News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: 1500 Footdar list (murgel) - Competition 1  (Read 822 times)

Offline murgel

• Armies: CWE, Harlequins, SW, DA, BA, Vanilla SM
1500 Footdar list (murgel) - Competition 1
« on: May 29, 2015, 05:06:19 PM »
I was in quite a bad place here. We do not play such small games and I really had to think about what to do.
So here I have a go.
This is a list for a medium dense terrain like a village or suburbs, something with good LOS breakers.

Combined Arms Detachment (Primary Detachment)1499 points
Farseer 100 (naked)
10x Guardian Defenders 140
+Warlock (naked)
Heavy Weapon Platform Scatter-Laser
10x Guardian Defenders 140
+Warlock (naked)
Heavy Weapon Platform Scatter-Laser
8x Storm Guardians 127 includes one FG, one Flamer
+Warlock (Spear)
8x Dire Avengers 104
8x Howling Banshees 124
incl. Howling Banshee Exarch w. Executioner
8x Howling Banshees 124
incl. Howling Banshee Exarch w. Executioner
6x Swooping Hawks 106
incl.Swooping Hawk Exarch(naked)
6x Warp Spiders 124
incl. Warp Spider Exarch(naked)
War Walker Squadron 120
 War Walker SC+SL
 War Walker SC+SL
Vaul's Wrath Support Battery 95 2x Shadow Weavers
4x Guardian Crew
Warlock (naked)

Tactically this army works more or less as a advancing core with strong flanks and CC units to wipe the board clean again.
The core is like this: GD-DA-GD in a wedge formation with the avengers in the lead the GD supporting with just the platforms. The Avatar provides his bubble and draws fire away from the other units. he might also be a bit of AT. The farseer lives between rank one and two for support maybe even a nice template.
The second rank contains the SG and the Banshees (B-SG-B). They move in the inner part of the first rank's wedge, ready to support or jump in to support the DA if the enemy comes closer. The SGs might be needed as a break for overwatch.
The artillery is just that.
Hawks (SH) and spiders  (WS) harass the enemy with the intention of luring him into the range of the main formation. Also they have to take the objectives which need the movement they can provide and act as AT if desperately needed. The WW squadron is purely a distraction and operates freely on opportunities.

Frankly I don't know if the strategy would work with such a small army but here goes nothing.
« Last Edit: June 1, 2015, 01:21:28 AM by murgel »
sure you have an opinion,
but my swordplay is better than your´s

Take my advice, I never use it.

Offline Wyldhunt

Re: 1500 Footdar list (murgel) - Competition 1
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2015, 05:56:57 PM »
I like it. It seems like you should have enough strength six to take down most transports and bully problem units (deathstars) at a distance.  The avatar's buffs mixed with your baiting strategy nullifies a lot of the banshees' normal problems. 

Considering your avengers are going to be at the front of your formation, they probably wont' be surviving to hold objectives. With this in mind, why not toss them and your hawks & spiders into an aspect host together to provide them with stronger shooting?  Alternatively, you could throw the banshees and either the avengers or the hawks into an aspect host and give them +1 WS.  This makes the avengers better at tarpitting certain enemies that charge them (anything with WS 5). Which is handy when you're in a fearless bubble.  Giving the hawks +1 WS is very useful when fighting most walkers with your haywire grenades.  The main benefit, of course, is letting Banshees hit most targets on 3s in melee. 

I'm afraid I don't care for your storm guardians.  The "flexible" squad doesn't work terribly well outside of Zone Mortalis, I find.  You'll either be shooting at vehicles and wishing you had a pair of fusion guns or else you'll be getting assaulted or shooting swarms and wishing you had a pair of flamers.  More defenders or avengers would make for a more solid marching column, I think. 

You might also consider finding points to give your hawks an exarch with a sunrifle.  His exarch ability is handy for harassing your opponent's backfield, and his sunrifle can cripple the shooting power of things like devastators or artillery. 

My biggest concern if I were playing your list would be your lack of reach.  You have a solid amount of strength 6 shooting, but not enough to make many sit-and-shoot armies concerned.  Imperial guard and Tau will both be able to pick you apart at a distance while you're unable to do significant damage in return against their high toughness riptides and high AV tanks.  The Avatar's bubble means that you can take a pretty big beating, but I worry you might lose your teeth trying to bring your main punch to bare. 

I see this list working great against close combat armies like orks, 'nids, and daemons, and struggling slightly against mech and shooty armies. 

I like it though!  It looks fun to face and different from the norm.

Offline murgel

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2015, 08:24:41 AM »
Thanks for the kind words.
I like the idea of using an Aspect host, frankly I reduced a trusted and tested list to the 1500 value and didn't think about the new options.

As mentioned this list is for close quarters like denser forests and village style boards. Which are the most common around me. The times when you can utilize a range above 20" is scarce here.
As we play campaigns mostly, the strategic part is the struggle to have the actual fight in terrain to your advantage.

Offline DCannon ForLife

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2015, 01:57:32 PM »
I second the idea of creating an Aspect Host.

While I admire your use of not one, but TWO units of Banshees, I can't help but feel that 5 man units of Swooping Hawks and Spiders are just too small. Perhaps consider dropping one unit of Banshees in order to beef up the hawks and spiders?

Offline murgel

« Reply #4 on: June 1, 2015, 01:19:35 AM »
Agreed.
My program makes it like that in the HTML output. It means 5 regulars + 1Exarch for 6 models

I'll correct this.

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #5 on: June 1, 2015, 01:53:56 AM »
I like the list, I was thinking of something similar. The Avatar could really turn your Banshee's into killing machines.

Vaul's Wrath Support Battery 95 2x Shadow Weavers -> these can not "walk" so not sure if they count in the comp. List Building Competition: 1.5k Footdar

Offline Grizzlykin

• Run little eldar, run! ... And KILL THEM ALL !
  • Armies: Eldars, Tau, Necrons
« Reply #6 on: June 1, 2015, 02:48:49 AM »
If you read down the main subject it is said that we can use vaul's wrath support battery as the guardian crew is on foot.
The Grizzly's Arvandor Craftworld!

Quote from: Cavalier
ALL HAIL THE TORNADO! The legend is REBORN.

Quote from: Alienscar
The forum member so nice that even when he is MIA he still gets two votes for being the nicest member