News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Heavy weapons  (Read 574 times)

Offline Battle Armour

• smoke dat kush
    • The Numa Numa song!!!
Heavy weapons
« on: July 26, 2005, 11:59:21 AM »
Which heavy weapons should go in infantry squads? I'd imagine anti infantry weapons because las rifles can't exactly harm a tank. But more specifically what weapons against orks and 'nids I'm currently putting heavy bolters in the squads and autocannons in the command squads. Suggestions?
mmmmm canEHdian bacon
"Any society willing to trade a little freedom for a little security deserves neither and will lose both."
besides, it makes asking for pink sound a little more macho if its called 'Tentical Pink' 8)

It's Testicle Pink you fool!!!

Offline Federal Hero

Re: Heavy weapons
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2005, 12:47:43 PM »
I play against a lot of nids too and I've been using autocannons in my squads because of their expanded role. You can take out either heavier non armour units like tyranid warriors plus you can take out light to medium vehicles(if you're against space marines or whatever.) As for your heavy bolters i think you should put them into the command squads but be careful because in a 5 man command squad the heavy bolters get lost pretty easily.
"Make Love, Not Babies"

Offline int main()

• Crouching Broadside,Hidden Stealthsuit
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2005, 01:21:46 PM »
You might want a few Lascannons too.You'll be needing them for the big bugs(Hive Tyrant,'Fex).Against Orks cut down on lascannons but still keep a few to get rid of Mega-Armored stuff.
Burn the Sister of Battle.
Kill the Space Marine.
Purge the Grey Knight.
Destroy the Imperium.
Let the Galaxy burn!

Offline Ailaros

• Why do the poutiest guys get the biggest guns?
    • my webpage
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2005, 01:42:50 PM »
I'm currently putting heavy bolters in the squads and autocannons in the command squads.

It's what I do. (see http://www.40konline.com/index.php/topic,93285.0.html)

Yes, you could put the lascannons and missile launchers in the infantry squads, but a heavy support squad costs the same price. The difference? with a 10-6 guardsmen ratio, it's going to take the enemy 5 kills to wipe you down to one lascannon while it's going to take 9 to take a full squad down to one (assuming that neither squad retreats). So, while your squad is going to have twice the survivability of a heavy support squad, it has only a third of the firepower (1 vs 3 lascannons). Plus, you're absolutely right: a squad with a lascannon is firstly never going to move (which is only a problem with certain army types) and secondly, it's going to waste all of those lasgun shots. For me, it begs the question of why bring the guardsmen if you're not going to use them (apart from meat shields that is. Remember, a good general does not lead his army to destruction just because he knows it will follow).

As well, if you put your lascannons or missile launchers in your squads, then you have to put your heavy bolters in your heavy support squadrons, which I don't like (see http://www.40konline.com/index.php/topic,93341.0.html).

In short: go for it.

Visit my My Battle Report Archive.
Winner of the 2007 "Best Writer of Articles", "Strategic Excellence", and "Imperial Guard Poster of the Year" awards.

Offline Battle Armour

• smoke dat kush
    • The Numa Numa song!!!
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2005, 06:02:47 PM »
I have one platoon of all HB and one of all Auto cannons (for big bugs and the spead freaks my friend has). My command has one anti tank squad of 3 lascannons to take out battle wagons and carnies. I also have a basalisk to insure that they don't snipe my army from afar (I really dislike using tanks in 25 mm)
mmmmm canEHdian bacon
"Any society willing to trade a little freedom for a little security deserves neither and will lose both."
besides, it makes asking for pink sound a little more macho if its called 'Tentical Pink' 8)

It's Testicle Pink you fool!!!