News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: GW FAQ: Major change to fielding a Ynnari Army  (Read 2541 times)

Offline Tweedz

• Death is only the beginning.
GW FAQ: Major change to fielding a Ynnari Army
« on: July 23, 2017, 12:39:02 PM »
GW has made an update to the FAQs and there are several major changes (such as making it so you are considered defeated if you only have fliers left). The one I want to mention and discuss is that now in order to field Ynnari, your army must be lead by Yvraine, the Visarch, or the Yncarne. This will not affect dark eldar and harlequins too bad, as SfD was kind of a side grade to their abilities, but it is going to sting for CWE who had not intention of using one of the triumvirate.

Offline Cavalier

• One Archon to Rules Test Them All | High Corsair Prince of Painting | Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Angels, World Eaters
Re: GW FAQ: Major change to fielding a Ynnari Army
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2017, 01:46:23 PM »
It is a major twist... but the good thing is the Visarch has an invuln save now and I fully intend on using him as much as possible. I love me some Herohammer.
Check out my army! Eldar Corsair Army

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

Offline SeekingOne

• Exarch
  • May Hoeth guide our ways...
  • Armies: Eldar (Saim-Hann), Space Wolves
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2017, 02:10:45 PM »
I wouldn't call it a major twist, because, if you're serious about using Ynnari, then you'd want to make use of their psy-powers as well (Word of Phoenix mainly), and Yvraine is the most natural candidate for that.

However, this does make just taking your normal CWE list and calling it "Ynnari" a bit more problematic :)
I fight against Chaos and for Order, because it means fighting for Life against Death. There is no other battle truly worth fighting.

"If it's not for a tournament then play whatever it is that you like. Without the pressure of having to utterly destroy your opponent it opens up alot more opportunity to have fun." - Lazarus

Offline murgel

• Armies: CWE, Harlequins, SW, DA, BA, Vanilla SM
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2017, 02:31:47 PM »
I wouldn't call it a major...

However, this does make just taking your normal CWE list and calling it "Ynnari" a bit more problematic :)

Which should not be done anyway. A CWE list is a CWE list. I like this "twist", it would be even better, if there would be other Ynnari Leaders to take (an Ynnari-Autrach or -Farseer, - Warlock). But until then I like the new restriction as I got fed up with all the Ynnari lists which were just badly concealed PG attempts.
sure you have an opinion,
but my swordplay is better than your´s

Take my advice, I never use it.

Offline Tweedz

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2017, 02:56:32 PM »
A CWE list is a CWE list.

This sentiment makes less and less sense. In this edition, I can take multiple detachments of mixed DE, DWE, and Harlies, and not call it Ynnari. I can take pure DE with Yncarne and call it Ynnari. All imperial factions can be together in the same army. All chaos can.  Taking or not taking the HQs is all that defines Ynnari and this makes little sense to me. Ynnari may be a small faction, but the leaders are not everywhere and I don't see another faction with this requirement.

Yes I made most of my CWE lists be Ynnari. You can call it powergaming if you like (though if you look at my old craftworld fluff in the DIY craftworld thread, my lore has always been Ynnead worship), but battle focus is garbage. I don't see it as powergaming if all I am doing is not gimping myself with a horrendously nerfed ability.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2017, 02:57:36 PM by Tweedz »

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2017, 05:22:32 PM »
Where are these changes comming from? I'm trying to find them in the FAQ's (version 1.0) on the GW site, but I dont see them...

Offline The GrimSqueaker

• The Badger on the Road | Staff Infection Officer | Debased Vassal Slayer | Title Barfly | XOXOXO Gossip Girl | Bent Over
  • Global Moderator
  • From the Fourth Necromantic House
Quote from: @TracyAuGoGO
Tact is for people who are too slow witted to be sarcastic.
Drink
Knights Tippler
Quote from: Surviving the World
If you can't make fun of something, it's probably not worth taking seriously.

You have to love the smell of science in the morning. It smells of learning.... or perhaps a gas leak.

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2017, 06:21:07 PM »
Thanks Grim.

The Sudden Death Rule is OK, just means you can't spam fliers. On the flip side, it also means you can ignore low damage output fliers (or damaged fliers) and focus on killing ground units instead.

I guess too many people were taking cheap HQ's for Ynnari forces, so they needed a bit of a tax.

Offline Lord of Winter and War

• The Cause of Diabetes -Captain- Necrontyr Immortal - KoN Veteran - Master of All Diplomacy | Wi-Fi Nomad |
  • Ancient
  • Armies: Harlequins, Spiderfang, Bonereapers, Space Wolves
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2017, 10:37:32 PM »
Doesn't seem like to big of a deal to me. The yncarne is pretty much an auto include in ynnari lists anyway. It's a freaking beast.

Harlequin Army Blog

That's not blatant, this is blatant: I'm super happy that I'm playing Austria, the greatest nation in all of Diplomacy!

Azore of Austria

Offline Partninja

• Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2017, 10:59:24 PM »
Doesn't seem like to big of a deal to me. The yncarne is pretty much an auto include in ynnari lists anyway. It's a freaking beast.

Not for it's point cost IMO... It's good, but I'd rather take cheap HQs so I can play my CWE models and still get a decent faction bonus. If CWE had a better trait or craftworld bonuses I wouldn't care. Other factions aren't forced to take special characters.

Offline Fenris

• Aspect Warrior
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Eldar, Aeldari
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2017, 06:53:38 AM »
I guess I will have to include Yvraine now, hopefully people won't start crying "Cheese" about WotP.
I think the Army of the reborn FAQ/Errata is weird. GW obviously did not think it through and now tries to patch it randomly.

Edit: The SfD clarification is good though.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2017, 06:56:37 AM by Fenris »
Ego in propria persona, non compos mentis.

Offline Cavalier

• One Archon to Rules Test Them All | High Corsair Prince of Painting | Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Angels, World Eaters
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2017, 08:02:11 AM »
While I dont mind taking any of the three (I actually want to), it doesnt seem right that you have to take really expensive named characters to field Ynnari. I was just looking through Gathering Storm II and noticing Farseer Lathiel in the color plates section, remembering Jain Zarr, the other PL's and Succubi were there leading the charge for the Ynnari. Not sure why they can't lead Ynnari forces. Especially if they've gained Ynnead's favor.

However I dont mind running the special characters. I usually keep my lists lean and mean enough to afford a fancy warlord. With the Visarch getting a very solid invuln., Yvraine and the Yncarne as-is I'm totally fine with it (especially since my collection/playstyle jives really well with Yvraine and the Visarch).. But I feel pretty safe in saying I think most players don't approach the game like I do.  Herohammer is definitely a niche, especially when they aren't Guilliman level heroes.

Hopefully this has side-lit the issue Craftworld players are experiencing with overcosted options, a redundancy of tools (IMO) and a very poor army wide special rule.

A big change, a bit unfair, but at least the options they are forcing you to take are very strong and really get a lot of bang for your buck with SFD
Check out my army! Eldar Corsair Army

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

Offline murgel

• Armies: CWE, Harlequins, SW, DA, BA, Vanilla SM
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2017, 10:26:44 AM »
A CWE list is a CWE list.

This sentiment makes less and less sense. In this edition, I can take multiple detachments of mixed DE, DWE, and Harlies, and not call it Ynnari. I can take pure DE with Yncarne and call it Ynnari. All imperial factions can be together in the same army. All chaos can.  Taking or not taking the HQs is all that defines Ynnari and this makes little sense to me. Ynnari may be a small faction, but the leaders are not everywhere and I don't see another faction with this requirement.

Yes I made most of my CWE lists be Ynnari. You can call it powergaming if you like (though if you look at my old craftworld fluff in the DIY craftworld thread, my lore has always been Ynnead worship), but battle focus is garbage. I don't see it as powergaming if all I am doing is not gimping myself with a horrendously nerfed ability.

Ok. First thing: Sorry if it came over as an accusation, it was not intended as one.

Second:
My problem is not the Ynnari player. My problem is the tendency to overly optimize. Which is, in my eyes, counter productive to the "social" contract of having fun between the players.
I like ynnari lists, I like the fluff and I have the models. So there is no problem for me with that. I don't like the "CWE have no decent fraction bonus so I change fraction" whilst I would like "CWE have no decent fraction bonus so I look for a way to make them work with what they have"
Remember please this is all just a very personal view. I never lied the allies idea and can't remember ever having allies in my list.
Thus, for me an Ynnari list should include at least 2 of the Eldar fractions. My own currently includes all three of them (as soon as my corsairs are done it will be "four").

So please bear with me if I stepped on your toes. It was not intended
sure you have an opinion,
but my swordplay is better than your´s

Take my advice, I never use it.

Offline Tweedz

« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2017, 02:23:44 PM »

Ok. First thing: Sorry if it came over as an accusation, it was not intended as one.

No worries. I know it was not meant that way, but I probably got a little over sensitive and made that snappy response.

I agree that over optimization is the enemy of a friendly game (I would probably not play against someone who wanted to field razorwing spam in a casual game, outside asking me to help them test something). I guess it just irks me that Ynnari players are being pigeon-holed into purchasing a character for their army, unlike any other army. Sometimes I just want joe-shmoe autarch running my strike force so that I can focus more on infantry or vehicles.

Hopefully the codex rolls around in the near future and Ynnari have some generic HQs of their own.

Offline Blazinghand

• Warlock | Master of the Ravenwing
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Die for the Emperor or die trying!
  • Armies: Eldar, Orks
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2017, 02:48:31 PM »
My assumption is Ynnari will have a much less bare-bones set of rules once Codex comes around. I expect at the point we will see Ynnari Farseer, Ynnari Warlock, etc (probably with different powers?). In the meantime, this does distinguish Ynnari forces from Aeldari forces and while it is a bit of a pain and a little unfluffy (since I don't think every Ynnari force has Yvraine, the Visarche, or the Yncarne with them) it doesn't actually make the Ynnari unplayable or anything, Yvraine is really good at the very least (have not seen/played with the others).
Quote from: Howard Zinn
There is no flag large enough to cover the shame of killing innocent people.

Offline Lord of Winter and War

• The Cause of Diabetes -Captain- Necrontyr Immortal - KoN Veteran - Master of All Diplomacy | Wi-Fi Nomad |
  • Ancient
  • Armies: Harlequins, Spiderfang, Bonereapers, Space Wolves
« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2017, 04:00:36 PM »
The Ynnari faction is really small. It's pretty much (at least at the end of the gathering storm), the personal warband of Ynnead's triumvirate. Requiring one of them as the warlord makes perfect sense.

I'd expect more flushing out when the faction gets a codex. Be cool to see what new units they get.

Harlequin Army Blog

That's not blatant, this is blatant: I'm super happy that I'm playing Austria, the greatest nation in all of Diplomacy!

Azore of Austria