News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Are Necrons a good army to learn 40k?  (Read 3660 times)

Offline OwlManAtt

Are Necrons a good army to learn 40k?
« on: July 15, 2002, 01:27:25 PM »
Well..Actuly Keep Leraning. I play SM but Im starting to not like them as i find out more about them, and the Necrons are basicly like me, The enjoy mercyless killing, pain, suffering, death, and weapons of mass destruction (MY FAVORITE!) and there easy enough to paint. I already know how to game works, but im not to good and I like the WBB rule and the Moliath, and how can you not love C'Tan! I LOVE there terrian. What do you think?

Offline high-avatar

• It has come for you
Re:Are Necrons a good army to learn 40k?
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2002, 01:55:46 PM »
Necrons are really sweet and I like mercyless killing, pain, suffering, death, and weapons of mass destruction to maybe something to do with Necrons!!!
Everything that has a begining must have an end, I see the end I see the Darkness spreading I see Death.

Offline Arcas

• Aksho Tzeeneth Phaos
  • Ancient
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2002, 03:38:26 PM »
I'm not sure.

Pro:
-they are though, mistakes are not as fatal as they are for DE players
-they are slow, the player doesn't need to sneak through cover and precalculate two turns

Contra:
-they have special rules that may confuse newbies
-those rules have to be used properly in order to win

jwu

Offline OwlManAtt

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2002, 03:47:32 PM »
Im not exactly a newbie anymore..more like a novice..iv played in one torny (and lost every single battle at that) and there specil rules are soo good. Well, accept for that one Phase Out rule........But again, they look sooooooo cool! And there guns are huge and kill alot of stuff really fast.

Offline Flaming Wulfen

• Fire is our friend
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2002, 12:47:13 AM »
My friends just started playing Necrons and he reckons their sweet.  So when i had a look at his codex i said " man necrons kick ass, they got big guns, they can come back from the dead and their models are kewl.

Also they have some cons but who cares  i'd collect them but i'm a loyal space wolf.

And the point of this post is yes Necrons are a cool army to learn.

Offline Mystic511

• I *Love* EldarOnline! No, really, i do!
    • Personal Website
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2002, 03:27:10 PM »
I think necrons would be a good choice for someone who wanted a challenge.

Yes, they may assist the newbie with their "We'll be back" rules, and they may have very good armor saves all around, but there seems to be a great deal of finesse in order to play them properly.

I had thoughts about creating a necron army with as few models as possible.  A c'tan, 2 min warrior squads, with pariahs, wraiths, tomb spyders and heavy destoyers.  Heh, notice the small amount of "necrons" for the phase out rule?  the purpose for me would be to win without phasing out, which i think is a great challenge.  It's one of those you win big or lose big kind of deals.   ;)

Callidus

« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2002, 08:27:54 PM »
A Necron army takes a surprising amount of finesse, especially when you get into bigger games. Necron Warriors don't seem all that expensive, but once you start taking pariahs, wraiths, destroyers etc. your army starts to look really small against other armys.
*cough* Orks *cough*
So this means you have to conserve your small force, while moving up so engage the enemy, and keep your army together, so you can use the WBB rule and ressurection orb and stuff like that.
the only army, IMHO, that takes more finesse, is the Tau. Once you get Tau tactics down, you are unstoppable.

Offline SMiF

• ¬_¬ What are you going to do huh?
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2002, 10:14:36 PM »
I personally think that necrons are a very good race to play, especially since i'm a necron player myself :P But nonetheless, I've been playing a few games here and there and I've come to learn that the core of a good necron army is the troops!  It has to be the warriors!  I feel that the more you will be less likely to phase one for one, plus their WBB will definetly do good as front line!  Their gauss weapons are deadly and what's the most important is that together with the lord and veil, you can create mass destruction with just a few casualties!
SMiFSoNiaN

Callidus

« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2002, 11:23:20 PM »
Every army's core units are their troops. an army would be nothing without the footsloggers.

Offline SMiF

« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2002, 01:34:12 AM »
Yup.  Especially for necrons though because of their phase out rule.
SMiFSoNiaN

Callidus

« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2002, 01:35:53 AM »
Indeed.

Offline Fuegan

• Death to those who oppose us!
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2002, 06:50:12 AM »
i still think that space marines are the best arny for learning.  the necrons rules are a wee bit harder to understand for newbies ;)
over the white cliffs of Dover there is a lovely beach 300 meters below which can be reached in 3.2 seconds.

Ulthwe Strike force   wins:7    draws:0    loss:1

Wood Elves             wins:7    draws:1     loss:4

Chaos                     win:1     draws:0     loss:3

Please visit my site at www.craftworld.s5.c om

Offline Arcas

• Aksho Tzeeneth Phaos
  • Ancient
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2002, 02:11:31 PM »
I think smurfs have a little too much choices for newbies. They buy a lot of stuff that isn't really good for them. Concerning this Necrons aren't bad, maybe Tau (with some help which weapons/upgrade to model on the battlesuits).

jwu

Offline Rhysk

• Begin the Litanies of Hatred!!!
    • My squatter page on the net
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2002, 02:35:09 PM »
For a newbie I have to agree that the SM's are the best beginer army. The exception being what Astaroth mentioned. There is this one kid who plays space wolves at one of the stores I play at. That kid went and bought a Land Raider Crusader, and he puts like 5-8 Wolf Gaurd plus his commander in it. His HQ is like 750 points!!! (Some guy told him to do it, I advised him not to, but guess who he listened to) He can't seem to understand why he keeps losing. Maybe it's because there is almost no way in heck that a 750 point command squad can pay for themselves in a 2000 point battle.

That being said,  I am a little shaky about two things regarding necrons and newbies.

A.) Dependance on WBB. Right now the necrons are tuff as steel, but that's because all the rest of the players are still figuring out what to make of them. In 6 months they will be just like any other army. We will all have figured out how to deal with the new threat. My concern is that newbies will become depandent on that save roll, thinking much as the guy in my example that his troops are invincible. As we figure out how to get around WBB as many players already have the newbies are gonna get crushed hard.

B.) The necrons require alot of inter-squad support to work well. There is almost no stand alone unit in the Necron Army. Each unit requires the abilities of surrounding units to be effective. Tomb spiders suppport elite units providing a fallback on the WBB rule, the lord supports everyone within 6" with the Resurection Orb, the Monolith can teleport troops, The pariahs are HtH gods but won't take fire very well and cannot WBB. This combined with the relativley short range on Necron weapons makes for a complex force. The success or failure of Necrons lies in micro-manging the details on the Battle field.

SM's units on the other hand can opperate relatively independantly. The No Fear rule means they don't need another unit nearby, and the power armour gives them a decent survivability. Special chapter rules make individual units even more independant. I.E. Long Fang split fire, Dark Angel Intractable and Stubborn (the rule that makes their devastator squads not fall back), BA Death Company, Black Templar vows, The list goes on and on.  
"Victurus te Saluto!" (He who is about to win salutes you)

Offline SMiF

« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2002, 04:36:08 PM »
I guess the thing I see is that with Necrons being a decent if not good army to play with is that it actually allows you to make a lot of mistakes and still managed to do sufficiently well.  You can screw up your tactics and get half your army mowed down, yet managed to save at lease 50% of the dead ones.  And although it might be hard to plan a good tactic that'll ensure the management of your troops, Heavy, Fast Attack, etc. in the beginning, but after a few trial games a newbie should have no problem learning it.
I agree that the learning curve for necrons would be a little hard to comprehend at first, especially with its special rules, but I believe trial and error by playing would benefit the necrons since again, you can make a lot of mistakes with necrons and still do fine.
SMiFSoNiaN

BloodThirster

« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2002, 05:09:18 PM »
I am playing Necrons and i will never regret it. You got the Night bringer, expensive, still really powerfull. Wraiths, close combat kickass! Immortals, really good anti-tank. Necron warriors, cheap and powerfull. And the lists goes on. If you now are going to play necrons, why don't i just give you a good necron armylist! i email it to you later! But you have to know one thing, there is a rule that kinda forces you to buy a LOT of Necron warriors. It's like this. If you loose 75% of you'r army. You loose. But think like this, if that rule wasn't in the Necron codex, the race would be very imbalanced. But still, the necrons is very very fun to play with and as i said, i don't regret  buying'em. so i don't think you will  do eather.  
« Last Edit: July 21, 2002, 05:16:43 PM by Thylandras »

Offline SMiF

« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2002, 01:18:20 AM »
Yeah, Necrons are a lot of fun to play...I've played a game where I've made a fatal mistake and my sqaud of warriors are surrounded by a sqaud of terminators, assault sqaud, and another sqaud of just troops, and that group of 13 and a lord w/ orb still managed to survive 2 rounds of attacks!  They're indeed a tough army to beat!
SMiFSoNiaN

Offline OwlManAtt

« Reply #17 on: August 2, 2002, 11:14:00 AM »
Your right, you can probbly make a fatal mistake and it wouldent be so bad because of the wbb rule. Also, can i have that armylist someone mentioned? OwlManAtt@netscape.net ty in advance! and thankx to evryone eles for the tips and tips and such

Niklas Kriig

« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2002, 05:02:29 PM »
play necrons. You will not change you'r mind afterwards.
Belive me. For 120 dollars. You'll get a big, impressive army.