News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: AGENTS OF THE IMPERIUM - UPDATED 05/29/2015 (Was Inquisition Kill Team)  (Read 12502 times)

Offline Grizzlykin

• Run little eldar, run! ... And KILL THEM ALL !
  • Armies: Eldars, Tau, Necrons
Re: Inquisition Kill Team - Expanding to a small army - updated 4/21/2015
« Reply #40 on: April 21, 2015, 10:15:51 AM »
Well these are some sweet looking model here. I am not really well  ersed in the imperium fluff but what i'm sure is that i can tell when something look nice and there you totally nailed it.
Keep up the good work:)
The Grizzly's Arvandor Craftworld!

Quote from: Cavalier
ALL HAIL THE TORNADO! The legend is REBORN.

Quote from: Alienscar
The forum member so nice that even when he is MIA he still gets two votes for being the nicest member

Offline vonny

• I *LOVE* 40k OFFline!
  • Armies: Tyranids, Lamenters (BA), Eldar (Iyanden), 1k Sons
« Reply #41 on: April 22, 2015, 04:20:46 AM »
Looks great work so far, Ambiance. I don't think I'd be able to do any better, but since noone improves if they only get praise, prepare for some nitpicking.

(ignore the critisism if you feel happy about it all)

The callidus looks great. I think the phase sword is very well executed and the harlequin mask gives him the callidus vibe. I do think his backpack is too easily identifyable as dark eldar, so if you can do anything with that, that would be great. Not sure what though.

As for the pistol: I don't really know how the official one looks, so no tips there. Neither for the blades - some imperial (fantasy) kits may have some bits for that.

The servitor looks perfect. I immediately identified it without even having read your description, it looks stocky and powerfully built, just like what you would need if you're going to be firing a plasma cannon. Perfect.
The psyker... I'm less sure on that one. Apart from the staff he's carrying, he might just be a commander. Possibly you'll solve this in the painting stage, I don't know. I do know I think his staff is slightly too bulky/large at the top for my tastes, so I would slim that down if at all possible.

The scions: Once again, really neat. I especially like the high elf legs, they give the scions a really neat vibe.

check out my Iyanden painting blog.

Offline Ambience 327

« Reply #42 on: April 22, 2015, 11:34:55 AM »
Looks great work so far, Ambiance. I don't think I'd be able to do any better, but since noone improves if they only get praise, prepare for some nitpicking.

(ignore the critisism if you feel happy about it all)

Constructive criticism is always appreciated and will never be ignored. Thank you! These are definitely still WIP models, so more work will be done.

The callidus looks great. I think the phase sword is very well executed and the harlequin mask gives him the callidus vibe. I do think his backpack is too easily identifyable as dark eldar, so if you can do anything with that, that would be great. Not sure what though.

As for the pistol: I don't really know how the official one looks, so no tips there. Neither for the blades - some imperial (fantasy) kits may have some bits for that.

Yeah, I'm not completely thrilled with the back of the Callidus either. I covered up the similar spot on my Eversor, but left it on the earlier Death Cultist Assassin. Once painted flat black it isn't really all that pronounced and noticeable, but I may try to cut it down and smooth it out just a bit on the Callidus.

My thoughts on the gun right now are to run a thin strip of styrene around the front of the gun (from the top, around the front, to the bottom), with a small hole drilled in the middle for the tip of the crystal to poke through. I think that will make it slightly more mechanical-looking and less organic than the Harlequin gun. I might also try to make the back a bit more boxy for a similar effect.

The servitor looks perfect. I immediately identified it without even having read your description, it looks stocky and powerfully built, just like what you would need if you're going to be firing a plasma cannon. Perfect.
The psyker... I'm less sure on that one. Apart from the staff he's carrying, he might just be a commander. Possibly you'll solve this in the painting stage, I don't know. I do know I think his staff is slightly too bulky/large at the top for my tastes, so I would slim that down if at all possible.

Yeah, I really like how the Servitor turned out too. I'm not quite satisfied with the wrist joint on his bionic arm though. I might try to put some more gubbinz there.

I plan to sculpt a bit of a psychic hood on to the head of the psyker, with one or two wires or cables coming out and snaking to something I can add to his back or belt. I do see where you are coming from on the staff, but I thought the whole ossuary look gave him a kind of quasi-religious vibe marking him as a very pious psyker and suggests a bit of background for him. I see him as a former Ecclisarchy priest who was cast down after his latent psychic abilities manifested. He was only saved from Excommunication and execution by the timely intervention of an Inquisitor, who saw his talents and firm faith in the Emperor as the valuable assets they are. Still, I might try to bulk out the rest of the staff, or at least the bottom, to match a bit and even out the visual "center of gravity".

The scions: Once again, really neat. I especially like the high elf legs, they give the scions a really neat vibe.

Yeah, I liked them a lot. Got to get another box of Scions to make more! :)

Offline Alienscar

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
Re: Inquisition Kill Team - Expanding to a small army - updated 4/10/2015
« Reply #43 on: April 29, 2015, 10:52:10 AM »
For the curious, he is made with a Dark Eldar Wych legs and body, Harlequin head and arms (the phase sword arm is a Harlequin's Embrace cut down, with part of a Grey Knights Nemesis Force Sword attached to the end). I plan to so a bit of work to the gun to make it look a bit more like the one carried by the official Callidus model, and I am considering options for giving him poisoned blades along his hip. He also has some Grey Knights scroll cases hanging from his belt.

There is nothing more frustrating than looking at a really well executed kit bash and not having a clue as to which bits/models has been used to make them. Please continue to list all the items that you use as it makes your Project more educational to Kit Bash wannabes like me.

Out of interest do you get it right first time you start a kit bash. For instance did you have other ideas other than the High Elf Archer legs or did you just instinctively know that they would Work?
Quote from: Starrakatt
"Russ, get your work done or you won't see your damn console for the next month!"
Honestly Alienscar, we get it... you dont like painting!

Offline Ambience 327

It's been a while, but I finally have something new to show. First up is an Arbites Judge in Power Armour carrying a Thunder Maul and Grapplehawk. He is designed so that I can use him as a Judge using my home-brew Codex, as Inquisitor Coteaz in a counts-as list, as a Judge in INQ28, Inquisimunda, etc.

My intention with the chosen bits was to hint at the flowing robes of a modern judge, with a sinister-looking hood adding that bit of grim-dark gothic flare necessary to make it 40K. I chose a thunder hammer that reminded me quite a bit of a gavel, and also happens to have a shaft very reminiscent of the classic power maul look.

His Grapplehawk is an undead vulture from one of the Tomb Kings kits. I plan to paint the bone areas in a metallic color to make it look more mechanical. I may also do a bit of green stuff work or add some bits to further sell the effect.

Next up we have the start of the Judge's personal staff - hand picked agents that act as advisors and aids to the Judge in carrying out his duties. On the left we have a Medicae, who is currently an unmodified Sister Hospitalier from the Sisters of Battle line. I am considering leaving her as-is and assuming she has been seconded to the Judge as a favor from the local convent.

In the middle, we have of course the classic Cyber-Mastiff model from the Necromunda Enforcers range. I am definitely going to leave this model as-is because it is such a classic model and truly part of the Arbites look and feel.

Finally on the right we have an Arbites Barrister, who the Judge can use to speak for him or lend additional weight to his speeches and pronouncements, as well as to help him scour datafiles and ancient texts for precepts and precedents he can use to prosecute his cases. The original model is (I believe) an old Talisman Wizard model. He carries a large scroll that he appears to be reading from (obviously a long list of charges!), and hanging from the back of his belt is a large archaic mace which I figure is as much a badge of office for him as it is a weapon. I have shaved the insignia from his hat brim, and I am considering trying to sculpt a small Imperial Eagle or maybe even an Arbites Winged Fist up there. Beyond that I don't think I will do much, as I think his current look seems very ceremonial, which I like.

My aplogies to Alienscar - I didn't see your question prior to now.

There is nothing more frustrating than looking at a really well executed kit bash and not having a clue as to which bits/models has been used to make them. Please continue to list all the items that you use as it makes your Project more educational to Kit Bash wannabes like me.

I don't always break it all down, but I try to list things when I think they will be confusing or obscure. If you ever have any specific questions on bits origin, let me know and I will do my best to help you out.

Out of interest do you get it right first time you start a kit bash. For instance did you have other ideas other than the High Elf Archer legs or did you just instinctively know that they would Work?

I don't always get it right the first time, but I tend not to glue anything down until I am happy with how I think it will turn out. Sometimes though, you just get a better idea or something just doesn't work the way you think it will, and you have to rip it apart and try again.

The High Elf legs were the result of a quick bit of inspiration. I am planning to do lots of Arbites eventually, using the Scion legs with Cadian torsos, and that is going to leave me with a decent number of Scion Torsos (as I plan to buy at least a few more boxes due to all the great bits that come with them, even if I end up bits-ordering the bulk of the legs eventually). I was pretty sure I wouldn't like the look of Scion torsos on Cadian legs, and I remembered that I had a small bunch of High Elf Archer legs lying around, and also remembered that the had a similar humped-top like the Scion legs. A quick dry-fit told me it would work, and the first test model came out really well, so I decided I'd do at least a couple of squads of them eventually. I have a second box of Scions now, so once I finish working on the Arbites Judge and his staff (since they are for a competition over on YakTribe), I will be working out the rest of this squad and starting on the next one.

Offline Ambience 327

Got a little more work done on the Judge and his Staff. I have added a Bailiff with a Shock Maul and Bolt Pistol (made from a Valkyrie door gunner, a Corvus Hammer from the Ravenwing Command Squad kit) and a bolt pistol arm and shoulder pad from the Chimera sprue. I think the head is from a Sentinel pilot, but don't remember for sure.

I've also added a laud-hailer servo-skull to the Barrister, made from the censer-bearing servo-skull that comes with the Tempestus Scions kit. I cut off the censer and replaced it with a trio of aquila from one of the Scion banner-toppers, and added a laud-hailer from the comm-unit backpack in the Scion kit. Overall I am really pleased with how this servo-skull turned out. I have added a bit of detail to the Barrister's hat as well, but I'm not satisfied with it yet, so expect more work here.

The Judge has also had a small bionic eye added to his Grapplehawk - though I think it still needs a bit more work.

Offline Ambience 327

Finally getting a bit of paint on the Judge's retinue. All models are now primed and ready. The Cyber-mastiff is mostly complete - needs just a bit of detailing and his base painted. These guys are for a contest over on YakTribe, so I expect to have all five done sometime tomorrow, as the deadline is Sunday and I'lll be busy then.

Offline Calamity

• Concussor Concussed Dice | Captain
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Cocking up miniatures since 1998
  • Armies: Kharadron Overlords, Bloodbound, Celestial Lions
Awesome stuff Ambience!  Really good conversions! :)

Offline Grizzlykin

Nice stuff man! I like the different color on the shoulder pad :)

The forum member so nice that even when he is MIA he still gets two votes for being the nicest member

Offline Ambience 327

The Judge and his Personal Staff are complete! I based them with the Agrellan Earth technical paint, and I really like the way it looks. You can't really see it well in the photo however, as it washes out among all the other browns. Hopefully I can get a better pic of the effect eventually.

From left to right:

Bailiff w/ Power Maul & Bolt Pistol
Medicae (Sister Hospitalier seconded from a local Sororitas Convent)
Judge w/ Thunder Maul and Grapplehawk (can Count As Coteaz when not using my home-brew rules)
Barrister w/ Laud-Hailer Servo-Skull
Cyber-Mastiff

Offline Grizzlykin

Looking sweet :D i like how everything really work together, they a lot of sens, esthetically speakng as  unit.
« Last Edit: June 1, 2015, 05:22:59 AM by Grizzlykin »

Offline vonny

• I *LOVE* 40k OFFline!
  • Armies: Tyranids, Lamenters (BA), Eldar (Iyanden), 1k Sons
I have to agree. While each model is completely different and made from different kits than the next, they somehow seem to all belong together. That's a very well done job!
check out my Iyanden painting blog.