News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Shazam!  (Read 1624 times)

Offline Grand Master Lomandalis

• Grand Master of the Deathwing | Oh the lolmanity! | 40kOnline's Care Bear of LOL!
  • Global Moderator
  • We were murderers first, last, and always!
  • Armies: Dark Angels, Custodes, Knights, Night Lords
Shazam!
« on: April 6, 2019, 01:36:53 AM »
As a last minute, spur of the moment type deal, I went to see Shazam tonight.  I gotta say... I was surprised by how much I enjoyed it.  The movie was fun, the action was solid, and the monsters were actually pretty freaky to look at!

I went into this movie thinking that it was going to be a comic book movie geared towards kids, but it really isn't.  The only reason I would say that it is a "kids movie" is because the main character is a kid.  Beyond that... man does DC include some terrifying imagery!  An example (without giving anything away) is they show a monster biting someone's head off.  And not the quick snap of jaws to blur through, but their mouth slowly envelops their head before the teeth close.  It was beslubbering disturbing (and pretty damn awesome lol).

The only complaint I have is that some of the fights are very Man-of-Steel-esque in that they'll fly up into the sky just to punch them back down into the ground and have them fall for several seconds.

Overall, I really enjoyed the movie and totally recommend seeing it.  I think DC has finally figured out their amphetamine parrot and they are now doing solid movies.
If there is anything that recent politics has taught us, it is that quotes taken out of context can mean what ever you want them to.
Well I always liked the globals...
I knew I had fans!!!

"Dark Angels are Traitors" is the 40k equivalent of Flat Earthers.  You can provide all of the proof you want that says otherwise, but people just can't let it go...

Offline Sir_Godspeed

• Lazerous Penguin
  • "Bees. My God" was an obscure Batman quote.
Re: Shazam!
« Reply #1 on: April 7, 2019, 02:23:23 PM »
Nice! I'm looking forward to seeing this. :D

Offline Calamity

• Concussor Concussed Dice | Captain
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Cocking up miniatures since 1998
  • Armies: Kharadron Overlords, Bloodbound, Celestial Lions
« Reply #2 on: April 8, 2019, 04:28:37 PM »
Excellent!  I wanted to like this movie and I can’t wait to see it! :)

Offline Lord of Winter and War

• The Cause of Diabetes -Captain- Necrontyr Immortal - KoN Veteran - Master of All Diplomacy | Wi-Fi Nomad |
  • Ancient
  • Armies: Harlequins, Spiderfang, Bonereapers, Space Wolves
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2019, 07:37:08 AM »
I'm looking forward to seeing it sometime ha ha.
Harlequin Army Blog

That's not blatant, this is blatant: I'm super happy that I'm playing Austria, the greatest nation in all of Diplomacy!

Azore of Austria

Offline Calamity

• Concussor Concussed Dice | Captain
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Cocking up miniatures since 1998
  • Armies: Kharadron Overlords, Bloodbound, Celestial Lions
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2019, 09:02:17 AM »
Saw it on Sunday, and it was absolutely wonderful!  One of the best super hero movies I’ve ever seen!  So funny and full of heart but with real stakes and danger too.  And it’s a DC movie!

Go see it while you can!  ;D

Offline Blazinghand

• Warlock | Master of the Ravenwing
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Die for the Emperor or die trying!
  • Armies: Eldar, Orks
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2019, 07:12:32 PM »
Very charming, a little corny, and fun. Some actual street level super heroing which I appreciate. A light hearted tone that still had stakes. I enjoyed it.
Quote from: Howard Zinn
There is no flag large enough to cover the shame of killing innocent people.

Offline The GrimSqueaker

• The Badger on the Road | Staff Infection Officer | Debased Vassal Slayer | Title Barfly | XOXOXO Gossip Girl | Bent Over
  • Global Moderator
  • From the Fourth Necromantic House
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2019, 07:38:30 PM »
Okay, I'm going to have to put a stop to this. You all know how forums work. You can't all like the same thing that someone has done. There has to be a vocal if not outrageously represented fraction who absolutely hates what you like and wants to make sure you know about it. So enough of everyone enjoying this thing till we get our quota of people who absolutely despise the same thing and consider it the death of the entire genre if not all movies in general. We won't have anarchy in here of everyone liking the same things.
Quote from: @TracyAuGoGO
Tact is for people who are too slow witted to be sarcastic.
Drink
Knights Tippler
Quote from: Surviving the World
If you can't make fun of something, it's probably not worth taking seriously.

You have to love the smell of science in the morning. It smells of learning.... or perhaps a gas leak.

Offline Wyddr

• Author Eminence: Hereticus Liber Daemonica | Fio'shas Shi
  • Lazerous Penguin
    • My blog about SF/F stuff
  • Armies: Daemons, Imperial Fists, Tau, Ksons, Vostroyans
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2019, 01:23:13 PM »
Okay, I'm going to have to put a stop to this. You all know how forums work. You can't all like the same thing that someone has done. There has to be a vocal if not outrageously represented fraction who absolutely hates what you like and wants to make sure you know about it. So enough of everyone enjoying this thing till we get our quota of people who absolutely despise the same thing and consider it the death of the entire genre if not all movies in general. We won't have anarchy in here of everyone liking the same things.

Well I...haven't seen it.

Yet.

But it looks pretty good.

???

Offline The GrimSqueaker

• The Badger on the Road | Staff Infection Officer | Debased Vassal Slayer | Title Barfly | XOXOXO Gossip Girl | Bent Over
  • Global Moderator
  • From the Fourth Necromantic House
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2019, 02:36:06 PM »
By not having seen it you're in the perfect position to complain very loudly about how terrible it must be. Just like the people who leave terrible reviews of movies/books before they're even released. Come on, be a team player.
Quote from: @TracyAuGoGO
Tact is for people who are too slow witted to be sarcastic.
Drink
Knights Tippler
Quote from: Surviving the World
If you can't make fun of something, it's probably not worth taking seriously.

You have to love the smell of science in the morning. It smells of learning.... or perhaps a gas leak.

Offline Looshkin

• Aspect Warrior
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Once held an Utter Fear of Tiny Diamonds
  • Armies: I 'play' Eldar. Or at least horde unpainted models
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2019, 06:29:08 PM »
By not having seen it you're in the perfect position to complain very loudly about how terrible it must be. Just like the people who leave terrible reviews of movies/books before they're even released. Come on, be a team player.

So I went to see it tonight and I'm afraid I can't help. It's a hoot. Really fun movie with compelling characters.

It'll never feature in one of my top 10 lists, but it was a cool movie that I enjoyed. Well done DC.
WD127 - Started a Love Affair my Wallet Just Can't Cope With...