News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Play testing Craftworld Attribute: Iyanden  (Read 1547 times)

Offline Irinc

• "Death and Fate have taken the stage"
  • Armies: Aeldari
Play testing Craftworld Attribute: Iyanden
« on: November 5, 2017, 03:03:55 PM »
Hello fellow Asur,

I just returned from a long journey in the webway, and I’d like to show and share my new impressions I experienced during my absence.

Out of Character: Greetings this is Irinc and I’m new to this board. I found this forum just a couple of days ago and really enjoyed reading all the information people put up.
So I’d like to contribute with a list I will be testing in a couple of days against Grey Knights.

++ Battalion Detachment +3CP (Aeldari - Craftworlds) [51 PL, 961pts] ++

+ No Force Org Slot +

Craftworld Attribute: Iyanden: Stoic Endurance

The Path of War

+ HQ +

Autarch [4 PL, 77pts]: Forceshield, Plasma Grenades, Star Glaive, The Path of Command (Codex)

Warlock [2 PL, 35pts]: 4. Protect/Jinx, Witchblade

+ Troops +

Guardian Defenders [9 PL, 210pts]: 20x Guardian Defender
. Guardian Heavy Weapons Platform: Bright Lance

Rangers [3 PL, 60pts]: 5x Ranger

+ Elites +

Wraithblades [10 PL, 175pts]: Ghostswords, 5x Wraithblade

Wraithguard [11 PL, 200pts]: Wraithcannon, 5x Wraithguard

+ Dedicated Transport +

Wave Serpent [9 PL, 144pts]: Shuriken Cannon, Spirit Stones, Twin Shuriken Cannon

++ Spearhead Detachment +1CP (Aeldari - Craftworlds) [32 PL, 541pts] ++

+ No Force Org Slot +

+ HQ +

Spiritseer [3 PL, 45pts]: 3. Enhance/Drain, Psytronome of Iyanden

+ Heavy Support +

Fire Prism [9 PL, 160pts]: Twin Shuriken Catapult

War Walkers [4 PL, 70pts]
. War Walker: Shuriken Cannon, Shuriken Cannon

Wraithlord [8 PL, 133pts]: Ghostglaive, 2x Shuriken Cannon, Shuriken Catapult, Shuriken Catapult

Wraithlord [8 PL, 133pts]: Ghostglaive, 2x Shuriken Cannon, Shuriken Catapult, Shuriken Catapult

++ Total: [83 PL, 1502pts] ++

I’m rocking 7 CP. The whole theme is very defensive. My line of defense is formed with Guardians, Warlock and Autarch (Warlord). Fire Prism gives heavy fire support and the Wraithlords are protecting the flanks. Wraithguard goes into WWP. Spiritseer, Wraithblades go into the Wave Serpent, hunting for mean targets.

Fire Prism and Guardians and maybe Rangers will be set up within the 6” Autarchs Bubble for max profit.

At the end I had 70 points as leftovers so I bought the war walker.

I tried to squeeze in as many units as possible which benefit from the Attribute.  Any thoughts on how to improve the list?

Offline The Mattler

• Armies: Eldar
Re: Play testing Craftworld Attribute: Iyanden
« Reply #1 on: November 5, 2017, 03:49:19 PM »
Hello, and welcome to the the forum! :)  The traffic here is a bit low, but you'll find that the veterans of the forum generate lots of good discussion.  One of the other things you'll notice is that your posts will get sanitized of units stats and points values, but don't take it personally and keep that information to a minimum.  Hate GW for putting lots of spiteful, unnecessary fear in the mods, but enjoy the game and the forum for what it is.

I'd offer direct feedback on your list, but I just finished making a massive post in faitherun's thread (Army Idea - Wraiths R Us), which is relevant to the questions you're asking.
« Last Edit: November 5, 2017, 03:53:54 PM by The Mattler »
Shuriken weaponry is the pinnacle of antiSpocklizardry in 40k.

Offline The GrimSqueaker

• The Badger on the Road | Staff Infection Officer | Debased Vassal Slayer | Title Barfly | XOXOXO Gossip Girl | Bent Over
  • Global Moderator
  • From the Fourth Necromantic House
« Reply #2 on: November 5, 2017, 03:53:11 PM »
You're allowed to show unit totals. It's individual costs that are prohibited. Which you really should know by now Matter.  :)
Quote from: @TracyAuGoGO
Tact is for people who are too slow witted to be sarcastic.
Drink
Knights Tippler
Quote from: Surviving the World
If you can't make fun of something, it's probably not worth taking seriously.

You have to love the smell of science in the morning. It smells of learning.... or perhaps a gas leak.

Offline The Mattler

• Armies: Eldar
« Reply #3 on: November 5, 2017, 03:58:57 PM »
You're allowed to show unit totals. It's individual costs that are prohibited. Which you really should know by now Matter.  :)
I do indeed, but I thought I'd offer more conservative advice, since there are grey areas such as models fielded without upgrades, where the points cost therefore matches the one in the relevant appendix.  Just be happy that I've (mostly) fallen in line here. ;)
Shuriken weaponry is the pinnacle of antiSpocklizardry in 40k.

Offline Irisado

• A Light in The Grim-Darkness ~ Guns Don't Kill People, Copyright Stats Do | Farseer | Reporting Live! from the Crime Scene | Somewhat behind the times
  • Administrator
  • Soñando debajo del arco iris
  • Armies: Administrators must not play 40K
« Reply #4 on: November 7, 2017, 07:21:57 AM »
Welcome to the forum :).  It's great to welcome another Eldar player into the fold and the more new members, such as yourself, who join, the more discussions are likely to take place to increase forum traffic, which has been on the rise since the new edition came out.

My suggestion regarding your list, since your game is coming up very soon is to actually play it as it is, and report back on how your army and units perform.  The codex has only just come out and eighth edition is still quite new in its own right, so the best way to work on finding out what the right combination of units is for your army and gaming environment, at this stage, is to test army lists in battle.  Once you've done so, the Eldar players here can help you to improve your list and/or solve any tactical problems that you might have encountered.
You haunt my in-box like an ex-girl friend could only dream of.

The Forum Rules - Please Read and Remember Them.

Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Offline Irinc

« Reply #5 on: November 7, 2017, 01:55:29 PM »
Thank you to all of you. I’m really having a good time here. I reworked my list. The result is it has a bit more punch for my liking. Though I feel the Iyanden Attribute is a bit cumbersome.

My calculus on how to make best use of the Attribute at this moment is something like this:

++ Battalion Detachment +3CP (Aeldari - Craftworlds) [57 PL, 1212pts] ++

+ No Force Org Slot +

The Path of War

+ HQ +

Autarch [4 PL, 77pts]: Forceshield, Plasma Grenades, Star Glaive, The Path of Command (Codex)

Farseer [6 PL, 105pts]: 2. Doom, 3. Fortune, Singing Spear

+ Troops +

+ Elites +

Wraithguard [20 PL, 400pts]: Wraithcannon, 10x Wraithguard

++ Supreme Command Detachment +1CP (Aeldari - Craftworlds) [34 PL, 637pts] ++

+ No Force Org Slot +

+ HQ +

Spiritseer [3 PL, 45pts]: 1. Conceal/Reveal

Warlock [2 PL, 35pts]: 4. Protect/Jinx, Witchblade

Warlock [2 PL, 35pts]: 5. Quicken/Restrain, Witchblade

+ Lord of War +

Wraithknight [27 PL, 522pts]: Shuriken Cannon, Shuriken Cannon, Two Heavy Wraithcannons

++ Total: [91 PL, 1849pts] ++

Unfortunately I don’t have that many Guardians.
So my list for this Thursday looks like this:

++ Battalion Detachment +3CP (Aeldari - Craftworlds) [83 PL, 1500pts] ++

+ No Force Org Slot +

The Path of War

+ HQ +

Farseer [6 PL, 100pts]: 2. Doom, 3. Fortune, Witchblade

Spiritseer [3 PL, 45pts]: 1. Conceal/Reveal

+ Troops +

Guardian Defenders [9 PL, 200pts]: 20x Guardian Defender
. Guardian Heavy Weapons Platform: Starcannon

+ Elites +

Wraithguard [11 PL, 200pts]: Wraithcannon, 5x Wraithguard

+ Heavy Support +

Dark Reapers [7 PL, 135pts]
. 4x Dark Reaper: 4x Reaper Launcher
. Dark Reaper Exarch: Reaper Launcher

Fire Prism [9 PL, 160pts]: Twin Shuriken Catapult

+ Dedicated Transport +

Wave Serpent [9 PL, 144pts]: Shuriken Cannon, Spirit Stones, Twin Shuriken Cannon

++ Total: [83 PL, 1500pts] ++

Irisado thank you for you advice. When you posted I already rearranged my list.

Offline Irinc

« Reply #6 on: November 9, 2017, 02:05:50 PM »
Fellow Asur, once more the enemy has been repelled. One more day has been gained. Let’s see now, what fate has prepared for us.

The match against Grey Knights was very intense. Both sides dealt a lot of heavy blows. The whole games ended at the wake of turns 4 shooting phase. I banished his gate to infinity so he couldn’t relocate his Land Raider Crusader.

His list was:

Grand Master in Nemesis Dreadknight with Heavy Psilencer and Heavy Psicannon.

Voldus

Banner Carrier in Terminator Armor

2x 5 Terminators ( 1 Squad with Falchions and the other with Staves)

5 Man Strike Squad

Land Raider Crusader

What was left on my side:
Farseer, Autarch, 2 Reapers, 2 Wraithguard, 1 Serpent, 1 Fire Prism

On his side:
3 Marines, Land Raider Crusader

Conclusion:
First of all, Iyanden Trait is really great for our tanks, Wraithlords, Wraithknights.
I cant tell that about the other part of the attribute. My 20 Man Guardian Squad soak up the whole first turn firepower + charge and the one moral casuality was the last man standing. They did great as meatshield but then I think they shouldn´t be played as meatshield.
In synergy with my 2 ranger untis they did a great job at blocking deep striking units; so that is a +1 for Guardian Squads. I was able to get a solid 12"Deployment Zone + 9" deep strike distance between the enemy and my more valuable units.
I will use them again and see how well they fare in other situations.

Farseer, Autarch and Spiritseer did a solid job; obviously.

Wraithblades with Stratagem and Psytronome cut his Grand Master in Nemesisdreadknight in little ribbons. Brutal Unit! The next turn they soaked all the firepower + psi + fight fase. Very Solid!

Wraithguard is a good backbone unit. They draw a lot of firepower and can survive through it; solid choice. D-Scythes are a possible pretender to look forward to.

Dark Reapers are as good as they should be. First Turn shooting they obliterated a whole terminator squad! Sweet Cheesus!

Fire Prism feels meh when deployed alone. Though it had the autarchs aura and didnt move the whole game it couldn´t get his points back. Well it killed his Banner Carrier in a fight phase, so he has this going for him.

Rangers did their job in disrupting his deep striking units. They got killed in turn 1 and 2 due to heavy bolter fire and psychic powers.

Good result overall since he surrendered by the start of his 4th turn of shooting. I´d rather go with 2x5 Dark Reapers or 2x Fire Prisms for max efficiency. Wraithguard will get the D-Scythes.

New List will look like this:

++ Battalion Detachment +3CP (Aeldari - Craftworlds) [81 PL, 1500pts] ++

+ No Force Org Slot +

The Path of War

+ HQ +

Farseer [6 PL, 100pts]: 2. Doom, 3. Fortune, Shuriken Pistol, Witchblade

Spiritseer [3 PL, 45pts]: 3. Enhance/Drain, Shuriken Pistol

+ Troops +

Guardian Defenders [9 PL, 200pts]: 20x Guardian Defender

+ Elites +

Wraithguard [11 PL, 225pts]: D-scythe, 5x Wraithguard

+ Heavy Support +

+ Dedicated Transport +

++ Total: [81 PL, 1500pts] ++

I have 10 Dark Reapers but only one Fire Prism. So I´m going with the Reapers for now. Maybe for Christmas Ill get a second. :)

I´m looking forward to read your feedback!

« Last Edit: November 9, 2017, 02:41:09 PM by Irinc »

Offline SeekingOne

• Exarch
  • May Hoeth guide our ways...
  • Armies: Eldar (Saim-Hann), Space Wolves
« Reply #7 on: November 9, 2017, 03:28:39 PM »
Congrats on the win! Grey Knights are tough, so its well-deserved.

What stratagems did you use? Did you try the 4+ Inv save on Guardians on your opponent's turn 1?

Your updated list looks great imho. I'd be tempted to replace Wraithblades with a Wraithlord, but that's just me :) If I were to field Iyanden, I wouldn't want to miss the opportunity to use a Wraithlord, as Iyanden attribute is the only thing that makes Wraithlords good.

Do you think starcannon platforms on Guardians are worth it?

I fight against Chaos and for Order, because it means fighting for Life against Death. There is no other battle truly worth fighting.

"If it's not for a tournament then play whatever it is that you like. Without the pressure of having to utterly destroy your opponent it opens up alot more opportunity to have fun." - Lazarus

Offline Cavalier

• One Archon to Rules Test Them All | High Corsair Prince of Painting | Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Angels, World Eaters
« Reply #8 on: November 9, 2017, 03:34:38 PM »
Nice! Yeah I've got my eye on Wraithblades. They are an absolute blender, especially with the Psytronome. Glad to hear the 20 man Guardian squad served you well. I'm planning on running the exact same.

My only question is how did the Wraithblades hold up defensively? I'm itching to try mine this edition especially with Y'riel leading the way.

Anyway great stuff, thanks for the mini bat-rep!
Check out my army! Eldar Corsair Army

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

Offline Irinc

« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2017, 02:07:24 AM »
Thank you very much for the replies and congrats. :)

What stratagems did you use? Did you try the 4+ Inv save on Guardians on your opponent's turn 1?

Do you think starcannon platforms on Guardians are worth it?

The stratagems I used where: Guided Wraithsight (along with Psytronome), Guardians 4++ Stratagem & Re-roll one dice Stratagem.

The starcannon fills a gap in my list. If I just needed a fieldblocker I might run them with any platform. I stick to them for now. They give me a good chunk of fire support.

My only question is how did the Wraithblades hold up defensively? I'm itching to try mine this edition especially with Y'riel leading the way.

Anyway great stuff, thanks for the mini bat-rep!

I really liked fielding the blades. They cut through the grandmaster with ease. In the subsequent turn they stood their ground against half of his firepower and hold off the charge of: Voldus, Banner Carrier & 5 terminators with falchions. They laught at the dudes with 2+ save but in the end got cut up by Voldus. Very resilient.
When you use Yriel everything get a bit wonky I guess. His buff aura is almost the same as the spiritseer´s, but gets overshadowed the moment you turn on the guided Wraithsight. Nevertheless he brings very good melee power to the board. I will try him myself.

Last word on the blades, I guess if they had the Ulthwe´s 6+++ they might performed even better. In this way you become more or equaly resilient as the Death Guard. Wierd...