News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Painting Well-Known Chapters... Variation on a Theme?  (Read 689 times)

Offline Outside_Enemy

Painting Well-Known Chapters... Variation on a Theme?
« on: July 11, 2008, 12:19:12 PM »
So, let's say a fellow, much like myself, were moved to start a Space Marine army... say Space Wolves.  Let's say that this fellow loved everything about the Wolves of Fenris; play style, fluff, looks.  However, this guy wanted to paint them a bit differently. 

If someone brought a proper Space Wolves force to the table (not a successor chapter or anything) with a slightly different paint scheme, what would be your reaction?  Say I painted my wolves with more of a pale gray as opposed to the bluish gray which is their standard... how would this sort of thing be received?

I'm just trying to get a feel as to how people do business nowadays (I've been away from the hobby for a long while).  For people that care at all about such things, would this annoy you?  Would it matter?

Variations on these well-known paint schemes... thoughts?

Offline Kitsune Tsuki

• Lazerous Penguin
Re: Painting Well-Known Chapters... Variation on a Theme?
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2008, 12:22:15 PM »
My wolves are true grey.  Not blue grey, just grey.  No one has ever given me crap about it.  I have never seen anyone have an issue with an army using a none traditional color scheme.  Paint however you want to paint.  So long as they're the right models and they have the right equipment, then you're cool with me.  Paint color be damned.

Offline Inquisitor Subs

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2008, 12:22:36 PM »
My friend does this with his space wolfs and I honestly don't see any problem with it.  Just make sure that your opponent knows there space wolfs before the battle and everything should be fine.  Are you still using the space wolf symbols as well?

Offline Outside_Enemy

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2008, 12:46:06 PM »
Are you still using the space wolf symbols as well?

I certainly plan to do so.  I intend them to be Space Wolves proper, albeit with a slightly different look.  I'm really big on the fluff side of the game, so I was wondering if any other fluff buffs would be at all irked about things like this.  I think it's all good, but I am still curious about opinions.

Offline Raven

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2008, 06:59:26 PM »
I think you should paint them red... to make them go faster >.>

Joking aside, I was once called up by an opponent for having red trukks in my ork army and not paying for red paintjob upgrades.

Ahh the fun of idiots at tournaments...

I cant imagine you'll get any issues unless your light gray units kill harder for 5 points? :P

Offline Big Bad Wolf

• nomnomnomnom
  • Armies: Space Wolves, Eldar, Dark Angels, Daemons
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2008, 07:53:57 PM »
I'm glad this popped up 'cause I decided to venture into the world of Space pups about a week ago. Bought a box of the Grey Hunters and currently have 3 fully assembled and painted.  I decided to go a little bit different color scheme, priming them white, base coating shadow grey for the body and then used the blue wash over them, and then golden yellow on the shoulders.  They turned out a little bit bluer than I thought they would, but I'm very happy with them.  Perhaps some pics might follow as soon as this coat is through drying ;)  I would say 'most' people wouldn't mind what color you paint them, as long as you're very clear about what Chapter you're playing as and that everything is WYSIWYG as far as weaponry is concerned.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2008, 07:55:55 PM by kaihneshin »
Sunrise Village Games Workshop ~ Puyallup, WA
Home of the SunrisV Gaming Club
"Forever on the Dawn of War!"

Rule #2 - Double Tap

Offline Outside_Enemy

« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2008, 09:52:56 PM »
Alright... this is all fairly encouraging.

To be fair, I'm only stretching it a bit... I'm not painting them hot pink or any such thing... these aren't Fulgrim's boys  ;D  I still want that distinctive Space Wolf look and feel... with just a little twist.

Thanks guys
« Last Edit: July 12, 2008, 11:07:45 PM by Outside_Enemy »

Offline The Exile

« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2008, 07:51:58 PM »
I've never seen any Space wolf army painted exactly the same tinge.  It goes from pale grey to straight out light blue.  I would think that different packs would paint thier armor different anyway.

... these are Fulgrim's boys  ;D  .....

Blasphemy... :o
« Last Edit: July 12, 2008, 07:55:31 PM by The Warrior »

Offline Outside_Enemy

« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2008, 11:07:25 PM »
... these are Fulgrim's boys  ;D  .....

Blasphemy... :o

Ah! You're right, it is blasphemy... I really meant, "aren't," lol.  I'll edit my post before the Inquisition starts breathing down my neck.

Offline The Frugal Gamer

« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2008, 12:22:45 AM »
There's really not a thing wrong with putting your own spin on your own models.  When I painted my son's Blood Angels, I hated the standard BA colors (too orange).  So, I mixed up my own color, still distinctly BA, but still definitely not GW's version.  I've never had anyone comment on it, other than to compliment the color scheme.  So, go for it; just make them outstanding.
"If you see a bomb technician running, follow him."
- USAF Ammo Troop

Offline dustermaker

• No Pity! No Remorse! No Fear!
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2008, 12:28:25 AM »
I think you should paint them red... to make them go faster >.>

Joking aside, I was once called up by an opponent for having red trukks in my ork army and not paying for red paintjob upgrades.

Ahh the fun of idiots at tournaments...

clearly your opponent is an ork at heart!  Back on the subject of Space Wolves, I have seen a SW paintjob that didnt even use grey as the main color.  I seen no problem with any colors you use because as long as you are using the codex its all good.

Fixes broken quote tag.  -Mr.Peanut
« Last Edit: July 13, 2008, 12:42:52 PM by Mr.Peanut »
HURRY MAN BEFORE THERE IS STILL TIME!!!!

http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/List_of_Space_Marine_Chapters
Link to chaos/loyal chapters with fluff/pics/color schemes etc...