News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Eldar Corsairs, Pre-Heresy Dark Angels + World Eaters  (Read 348047 times)

Offline Irisado

• A Light in The Grim-Darkness ~ Guns Don't Kill People, Copyright Stats Do | Farseer | Reporting Live! from the Crime Scene | Somewhat behind the times
  • Administrator
  • Soñando debajo del arco iris
  • Armies: Administrators must not play 40K
Re: Eldar Corsairs, Pre-Heresy Dark Angels + World Eaters
« Reply #1560 on: November 4, 2017, 02:45:28 PM »
Just to clarify, I certainly don't think that it was a strong army or a power gaming army, rather it strikes me a 'non army'.  It makes no sense to me to build such an army or for it to be legal to construct such an army.  All very strange.
You haunt my in-box like an ex-girl friend could only dream of.

The Forum Rules - Please Read and Remember Them.

Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Offline Looshkin

• Aspect Warrior
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Once held an Utter Fear of Tiny Diamonds
  • Armies: I 'play' Eldar. Or at least horde unpainted models
« Reply #1561 on: November 4, 2017, 05:57:05 PM »
Cool Bat Rep Cav. Glad you managed to overcome your early errors and pull out the win.

I'm with Irisado though; his army should never be allowed to be an army. I'm all for people being able to play whatever they want from their collection...but within reason. No sane general would come up with that force to engage the enemy. It's bonkers, against any fluff that I have read and frankly wrong.
WD127 - Started a Love Affair my Wallet Just Can't Cope With...

Offline Dread

• Warlock
  • Voidraven, the stone skipping across the universe.
  • Armies: Eldar, DE, Harlis, Necrons,  sisters, Death guard
« Reply #1562 on: November 5, 2017, 02:49:47 AM »
Ya see here in Texas we wear boots to help with the bullamphetamine parrot. However our boots wouldn't help with that kind. You are a very great sport and gamer to have even agreed to face that BS. Glad for you victory.
"Burning thru the universe in search of peace only brings more war. Peace is an illusion, war is reality, that is the way of things"

Farseer Gol'Istria of    the Morea Nebula craftword

Offline Cavalier

• One Archon to Rules Test Them All | High Corsair Prince of Painting | Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Angels, World Eaters
« Reply #1563 on: November 5, 2017, 03:04:24 PM »
@Saim-Dann- lol thanks bud! Yeah I just forgot to keep my guys 7 inches close on turn 1… big blunder but oh well. We we’re BSing a lot in the beginning so that’ll happen. Anyway thanks man!

@Auric’s Pride- Hey AP thanks man. Yeah it was a weird army… he was trying to Smite Spam me but it just didn’t work. I think he was planning on the Knight and the Raven lasting longer and doing more damage but I wasn’t gonna let that happen. I can see where that list would actually catch some people off Guard because its super mobile, can actually put out a ton of wounds that are super hard to deny… but it just cannot take a hit. I knew as soon as I took out the Knight and Raven it would be game over. Because I can deal with those Librarians, just not backed up by the Knight and Raven. I told him if he had just replaced all those Librarians with normal Marines and some Teriminators he would’ve done soooo much better. The Knight, 2x Talons and Raven are a great combination. You just need stuff to keep up the pressure alongside them. Anyway thanks bud appreciate the praise for the use of my army, it means a lot. Thanks buddy!

@Irisado- lol… I agree with you so much Irisado. It was a shame too because my buddy Chris is the “loremaster” of all my gaming friends. He reads Black Library galore and knows the ins and outs of the Soul Drinkers history to the Nth degree. Honestly he’s a great guy… but he’s desperate to beat me! lol… he’s lost every single game he’s ever played against me over the course of 3 years and (modesty forbids me from detailing how many games it probably is). He’s actually a decent player and has a winning record against other players just not me. I had a case like that with my friend who played Space Wolves and Necrons. Although it was only like a 4 game losing streak… but still it hurt! lol… Chris has thrown everything at me, Battle Company, Battle-Company + Sky Hammer, White Scars Grav-Cav, Drop Centurions lists, normal lists, balanced lists and now this. Like I mentioned to AP I told him if he’d just drop all those Librarians and had a standard Marine force backing up the Knight and Flyers he’d have done really good. The last game we played (which I didn’t bat-rep) he brought a normal type list and did great… but lost on the last turn. I thought that would’ve encouraged him to stick with a balanced list but nope.

But still I agree with you whole heartedly. It was a ridiculous list and not befitting of a lover of the lore!

@Faitherun- lol… damn poor Chris you guys are crushing him! But hey he deserves it! lol  I agree with you… I did think it was a weak list. I think it actually has some potential perhaps if you can’t deal with the Flyers… and they plus the Knight really whack you turn 1 and then the bikes ride in and sort of smite the hell out of you. Perhaps against a sort of Conscript spam type army with short range on the Leman Russ….??? But I admit I’m stretching things. I don’t know why he took this list… because I helped him craft a similar list that beat the ever so living hell out of one of the really good IG players in my area but just fleshed out with all manner of actual Marines. lol… Anyways I agree with you my man! Thanks for stopping by and checking out the bat-rep Faitherun I appreciate it!

@Looshkin- Thanks so much Loosh. Damn! My man Chris is getting dogged! lol.. he deserves it though. From a lore stand point its kind of a travesty. Not too good from a gaming POV too lol… poor Chris! Anyway thanks Loosh I appreciate you checking in as always. Thanks my man.

@Dread- lololol! Oh damn… call a medic this man is getting burned alive on the forum! Poor Chris! I’ll never send him to this forum. Its true though… like I said it was a travesty to the lore. When he asked me “How many detachments are you cool with?” I knew I was in for some BS. But Chris is a LONG time buddy. One of the first guys I played when I moved down here and just an awesome dude. But like I said… he’s on a 3 years losing streak against me… and modesty FORBIDS me from detailing how many games it probably is… but you are right. Damn this is an inferno level burn fest going on here. Poor Chris! lol Anyway thanks so much Dread I cant disagree with you.

@Everybody- Oh man in typing my response I practically forgot what I came here to share today but you guys had me cracking up. Damn that was funny!

SO on to what I hope is an ode and honor the lore! The post-Codex refitting continues… and lo and behold I find myself with a 2nd Eldar army. I did the unthinkable and stripped 2 of my Hornets and have begun repainting my Swooping Hawks!

I cannot tell you guys how excited I am for the new Dex. I’m chomping at the bit to record our CWE codex review on Splintermind and even more pumped to play. The new Codex has really changed the way I look at my collection. It basically opened the door for the “Shadowstrike Coterie” element of my army which was painted in all black just to make my army a bit more visually interesting to become an army of its own. It really stems from the decision to my Rangers in all black way back in 5th… but my 7th edition obsession with Striking Scorpions opened the door a bit wider… in strode the War Walker and the door opened a bit further… then 8th edition dropped and Craftworld system busted the door off its hinges.

I’m now making a dedicated “Alaitoc” wing of my overall collection and strictly dividing my army into those two wings. I’m pretty sure I’ll be playing Iyanden for my Lions of Asuryan host with the my Corsair Prince doubling as Prince Y’riel or the Visarch. I acutally have a really cool list that I’ll share with you guys and you can let me know what you think.

Anyway here are the pictures check them out!

So as you can see I’m doubling down on the Alaitoc theme and even used their glyph on these Hornet which I think looks super cool. I hope you guys like it. I feel a little cheesy going with Alaitoc as its the most obvious advantage (but not the best IMO) but I hope that my dedication to theme shows in the list and as you guys know I’ve been playing my Shadowstrike Coterie with strong dedication going back all the way to 8th with my Striking Scorpion obsession (which is being honored once again!)

So check out my list concept

CWE Doube Battalion List

-Iyanden Warhost-
Prince Y’riel
Spirit Seer- Protect/Jinx, Quicken Restrain
Wraithguard- Cannons
Wraithguard- Scythes
   Wave Serpent
Guardians x20
Guardians x10
Storm Guardians x10- Flamers x2

-Alaitoc Warhost-
Illic Nightspear
Spirit Seer- Shiftshroud of Alanssair, Quick/Restrain, Enhance/Drain
Warlock- Conceal/Reveal
Rangers x5
Rangers x5
Rangers x5
Striking Scorpions x10- Claw
Hornet- Bright Lance x2
Swooping Hawks x5
Reapers x5
Reapers x5

Total- 1993

Basically the Iyanden wing is my attack wing. I probably could have used another CW to greater effect but I have to have an awesome HQ leading the way and since they’ve pretty much gutted the Autarch I have to have Y’riel who is one of my faves of all time. Besides in the lore of my army my Corsair Prince is an ally to Y’riel and the Eldritch Raiders so its fitting… plus the whole back story of when my Prince left his Craftworld… his ancestors from the Ghost Hall followed him into exile… so I think it fits.

The Alaitoc Wing is super tricky… basically the Reapers, Rangers, Illic and Conceal/Reveal Warlock are gonna hang together and be concealed. While the Spirit Seer is gonna deepstrike deploy alongside the Scorpions, cast Quicken on them so they can assault out of Deepstrike. The Hawks will deploy in support of them hopefully punching a hole through any screening units (with assistance from the deepstriking 20x Guardian squad from their Iyanden brothers if required) allowing the Wraithguard to get in deeper and hopefully pop tanks and Knights or whatever.

Y’riel and his Wraithguard will be riding into the breach but also stand ready to intercept anything coming towards the heart of my army.

All the while the Rangers and Illic should be taking out important characters like Commissars, Company Commanders etc. They can deepstrike and do that, while the Warlock + Reapers can be shifted around using Phantasm before T1.

Anyway been working on this for awhile and wanted to run it by you guys. Didn’t want to explain it all at the beginning of a bat-rep… so hope a few of you guys could make it through the slog of reading. Anyway let me know what you guys think! All comments and critcisms are encouraged! Thanks to those who read all this! Thanks for all your feedback guys… stay tuned I’ve got some awesome stuff coming up!
Check out my army! Eldar Corsair Army

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

Offline Saim-Dann

« Reply #1564 on: November 5, 2017, 04:32:13 PM »
Oh, my!
Those Sky Reavers/Swooping Hawks look very nice in black, mate. The copper guns on the Hornet look Micky Mouse as well. Nice choice. As I've said on my own project blog, Cavalier. Red maybe fast but there is nothing sleeker than black.

Will be interested to see how your list works out. Haven't seen or experienced the new rules enough to give an honest critique. Your plan of attack sounds solid though... Be well!

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #1565 on: November 6, 2017, 04:37:22 PM »
That black colour scheme just works :)

Interesting call on the scorpion placement, knee jerk reaction would be to place them in Iyanden, but your playing Eldar mind games - do you get within 12 to shoot them and be in charge range or do you back off....

Now that Swooping Hawks are no longer rapid fire, that's actually a nice fit there, keep them out of horde mass fire range while still being able to drill them.. solid anti-T3-horde option while not really losing much damage output against Marine style infantry (vs DA's), I actually like that a lot.

Ynnari and Harlies can pull off the double move more reliably than CWE, unless you have lucky dice, it will most likely need a CP re-roll to go off.

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #1566 on: November 7, 2017, 07:40:13 AM »
@Saim-Dann- Thanks so much my man. Yeah I'm a monster fan of the all black Eldar. I've been in love with that scheme ever since I saw the original art for the Falcon Gravtank. Also Ulthwe was my first army. Thanks on the copper too, I think it ties the two forces together (with the gold on the Lions of Asuryan). Anyway thanks my man.

@Magenb- Thanks bud. Yeah the Scorps gotta be in Alaitoc. The idea being they deepstrike 12" away to get the Alaitoc buff, hopefully the Spiritseer (whose shiftshrouding in with them) can get off quicken. If he doesnt they'll just hang out for a turn in cover with the -1 to hit (with the rest of my coming at my opponent full bore) then they can move the next turn with quicken support if necessary.

As for the Hawks they are gonna be back in a big way. IG is my primary opponent so they'll be super useful and I dont need to use CP's to Webway them in. Plus they'll be in Alaitoc range and then Skyleap away if they need to/survive. I figure the 20-Man Guardian bomb, plus 20 shots from the Hawks can rinse away just about any bubble wrap, to let the Wraithguard get in and do their thing.

Yeah I'm waiting to see what the deal is with Ynnari and how they interact with the CWE codex. Got some ominous hints from Frontline Gaming... so I'm gonna wait it out. Plus I'm just in love with the Webway Strike stratagem so I'll probably stick CWE for awhile until Ynnari get some stratagems. Anyway thanks so much Mage glad you like my plan.

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

Offline SeekingOne

• Exarch
  • May Hoeth guide our ways...
  • Armies: Eldar (Saim-Hann), Space Wolves
« Reply #1567 on: November 8, 2017, 03:50:44 PM »
Didn't check this blog for a month - and oh my, what a wealth of fantastic paint jobs appeared here! :) Can't possibly comment on each of them, but they are all awesome. Love the look of that black-armoured Eldar division. But what totally amazed me was the Triumvirate - so beautiful! Just love the combination of dark blue and purple, mixed with some gold, green and black. Would you mind if I steal that colour scheme for my new project? :)
I fight against Chaos and for Order, because it means fighting for Life against Death. There is no other battle truly worth fighting.

"If it's not for a tournament then play whatever it is that you like. Without the pressure of having to utterly destroy your opponent it opens up alot more opportunity to have fun." - Lazarus

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #1568 on: November 9, 2017, 07:32:10 AM »
Hey Seeking One! Lol... I know I've been on an epic hobby run. Thanks for checking my stuff out though man, always appreciated. As for the Triumvirate, totally man go for it! I post most of this stuff just to give people ideas. I acutally just finished another Triumvirate... the Yncarne came out particularly nice for a Tabletop Plus standard (two highlights, tiny bit of blending). Sort of a hybrid of GW style and the one you are referring too. I'm sure you are familiar with the paints but the key ones are Pink Horror and Stegadon Green. Anyway thanks bud appreciate it! Hope you'll share what you are working on!

IMG_7264 by Eldar Cavalier, on Flickr

Offline Ynneadwraith

• Corsair
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #1569 on: November 9, 2017, 07:35:41 PM »
Damn Cav your blacked-out Hornets look mean ;) really liking the expansion of your guys to different Cotories using adapted Craftworld rules. Keeping that beautiful 7th ed. Corsairs 'dex alive until FW sorts it out ;)

I wonder if there are other Craftworld traits that can be used to simulate other Cotories from the old 'dex...

Ooh! Not that I'm suggesting you start a third army while you're mid-way through the second, but you should so paint your Ynnari-dudes in mainly white (with red and black as spot colours). You'd have three wings of your Corsair force, painted in three variations of the core three colours using red, black and white (or Celestra Grey) as their respective base colours ;)
Check out my Eldar, Exodites, Corsairs and Croneworlders :)

Eldar, Exodites, Corsairs and Croneworlders!

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #1570 on: November 10, 2017, 07:40:35 AM »
lol... a 3rd wing to my Eldar army... oh dear. Honestly I'd love to do that. I've always wanted a Celestra Grey Eldar army... painted super alien and ghostly. However if I did I'd actually want to do them as proper Craftworlders. I'd want to basically make the more modern sculpts look as alien as possible. I do love the idea though of doing the with the Ynnari... the Visarch would look killer in that scheme. But sadly I need to bring things somewhat to a close with my Eldar soon. I've made a major deviation in my plans and I have to get back to the World Eaters and eventually Dark Angels. I'm so close to finishing my World Eaters armies. Just need some Berserkers, another Predator and the final HQ choice.

I am hoping to add a couple of things to the Eldar over the next year though. I've got my eye on a couple of super heavies... one of which will make the force over the next 12 months.

But I have to get the World Eaters + Dark Angels complete this year. I really want to start a youtube channel but I cant do it until I have a nice suite of armies to mix things up with....

It is a fantastic idea though Ynnead. It'd look spectacular. Thanks so much for your feedback bud it means a lot.  ;D ;D ;D

Offline Ynneadwraith

• Corsair
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #1571 on: November 10, 2017, 10:04:55 AM »
Boo hiss World Eaters ;)

Nah they're excellent man,and it does winders to strike out painting different stuff in different ways. I'm a patient man. I can wait for your 3rd eldar force when the time's right ;)

Love the idea of making craftworlders ethereal and alien. Right up my street ;)

Offline Saim-Dann

« Reply #1572 on: November 11, 2017, 01:21:40 AM »
G'day Cavalier!
You'll be able to paint Triumvirate in your sleep, mate. Looking very nice and the idea of you doing a Utube channel? I'd watch that for sure. A unique way of avoiding all that typing of batreps for the forum, hey.

Posted a photo and a request for help on my project page, however, had to tag it to my last post so I don't think it came up in the replies. Have started work on the Space Wolve's Rhino fleet and cannot avoid the Nuln oil becoming blotchy on large flat surfaces. Any ideas?... Pointy ears forever!!

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #1573 on: November 11, 2017, 02:47:37 PM »
@Ynneadwraith- Haha thanks man! You'll probably have a long wait though. But never say never... lol

@Saim-Dann- Hey bud. I replied to your question in your thread. Let me know if I understood the troubles properly. Also yes... I can paint those Triumvirates in my sleep... any of them! I'm painting all 3 Gathering Storm Triumvirates + Magnus + Mortarion right now! lol

@Everybody- Hey guys back again with another rapid fire update. So I finally finished a new unit for my Shadowstrike Coterie. This time one of my favorites... reborn... and back in black. Swooping Hawks... now retitled my Night Hawks. For those who followed my bat-reps you guys know how deadly these guys were. No one ever saw them coming either... just all stars the entire edition. I was gutted when I saw their index entry... but rocking assault 4 lasblasters... these guys are back. Their deepstrike ability, range and rate of fire are a SUPER hot commodity in 8th edition and I'm so thrilled to have them back in the army (see a few posts back to see the list). Couple this with Fire+Fade and Alaitoc rules... these guys are one of the great sleepers in the Codex IMO.

IMG_7285 by Eldar Cavalier, on Flickr

IMG_7305 by Eldar Cavalier, on Flickr

IMG_7303 by Eldar Cavalier, on Flickr

IMG_7300 by Eldar Cavalier, on Flickr

I'm so enthused about these guys I'm contemplating getting more. I have 10 lasblasters on standby should they prove as useful as I'm anticipating. Anyway they'll be getting some action next week. Can't wait to see how they do. Anyway thats it for now guys stay tuned and talk soon.

Offline Saim-Dann

« Reply #1574 on: November 11, 2017, 06:44:58 PM »
Oh, my!
They look magic, Cavalier. Even the basing. Swooping Hawks have been worth the points so far in the limited games I've played. Keeping them amongst the clouds until the last couple of turns to take out the enemy unit sitting on the objective and hold it themselves... Be well! 

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #1575 on: November 11, 2017, 08:41:28 PM »
Yellow eyes from the shadows :) very nice effect on that colour scheme

Offline Dread

• Warlock
  • Voidraven, the stone skipping across the universe.
  • Armies: Eldar, DE, Harlis, Necrons,  sisters, Death guard
« Reply #1576 on: November 12, 2017, 12:59:28 AM »
Oh, now you have a whole Lotta cool wings laying around. Can't wait to see what delicious conversions you come up with for them.

I just can't quit staring at the beautiful black goodness. So freaking strong. *grumble* now I have to find some time for minis. Amazing!
"Burning thru the universe in search of peace only brings more war. Peace is an illusion, war is reality, that is the way of things"

Farseer Gol'Istria of    the Morea Nebula craftword

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #1577 on: November 13, 2017, 07:19:06 AM »
@Saim-Dann- Thanks bud. Yeah I've got high hopes for these guys. I'm anticipating dropping them down with a 20 man Guardian unit to wipe out any screening units, opening the way for Wraithguard etc. Glad you like them my man. Thanks!

@Magenb- You nailed it bud. The yellow eyes are my favorite feature. Thanks so much Mage.

@Dread- Thanks so much man. I'm a big fan of this scheme... I was totally inspired by the original Falcon Gravtank art... so been trying to replicate that super dark black. As for the bits, I'm totally out of wings actually. But I do have a mess of lasblasters left over from my Warp Spider conversions. Anyway thanks so much man glad you like them.

Offline Orange

« Reply #1578 on: November 13, 2017, 09:19:27 PM »
Absolutely loving the black there Cav. Such a hard colour to paint well and you’ve nailed it.

Offline Ynneadwraith

• Corsair
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #1579 on: November 14, 2017, 10:24:15 AM »
Loving the Night Hawks dude :) absolutely lovely edge highlighting. Really crisp and even. Colour me extra impressed!