News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Eighth Edition News  (Read 71099 times)

Offline Katamari Damacy

• Aspect Warrior
  • Armies: Eldar Empire, Dwarfs
Re: Eighth Edition News
« Reply #360 on: May 22, 2017, 03:08:22 AM »
I guess vehicle acces points won't be a thing anymore and we'll be able to disembark through the front of our Skimmers? Also, I'm not that impressed by "assaulting after disembark", because of what other's said. Still better than the current rules though.
The word 'politics' is derived from the word 'poly', meaning 'many', and the word 'ticks', meaning 'blood sucking parasites'.

Offline Cavalier

• One Archon to Rules Test Them All | High Corsair Prince of Painting | Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Angels, World Eaters
« Reply #361 on: May 22, 2017, 07:06:29 AM »
@Magneb- I don't think it should be too much of a problem. The Dragons attack run is pretty obvious as things stand now. I'm usually able to make that T2 tank/knight/vehicle kill pretty easy, turbo-boosting T1 disembarking T2. With battle-focus remaining in play I wouldnt worry too much about.

Also the 2 turn wait was how it worked in 5th edition and while not as nice as using a DE Raider, its still a HUGE improvement over the 3 turn setup where your troops have to get out and try weather a round of shooting, like it was in 6th and 7th. From an Eldar perspective, with Banshees being one of the fastest units in the game (or so they say), I think its gonna be a great tool in the arsenal.

With other armies like Blood Angels, Wolves etc. where you are probably gonna spam assault units, if you can establish board control, you'll have a great chance at cornering a good chunk your opponents army and making that turn 2 assault
Check out my army! Eldar Corsair Army

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

Offline Grand Master Lomandalis

• Grand Master of the Deathwing | Oh the lolmanity! | 40kOnline's Care Bear of LOL!
  • Global Moderator
  • We were murderers first, last, and always!
  • Armies: Dark Angels, Custodes, Knights, Night Lords
« Reply #362 on: May 22, 2017, 07:50:07 AM »
I guess vehicle acces points won't be a thing anymore and we'll be able to disembark through the front of our Skimmers?
I don't see that going.  Losing armour values doesn't indicate that they are removing access hatches.
If there is anything that recent politics has taught us, it is that quotes taken out of context can mean what ever you want them to.
Well I always liked the globals...
I knew I had fans!!!

"Dark Angels are Traitors" is the 40k equivalent of Flat Earthers.  You can provide all of the proof you want that says otherwise, but people just can't let it go...

Offline Wyddr

• Author Eminence: Hereticus Liber Daemonica | Fio'shas Shi
  • Lazerous Penguin
    • My blog about SF/F stuff
  • Armies: Daemons, Imperial Fists, Tau, Ksons, Vostroyans
« Reply #363 on: May 22, 2017, 09:03:15 AM »
However, with the removal of AV, there's no good reason not to pivot the vehicle any way you please. So, de facto, you can disembark from anywhere.

Come to think of it, will fire arcs still be a thing? They keep saying vehicles behave like every other model, so maybe they're gone.

Offline Grand Master Lomandalis

• Grand Master of the Deathwing | Oh the lolmanity! | 40kOnline's Care Bear of LOL!
  • Global Moderator
  • We were murderers first, last, and always!
  • Armies: Dark Angels, Custodes, Knights, Night Lords
« Reply #364 on: May 22, 2017, 10:39:47 AM »
Come to think of it, will fire arcs still be a thing? They keep saying vehicles behave like every other model, so maybe they're gone.
I can see them keeping fire arcs for vehicles to try and maintain some semblance of thematics.  If they keep hatches and fire arcs, then there is still a strategic element in that you have to turn your vehicle to unload your units, which may prevent you from firing certain weapons.
If there is anything that recent politics has taught us, it is that quotes taken out of context can mean what ever you want them to.
Well I always liked the globals...
I knew I had fans!!!

"Dark Angels are Traitors" is the 40k equivalent of Flat Earthers.  You can provide all of the proof you want that says otherwise, but people just can't let it go...

Offline Wyddr

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #365 on: May 22, 2017, 11:28:38 AM »
Yeah, as I was writing the first thing (about how there's nothing stopping you from pointing your vulnerable backside at the target), it occurred to me that the only problem *might* be fire arcs.

But then they might just have ditched those, too. That would be super weird (I hope they keep them in), but I can see them doing it just to get rid of that one issue.

Offline Fenris

• Aspect Warrior
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Eldar, Aeldari
« Reply #366 on: May 22, 2017, 04:36:50 PM »
I'd be happy if firearcs goes away, having to debate wether my underslung weapons can actually draw a LoS through the vehicles own hull, just because I did not convert my models to be more obvious about that, or arguments over will that immobilized war walker be able to shoot my tank nr 2, because I "accidentally" nudged the war walker model to not be within an 22.5 degree angle anymore.

I've had TO's forcing a 4+ on these, luckily I won the roll, but still very annoying.

Any rules that prevent these kind of rulebenders will be a blessing.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2017, 04:38:37 PM by Fenris »
Ego in propria persona, non compos mentis.

Offline Irisado

• A Light in The Grim-Darkness ~ Guns Don't Kill People, Copyright Stats Do | Farseer | Reporting Live! from the Crime Scene | Somewhat behind the times
  • Administrator
  • Soñando debajo del arco iris
  • Armies: Administrators must not play 40K
« Reply #367 on: May 23, 2017, 04:41:35 AM »
The release date has been announced and it's going to be 17th June.  It also appears as though there will be hard copies of the rulebook and a boxed set released on that day.  The boxed set, called Dark Imperium, predictably includes Marines, but has Deathguard as the opposing faction, which makes for a refreshing change.
You haunt my in-box like an ex-girl friend could only dream of.

The Forum Rules - Please Read and Remember Them.

Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Offline Looshkin

• Aspect Warrior
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Once held an Utter Fear of Tiny Diamonds
  • Armies: I 'play' Eldar. Or at least horde unpainted models
« Reply #368 on: May 23, 2017, 09:01:48 AM »
The release date has been announced and it's going to be 17th June.  It also appears as though there will be hard copies of the rulebook and a boxed set released on that day.  The boxed set, called Dark Imperium, predictably includes Marines, but has Deathguard as the opposing faction, which makes for a refreshing change.

All the info you need here:

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2017/05/23/warhammer-40000-launch-date-announced-may22gw-homepage-post-1/

In short, all the Marines are Primaris Marines. Facing off against Death Guard (Also all new sculpts).

Main boxset includes the Hardback Rulebook. Rulebook is available separately. If you'd prefer, the basic rules (Not including advanced rules, background and scenarios) are available to download for free.

There are a bunch of extra bits and pieces on sale too, such as the combat gauge seen in AoS. Command Dice, Wound Trackers (More dice) and then some cool little objective markers.

Most importantly, the books allowing you to play any current army are also being released in the form of Index books (Softback). This allows everyone to play their current armies (Although I doubt it includes FW entries) from Day 1. That's huge as far as I'm concerned.

I'm getting genuinely excited about this release! Anybody else?
WD127 - Started a Love Affair my Wallet Just Can't Cope With...

Offline Cavalier

• One Archon to Rules Test Them All | High Corsair Prince of Painting | Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Angels, World Eaters
« Reply #369 on: May 23, 2017, 09:50:38 AM »
I am beyond stoked. Everything I've seen thus far, is exactly what I wanted in terms of rules. All the free rules etc. was beyond all my expectations.

I'm also pumped about the accessories available. I love all the 40k themed dice, wound markers etc. Also those objectives are freaking phenomenal! Perfect for the terrain I've collected. I really cannot wait for all this stuff.

The various reveals on transports, increased durability of vehicles and standard MC's, the reveals on Tyranids and the speed of the game are all the big things I wanted. More for my opponents than myself, because being familiar with their collections it seems like a huge buff which I'm really excited about. I want to be challenged facing classic armies... and that seems to be a priority for GW this time around... making classic builds, classic units better than ever.

So yeah I'm beyond pumped. I know I'm usually really optimistic about new releases, but I think this is the most excited I've been since all the anticipation I felt about the release of the 6th edition Eldar Codex.
Check out my army! Eldar Corsair Army

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

Offline Wyddr

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #370 on: May 23, 2017, 09:57:00 AM »
This *does* look awesome. Those models in the boxed set (especially the Death Guard) look pretty.

After squinting at which armies are in which Index, seems like I need to buy 4 out of 5 of them to get the rules for all my current armies.  :-\

I'll probably end up getting the 5th, too, given that I like Necrons and Dark Eldar and play against Eldar fairly often.

So, yeah, come mid June, I'm going to be out a lot of money.

Offline The GrimSqueaker

• The Badger on the Road | Staff Infection Officer | Debased Vassal Slayer | Title Barfly | XOXOXO Gossip Girl | Bent Over
  • Global Moderator
  • From the Fourth Necromantic House
« Reply #371 on: May 23, 2017, 12:00:30 PM »
« Last Edit: May 23, 2017, 12:03:05 PM by The GrimSqueaker »
Quote from: @TracyAuGoGO
Tact is for people who are too slow witted to be sarcastic.
Drink
Knights Tippler
Quote from: Surviving the World
If you can't make fun of something, it's probably not worth taking seriously.

You have to love the smell of science in the morning. It smells of learning.... or perhaps a gas leak.

Offline Irisado

• A Light in The Grim-Darkness ~ Guns Don't Kill People, Copyright Stats Do | Farseer | Reporting Live! from the Crime Scene | Somewhat behind the times
  • Administrator
« Reply #372 on: May 23, 2017, 12:18:54 PM »
I wonder whether datasheets will be available as free downloads along with the basic rules.  That is not made clear by the announcement today.

Regarding the Death Guard, I see that the Plague Zombies of old have returned, just with a different name.

Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Offline The GrimSqueaker

• The Badger on the Road | Staff Infection Officer | Debased Vassal Slayer | Title Barfly | XOXOXO Gossip Girl | Bent Over
  • Global Moderator
  • From the Fourth Necromantic House
« Reply #373 on: May 23, 2017, 12:27:38 PM »
I wonder whether datasheets will be available as free downloads along with the basic rules.  That is not made clear by the announcement today.

I'm now wondering about that as well. Previously I'd presumed they would be based on prior statements. We'll see though. Still living in the World of Limited Information.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2017, 12:29:56 PM by The GrimSqueaker »
Quote from: @TracyAuGoGO
Tact is for people who are too slow witted to be sarcastic.
Drink
Knights Tippler
Quote from: Surviving the World
If you can't make fun of something, it's probably not worth taking seriously.

You have to love the smell of science in the morning. It smells of learning.... or perhaps a gas leak.

Offline Wyddr

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #374 on: May 23, 2017, 01:28:54 PM »
Regarding the Death Guard, I see that the Plague Zombies of old have returned, just with a different name.

Meh. Plague Zombies have been around for a while now. They've just got models now (and pretty good ones, as it happens).

Offline Partninja

• Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #375 on: May 23, 2017, 07:10:47 PM »
They said that we will have everything we need to start playing on day 1 for free. So the core rules and data sheets one could presume will be available for free. However, you will have to use the power level system. I suspect the point costs will be in the index books (as well as the data sheets).

Meh, looks like I'm going to be buying 4 books anyway (BRB, Eldar/Necrons, Marines (Blood Angels), and the Imperium (Scions+Assassins). Luckily, one less book than normal in my instance. 

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #376 on: May 23, 2017, 07:51:33 PM »
Ahh that's cute, they put the Nercon's in the same book as all the Eldar Factions :)

Offline Mr Draken

• Armies: Saim-Hann, White Scars, Space Wolves, Catachans.
« Reply #377 on: May 23, 2017, 08:04:59 PM »
Just to note. FW announced they will have marines and chaos books out on 8th release. The rest of their stuff will be out by the end of june.

Link Here: https://www.warhammer-community.com/2017/05/23/forge-world-and-the-new-warhammer-40000/
« Last Edit: May 23, 2017, 08:06:22 PM by Mr Draken »
Carpe Diem Baby...

Offline Fenris

• Aspect Warrior
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Eldar, Aeldari
« Reply #378 on: May 23, 2017, 11:54:58 PM »
So I will likely just buy the Xenos: 1 codex.

I still wonder if the matched play points cost will be in the 5 books or in the big one.
If matched play points are in the 5 books, I probably won't need to buy the 280 page one, as it contains mostly fluff and scenarios.

Sure fluff can be nice, especially with the time moving forward, but I won't need it on the release date.
As for the primarines and the nurgleguard I couldn't care less. GW is boring never giving the xenos a starter box. I mean they could pair up all armies in boxes if they wanted to.
Or even allow you to pick 2 armies with your starter box.

As for scenarios, in my meta no-one has played any of the scenarios as they are in the big book for the latest 3 edition anyway, especially not at tournaments.

Anyhow I will likely just grab the free 4 pages and printout points costs added onto the datasheets, when in for a game, then I'll use a pencil to keep track of things on the 1 use datasheet copies.

If codex or index books will restart the creep, I'll just ask people to play basic 8th ed, as I hope that will have a nice balance between armies.
Ego in propria persona, non compos mentis.

Offline Irisado

• Administrator
« Reply #379 on: May 24, 2017, 07:27:11 AM »
They said that we will have everything we need to start playing on day 1 for free. So the core rules and data sheets one could presume will be available for free. However, you will have to use the power level system. I suspect the point costs will be in the index books (as well as the data sheets).

I think that this sounds about right.  It would mirror how they've organised Age of Sigmar, in that the points system ended up being in the General's handbook.  I'd rather that they used the points system with the free rules as well, but I'm expecting to be disappointed in this regard.

GW is boring never giving the xenos a starter box.

The third edition starter boxed set included Dark Eldar as one of the armies.