News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Got the ork bug  (Read 4061 times)

Offline SKEETERGOD

• Infinity Circuit | Boss Orkountant | I used Flash Gitz and didn't lose! | KoN Warlord
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • The best upgrade for an ork, is more orks!
  • Armies: Hmmmm.... Orks?
Re: Got the ork bug
« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2012, 10:20:24 AM »
That looks like a most excellent speed freak list, Very krumpy and not as many kill points as other builds. The only thing I see missing are rockit buggies and/or green baron.

I realize you may not see the value of the rockit buggy yet, but they are great anti armor units and twin link rockits hit most of the time shooting down those pesky raiders and blowing up rhinos they are just such good stuff I want to go out and do a happy dance just thinking about them.  8)

Give your list a run through of a game or three, then if you want to change a little, drop the foot nobs, their BW, and warboss, put the warboss on a bike, and have four or five nobs on bikes, add in a squadron or two of rockit buggies. Just something to keep in mind for later games.

Go forth and krump, make sure you post pictures so we can see the glory of the speed freaks in action  ;D
"It needs but one foe to breed a war. And even those who have not swords can still die upon them" (Lady Eowyn)
     We orks are not about being the hero; We orks are about being the mob.

Quote from: angel of death 007
Skeetergod: (adj) A crazy fascination for all things combustible mixed with an unhealty lust for red paint. see also Speed Freak

Offline Koval, Master Verispex

• 40kOnline's Care Bear of Tanks | The Velvet Glove of Fated Tenderness and Ambition
  • Ancient
  • Well, that was unexpected...
  • Armies: Imperial Guard (Indelvian 190th Mechanised)
« Reply #21 on: May 26, 2012, 04:24:46 PM »
put the warboss on a bike
Just a quick note, Skeet, since Valar's building a themed list based around my boss pole entry from last year: running Marbak as a biker-boss doesn't sound right, as he needs a transport as a mobile pulpit from which to be his belligerent religious self.

Apart from that, I got nothing, apart from the inevitable and self-evident desire to play against this list rather than dem sissy Eldars.

Offline Shas'Oink

• Sky Ray Pimp Daddy | Infinity Circuit | Ban me, I dare you! | The Fallen didn't fall, they were pushed. | Winner of the 2008 40K Online Longest Title Competition, awarded again with oak leaves, five years and running | Now with O:nkling! | Axe
  • Ancient
  • 87% sure I'm straight
    • oinks overambitious terrain project(s)
« Reply #22 on: June 4, 2012, 12:45:31 PM »
I've heard mixed stuff about burna boyz. A friend of mine just can't get them to work right and toys between having them in his list and not!

With that said though - they might be a spot to drop in favour of some ranged firepower? as per our recent conversation, you'll be getting a handful of death koptas that could be kept as such, or converted into rokkit buggies (I've seen some great conversions from koptas to buggies!)

Of course, another point to consider is that the massive Nob squad is... well... massive!!

don't listen to anyof my tactical advice though - it's mostly aimed at making your list easier for me to beat... but I will enjoy total air superiority... muahaha...

Offline adamscurr

• Mega Armored Biker Boss
  • Armies: Evil Sunz, Crimson Fists
« Reply #23 on: June 4, 2012, 12:50:08 PM »
Burna boyz are like most things orky....  THey are either hit or miss...  If you can line up a shot and have them unload on something squishy, they will inevitably destroy just about anything in the game...  However, the stars have to align (or your opponent doesn't realize what is about to happen) for them to get such a shot!

Adam

Cause We's Da Orks, and You's Not!!!

Offline angel of death 007

• Dreadbash Warboss | KoN Veteran
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #24 on: June 4, 2012, 02:46:09 PM »
Going to agree, having to spend a heavy spot just to get them a transport so they can do their job is a bit excessive IMHO.   

Maybe in our next dex they will be able to take a trukk.   That would be efficient, if them and tank bustas could take trukks.    Until then I can't open up my heavy FOC's enough for them when they aren't even a scoring unit.

A lot of points,  2 FOC's just to field them, and to top it off they are not scoring and can be shut down pretty easily.   Not to mention they have the durability of an ork.

Offline -V-

• Infinity Circuit | O:nk's my painting bitch | Ork Yoof
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Fear the Shuriken
« Reply #25 on: June 4, 2012, 03:29:09 PM »
I have been debatating the burna boyz slot as of late and replacing them with some anti armour options like tank bustas or rokkit buggies (yes I can hear Skeeter doing the happy dance as he reads this) or the new flyers (just because those new models are sweeeet and to deny Oink the satisfaction of running flyers against my army with impunity :)

As far as an update on this goes, I have 6 of 12 ard boyz painted and 24 boyz built ready for painting up which will give me 3 of the 4 troops choices and the last 12 sitting in the box waiting to go.
!
Big Mek is finished and im very happy with him, looking suitably goffy!  Hope to get some pics going soon

Offline adamscurr

« Reply #26 on: June 4, 2012, 04:09:08 PM »
Personally, I look at Burna boyz like a luxory...  If I have all my bases covered (boyz before toyz, but once you have a lot of boyz, buy some toyz!), I sometimes add burnas for a little flavor...  They excel at being really, really killy if you can get a shot off with them...  I actually once had Thunder Wolf Calvary running from them in a tourney.  I lit up one unit (after it just massacred my 10 man nob unit BTW), killing them to the man, er wolf...  Anyhow, the second unit of TWC decided they didn't want to tangle with the burna boyz and politely withdrew away from them into a corner (they'd have been roasted too, but the game ended!)

Adam

Offline SKEETERGOD

• Infinity Circuit | Boss Orkountant | I used Flash Gitz and didn't lose! | KoN Warlord
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #27 on: June 7, 2012, 09:43:45 AM »
Make sure you check out The Burna Boy Tactica

I am often torn lately between tank bustas and the burna boys (same big mek and BW) as both squads run about the same points (the way I run them the tank bustas are 10 points more because of the nob) but I would have to say the burna boys are still my favorite elite unit.

So once you have the boys, go for the burnas, they are such a hoot to play.
"It needs but one foe to breed a war. And even those who have not swords can still die upon them" (Lady Eowyn)

Skeetergod: (adj) A crazy fascination for all things combustible mixed with an unhealty lust for red paint. see also Speed Freak

Offline -V-

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Fear the Shuriken
« Reply #28 on: June 7, 2012, 01:50:16 PM »
So right now, im staring at the possiblity of being the proud (if daunted at the prospect) owner of 150 Ork boyz... This green itch has evolved into a pandemic of Green for me.... Im just wondering how the heck am I ever going to get all this painted?!?!

This got me thinking how have  you other warbosses gone about painting up your hordes, what hints, tips, have you got for me on how to stay sane with painting so many models, how to get through them at a decent pace whilst keeping a standard that im happy with.  What are your experiences?

I think I am going to have to break this into stages where I paint x amount of Boyz and then 'treat' myself with something different like a trukk, dread, Dakkajet, character etc etc to break up the monotony before returning to the Boyz.

Offline Koval, Master Verispex

• 40kOnline's Care Bear of Tanks | The Velvet Glove of Fated Tenderness and Ambition
  • Ancient
  • Well, that was unexpected...
  • Armies: Imperial Guard (Indelvian 190th Mechanised)
« Reply #29 on: June 7, 2012, 02:03:19 PM »
Spray guns? If nothing else it'll get the green done nice and quickly, and I guess black can go over it pretty easily for when you want to do the other bits.

Offline Shas'Oink

• Sky Ray Pimp Daddy | Infinity Circuit | Ban me, I dare you! | The Fallen didn't fall, they were pushed. | Winner of the 2008 40K Online Longest Title Competition, awarded again with oak leaves, five years and running | Now with O:nkling! | Axe
  • Ancient
  • 87% sure I'm straight
    • oinks overambitious terrain project(s)
« Reply #30 on: June 7, 2012, 02:09:51 PM »
@Valar...

There appears to be only one way to get rid of the ork itch... and that is to sell all the orks you own to Valar! I'm having to make sure that everything goes at once though...

It is a true horde now - and whilst cutting corners is all good and well, you don't want to diminish your painting quality as the joy you are getting from painting those BB minis is what is giving you this itch in the first place!

Spraying the base colour over might be a good way to save some time though...

Offline -V-

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Fear the Shuriken
« Reply #31 on: June 7, 2012, 02:15:58 PM »
Spray guns? If nothing else it'll get the green done nice and quickly, and I guess black can go over it pretty easily for when you want to do the other bits.

Airbrushes for vehicles and large panels obviously as not only does this speed up the process but it also lends to a more realistic, weathered beaten appearance.

Not sure that I would be as happy doing this on skin because after having to go back after the spray and re-base all the details and then paint them over the top of the green wouldnt necesarily speed things up for me.... but as things go i think by keeping the Boyz as goffs and doing their clothes dark, black greys etc may still look good en masse without taking up too much time on clothing parts.

@Valar...

There appears to be only one way to get rid of the ork itch... and that is to sell all the orks you own to Valar! I'm having to make sure that everything goes at once though...

It is a true horde now - and whilst cutting corners is all good and well, you don't want to diminish your painting quality as the joy you are getting from painting those BB minis is what is giving you this itch in the first place!

Spraying the base colour over might be a good way to save some time though...

You are an evil man making me part soo easily with my cash to feed the addiction.... the Green itch grows beyond all control and better judgement and you are not helping!!  >:(  ;)

Offline SKEETERGOD

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #32 on: June 8, 2012, 09:31:05 AM »
Here is an ork tactica on painting lots of boys by Angel of Death 007 HERE

I too had the hoard itch, mainly from being challenged by a fellow gamer, and so I had to paint up 120+ ork boys. I only got them to gamer standard (skin, clothes, guns) and their bases aren't finished and no details have been done, just the bulk painting.

I have been painting them one unit of 30 boys at a time, in assembly line style. First green skin, then a color for shirts, then a color for trousers, then a color for boots, then bolt gun for weapons. Then I did the same for the next four units. After a game or two I will finish details of a unit like straps, pouches, teef, eyes, etc. to show that they are veteran units. Then I do the bases adding stuff to show part of the story, like SM heads, nid parts, etc. etc. etc.

However, soon I will be assembling and painting jets, so that will be a serious break from boys. That is my favorite part of the ork addiction is the building and painting of vehicles.

Then once I am finally done with the green tide of boys I should have more than enough boys painted that I could run seventeen more truck loads of boys, so that means lots more trucks to build and paint.:D Giving me the option to either field the green tide or a speed freak swarm (my favorite  8) ).

Don't worry about the addiction/itch, it is good to have, as I am quickly on my way to 14000 points of orks. 99% of them painted to gamer standard or better. I hope to see you in the mighty waagh club too, after all, how many ork players do you know that can play a giant point apoc battle and have no allies  ;D

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #33 on: June 8, 2012, 03:52:09 PM »
Skeet beat me to it.   But I did an article awhile back, when i was in the same boat as you.    Basically staying organized and setting goals.   I then started doing 1-2 FOC's a month.   If i need a break, I would just do a single model and a small squad.   Like when I did my big mek and my lootas.    Other times it was all out 30 boyz in a month.   Last month I finished off 20 boyz and 3 rokkit buggies which were in different phases of painting.   

Luckily most of my currently built stuff is painted but I still have several projects to paint.   

Offline Ginger farseer

• Ork Yoof
  • Armies: Space wolves, Eldar, Orks
« Reply #34 on: June 8, 2012, 04:32:59 PM »
been through it once before, but am repainting my boyz (they were to a poor standard, as I painted them at age twelve) I am doing 30 boyz a month as my painting challenges (for my orks) but if I can, I will add in some exotic units, such as lootas. The most importent thing, dont let yourself get bored, because if you do it becomes a chore, and this hobby way of life is fun, especially orks! if that means taking a break and painting nothing for a month, then do it.
Be nice to nerds, you'll probably be working for them.

What if by 'fly you fools'  Gandalf was actually telling the fellowship to call the eagles and fly to Mordor?

"Thunder rolled... It rolled a six"

+++Melon melon melon+++
+++out of cheese error redo from start+++
+++Divide by cucumber error. Please reinstall universe and reboot+++

Offline adamscurr

« Reply #35 on: June 8, 2012, 06:01:05 PM »
When I was painting my boyz, I was young to orks and really excited...  I plowed through about 60 of them, then I was good for a while...  Over time, I've added some extra to the lot, but I kncked that large heap of them out early...  Then I had more time to paint other stuff...

One of the best things about painting heaps of boyz is that you really get good at painting orks...  it's really good practice and the rest fo your army will better for having done it!

Adam

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #36 on: June 9, 2012, 12:18:12 AM »
One of the best things about painting heaps of boyz is that you really get good at painting orks...  it's really good practice and the rest fo your army will better for having done it!

Not to mention you get very used to the models themselves and develope a painting technique.  This makes painting them a lot quicker.    In the time it took me to originally do 10 boyz I now can paint up 30 of them at the same standard (if not better).