News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Dog of War's Multiple Army Project (Ork, Nurgle, Eldar, Dark Eldar)  (Read 70414 times)

Offline Cavalier

• One Archon to Rules Test Them All | High Corsair Prince of Painting | Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Angels, World Eaters
Re: Dog of War's Multiple Army Project (Ork, Nurgle, Eldar, Dark Eldar)
« Reply #200 on: September 18, 2017, 07:55:27 AM »
NICE!!! Dark Eldar are meant to be in purple! Looking good so far. Congrats on surviving your first airbrush experience. It can be harrowing. Also I do recommend edge highlighting ... I think the hybrid look is really the way to go with spot edgehighlight on the pointiest/most detailed areas while still letting the airbrush do its thing. Anyway look great good luck DoW!
Check out my army! Eldar Corsair Army

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

Offline Ynneadwraith

• Corsair
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #201 on: September 18, 2017, 08:32:31 AM »
Haha i don't tend to need an excuse to have a good glass of red, but i'll certainly use that as justification ;)

Another favourite of mine is that there's a reasonable body of evidence that suggests that one or two alcholic drinks improves creative problem solving ;)

Either way it seems to have worked nicely!
Check out my Eldar, Exodites, Corsairs and Croneworlders :)

Eldar, Exodites, Corsairs and Croneworlders!

Offline Aurics Pride

• Aspect Warrior
  • I tread the hidden path.....
  • Armies: Eldar, Raven Guard, Slaanesh
« Reply #202 on: September 18, 2017, 11:00:15 AM »
Awesome stuff!
To be honest I think the entire Eldar and Dark Eldar ranges are just built for airbrushing. Purple is a superb choice of colour for Dark Eldar vehicles though. Can't wait to see how these turn out, off to a good start already!
+++ VICTORUS AUT MORTIS +++

My Army Blog (Corsair & Raven Guard: Here

Offline Blazinghand

• Warlock | Master of the Ravenwing
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Die for the Emperor or die trying!
  • Armies: Eldar, Orks
« Reply #203 on: September 18, 2017, 01:58:04 PM »
That's a great looking purple! It really has that Dark Eldar feel to it.
Quote from: Howard Zinn
There is no flag large enough to cover the shame of killing innocent people.

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #204 on: September 18, 2017, 07:01:03 PM »
At least that GW primer saved my butt and covered over that horrible hardware store spray.

The hardware store primers have been hit and miss for me over the years. So far rust-oleum's ultra cover primers have been working out well though. Nice smooth finish and it's too thick like some I've tried. and it less than half the price of gw's stuff down here.

Offline Saim-Dann

« Reply #205 on: September 19, 2017, 10:36:33 PM »
G'day Dog of War!
Looking Michy Mouse, mate. Careful with the plonk though, D. You never know what else you'll wake up too covered in purple... Cat, kids, the mother-in-law!

Offline Looshkin

• Aspect Warrior
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Once held an Utter Fear of Tiny Diamonds
  • Armies: I 'play' Eldar. Or at least horde unpainted models
« Reply #206 on: September 20, 2017, 06:02:26 AM »
Awesome stuff DoW! That purple coverage is terrific, you can tell that you've found a good pressure/dilution combo.

Most importantly; what type of good red? Merlot? Malbec? Shiraz?
WD127 - Started a Love Affair my Wallet Just Can't Cope With...

Offline dog_of_war

• Aspect Warrior
  • Armies: Orks, Chaos Space Marines, Eldar, Dark Eldar
« Reply #207 on: September 20, 2017, 08:18:08 AM »
@Cavalier ya, you might be right with the edge highlighting. It's my least favourite way to paint, but I should really challenge myself, if I want to improve. I'm going to try and use your method for metal and paint a base coat first and then wash, like you've done with your golds. I've been stuck doing the old second edition black base then drybrush metallic for way too long.

@Ynneadwraith completely agree about the drinks loosening up the creativity. Unfortunately it also makes me just a little clumsy and I spilled my mixing pot not once, but twice. Good thing I had a good solid working surface that contained the spills rather well.

@Auric's Pride I couldn't agree more. Ever since I painted my eldar army, I've longed to try airbrushing. The lines and shapes of the models are just so clean and transitions so smooth, a brushstroke just seems to not do it justice.

@Blazinghand. Thanks! I had to look far and wide for a decent airbrush quality purple that wasn't to primary school or neon. Finally settled on the Golden Acrylics line.

@Magenb the primer was actually very smooth and fine, and covered the models very well. The issue was that the airbrush paint just would not stick to it. Going to save it for my terrain pieces though, as I use a completely different line of acryllics that seem to have no issues with adhesion.

@Saim-dann luckily I keep my shop door closed or else my cat would most certainly be purple by the morning.  ;)

@Looshkin it was a Cabernet Sauvignon. I bottle my own and this one has the wet grape skins added which boosted the body phenomenally. The great thing with homemade wine is there's much less chance of a headache the next day, as you need to put much less sulfates in prior to bottling. The problem is you tend to drink a heck of a lot more of it and a good night is usually measured in number of bottles drunk instead of glasses.

Offline dog_of_war

• Aspect Warrior
« Reply #208 on: October 6, 2017, 10:33:08 PM »
Sorry for the lack of updates, I've been pulling in a lot of overtime shifts at work, as my underlings keep jumping ship and I'm forced to work pro bono to keep everything afloat (damn salary positions). I have however been able to keep the painting steady on the dark kin. I've got four raider hulls in all their base coats and a single wash done, which may not sound like a lot, but I've been using non-GW paint to try and keep this army cost effective to paint and, even though its taking much longer and many more coats, I'm pretty pleased with the results. I've also finished modeling and priming the  Sesame Street reclaimed buildings, which should see some paint slapped on it by the end of the week.

Also, I have my second 8th edition game lined up against my local buddy and his Chaos Noise Marine army. It will be his first introduction to 8th edition and we're going to keep it small at 60 power points and hopefully get a few games in. I've come up with an ork, eldar, and dark eldar list and I'm not too sure which one will see the table first. Any suggestions to what you'd like to see face off against some heretic astartes?

« Last Edit: October 6, 2017, 10:36:37 PM by dog_of_war »

Offline Saim-Dann

« Reply #209 on: October 7, 2017, 04:58:02 AM »
Oh my!
Can see the potential in those canopies, mate. beautiful color, and how the shop turned out...? Niiiiice!  Saw Mr. Hooper leaning out, talking to big bird in the unpainted photo. Now they're starting to look more suited for a gaming table... Well done so far... Pointy ears forever!!     

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #210 on: October 7, 2017, 08:04:33 AM »
Wow looking super nice DoW. Just love that purple. Killing it!

Personally I'd love to see you take the DE for a spin. I'd love to see how they do. Dark Eldar in such a good place right now. Take those bad boys out for a spin!

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

Offline Aurics Pride

• Aspect Warrior
  • I tread the hidden path.....
  • Armies: Eldar, Raven Guard, Slaanesh
« Reply #211 on: October 7, 2017, 09:07:11 AM »
I am loving that purple! Those raiders look pretty damn sweet already, can't wait to see them progress.
Good luck with the game, Dark Eldar are really good at the moment. The firepower they can put out is pretty intimidating and their vehicles have now become pretty resilient.
+++ VICTORUS AUT MORTIS +++

My Army Blog (Corsair & Raven Guard: Here

Offline Dread

• Warlock
  • Voidraven, the stone skipping across the universe.
  • Armies: Eldar, DE, Harlis, Necrons,  sisters, Death guard
« Reply #212 on: October 9, 2017, 01:33:18 PM »
Thunderstruck! I hear that playing in the background. Nuff said
"Burning thru the universe in search of peace only brings more war. Peace is an illusion, war is reality, that is the way of things"

Farseer Gol'Istria of    the Morea Nebula craftword

Offline Ynneadwraith

• Corsair
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #213 on: October 9, 2017, 07:25:26 PM »
Love that purple dude :) manages to look both deep and vibrant which is no mean feat. Great colour choice :)
Check out my Eldar, Exodites, Corsairs and Croneworlders :)

Eldar, Exodites, Corsairs and Croneworlders!

Offline dog_of_war

• Aspect Warrior
« Reply #214 on: October 14, 2017, 09:45:06 AM »
Thanks for the kind words on the colour choices guys. I eventually tried some edge highlighting, but the gw colours just didn't mesh with the airbrushed purple. I'll do some more experimenting with lightening up the airbrush paint for some highlights.

Had my first 8th edition game  against my local buddy that's been off sick for almost a year. He brought his Emperor's Children and I brought my orks. I wanted to use a force I was relatively familiar with, as this was my friends first 8th edition game and I was going to have teach the new rules alongside playing my own army. We played 60 power points to try and keep the game simple and a little quicker. Good thing we did because we spent half the time catching up and had a chance for only two and a half turns.

Orks
20 slugga boys PK nob
20 slugga boys PK nob
30 shoota boys PK nob
20 gretchin
KFF big mek
weird boy
snikrot
10 kommandos x2 burnas
deff dread x4 klaws

Emperor's Children
10 noise marines x2 sonic blasters
10 noise marines x2 sonic blasters
10 possessed in a rhino
Noise marine lord
Noise marine sorcerer
3 obliterators
3 obliterators

We played table halves and played with no objectives, just a straight up brawl to get the hang of the rules. He ended up going first as I had two more drops.

His turn consisted of advancing his rhino with the possessed and a squad of noise marines. He then deepstruck a unit of obliterators on my right flank by my dread. His shooting took out only a few boys, but my dread saw a ton of firepower from the obliterators and was brought down to three wounds.

In my turn I teleport my shoota boys to intercept the obliterators and snikrot brings his kommandos into the refinery to try and take out some noise marines. This turns out to be a huge tactical mistake.

I shoot into the obliterators and he only takes two wounds thanks to the 2+ saves. I charge and fail the first roll, but make the reroll. This is where I feel the first iteration of codex creep. Emperor's Children have an army wide rule that allow him to always strike first in combat, which turns into a huge advantage over my assault army. His obliterators take out a few orks and I hit back, but only achieve eliminating the wounded obliterator.

On his turn he casts feel no pain on his rhinos, which is another huge tactical win for him, as he charges into a big mob of boys. Not doing much, but I only end up doing three wounds total after all the feel no pain saves. I also discover this round that sonic weapons ignore cover bonuses and I see my kommandos cut in half.

To be continued...

Offline Saim-Dann

« Reply #215 on: October 14, 2017, 09:08:26 PM »
Oooooouch!
So, field a shooty list when going against Emporer's Children. Thanks for the heads up, mate. Am hoping the, "To be continued ", is for dramatic effect for your boyz coming back and kicking some Chaos buttocks. By the way, a year off sick sounds serious. Hope your mate has beaten whatever sidelined him for so long... Pointy ears forever!!
« Last Edit: October 14, 2017, 09:12:04 PM by Saim-dann »

Offline dog_of_war

• Aspect Warrior
« Reply #216 on: October 14, 2017, 10:19:37 PM »
Thanks Saim-dann, I actually ran out of time this morning and wanted to finish up the bat rep tonight. There will most certainly be a rematch coming, hopefully in the next two weeks.

So to continue...

On my turn I realize the kommandos are sitting ducks without their cover saves so I go straight for the charge on the noise marines, which leads me to my third learning of the game; noise marines put out a tremendous amount of shots. So much so that I lose the entire second half of unit to just overwatch. Snikrot makes the hail Mary charge himself, losing half his wounds for the effort and then with the Emperor's Children army wide rule in effect, he dies in assault before he can attack.

My shoota boys finally destroy the last obliterator and my second slugga boys mob surrounds the rhino. The weirdboy smites the transport for a few mortal wounds and we finish it off in close combat, but the surround is only effective enough to remove half the possessed inside, the second half able to deploy just past the inch from my boys.

His next turn sees one of the slugga boy mobs wiped off the board from sonic fire and the grots are decimated. At this point it's past midnight and with little mobility or numbers left I concede against the firing squad that remains.

So a few lessons I learned from the game I was supposed to be teaching.

1. Emperor's Children are difficult to assault. You can't count on hitting first, which is of huge importance to an ork assault army

2. Sonic weapons make kommando saves useless, which is the main reason to take them.

3. Sonic weapons put out tremendous amounts of overwatch, which intensifies topic #1.

Now granted, I rolled a lot of 1s and 2s that game and he rolled a lot of invulnerable and feel no pain saves and made an unbelievable amount of successful overwatch attacks, but I was terribly unprepared for how outmatched I felt. The list I brought was in no way prepared to deal with taking it on the chin when it came to assaulting and his was most certainly built to receive a charge.

Still, super happy to have the game. Was a ton of fun and it was great to catch up after a year and it was great to see my friend in better health.

I grabbed a few shots of his guys. Hoping to get a better army wide shot once he completes his starter force in a week of so.

Some noise marines. The ksons in the back were just proxies.

Some obliterators and a Noise Lord.

Offline DuckWake

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #217 on: October 15, 2017, 05:20:17 AM »
Emperor's Children have an army wide rule that allow him to always strike first in combat, which turns into a huge advantage over my assault army. His obliterators take out a few orks and I hit back, but only achieve eliminating the wounded obliterator.

The always strike first special rules don't always let you strike first. It only lets you activate them during the same stage of combat activations as charging units and other units with the fight first ability.

"If the enemy has units that have charged, or that have a similar ability, then alternate choosing units to fight with, starting with the player whose turn is taking place."

You would have activated your boys to fight with first. Though I may have misread, if you made multiple charges that turn, then your opponent could have activated the oblits to fight after your first unit attacked.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2017, 05:24:23 AM by DuckWake »

Offline Saim-Dann

« Reply #218 on: October 15, 2017, 08:03:00 AM »
Hi DoW!
Thanks to your batrep we've all learned the same lessons. Obviously catching up to your old mate was the bigger win anyway. He's got some serious painting skills going on there also... Be well!... Both of you!

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #219 on: October 15, 2017, 08:27:43 AM »
Yeah props the DuckWake on the rules. Thats a big one. That rule is mainly meant for units stuck in going combats to go 1st in subsequent turns.

I wouldn't take too, too much away from a 60pl game. Those sonic weapons are nasty, the overwatch is nasty, but in a normal 100PL/2000pt game you are gonna have trukks and chaff units to throw into the overwatch and your boyz are gonna wreck house.

Glad your buddy is feeling better though, cause I know you were pretty bummed when he first got sick. His Noise Marines are freaking awesome looking!

Hope you guys some more battle in soon. Good luck bud!