News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Swampys IG Task force (Updated 10/11/11)  (Read 3663 times)

Offline SwampyTurtle

• Captain
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • "Death is no respite from War"
    • Behind the lines gaming blog
  • Armies: Tau (Jar'kai Sept);Tanith 1st;Phantine Skyborne IG
Swampys IG Task force (Updated 10/11/11)
« on: February 21, 2011, 08:24:22 PM »
So thanks to My friends , I have finally decided to start on my IG.  The first models he showed me were enough that i decided to trade for them and start working towards my next squad.  They are currently a mix of Catachan bodies , arms, and legs with glade guard cloaks and Faces.  I like the look alot but have had some issues with the arms.  Alot of people i have showed them to say the arms look to big, so im gonna post 3 pictures and see what you guys think.  Alot of the look from the cadian spur doesnt look promising since cadians are too heavy for my taste ( and since everyone plays them).  Overall im trying to keep them as close as i can from the fluff and books along with the artwork for them. ( the quivers on the back of the cloaks will be cut off and filed down once i have decided on the rest)

^That was back in August 2010. It is now 2011 and my itch to play guard is back. Having left my 1500 points at home , ive decided to start my small budding IG army down here and it has to theme with the one back home hence Tanith / Phantine / Padrus !  :D

Here is what tanith are suppose to look like:

Here are the current models in their old forms: (thanks to my friend emperors champion!)

Models are:  Mostly catachan parts with added glade gaurd heads and cloaks (old and out of date, but just to show here i started something)

Mock up with cadian body + arms / legs with glade guad head and cloak (This is what i went with in the end. I found it at dakkadakka and decided that i thought this is what tanith should look like!)
« Last Edit: October 11, 2011, 02:41:32 PM by SwampyTurtle »

Record:                                    W/L/D
Jar'kia Sept:                                  5/6/3
Tanith 1st:                                    2/0/2

my blog:  Behind the Lines gaming

Offline SwampyTurtle

• Captain
  • Lazerous Penguin
Re: Swampys IG Task force
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2011, 08:25:10 PM »
Small update for the Phantine Side of things:

Forgeworld Elysian models in the resin. Im planning on eventually running enough of these guys for a small task for of Phantine Skyborne Troopers. Orginally i wanted to replace the helemets to look like this:

and i could do it too by using the pilot heads from the valks, except for the fact that i would need to buy:

A. More Valks for my skyborne and the helemts.
B. Replace said helemts with cadian heads to give the pilots heads.
C. I would only get enough pilot heads for 1 squad at most or 2 if i used the gunners heads too.

So i emailed the creator Dan Abnett and looks for how to get them right for a true Phantine Skyborne trooper. Its true, Mr. Abnett does repsond to his own mail and VERY fast. I got this with in 24 hours.

Hello

I think they look very much like WW2 aircrew crossed with paratroopers, with the jump-packs being "jet pack" type units about the size and shape (and appearance) of
an un-deployed parachute.

Any help?

Dan

This lead to rethink the whole modern design and start looking back into new ideas. I decided the Elysians would be the way to go in the end. Not only to distants themselfs from the tanith but to stand out on the table as one of my FAVORITE regiments in 40k. To finish off this update im still working on how to do the jump pack. while i would want my troopers to have them, im still undersure of how to model them. Ideas would be welcome as always :)

Offline Harrison

• Major | Acting S3 - 40th Corps
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Battle is an orgy of disorder.
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2011, 06:48:35 PM »
Looks good mate,

Couple things;
What's up with the quiver of arrows? They seem out of place.
Also, gotta clean that flash on your Tanith.

I think the mixing of cadian type tanith and catachan style would look great.

Keep it up Swampy!

Harrison, 40th Corps
Major Harrison, of the 40th Corps,

So lets all admit the truth. Tony stark is the Emperor.

Offline SwampyTurtle

• Captain
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2011, 08:06:24 PM »
Looks good mate,

Couple things;
What's up with the quiver of arrows? They seem out of place.
Also, gotta clean that flash on your Tanith.

I think the mixing of cadian type tanith and catachan style would look great.

Keep it up Swampy!

Harrison, 40th Corps

First quote box, Last sentence.  All the arrows have been removed :) already.

The tanith in the picture were just a concept picture. They have had there flash cleaned.

I think im gonna make the catachan style the scouts (Special weapon squads?) and the normal cadian line troopers once i get it rolling

Thank You :)

Offline Harrison

• Major | Acting S3 - 40th Corps
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Battle is an orgy of disorder.
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2011, 08:11:08 PM »
Shows you how observant I am  :P

Hey it's your army, but I would smack them all together as the Tanith 1st isn't all Tanith anyway, so it'd look "right" so to speak.

But keep it up, it's a great project.

Harrison, 40th Corps
Major Harrison, of the 40th Corps,

So lets all admit the truth. Tony stark is the Emperor.

Offline Dawnlight Avenger

• Infinity Circuit
    • Bryan Maynard - Sculptor
  • Armies: Craftworld Eldar, Tau, Imperial Guard
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2011, 12:28:37 PM »
Man after my own heart. I still need to read Blood Pact but the series itself is fandamntastic.

Have you looked at the handful of models that GW has put out for the Tanith? I think they still sell 'em on their site, and I know you can find 'em all on Ebay (I have been doing that myself!) Its not enough to make an army from but it does give you a basis to go off of.

As for the wood Elf models, I might be a little harsh here, but they're elves and they look like it. You'd have much better results working with some of the more human models. Have you considered trying to convert from the Empire range from fantasy? Just took a quick look through them and a lot of their foot infantry could probably be converted over to the Tanith appearance. I also remember from Abnett's writing that they do employ a certain amount of standard imperial equipment such as breastplates and helmets (although there was another passage about their disdain for standard helments :P). With this in mind, i might try to convert the platoons from Empire infantry (free company and the archers mostly). If you wanted some bare arms like the pic from the 3rd ed codex, you might be able to try to work with chaos marauders, I think their arms are slightly less bulky.

Sorry for the rant there. I can't wait to see this project progress further!

-Valkyrie
War gaming is more than a hobby,
it's a lifestyle

The Listening Post - A Hobby Blog

Offline SwampyTurtle

• Captain
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2011, 08:44:28 PM »
Man after my own heart. I still need to read Blood Pact but the series itself is fandamntastic.

Blood pact wasnt that good, seemed like a opener to the next part of the Ghost series. Salvations Reach will be better!

Have you looked at the handful of models that GW has put out for the Tanith? I think they still sell 'em on their site, and I know you can find 'em all on Ebay (I have been doing that myself!) Its not enough to make an army from but it does give you a basis to go off of.

They only sell the main heros and a few non characters. I want to make this army unqiue looking and have fun kit bashing. Ive seens alot of armys look grand with some right kit added in like Harrisons Double tread tank! (I love it!). Yet i also need it to be reproduceable and so ive decided to keep this look. I enjoy it and ive decide its gonna be my core.

As for the wood Elf models, I might be a little harsh here, but they're elves and they look like it. You'd have much better results working with some of the more human models. Have you considered trying to convert from the Empire range from fantasy? Just took a quick look through them and a lot of their foot infantry could probably be converted over to the Tanith appearance. I also remember from Abnett's writing that they do employ a certain amount of standard imperial equipment such as breastplates and helmets (although there was another passage about their disdain for standard helments :P). With this in mind, i might try to convert the platoons from Empire infantry (free company and the archers mostly). If you wanted some bare arms like the pic from the 3rd ed codex, you might be able to try to work with chaos marauders, I think their arms are slightly less bulky.

Thanks for the ideas but ive been at this for a year and a half now, Im fairly certain this is how "I" imagine them to be. The WE parts have never bothered me and people at my LGS actually really liked the models when i brought them out. Some say they look tanith-y others say they dont. Thats OK with me. In the end, the only person that has to enjoy them is me. As for the bare arms dilimea ive noticed on the cover of honour guard that alot of them are in fact wearing longer sleeves for the art work. I decided that bare arms or not, i'll like the idea alittle more of just getting the models built first off (around the time of Honor guard / Guns of Tanith period) and then deciding on how to paint them later. Thanks though for the ideas.

Sorry for the rant there. I can't wait to see this project progress further!

-Valkyrie

Thank You, I hope to have more progress soon!

Offline Tuesday

• Major
  • Yes, you're right, my tear ducts are exploding...
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2011, 06:19:50 PM »
Can't wait to see some progress. Looks good so far.

I'll get you that Demo-charge arm soon. I've just been really busy. I havn't forgot!
How to submit your articles!

"Ideal pimping requires a purple suit, a diamond studded cane, and a car with hydraulics."
-The Tactica Imperium-
------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline SwampyTurtle

• Captain
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2011, 01:22:25 PM »
Update time:

Well after getting home from uni and looking at my models i begun to agree with others in that the tanith didnt look too tanith(y) so i begun looking at the web again and came across dave taylors cadians -> tanith.  Liking the fact that it only needed 1 kit i begun a new to start my 1st and ony:

This is DAVE TAYLORS work that i have used as inspiriation for my own:

This is MY OWN work as down below

Only got 4 done (out of like 80?) but its a start. Special Characters are as followed:

Major Rawne (Beret)
Feygor (mohawk)
Mkoll (Grenade)
Crid (Female)

Offline SwampyTurtle

• Captain
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2011, 08:04:06 PM »
another new update

Now updated:

Offline SwampyTurtle

• Captain
  • Lazerous Penguin
Re: Swampys IG Task force (update 6/4/11)
« Reply #10 on: June 4, 2011, 07:34:46 PM »
Taking a break from my tanith for a moment

Well my buddies and I are doing a Online RPG for Dark Heresy and one of them is running his character as a death cultest. Having said that i would, i attempted to build the character as best i could from spare bits. His character, Dorian Barbosa is from Dusk a feral world in the DH book and so i tried to make the look as "feral" as i could without too much interfence or making him look too primative. I took parts from Wood elves, tau, and a flagalant band to make him. Hope everyone likes him. Comments and ideas are welcome as always.

I tried to add as much as his gear as i could see here:

Gear: two mono-swords, six throwing knives, crossbow pistol and twenty bolts, las Pistol and one charge pack, autopistol and two clips, grapnel and line, equipment harness, 3 doses of stimm, protective bodyglove (2 points Primitive armor for Body, Arms and Legs), stone knife (memento), vial of blood (memento)

Attempt #1

Offline SwampyTurtle

• Captain
  • Lazerous Penguin
Re: Swampys IG Task force (Updated 6/4/11)
« Reply #11 on: June 8, 2011, 07:59:40 PM »
everything is getting moved to Blogspot

http://ghostsdivision.blogspot.com/

New point for updates on my Task force from now on.
« Last Edit: June 8, 2011, 08:04:10 PM by SwampyTurtle »

Offline SwampyTurtle

• Captain
  • Lazerous Penguin
Re: Swampys IG Task force (Updated 6/8/11)
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2011, 01:14:43 PM »
new update to my blog now posted. Pictures to come in the new few weeks.

my blog:  http://straightsilver40k.blogspot.com/

Just a quick preview:

Lately, our Dark Heresy group (DH) has been taken by the idea of modeling our characters so i have taken upon myself to do a few of them. So far i have built the Inquistor Umarus, Death cult Assassin Dorian Barbosa, Abrities Gregory Alexae, and modified my own persona, Litilus Remaus from the tech priest model. Our fifth person, (a priest) has bought his own model and so i felt since it was his character that i wouldnt build it so as to save bits (and hopefully get back to my tanith eventually).

« Last Edit: June 29, 2011, 08:34:23 AM by SwampyTurtle »

Offline SwampyTurtle

• Captain
  • Lazerous Penguin
Re: Swampys IG Task force (Updated 10/3/11)
« Reply #13 on: October 3, 2011, 04:32:53 PM »
Some work ive done on my Inquistors,

First one is a attempt at Adrastia from DOW II: Retribution (overall not too happy with it, but i ran out of time this summer to work on her)

Second one is of Inquistor Urmarus from our our DH group.

Inquistor Umarus was a interesting character to build for many reasons. First off, he was a combination of ideas presented by myself and the GM on a different type of Inquistor.  We decided that he would be a Xeno Hybris Radical. This idea of a inquistor interested in and encouraging his retuine to find and use xeno artifacts presented alot of modeling opportunitys. It also presented a change from the norm for how some of the models would be built. I wanted the model to look imperial and demanding but yet have some less gothic features. Finally in the end,  I took parts from many kits and came out with a rough design. Well not completely satisfied with the result, I feel that for the moment, it'll have to do till i can come back to reevaulate it. Once that has happened, I hope to get some pictures up for all to see.

For Gameplay purposes, I will be fielding him, as well as the other members DH characters as a Company command squad for my tanith in certain games. I figure a Inquistor leading IG into battle is a 40k image and am excited for the chances to play him on the table