwards and painted over mine and went solids. Very cool.
"Burning thru the universe in search of peace only brings more war. Peace is an illusion, war is reality, that is the way of things"

Farseer Gol'Istria of    the Morea Nebula craftword

• The Cause of Diabetes -Captain- Necrontyr Immortal - KoN Veteran - Master of All Diplomacy | Wi-Fi Nomad |
  • Ancient
« Reply #83 on: February 8, 2016, 05:23:02 PM »
So, yeah. All finished.

I also while I was at it, took a picture of my fledgling chaos army. Go Noise Marines!

My buddy and I were planning to meet up to practice 1850pt games for Adepticon yesterday, but the store had an attack-wing tournament happening, so we only could get a 4x4 table. We played 1000pts (as we are going to be teammates for the Long War Doubles).

I brought for 1000pts

Three five man troupes (with a variety of kiss's and Caressess)
Two Shadowseers, ML1
Two Starweavers
One Voidweaver

I also took the Heroes path formation, and I gave the shadowseer the mask of secrets.

He took a ravenwing detachment, with Sammy on the jetbike, two lv2 libraians on bikes, ravenwing command squad, typhoon Speeder and two meltagun attack bikes.

Here are the Powers I rolled for my psychers

and deployment

Mission was Primary Kill Points, secondary, was 1pt per objective you controlled at the start of your turn (beginning turn 2).

I went first, and I shot at his command squad. Killed a couple of bikes even with a 2+ rerolling cover save.

He then  went.

He scooted up a bit. His Attack Bikes shot down one of my starweavers, and a psychic power took out my death jester.

Turn 2

I gained three objective points, and with shooting, I managed to wound an attack bike, but otherwise did no damage to his command squad, however, I managed to make him Jink.

His turn, he killed my last starweaver, pinning the squad (my warlord). He then charged one of my troupes and the voidweaver with his command squad. Lucky for me, he totally blotched his rolls and only really managed to put a hullpoint on the voidweaver, while I caused a wound on Sammy and killed a few bikes. He managed to hit and run away.

Turn 3.

My troupe and Solitare went after the command squad and wiped them out (solitare finished off Sammy and killed a couple of bikes on it's own). While my third (unpinned) troupe went after the attack bikes with the attached librarian. The librarian survived, but nothing else.

Turn 4+

Game only went another couple of turns, before I caught the dark shroud and land speeder (along with killing the librarian). More or less a complete success!

I think my buddy's reliance on his 'deathstar' and characters was his downfall. I think if he took a more balanced army with more bodies, he'd have faired better.

Tomorrow, I we will hopefully be trying out our 1850pt armies where I'll need to deal withg this.

Harlequin Army Blog

That's not blatant, this is blatant: I'm super happy that I'm playing Austria, the greatest nation in all of Diplomacy!

Azore of Austria

Offline Grand Master Lomandalis

• Grand Master of the Deathwing | Oh the lolmanity! | 40kOnline's Care Bear of LOL!
  • Global Moderator
  • We were murderers first, last, and always!
  • Armies: Dark Angels, Custodes, Knights, Night Lords
« Reply #84 on: February 8, 2016, 05:35:11 PM »
That printout for keeping track of psychic powers is genius...
If there is anything that recent politics has taught us, it is that quotes taken out of context can mean what ever you want them to.
Well I always liked the globals...
I knew I had fans!!!

"Dark Angels are Traitors" is the 40k equivalent of Flat Earthers.  You can provide all of the proof you want that says otherwise, but people just can't let it go...

Offline Irisado

• A Light in The Grim-Darkness ~ Guns Don't Kill People, Copyright Stats Do | Farseer | Reporting Live! from the Crime Scene | Somewhat behind the times
  • Administrator
  • Soñando debajo del arco iris
  • Armies: Administrators must not play 40K
« Reply #85 on: February 8, 2016, 05:42:26 PM »
Superb painting on show all round :).

Thanks for posting the report.  It's always great to see those Harlequins of yours on the gaming table.  Congratulations on your victory :).

I recognise some the buildings on the table, although I cannot place where from.  I'm pretty sure that they are from some old GW building sets, but I cannot be sure.
You haunt my in-box like an ex-girl friend could only dream of.

The Forum Rules - Please Read and Remember Them.

Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #86 on: February 9, 2016, 06:46:57 AM »
Legendary... you've got a classic Harlequin force that looks absolute aces. Such a nice force man and a great win to boot! No matter which way you slice it Dark Angels Ravenwing are VERY tough. Congrats on completing your force man... the new red checker patterns are absolutely killer! Perfectly executed really have a hypnotic effect. Anyway congrats man and enjoy your new force!

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

• Ancient
« Reply #87 on: February 11, 2016, 05:15:56 PM »
So, I've played a couple of games.

First, was against the new Cadian formations with a CAD.

He had..

Command squad and two vet squads and the Hellhammer for his CAD

Then, he had Pask with a plasma russ retinue, A demolisher russ, Vanquisher and Eradicator russ. Along with a few tech priests.

We played the Adepticon primer mission with Dawn of War deployment.

The table had some LOS blocking ruins in the middle of the table. There was two objectives. Each Kill point was worth 2pts. The other mission was, There was an objective on both sides of the table in opposite halves. You had points at the top of your turn for controlling yours and more for the opponents.

First Blood and the usual suspects were all 1pt each.

I rolled fairly benign powers, but I did get vortex of doom on one of my shadowseers along with Sanctuary.

He won first turn, so he deployed his tanks eager to shoot me apart. His hellhammer he deployed on the left side. I only deployed my solitare on my left out of LOS behind a wall. My opponent was a little annoyed he couldn't turkey shoot all my T3 dudes and Armour 10 tanks turn 1, but such is life lol.

Turn 1 I didn't do anything. Turn 2, I brought in everything except for two starweavers (unoccupied) and one unit of Skyweavers. I depoyed the occupied starweaver on the left flank, and everything else on the right, out of LOS of his big bad tank.

This leads to my main mistake this game. I sent one troupe, solitare and starweaver up the left flank. Solitare kills a command squad, but proceeds to take 18 wounds from pask and explodes. The starweaver and troupe squad are wiped out utterly, while accomplishing nothing. I didn't know what else I was going to do with them, but I should have kept the solitare hidden unit he had a better chance to do something.

With me being down 8 points by the end of turn 3, I was in a rough spot. I manged to play smart and cagey after that. Using LOS and the bikes assault moves to slowly pick off his tanks. He ended the game with only the hellhammer alive and one vet squad, but the score was 27-14 due to kill points and objectives.

Game 2

I played the same guy who brought his Dark Angels.

Ravenwing detachment and CAD

Sammy, librarian, ezekial
Ravenwing command squad
dark shroud
landspeeder typhoon
land raider redeemer
terminator squad
sniper scouts
10man tac squad in Rhino
Dark Angels flyer with the cannon.

This mission was the Adepticon mission 'Meat Grinder' with Linebreaker deployment.

one objectives 8" in from each corner and two objectives 16" in from the long table edges in the middle line. The two objectives in your own deployment was worth 4VP's end game, if you controlled your opponents, it was 8vp's. The middle objectives were worth 2vps at the top of your turn if you control them.

I won first turn. I deployed behind LOS with most of my stuff, didn't need to be too ballsy when I had a lot of speed.

Turn 1, I shuffled a bit. I took two hull points off the rhino, but  his land raider shrugged off my haywire hits with cover saves.

He proceeded to move up his ravenwing squad (with Sammy and librarian) mid table, rhino ducked out of LOS and raider and dark shroud moved up.

Turn 2

I needed the darkshroud or the landraider dead, but due to jinking, he mitigated most of the damage I did to him. I think I put a hullpoint on the raider and shook it. However, I pulled back away from his raider and command squad, so he would be in a poor poisiton to charge me.

He jumped out with the ravenwing, however my nearest infantry squad was 12" away, otherwise he'd have to charge a starweaver with my death jester in it. The landraider drove up and disgorged the terminators. The raider managed to machine spirt the assault cannon to wreck the starweaver the solitare was riding in, and the ravenwing bikers killed maybed one dude with their shooting. Both units had immposibly long charges to try to pull off and failed both.

turn 3

I needed to try and get back field to harass his typhoon, scouts and his rear objectives. I sent one death jester starweaver and one skyweaver squad boosting behind the Dark Angels front lines. A death jester was lucky in getting a rending prescion strike on the terminator apothecary, who failed his look out sire, inv. and FnP roll. Lucky lucky. Solitare and bikes charged into the terminators and a troupe charged into the ravenwing bikes. My shadoweer periled and rolled a '6', so was now fleshbane AP2, so that was nice.

Voidweavers finished off the landraider with haywire!

Needless to say, The bikes are almost all wiped out, except for Sammy and maybe one bike (librarian ate it in the combat), ezeikiel is the lone survivor from the terminator combat.

In my opponents turn, the flyer comes in, but with my troupe master warlord and shadowseer each with 3++ saves re-rolling 1's, I suffered a total of 1 wound from all the planes shooting and his tactical squad. Much to my opponents chagrin. Ezikiel cast a power to make my units take morale and pinning tests on 3d6, but he forgot I caused fear (even through I bring it up in almost every game) and his gambit to kill my solitare failed. Backfired, as ezikeil bit the dust.

Turn 4

Bikes go after the typhoon, one troupe double charges the dark shroud and rhino, while another troupe charges the tactical squad (after pinning with mask of secrets and halucegen lanchers). My opponent is left with just his flyer and (temporarily the scouts) so calls the game here.

I had lost two bikes (the last guy was retreating), two starweavers and maybe eight troupers in total. All my shadowseers were wounded (mostly from perils).

If I get the charge on elite units, odds are I mess them up. Lost of AP and instant death to go around. Starmist raiment and mask of secrets are two items I never leave home without..lol..

My buddy is bringing that tank list to Adepticon. Hard for my army to deal with.
Harlequin Army Blog

Azore of Austria

Offline Irisado

• A Light in The Grim-Darkness ~ Guns Don't Kill People, Copyright Stats Do | Farseer | Reporting Live! from the Crime Scene | Somewhat behind the times
  • Administrator
« Reply #88 on: February 12, 2016, 10:43:17 AM »
It's always very enjoyable to read the continuing exploits of your Harlequins.  They are the ultimate glass cannon in my opinion.  It's great to see an old school style army competing in this era dominated by heavy armour, flying things, and other large models.

Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

• Ancient
« Reply #89 on: February 18, 2016, 10:05:23 PM »
It's always very enjoyable to read the continuing exploits of your Harlequins.  They are the ultimate glass cannon in my opinion.  It's great to see an old school style army competing in this era dominated by heavy armour, flying things, and other large models.

Those things do a good job in hurting me lol. I have no way to deal with fliers, except by snap firing shurkien cannons at them ha ha.

I played another game with my friend last night. We are both practicing our Adepticon Armies.

1850pts

In case I never posted it yet, this is the list I've been running.

Ceogorachs Revenge Formation

3 Death Jesters
3 Shadowseers, All Master Level 2, one with the Mask of Secrets. (Mask is a great relic!)
2 units of skyweaver Bikes, 3 models, 2 haywire cannons, 2 zeypherblades, 1 Shurkien Cannon, 1 star bolas
1 unit of Void Weavers, 2 vehicles with haywire cannons
Solitare

Troupe w/ 9 models. 1 caress, 5 kisses, troupe master with Kiss, starweaver
Troupe w/ 9 models. 1 caress, 5 kisses, troupe master with Caress and Starmist Raiment, Warlord, starweaver (starmist is good, with the formation I basically always have a 3++ save re-rolling 1's. Makes the model very durable.
Troupe w/ 6 models. 2 caress, 3 kisses, troupe master with Caress, starweaver (deploys inside)

Basically, I normally stick a death jester and the solitare in the empty starweavers and the other two death jesters either hold back and hold objectives, or advance with the army. Shadowseers go into the 9 man troupes. Mask shadowseer and normal shadowseer go into warlord unit to give it fearless. Mask Shadowseer often rolls on Sanctic (all powers are nice, except for purge soul). Other two shadowseers are rolling on Harlequin powers to give my squads viel, and I hope to get Dance of Shadows, or Fog of Dreams if I'm lucky. Fog of Dreams is clutch if I roll it.

My opponent was running an Astra Militarium CAD

Pask in Punisher w/ Executioner russ
Company command squad
Priest
Infantry platoon with a couple of sqauads (2-3 I don't know), lascannon heavy weapon squad and platoon command squad
Two vet squads in Chimera's with meltaguns
Vendetta
Hellhammer Super Heavy

He rolled on Tactical for his warlord trait and got the +1 to seize and Re-roll reserves and I got +4 to seize (lol).

Mission was the Adepticon Primer mission 'Meat Grinder'. Two objectives in the middle which you gain 2pts at the top of your player turn if you control those objectives (each turn), and one objective in each corner for end of game objective grabbing. Your objectives were worth 4vp's each and your opponents are 8pts each. Deployment is hammer and Anvil.

I won lost the roll to go first, but my opponent gave me the first turn, as I could automatically seize the Initiative (+4 due to my warlord trait from the Light Table and +1 as he had a super heavy). So, as I was going first anyway, he wanted to deploy second.

He had a +1 to seize, so I deployed a bit cautiously. There was a fair amount of ruin cover and LoS blocking, so I took advantage of that. Voidweavers on my right with the bikes, starweavers on the left and the troupes in the middle. Two Death Jesters hide behind terrain to control my home objectives.

He deployed his infantry in the middle, chimeras on my right, Pask on my left and the hellhammer in the middle.

Powers I rolled were

Viel
Laugh of Sorrows
Shards of Light

Viel
Mind of Mirrors
Peil of Discord

Banishment
Sanctuary
Purge Soul

So, overall I was only really going to cast Viel and Sanctuary the whole game lol. Terrible powers.

We both roll for night fight and get it. He does not seize (thanks Ceogorach!)

Turn 1

I boost up most of my starweavers. I get two in between buildings in the table center, controlling the left meat grinder objective, while I had a starweaver squad to the same on the right. Voidweavers and one of the bike squads took out one of the chimeras with haywire and pinned the vet squad.

Otherwise, I am just getting models into position.

His turn, he creeps his tanks and infantry up a bit. Hilariously, his shooting is pretty bad. I was rocking 3+ jink's with stealth, so against the one skyweaver squad and two starweavers he shot (his whole army at) he managed to kill one bike and put a hull point on one of the starweavers. Pretty good turn!

Turn 1

Harlequins 1pt (first blood) Guard 0pts

Turn 2

I gain 4pts, for controlling both middle objectives. Solitare and the 6man troupe disembark and prepaire to charge the blob squad (which is fearless, so unless I kill them all, I stay in combat with them). Voidweavers and skyweavers kill the other Chimera (he was in ruins, so I needed to finish off the last hullpoint by charging my 2 man unit of bikes in. Solitare and troupe charge the infantry squad, kills all but the priest and maybe two guys. However, the solitare is too far away to make it back into combat, so is stuck in the open next to pask. Uh oh.

This last picture, is the cowering solitare lol.

My opponent sees his vendetta come in. Pask vaporises the solitare (16 wounds I needed to save against...ouch..) He also manages to wreck both the solitare and troupes's starweavers. The vets and other shooting finished off the two man squad of bikes.

Hellhammer fires it's big gun at the other bike squad, killing one and a few troupers as well. Otherwise, minimal damage.

The priest and the rest of the infantry squads suffer horrible (and humiliating) deaths in revenge of the solitare.

End of turn

Harlequins 5pts... Guard 0

Turn 3

Well, basically, I am in a tough sitation here. The hellhammer is right in the middle of the table and is in a good range to start messing me up. I could charge it with almost everything and might be able to kill it. If I do, I gain 3 more points, which would be nice. So, I say beslubber it, I might as well go for it.

My last bike squad hides next to an objective, while the deathjesters ride goes onto the other one. Voidweavers skirt up the right side to try and get some damage on the thing. Shooting sees two hull points removed from the hellhammer from the voidweavers and the charge of my two 9 man troupes sees the other 7 hull points taken off almost exculsivly from the caress attacks. The tank's explosion reaches only of my troupers, who take S5 hits. However, the tank is removed and leaves my two squads bunched up in front of the guard gun line..uh oh. The 6 man troupe charges pask and the other tank, but all my luck is syphoned into the hellhammer combat and the troupers totally wiff. I do only one hullpoint to the executioner.

Unsurprisingly, my opponents shooting phase sees all three troupes eliminated except for the shadowseer with laugh of sorrows and two troupers from his squad. I loose all the rest of the three troupes. Ouch. The Vendetta also snipes one of my death jesters with it's lascannons.

Harlequins 8pts Guard 1 (warlord)

Turn 4

I gain 2 VP's for controlling one middle objective.

So, the Shadowseer and his two bud's go to assault one vet squad. Bikes and the deathjesters starweaver aim for his warlord (company command squad). Voidweavers keep skirting up the right flank (try to claim his one objective). Voidweavers kill almost all of one of the vet squads with their haywire and shurken cannons. My opponents squad goes to ground for a 4+ cover and fails nearly all of his saves (ouch). Shadoweer and chums charge the other vet squad and have no trouble killing them all. They consolidate out of line of sight behind some window frames ha ha. His company command squad get mowed down pretty well.

The executioner tries to drive into a ruin, but crashes and immobilises it's self. Lascannons fire at the voidweavers ignoring cover, but the voidweavers shrug off the shots with little trouble (double 5's!) Executioner finishes off the bikes. Pask moves up onto one middle objective.

Vendetta moves to threaten the second deathjester in my back lines.

Harlequins 11vps  Guard 1

Turn 5

Voidweavers move onto one of my opponents objectives, shadowseer and his friend stay where they are, and the third death jester in his starweaver chase the vendetta (worse case claim one of my two back objectives if the game continues). Shadoweer casts laugh of sorrows on the lascannon squad. They pass their Leadship test when they needed to, but when it came to 'suffer wounds by how much you pass by' he rolled double 1's, so five wounds suffered outright. Voidweavers finish off the last of the vet's. Starweaver and Deathjester shoot at the Vendetta, but do nothing.

My opponent gets 2 vps for controlling a middle objective, but otherwise is so far behind he calls the game. I would not be stopped in gaining 8 more Vp's for controlling his backfield objective, while his vendetta couldn't stop me from controlling both of my back field objectives.

Points at the end of turn 5

Harlequins 11 + 8 for his backfield + 1 for linebreaker
Guard 1 +1 for linebreaker + 4 for controlling one home objective

20 to 6

What really helped me this game was the cumulative objectives and getting his hellhammer killed. His army shot me to death (I ended the game with my voidweavers, two death jesters, one starweaver, one shadowseer and one trouoper) He had left one lascannon team, platoon command squad, vendetta, Pask and the immobile Executioner.

I was able to keep him back, as if he got too close, he would loose something, but I think he should have been far more aggressive in taking the middle. The assault against the Hellhammer was a huge gamble, but that thing would start wrecking me if it was able to survive. If the game was kill points, I would be in deep trouble. One of the missions for Adepticon has objectives, but also kill points are 2vps' each. That is a mission I'll have a lot of trouble with (my friend and I played that mission and the score was much the same at the end, but reversed).

I'm as happy with my list as I think I'll be able to. I would love to fit some more harlequins caresses into it, but it's hard to find the points as they are an odd number (not a multiple of 5). Voidweavers were the MVP's. They shrugged off a lot of shooting and made their impact felt each turn. I was rather surprised, they are kinda terrible.

That was quite wordy, and I'll hopefully get in another game or two next week.
Harlequin Army Blog

Azore of Austria

Offline Irisado

• Administrator
« Reply #90 on: February 19, 2016, 08:52:21 AM »
Thanks for keeping us up-to-date with your progress.  As I was reading the report there were a lot of moments where I kept thinking, how can you be winning by such a margin when he's blowing up so many of your squads.  I had to keep reminding myself of the objectives.  This is where your superior mobility comes into play, and I think that the decision to charge the Hellhammer was a sound tactic, even though it was a bit of a gamble.

I'm curious to see how it would be possible to win a kill points game with this list against armies with a lot of fire power, such as Guard and Tau.  I have a feeling that it would be quite tough on any board without a massive amount of terrain.  I'm sure that it must be possible though.  The crossroads running through the middle of that gaming table wouldn't have done the Harlequins any favours in such a mission though.

The models continue to look fabulous on the table top.  I'm looking forward to reading the next update.

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #91 on: February 19, 2016, 09:07:38 PM »
Thats a fantastic win Squid, won I'd be proud of even with my Eldar. Really enjoying these bat-reps. Rocking a true Harlie force is something I'm definitley going to do at some point. Your p-log is really inspiring me to get some Harlies sometime soon.

Your force is looking killer in those photos as well. Do you have any other plans for them in the future in terms of collecting and whatnot? I'd love to see an old school Harlequin Wraithlord... always a classic conversion. Anyway man keep up the great work and I'm looking forward to more bat-reps!

• Ancient
« Reply #92 on: February 19, 2016, 09:54:33 PM »
I don't really have plans for expanding at this point, as there is not really much more to get. If I nreally wanted to expand, I'd do a 500 dark elder and then Eldar army to go with it. Something to get me to 3000pts total I think.

Sort of waiting for whenever new rules drop and when that happens, I'll buy more Harlequins lol. Currently I'm just trying to get my chaos marines finished.

They are a pretty brittle army. Kill points is no fun, as I have so many to give up.
Harlequin Army Blog

Azore of Austria

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #93 on: February 20, 2016, 07:57:06 AM »
FW actually said in an email to the guys at Frontline that they planned on making the FW line of Eldar vehicles available to Harlies in their Masque FOC... Frontline even published it in their V-log... yet sadly it has never come to pass. Hornets, Nightwing, Lynx, Phoenix Bomber would look so nice in a Harlie force.

I do like your idea of some allied DE. Venoms, Razorwing, and even the much maligned Void Raven would go a long way for the Harlies.

Thats cool you've got your Chaos force to work on though. For the 1st time I have a new army to work on which has been fun. I'd love to see what your working on though. Share some pics if you get the chance I'd love to see your chaos force!

Offline Calamity

• Concussor Concussed Dice | Captain
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Cocking up miniatures since 1998
  • Armies: Kharadron Overlords, Bloodbound, Celestial Lions
« Reply #94 on: February 20, 2016, 08:00:12 AM »
I congratulate you on your win Killersquid, even though it was against my team the Guard.  And once again, your army is amazingly painted and presented. :)

• Ancient
« Reply #95 on: February 20, 2016, 02:17:20 PM »
I think I'd like to paint up a wraithknight (as I can use one in a formation of just it as an easy ally). For Dark Eldar, I think it'd be cool to see lileth fighting alongside the solitare :)

For my chaos, I have a slaanesh theme to it (enemies of the Harlequins)

This is the army so far. Finishing up a fourth rhino, second squad of marines and a unit of raptors to boost the army from 1500-1850pts. I'm using the black legion codex, mostly so I can give my Daemon Prince (Lord Pendilus) eternal warrior.
Harlequin Army Blog

Azore of Austria

• Ancient
« Reply #96 on: February 25, 2016, 11:56:27 AM »
So, played another game. I wrote up the report, but my internet crashed so I'm writing it again, so I'm going to be more brief this time ha ha.

Played against the same guy. He swapped out the lascannon team for scout sentinals (three split into two units)

I used the same list. He rolled Night Attacker as his warlord trait, and I got 4++ save (one of the only two bad ones I can get..womp womp..)

Mission was king of the hill. 12" circle in the middle of the table worth VP's equal to the turn number if you control it at the TOP of your turn. Each player had an emperors will objective worth at the end of game vps for your own and 8vp's for your opponents.

Deployment was vanguard.

My powers

Deployment

I kept my two 8 man troupes and shadowseers in reserve, along with the voidweavers.

Turn 1

He shot down two of my starweavers (was going to be my solitares ride, other for death jesters) and he also killed a bike. LOS blocking terrain, mirage launchers and distance kept me pretty safe.

In my turn, I moved up the solitare and 6 man troupe starweaver up to the center. Skyweavers took some shots at a chimera, doing some hull points to one.

Harlequins 0  Guard 1 (first blood)

Turn 2

He took out my three death jesters and shot down my last starweaver. Squad inside was reduced to two models. He also did some more wounds to my skyweavers. Vendetta stayed off the table, but one single sentinel came in.

My voidweavers and warlord troupe came in (with two shadowseers). Cast veil, tried to cast vortex of doom (but didn't go off). Both chimeras were wrecked and one skyweaver squad charged a vet squad and killed them off, while my two man troupe charged an infantry squad with the priest and stayed locked in combat. Solitare charged the other infantry squad and wiped them out.

Harlequins 0 Guard 3

Turn 3

His other two sentinels and vendetta arrived. Pask's unit passed their veil test (20") and killed all of my warlords troupe (except the warlord and two troupers) and both shadoweers. Solitare takes two wounds and he wipes out the bike squad that charged the vets.

My third troupe comes on the table. Critically fails to cast viel of tears and dance of shadows. Pask is reduced to one hull point and the other 'russ is wrecked. My plan was for the warlord and solitare to charge pask, while my two man troupe and skyweavers charge the vet squad. Solitare and warlord and the troupe all fail their charges, I needed to kill pask (20 S5 shots at BS3 is killer), so I charge in the skyweavers, but they fail to damage him.

Harlequins 0 Guard 6

Turn 4

Unsurprisingly, he completely wipes out my third troupe. He also kills both voidweavers, one skyweaver and the warlords unit is reduced to one model. Ouch.

All I have left is the one skyweaver and my warlord. My only way to win, is to control his home objective and contest my own. He has no ob-sec models left, so my skyweaver is now able to contest the middle objective. Warlord charges his command squad near his objective, but not only causes no wounds, but takes a wound and looses combat (thankfully passes his LD check). Skyweaver hops into the ruins and it's haywire cannon takes down pask (finally).

Harlequins 1 Guard 6

Turn 5

He cannot kill the bike (thankfully lol), but my warlord still cannot take down five guardsmen. I try to hit and run, so I can charge again..But fail the hit and run test.

My bike turbo-boosts onto my home objective. Warlord still cannot kill his command squad (or even do any wounds..) I hit and run to contest his objective.

The game ends at this point.

Final score, is

Harlequins 2 Guard 7

(warlord/line breaker) (Hill turn 2 and 3, first blood and linebreaker)

Turn 3 was very bad for me. Failing viel of tears, and all the charges really cost me right there. I still thankfully had a last minute gambit to try and steal the win with the emperors will objectives, but my warlord was too tired to kill five guardsmen.

I should have, in hindsight, kept more of my army in reserve if I know I am going second against such a shooty army. There is no reason I should have lost all my transports and death jesters in the first two turns. I should have reserved everything, except for a couple of characters I could keep out of LOS. I didn't have Ob-sec, so the center objective was guaranteed to be his turns 2 and three anyway, until I could kill all his troops.

That punisher cannon is more dangerous to me then the hellhammer is I think. The number of wounds it can do is terrifying and it just evaporates units.

I also forgot to include the picture of my chaos in the last post, so here they are.

Harlequin Army Blog

Azore of Austria

Offline Irisado

• Administrator
« Reply #97 on: February 25, 2016, 03:35:17 PM »
That table was a bit strange in terms of the red and orange colours on the board surface.

What tough game that was.  You could maybe have reserved more, yes, but even then I think that Pask would have made life difficult.  The sheer amount of fire power is very difficult to defend against, although not having your psychic powers work at that critical moment didn't help.  Overall, the fact that your force was separated somewhat in terms of units arriving at different times made it too easy for your opponent to cut down vital units one at a time.

The Chaos army is looking very promising.  A Chaos player and a Harlequin player.  You are officially some kind of heretic :D.

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #98 on: February 26, 2016, 07:11:44 AM »
That was a toughy Squid. My brother brings a similar list except he's rocking a Vulture in addition to the Vendetta and all Vets with plasma and I know if I don't do serious damage in the opening turns I'm gonna be toast. Pask is an absolute beast, especially when he's got a Plasmacutioner wing-man.

Gotta second Irisado that table looks bizarre!

Also your Chaos army is fantastic. Its awesome that you have a sort of rival force for your Harlies. The same reasoning went into me picking up Necrons as a rival "house army".

Anyway great stuff my man. Love the bat-reps and the army photos keep em coming!

• Ancient
« Reply #99 on: February 28, 2016, 03:27:17 PM »
Cheers folks. That's the dice sometimes. Harlequins are an army where if everything goes right, they might have a chance to win (lol). Definitely not the army for folks who want to win all their games. This however was a fairly bad luck sort of game.

The store I play at is pretty small (why I have only been playing games against one person). That table was at one point supposed to be a lava-themed table I think. I don't know.

I have also finished my display board for my Harlequins. Drilled little slots for them all to fit into. It'll be nice for transporting them I think in events.

Harlequin Army Blog

Azore of Austria