News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Alaitoc 1850 Tournament  (Read 1548 times)

Offline bca11

Alaitoc 1850 Tournament
« on: February 25, 2018, 11:20:51 PM »
Good evening / morning / afternoon / whatever it is in your time zone.

I've got an 1850 ITC tournament coming up March 31. This will be my 2nd tournament since coming back to the game at the end of last year. I've been playing around with lists, and tried this one yesterday with good success, tabling death guard and defeating black legion 29-10. I wanted to submit it for review and see if anyone had any suggestions for tweaking it to be a bit better.

Thanks for your input.

Batallion 1 (832 points)

HQ
Autarch with reaper launcher (warlord, mark of the incomparable hunter) - 99
Farseer (doom, fortune, faolchu's wing) - 100

Troops
7 Dire Avengers, exarch with twin catapults - 100

Elites
5 Wraithguard (wraithcannons) - 200

Fast Attack
9 Swooping Hawks, exarch with hawk's talon - 133

Batallion 2  (363 points)

HQ
Illic Nightspear - 80
Warlock (conceal / reveal) - 35

Troops
6 Dire Avengers, exarch with twin catapults - 88
5 Rangers - 60

Spearhead

HQ
Warlock (protect / jinx)- 35

Heavy Support
Fire Prism (spirit stones, shuriken cannon) - 175
Fire Prism (spirit stones) - 170
9 Dark Reapers, exarch with tempest launcher - 275

The way I'm planning this is to use the wraithguard in the webway to come in and attack any unscreened tanks or other hard targets while the reapers form a firebase behind a dire avenger screen. Meanwhile I hide both tanks out of LOS, and on turn one move one to where it can see the enemy and start spamming linked fire. Illic, the rangers, and the autarch try to snipe enemy characters, and the farseer provides psychic support from a fast-moving platform as the dire avengers advance to claim objectives.

So far I haven't found any weak points in it, as I handily won the two games I played with it yesterday, so please critique away. What would your plan look like if you found this army arrayed against you at a tournament, and what things might I be able to do to derail said plans?

Thanks for your feedback.

Offline Scorn

• Supreme Archon of Commorragh | Nasty Sky Juice | Title (and/or) Whore |
  • Ancient
  • Armies: Craftworld Eldar
Re: Alaitoc 1850 Tournament
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2018, 10:30:34 AM »
General thoughts:
Remember for ITC that first levels of Ruins are fully line of sight blocking regardless of true line of sight through them.  Make sure to get Ilic, the Autarch and the Rangers up high.

Time limits, it can be very difficult to get more four or sometimes even three turns out of a game, so prioritize doing damage early and fast. 

Screening is extremely important. Lots of armies, probably most armies are going to be doing something to drop units on you and apply pressure right from Turn 1.  Everything from Da Jump to Forward Operatives Cultists and Daemon Bombs to Webway Strike.

Specific thoughts:
You've got lots of Dire Avengers to screen your Dark Reapers with which is great, but they are still confined to your deployment zone on Turn 1, I'd recommend if possible dropping 5 Dire Avengers and taking a second unit of Rangers for additional screening outside of your Deployment Zone.

You may struggle with a counter attack once something hits your lines in close combat.  With psychic support from Warlocks you unfortunately don't have the density of full-strength Smites (even with ITC Beta Test Smite casting) to strike down nasty characters and elite close combat units.  I'm not sure what the solution to this is in the context of list though.

Don't be afraid to Webway Strike your own Dark Reapers as well as the Wraithguard if your opponent looks firepower heavy, keeping that Dark Reaper punch untouched until your first shooting phase is critical.
Rejoice.  Despair. 
Fate does not care.
Each knotted mind entwined. 
Each soul another's bind.
And blind though we are led. 
In time we do know when, to cut a thread.
-Erfworld

Offline Partninja

• Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2018, 12:37:22 PM »
I would suggest similar to above. Swapping a few Avenger squads for min rangers. Use the extra points now saved to upgrade warlocks to Spiritseers so you can get real Smite.

The lack of a decent CC unit (Shining Spears) hurts a bit too unless you're going to completely rely on falling back (and using strategems).

Offline bca11

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2018, 01:28:02 PM »
Sadly I own no shining spears. I could do a wraithlord with sword as a counter charge unit, but that's expensive, as would be striking scorpions. I turn a turn 1 charge from chaos bikers as well as a chaos biker lord (turns out they have some kind of advance and charge rule for their bikes) who chewed up a dire avenger squad and then consolidated into another. I fell back, using feigned retreat, and (with doom and jinx) shot them off the board with the dire avengers and reapers, with shots left over to take an incoming contemptor down to 1 wound.

Offline SeekingOne

• Exarch
  • May Hoeth guide our ways...
  • Armies: Eldar (Saim-Hann), Space Wolves
« Reply #4 on: March 1, 2018, 12:04:55 PM »
Sadly I own no shining spears. I could do a wraithlord with sword as a counter charge unit, but that's expensive, as would be striking scorpions.
Definitely neither of those, not even remotely cost-effective as melee fighters. I'd even say, the whole concept of "Counter-charge" is kind of obsolete now - you don't really need melee to counter melee if you have enough firepower.

I turn a turn 1 charge from chaos bikers as well as a chaos biker lord (turns out they have some kind of advance and charge rule for their bikes) who chewed up a dire avenger squad and then consolidated into another. I fell back, using feigned retreat, and (with doom and jinx) shot them off the board with the dire avengers and reapers, with shots left over to take an incoming contemptor down to 1 wound.
This, exactly. You can just shoot down a 1st-turn charge of some 1-2 units - and if you have a whole army of melee units coming at you, 1 melee squad of your own won't save the day anyway.

Imho, your list obviously asks for a single Wave Serpent, which would make deployment of Reapers a non-issue in any situation.
I fight against Chaos and for Order, because it means fighting for Life against Death. There is no other battle truly worth fighting.

"If it's not for a tournament then play whatever it is that you like. Without the pressure of having to utterly destroy your opponent it opens up alot more opportunity to have fun." - Lazarus