News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Dog of War's Multiple Army Project (Ork, Nurgle, Eldar, Dark Eldar)  (Read 70851 times)

Offline Saim-Dann

Re: Dog of War's Multiple Army Project (Ork, Nurgle, Eldar, Dark Eldar)
« Reply #240 on: November 3, 2017, 07:14:42 PM »
G'day DoW!
Silent Scream? Niiiiice! Make sure your opponents know their name and the reason for it before each game. Get in their heads right away.

As for the sail, will have to disagree with Cavalier. His suggestion is good and not wrong, however, there is another angle. With the hull purple, sails bone and the pattern red/pink there is a lot of bright colours fighting each other.

With the sails black the pattern will stand out more and the purple hull will shine even brighter. Guess it comes down to what you're after. Everything to stand out? Or the eye to go straight to the pattern, then look over the hull details.

Offline dog_of_war

• Aspect Warrior
  • Armies: Orks, Chaos Space Marines, Eldar, Dark Eldar
« Reply #241 on: November 3, 2017, 11:30:00 PM »
If I'm going to do a glyph, I'd keep the sail basic and tan and then paint the glyph using the colours Cav suggested or go with one of the transfers.

If I'm doing the web pattern on the sail, I'd leave off the glyph, as it would be too busy to have both.

I've done a few tests with the pseudo stencil I found and I'm not loving the pattern results. It would be be using different colours, having the background pink and the foreground black making the veins pink, but I'm not sold on it. I think I need to get a much finer stencil if I'm to pull it off.

So I'm back to the idea of using just the glyph. Do I use a pre-made transfer and thereby lock into a preexisting kabal or do I paint an original and stick with my new kabal?
« Last Edit: November 5, 2017, 10:26:31 PM by dog_of_war »

Offline Aurics Pride

• Aspect Warrior
  • I tread the hidden path.....
  • Armies: Eldar, Raven Guard, Slaanesh
« Reply #242 on: November 4, 2017, 06:12:04 AM »
Love the name of your Kabal bud! I love it when people start to put a bit of thought into the fluff etc of their armies, it gives them so much more personality and to be honest I think it comes out in the modelling and painting side (Just look at Cav's Lions of Asuryan).

To be honest I'm not a huge fan of the pattern of the stencil, to me it looks more like Turtle shell. If you went for an almost transluscent purple for it then I think it'd look good but currently maybe a little overpowering. The sails currently set the model off really well, they add a nice bit of contrast to the Purple hulls of the vehicle.
+++ VICTORUS AUT MORTIS +++

My Army Blog (Corsair & Raven Guard: Here

Offline Dread

• Warlock
  • Voidraven, the stone skipping across the universe.
  • Armies: Eldar, DE, Harlis, Necrons,  sisters, Death guard
« Reply #243 on: November 5, 2017, 02:42:14 AM »
My only suggestions would be to look at the different stencils in the air brush section of a hoddy store and look at the different kinds of lace in the material section.

My self, a marker and a piece of poster board or thin plastic and an exacto. Even a thin piece of tin like a soda can. Make a lightning design or a spiral graph then you're able to bend it to the curves.

Hope this helps.

"Burning thru the universe in search of peace only brings more war. Peace is an illusion, war is reality, that is the way of things"

Farseer Gol'Istria of    the Morea Nebula craftword

Offline Cavalier

• One Archon to Rules Test Them All | High Corsair Prince of Painting | Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Angels, World Eaters
« Reply #244 on: November 5, 2017, 05:39:03 AM »
Yeah I'm not a huge fan of the pattern either. Sorry to be a downer! I think the single glyph would be much cooler. Personally I don't think you need anything on the sail, but if I did anything it'd be the glyph. The cream color came out so nice and its a nice bit of contrast that gives the model a lot of dynamism. I say pass! I like what you have done already. A small embellishment via a single glyph will go much further than something more dramatic.
Check out my army! Eldar Corsair Army

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

Offline dog_of_war

• Aspect Warrior
« Reply #245 on: November 5, 2017, 10:26:05 PM »
Thanks for the feedback guys. I am completely on board with abandoning the stencil pattern. It's not nearly as fine detail as I would like and really needs to be symmetrical.

So at this point, this is as far as I go with the raiders. With all your positive comments, I think I'm pretty stuck on keeping with my original kabal, which means I need to come up with my own sigil. So until I can figure that out, I'm not going to glue any of the crew, sails, or spears in place. I've dry fit them so you can see the completed effect.

So I'm going to have to leave the transports alone for a while because I'm wasting so much time researching and testing out designs that I'm impeding my painting progress. So next up some elites choices.
« Last Edit: November 5, 2017, 10:27:23 PM by dog_of_war »

Offline Saim-Dann

« Reply #246 on: November 6, 2017, 01:42:04 AM »
Magic, DoW, just magic!
The crew is just lining up, begging to be blue-taced onto the deck for a photo op. 

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #247 on: November 6, 2017, 07:20:44 AM »
They look sick DoW. Just classic stuff and so well executed. I actually think the all purple armor (including the shoulder pads) looks really nice. Wouldn't change a thing.

If you are looking for glyph ideas check out some of the High Elf/Dark Elf runes for classic Warhammer Fantasy. I've used some of those in the past. I'm sure you can find some good scans online.

Anyway great stuff bud looking great. Can't wait to see how you are gonna bulk out the army!

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #248 on: November 6, 2017, 04:40:26 PM »
fantastic colour scheme.

I couldn't help but think your crew had been lined up against the wall ready for the firing squad though :)

Offline dog_of_war

• Aspect Warrior
« Reply #249 on: November 6, 2017, 11:36:24 PM »
Thanks guys. I so want to put everything together, but I have to resist the urge until I get my heraldry figured out. Otherwise it's going to be a be-atch to paint/airbrush/transfer the images.

Thanks for the advice on the fantasy range Cav. There's some great stuff out there that I may pillage.

So up next is the first elite  choice. I don't want to particularly batch paint these, so you'll get some work in progress shots one at a time.

First with base coats.

Then with some highlights and a few washes.

Added maybe a few too many images, but I wasn't sure how the lighting was going to show any of the highlights.
« Last Edit: November 9, 2017, 09:50:17 AM by dog_of_war »

Offline Saim-Dann

« Reply #250 on: November 7, 2017, 01:07:45 AM »
Great looking model, DoW!
Unfortunately, to me, the blue/green are too bright with the purple. Lolly looking even. You've heard me mention before about colours fighting each other. This is what I meant.

You don't have to change the colours. Just having the hair and swords much darker shades would allow the purple to shine in its own right.

If this was already your intention and you hadn't finished with the washes? Please ignore everything just said... be well!

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #251 on: November 7, 2017, 07:31:53 AM »
Oh man I really dig this! I gotta disagree with Saim-Dann, I like the brighter more vivid colors. I wouldn't change anything. I really like the green swords in particular, and the hair I think works just fine. Plays off the purple without totally blending in, but doesn't seem so bright as to clash. But hey thats just me. Yeah I majorly dig it DoW.

My only thing is you could blend the "gleams" on the sword a bit more. You could even just throw a super heavy Biel-Tan GLOSS wash on it and it'll do the work for you (to a fair extent). Anyway I like her DoW. Keep rocking bud this army is gonna look great.

Offline dog_of_war

• Aspect Warrior
« Reply #252 on: November 7, 2017, 11:02:42 PM »
Thanks for the comments guys. There's still more washes and highlights to come Saim-dann, but I understand where you're coming from. The blue hair is in homage to the kabal of the Last Hatred, that also has purple armour. As these are going to be Lhamaean, I wanted to go the traditional bright green to indicate poison blades. It does give it a little cartoonish feel, but that's my rogue trader ork paint schemes coming through.

I took your advice Cav and washed the blades some more. I used Camo Shade instead of the Gloss to keep it a mat finish. I also did the gleams on both sides and the second sword. Hair was highlighted and washed, which just leaves the banner next, which I'll hold off until the heraldry gets sorted out.

I really need a better camera that has a manual focus. :(
« Last Edit: November 9, 2017, 09:51:13 AM by dog_of_war »

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #253 on: November 8, 2017, 07:46:58 AM »
Looking good DoW! Also yes... the struggle is real with digital cameras! It took me 3 years how to use the camera on my iphone (in particular the focus lock and contrast controls). Also didn't realize this was going to be a Lahmian. Cool! Big fan of the color choices my friend. Just love the overall colors of this army. Keep rocking bud.

Offline dog_of_war

• Aspect Warrior
« Reply #254 on: November 9, 2017, 09:42:16 AM »
Thanks Cav. I think I made some progress with the camera, as I figured out how to lock the auto-focus, so hopefully these next photos read a little clearer.

Up next, Lhamaean #2.

Offline Ynneadwraith

• Corsair
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #255 on: November 9, 2017, 08:06:11 PM »
Man I've missed loads! Loving the background fluff to your Kabal. Perfectly fitting for Dark Eldar, and it's nice that their practices have some sort of ideological root. Feels like a very believable evolution of thinking (for a Dark Eldar, that is).

Right call with ditching the stencil. Definitely didn't work out the way I'd pictured it when I was reading earlier. If you come up with a rune for your Kabal then you could always make a stencil of that (or have one laser-cut from plastic) so you can airbrush that for repeatability :)

I've been having some thoughts about something to try on your Kabalite's armour plates actually. You're welcome to completely disregard this as it's a little experimental and I can't work out in my head whether it'll look amazing or a bit off, but you could try giving the edges of the armour plates a bit of a rough edge-drybrush of your gold colour. Sort of like a more distinct (so streaky edge bits on all the plates rather than just the knees) version of this:

Check out my Eldar, Exodites, Corsairs and Croneworlders :)

Eldar, Exodites, Corsairs and Croneworlders!

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #256 on: November 10, 2017, 07:43:26 AM »
Looking super solid DoW. The pose looks really cool head on. I continue to love the colors... the skin tone, hair and the purple of the armor (as well as the banner) all looks awesome. It just looks really vivid and again I just love the colors. Keep rocking man! Can't wait to see some of the units you are gonna rock

Offline dog_of_war

• Aspect Warrior
« Reply #257 on: November 11, 2017, 11:55:37 PM »
Thanks again guys. Glad you're digging the colours. I can totally envision what you're describing Ynneadwraith. It would definitely bring a more realistic, gritty feel to the models, almost like battle damage. It completely fits with my usually dinghy painting schemes like my orks and chaos. I really wanted to keep these guys as clean of a paint job as possible, as I'm trying to work on my technical prowess with this army and I'm certainly lacking in the neat and tidy department. I will most certainly keep that idea alive and well once I start toying with some grotesques or wracks in the future.

Here's the last two Lhamaean which frees me up to start batch painting all my kabalite warriors. Time to put this airbrush to work.

« Last Edit: November 11, 2017, 11:57:02 PM by dog_of_war »

Offline Dread

• Warlock
  • Voidraven, the stone skipping across the universe.
  • Armies: Eldar, DE, Harlis, Necrons,  sisters, Death guard
« Reply #258 on: November 12, 2017, 01:00:55 AM »
I'm a very big fan of purple and green and you just flat knocked it outta the park bro.
"Burning thru the universe in search of peace only brings more war. Peace is an illusion, war is reality, that is the way of things"

Farseer Gol'Istria of    the Morea Nebula craftword

Offline Ynneadwraith

• Corsair
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #259 on: November 14, 2017, 10:27:56 AM »
Yeah that was the idea :) sort of like the colour has scraped off the edges of the plates.

Can definitely see practicing getting the scheme and technique down before doing any wilder experiments. That's what most of my stuff has been up until very recently. Always planned to go back to stuff when I've sorted techniques I like :)

Looking forward to more dude :)
Check out my Eldar, Exodites, Corsairs and Croneworlders :)

Eldar, Exodites, Corsairs and Croneworlders!