News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Trying to wrap my head around a decent 1500 list.  (Read 5141 times)

Offline enlg

• I like editing stuff.
Re: Trying to wrap my head around a decent 1500 list.
« Reply #40 on: December 4, 2011, 08:22:44 PM »
^ Just out of curiosity could you attempt to recreate the two army lists that you faced? I'd like to know what units were being used against your army.

Offline bebe

• In Canada no one hears you scream
« Reply #41 on: December 4, 2011, 08:37:26 PM »
Blood Angels were a pretty typical DoA Dante list w/ a few sang priests, ASM, a Libby and a squad of sang guard too. and the SW had double LF, Hunters in rhinos, WG assigned to squads and rune priest. Both typical net lists if you get the drift. Jaws is nasty and very difficult to deal with when running necrons. We are now changing to 1850 lists which means I will adding in a C'Tan at 1850 and tweaking up my list a bit.  Now tell me how to deal with rune priests. I cannot ley my crypteks or lord anywhere near it. I'm forced to try and tie up his unit with scarabs. I would need to totally redo my list to deal with jaws effectively.
« Last Edit: December 4, 2011, 08:55:33 PM by bebe »
Big man, Pig man, Ha ha, charade you are

You well heeled big wheel, Ha ha, charade you are

Offline enlg

• I like editing stuff.
« Reply #42 on: December 5, 2011, 12:24:43 AM »
Gloom prisms seem good but you can also try and use long-ranged shooting, which isn't common in the necron codex, but could be obtained through paying what people claim is a premium.

The "premium" priced unit I am thinking of is the doomsday ark. It gives you heavy ordinance, which might be what you need to destroy entire squads of wolves (and their rune priests) from afar.

Offline prot

• Infinity Circuit | KoN Veteran
  • Prot ZA113
« Reply #43 on: December 5, 2011, 09:13:49 AM »
Blood Angels were a pretty typical DoA Dante list w/ a few sang priests, ASM, a Libby and a squad of sang guard too. and the SW had double LF, Hunters in rhinos, WG assigned to squads and rune priest. Both typical net lists if you get the drift. Jaws is nasty and very difficult to deal with when running necrons. We are now changing to 1850 lists which means I will adding in a C'Tan at 1850 and tweaking up my list a bit.  Now tell me how to deal with rune priests. I cannot ley my crypteks or lord anywhere near it. I'm forced to try and tie up his unit with scarabs. I would need to totally redo my list to deal with jaws effectively.

This is what I said was a BIG failing in the current codex. I was quite shocked to see the lack of psyker protection when the Grey Knights have so much nasty stuff.... the Wolves of course, and even BA. Let's not forget eldar...an old adversary of the Necrons.

Sometimes I wonder if they playtest in a bubble. The stuff we find out about a codex a mere week after it comes out is surprising.

In this case, as soon as I saw the codex my biggest fear was Jaws. It's pretty much an autokill. It will be as devastating to us as it is to Nids... WORSE, because at least they have Shadow in the Warp. What do we have? A Gloom Prism? A 3" ranged piece of wargear that ONLY protects you against "targeting" your guys with pysker powers.

This is part of the problem. I don't swallow this for one second but some people think Jaws can't be deflected by Gloom because it doesn't target. I think that's not true. You are most certainly effected by the power. Something like... 'Fortune' is obviously undefendable.

So at first every list I made had at least one Spyder which contained Gloom Prism. Now I see how useuless a piece of wargear it is, plus it handcuffs your Spyder to your HQ/characters. It's ugly. I still use it though, even though it's terrible.

It does make you wonder if the Necrons woke up about 20 million years too late?

For me, I have always loved the Ghost Ark. It is terrible to say this, but hide in your Arks/Command Barges. You can shoot out, but they can't hit you. It's brutal, I know, but it's all we've got.

It's scary to think that with 6th ed, we will see Chaos, and then Eldar re-vamped. Two potentially heavy psyker based armies.  :'(  It should be something to deal with those guys.lol

Offline bebe

« Reply #44 on: December 5, 2011, 11:09:43 PM »
Yep. After weeks of testing and despite really loving a few of my lists I'm going to be forced to mech up my entire list almost and play come and get me. My buddy borrowed (probably for awhile) some of my Necrons and proxied and revamped an 1850 list which is what we commonly play at - I have over 3000 points worth of Necrons and he bought a few arks and scythes to supplement them.

+++Doomsday is Coming+++

Overlord, Warscythe 180
Catacomb Command Barge

Royal Court 345
4 Crytptek, Lance
1 Cryptek, Lance, Solar Pulse
Ghost Ark

5 Warriors, Night Scythe 165
10 Warriors 130

10 Scarabs 150

Doomsday Ark 175
Doomsday Ark 175
3 Spyders, Array, Gloom, Beamer 200

++++1850++++

I'm probably going to borrow this list back from him for a few matches. He plays it flawlessly and has yet to lose - that's better than I have done - but he hasn't played as many games. Enough though to know that the list has raw power. It is spammy though and is not a demanding tactically as other Nec lists. It's come and get the doomsday arks or deal with death from above all game. It's not exciting it's just efficient and rune priests are no threat. So yes i know about doomsday arks - I just don't think the list all that much fun to play. So we do have weapons. But it's a small space we have painted ourselves into.

Offline prot

• Prot ZA113
« Reply #45 on: December 6, 2011, 08:49:56 AM »
I think aside from the Doomsday Arks, that is a VERY standard list.

Those Night Scythes just scare me though... I mean what tremendous punishment for a wrecked transport! How often has your friend has this happen to him?

I like it though. I'll be honest with you I'm trying to avoid making such a list. As you said, it is predictably played with a sort of 'auto-pilot' feel to it. No doubt it will be competitive though.

Offline bebe

« Reply #46 on: December 6, 2011, 01:21:12 PM »

I moght just steal Selek's list from Ytth since I have all the models and I love Deathmarks on the table. It's an easy list to scale from 1500 - 2000 and really does not need any transports since you sit way back and shoot all game. Dn't want a fire match with IG although I think it can handle GK. 

Offline prot

• Prot ZA113
« Reply #47 on: December 6, 2011, 02:49:04 PM »
Selek's list from Ytth

I'm not sure what this is, but what is the attraction with Deathmarks?

The reason I ask is I love the model. I think I made a thread on 'units I love but can't make work' and Deathmarks were on it.

I think they look cool, but since they aren't troops... and 24" snipers seem to somewhat overlap with what an Immortal squad with Gauss Blasters would do?

Offline bebe

« Reply #48 on: December 6, 2011, 03:00:55 PM »
This is similar to what Stelek is proposing ...

2 overlords. phaeron. 220
2 six deathmarks, tremorstave. 280
2 ten immortals, gauss, lance. 410
2 five warriors, pulse/lance. 240
2 doomsday arks. 350

five immortals. tesla, lance. 110
triarch stalker, gauss 165
5 warriors 65 (added to squad)

6 Deathmarks, Crucible/Tremorstave 150

Why deathmarks? The brilliant 2+ of course. They will take down terminators, MCs, etc. And with tremorstave they should be fine and help the rest of the list. It's the volume of fire backed by those doomsdays that should prevail. Again, you just sit back and shoot while being approached. It's a midrange list with excellent backup long range dakka. It will painful if you demech the opposition. 
« Last Edit: December 6, 2011, 05:37:08 PM by bebe »