News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Facing Dark Angels  (Read 2046 times)

Offline Brash

• Titan Games
  • Armies: Chaos Space Marines
Facing Dark Angels
« on: August 22, 2016, 08:14:21 PM »
So one of my best friends plays Dark Angels and I have been pretty much just  been playing him lately and even though I won the last two games I feel as though he has a huge advantage. The last game I stole the initiative and got really lucky on my first turn shooting, and he also used a new flyer which has all of the missile launchers and which had his unit of knights inside. I shot at it my predator which only had 2 lascannons left and managed to blow to up and he failed 4 of his saves.
I was just curious as to how other people have been approaching dark angels. I have a knight titan which has been helping a lot as well as 3 forgefiends. He has a huge forge of terminators, and ravenwing that he switches up every game so I am never quite sure what I will be facing. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers 
Ave Dominus Nox

Offline Brash

• Titan Games
Re: Facing Dark Angels
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2016, 11:56:22 AM »
Well I played him and suffered a horrible loss due to a mass of drop pod dreads then deep striked deathwing. Any advice would be greatly appreciated on how to deal with these guys.
Ave Dominus Nox

Offline Lord of Winter and War

• The Cause of Diabetes -Captain- Necrontyr Immortal - KoN Veteran - Master of All Diplomacy | Wi-Fi Nomad |
  • Ancient
  • Armies: Harlequins, Spiderfang, Bonereapers, Space Wolves
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2016, 12:24:21 PM »
One thing you can do, if your opponent is a fan of deep strike, is to keep things in reserve. Then, his stuff comes in shoots a couple of your units, then your reserves can pounce on him. Alternatively, get cheap units (like cultists), to bubble wrap your army.

If you bubble wrap, he has do deploy outside of your screening line. he wont be able to melta your tanks, and will be in a good spot to be pounced on by your other units.

Terminators are slow, so can either be avoided, or dealt with by weight of fire. A bunch of Ap2 attacks can also help, but you need to put a really weight of fire on them so they fail their saves.

I'm not sure which flyer you're talking about, as the Dark Angels have no access to flyers with transport capacity.

What are your running? What is his list like?
Harlequin Army Blog

That's not blatant, this is blatant: I'm super happy that I'm playing Austria, the greatest nation in all of Diplomacy!

Azore of Austria

Offline Brash

• Titan Games
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2016, 02:49:23 PM »
Hey Killer hope everything is going well, I have been running a knight with 3 forgefiends, a predator, dp and chaos space marines in rhinos as well as a land raider.
The flyer I believe is the storm eagle from forge world.
The last list he used was 4 dreadnoughts in drop pods meant specifically to take out the knight with small units of ravenwing bikers and most of the force made of deathwing terminators. The dark angel knights with shields have 3+ invilnerable saves which have been a problem.
I have access to pretty much anything except for anything khorne. I am in the process of adding a unit of thousand sons, and thousand sons terminators as well.
Ave Dominus Nox

Offline Lord of Winter and War

• The Cause of Diabetes -Captain- Necrontyr Immortal - KoN Veteran - Master of All Diplomacy | Wi-Fi Nomad |
  • Ancient
  • Armies: Harlequins, Spiderfang, Bonereapers, Space Wolves
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2016, 04:26:59 PM »
What detachment are you using in which you have 5 heavy support?

If the knight keeps getting killed by deepstriking deadnoughts, then I'd keep it in reserve, or surround it by the Rhinos so he cannot get too close with the deep strikes.

Deathwing Knights can be an issue. You're best bet is to make him take tons of saves and hope he fails some. You can use the marines, or the rhnios (or anything really), to block the movement of the knights, as they are slow and hard to maneuver around things.

Also, which detachments is he using to build his army? Or, are both of you playing unbound? He doesn't seem to have any troops in his force.

Fliers are an issue, not too much you can really do about that.

Thousands sons won't really help against dreadnaughts, or Terminators (except, maybe as a tar pit). Deepstriking terminators could melta out his dreads or something.
Harlequin Army Blog

That's not blatant, this is blatant: I'm super happy that I'm playing Austria, the greatest nation in all of Diplomacy!

Azore of Austria

Offline Grand Master Lomandalis

• Grand Master of the Deathwing | Oh the lolmanity! | 40kOnline's Care Bear of LOL!
  • Global Moderator
  • We were murderers first, last, and always!
  • Armies: Dark Angels, Custodes, Knights, Night Lords
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2016, 05:09:38 PM »
Also, which detachments is he using to build his army? Or, are both of you playing unbound? He doesn't seem to have any troops in his force.
From the sounds of it, I would guess that it is primarily the Deathwing Strike Force which is nothing but HQs and Elite units.

There is another option you may want to look at to take out his Deathwing Knights.  From what I have heard, the new campaign book for chaos (Traitor's Hate, I think) apparently gives Chaos players access to the Angels of Death psychic powers.  If that is the case, then you may want to look at taking Librarius on a Daemon Prince and shoot for getting Null Zone.  It greatly reduces the invulnerable save, making them a much easier nut to crack.

Now, granted, I am basing this just on what I have heard as I don't have a reason to buy those campaign books.  But if it is true then it is something to keep in mind.
If there is anything that recent politics has taught us, it is that quotes taken out of context can mean what ever you want them to.
Well I always liked the globals...
I knew I had fans!!!

"Dark Angels are Traitors" is the 40k equivalent of Flat Earthers.  You can provide all of the proof you want that says otherwise, but people just can't let it go...

Offline Brash

• Titan Games
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2016, 03:03:46 AM »
Alright I will give that a go next time I play him, I will write down exactly what he takes next time and post my list as well. Hopefully the forces of chaos will prevail again!
Ave Dominus Nox