News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: 500 pts Chimera Vet Spam [Boosted to 1000, brief Bat Rep]  (Read 1942 times)

Offline Spectral Arbor

• Major
  • Thanks for the help.
500 pts Chimera Vet Spam [Boosted to 1000, brief Bat Rep]
« on: March 7, 2012, 08:37:45 PM »
So I figured it's about time for me to try out Chimera spam. See what all the fuss is about. ;)

135 - CCS: 3x Meltagun, Chimera w/ Heavy Flamer, Heavy Bolter

165 - Vets: Power Fist, 3x GL, Autocannon, Shotguns, Chimera w/ Multi-laser, Heavy Flamer

200 - Vets: Power Fist, 3x Plasmagun, Missile Launcher, Chimera w/ Multi-laser, Heavy Bolter

500 - Total

The Plasma Vets ideally sit back and hold a home objective while providing fire support. The GL Vets advance with the CCS, their two Heavy Flamers helping to take out some infantry on the way.

Does anything stand out as overtly crap? It's been a long time since I've played 500 pts. :)
« Last Edit: March 10, 2012, 01:19:51 PM by GreatBigTree »

Offline Bert_the_Turtle

• Major
  • Rule #1: Pillage THEN burn.
Re: 500 pts Chimera Vet Spam
« Reply #1 on: March 8, 2012, 02:40:36 AM »
At a first glance it looks pretty darn good to me. Lots of good general purpose stuff. You shouldn't have any trouble being competitive with that sort of list except against the most ridiculously stacked munchkined uberlist. Maybe. You're more likely to just out and out destroy any battle tanks or monstrous creatures that roll up XD

Although the Melta Guys and Grenade Guys are more likely to be doing up close work, so they might wanna get the power fists and not the plasma guys, so maybe just switch that one around.

Oh, and the Chimera's MultiLaser is in general so much better than the Heavy Bolter you might wanna change that around on the CCS Chimera. The boost to strength tends to work out lots better than the Heavy Bolter's better AP Rating.

"You know the other team is f'd when we're using military hand signals to communicate  :P" -My Buddy Himitsu

Offline RandomGuardsman

• Kampfgruppe RipperJacks!
« Reply #2 on: March 8, 2012, 06:59:33 AM »
 At 500pts there are not many lists that can break 3 chimeras. Most armies you go against will not be fielding as much armor either.  That being said I wonder how often you will get to use the Heavy weapons or if you will even use the power fists at all. With so few actual units the 'Gets Hot!' on the one vet squad might be more of a threat to itself than the enemy if it comes to needing to fire on anything.

I could see the option of ditching the PF in both squads, dropping the heavy weapons, then upgrading the GL vet squad with harker for the extra firepower on the move.

You could downgrade the plasma guns to melta, drop the PFs, drop the MLer, and upgrade both vet squads with Demolitions.

The only other Idea I could toss in would be running with Grenade Launcher spam and turning one of the Chimeras into a Valk w/ MRP for the tactic of "Death by wound saturation".

On a more tactical note with less change....would it be more effective to use Stubbers/Stormbolters on each chimera over the points used on the powerfist?
Mercenaries never die! They go to hell to regroup!

Offline namadio

• Drunk or sober, never lose your composure
  • Armies: Imperial Guard
« Reply #3 on: March 8, 2012, 05:42:58 PM »
I don't quite understand the GL/AC unit being moble.  It seems to me that PG squad would be much more effective as a mobile unit seeing as GL is as effective at 12" as it is at 24" while there is an obvious bonus in rapid fire at 12" with PG.  Now this will also lead to more overheating but it seems like a waste of points to take plasma and not get close.  I would also suggest remove the PF from your stationary and put a PP on the vet sgt of the now mobile plasma squad.  At this point I would remove the PF from the PP Vet Sgt as I wouldn't want to blow up a PF.  I concur with ML/HF (mobile) and ML/HB (stationary) for Chimera armaments and if you can fit it in stubbers make a big impact at this level.  I never put HW in mobile units but I recall one or two of your posts stating you're found of it incase you get a chance to shoot so to each his own.  I'd take another AC over ML at 500 pts unless you really feel like you need the option of a small  blast.  Whoever brings AV14 to 500pts can suck it and a single ML isn't going to do anything to that without some serious dice lucks.  You're going to have to rely on side/rear armor shots from PG and AC against heavy armor and shouldn't struggle with front on light armor.
-Nick
"Plans are nothing; planning is everything." Dwight D. Eisenhower

Offline Spectral Arbor

• Major
  • Thanks for the help.
« Reply #4 on: March 9, 2012, 01:50:42 PM »
The CCS Heavy Flamer is on the turret, with a HB on the hull. I like to have the rotating HF for "up close" work. I've had a few Chimeras be immobilized by multi-assault on a Melta unit, so being able to spin the HF to toast my attackers is nice, I find. I play in a heavily assault favouring metagame, so much of what I do in terms of list selection has to counter that. Had I magnetized the weapon like I was supposed to...

As to the Heavy Weapons, I'm not really sure if they're worthwhile or not, so I thought I'd ask. I imagine I'd have a couple of turns where I sit still to take advantage of them, so they seem like a good purchase even if I don't use them every turn... but that's why I'm asking for advice. :D

The PF's are to help kill off that lonely sergeant and special weapon trooper that always seem to survive tremendous volumes of firepower.  >:( Maybe that's less of an issue in a fully mech list, with the Chimeras taking the brunt of assaults?

As to the GL's being mobile, while the Plasma is ideally static, I always try to engage at 13"+. Again, that may be less of an issue with fully Mech lists, but I figure that if I can't be assaulted in return, I'm probably going to win. As such, I try to stay put with the Plasma, to allow for long range, while the GL's can move forward and maintain their max range. They advance for a turn or two, firing on the way,  stay put for a turn or so, then advance to claim objectives or retreat to prevent the loss of a home objective. Not as meaningful at 500 points, of course, but it seems to work for me in larger games.

So thanks for the advice, I'm headed to a GW tonight and I never know how many points my opponent will bring. I'm excited to maybe try this list, and to see how the advice I've recieved could have altered the game for future revisions.

Thanks again!

Offline Bert_the_Turtle

• Major
  • Rule #1: Pillage THEN burn.
« Reply #5 on: March 9, 2012, 04:03:33 PM »
Well, only actually playing will bear out what actually works for your play style. If you're fighting another list with a lot of transports, the extra heavy weapons will help a lot since you won't want to close with them til they're popped anyway.

Although I might want to take all Autocannons or at least give the AutoCannon to the Plasma List. As least the str values match up while the Missile Launcher has the same options, if stronger versions, as the Grenade Launchers. Krak/Frag Grenades/Missiles.

"You know the other team is f'd when we're using military hand signals to communicate  :P" -My Buddy Himitsu

Offline namadio

• Drunk or sober, never lose your composure
  • Armies: Imperial Guard
« Reply #6 on: March 9, 2012, 11:42:27 PM »
How did it go?  I used a fun list of Straken, Yarrick + Ogryns, Rough Riders, and 6 Penal squads tonight 8)
-Nick
"Plans are nothing; planning is everything." Dwight D. Eisenhower

Offline LOUDERMAN

• Battlecannons can solve a great many problems.
  • Armies: Imperial Guard, Iron Warriors, and Tau
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2012, 05:45:41 AM »
Personally I like plasmaguns on the CCS. With the low points count, a Medpack might just be golden in a plasma CCS. In addition, I'd rather have both veterans advancing anyway. 10 bodies per squad absorbs hits better, and helps protect the cool guns.

Honestly, that's about the only thing I'd change. Make the CCS the "Hang back" squad, and the Veterans your advancing units. But on the note of chimeras, I'd keep the Multilasers on all of them. With all 3, a pair of ACs, the GLs and Plasmas, you should have zero problems stopping enemy transports nice and early, thus stranding the enemy squads.
"I prefer to let my tanks do the talking. Unfortunately they don't have loud speakers so they tend to start a conversation with battlecannon rounds...."

Offline Spectral Arbor

• Major
  • Thanks for the help.
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2012, 01:13:08 PM »
It's not that I dislike plasma on CCS, I just prefer the suicidal nature of melta work to be on a non-scoring unit... plus they can BID themselves. Nothing's for certain, but 4 TL MG's is pretty close. ;)

I wound up playing at 1000 pts,

160 - CCS: Power Fist, 4x Meltagun, Chimera w/ Heavy Flamer, Heavy Bolter

165 - Vets: Power Fist, 3x GL, Autocannon, Shotguns, Chimera w/ Multi-laser, Heavy Flamer

200 - Vets: Power Fist, 3x Plasmagun, Missile Launcher, Chimera w/ Multi-laser, Heavy Bolter

140 - Vendetta: HB's

130 - Vets: PF, 3x Flamer, Demolitions

205 - LRBT: Lascannon, 2x Plasma Sponsons

1000 - Total

I played against another Guard player, and he was playing...
A trio of Carapace Vets with AC, single PlaG.
A trio of Armoured Sents with AC's
A Hydra
A LR Exterminator, Pask, LC, 2x HB
A LC + MoO CCS.

[Autocannon spam vs Mech. Eeep!]

5 Objectives, 2 on his side, 2 in the middle, 1 on mine [for the Plasma Vets] since I knew I was playing aggressively and he was defensive. I got first turn, scouted my Flamer Vets in their Vendetta, then had them deploy and flamer/demo one of his Vet units. The result left a one wound HWT... thankfully, so I multi-assaulted it and an Armoured Sent [MB's are awesome!]. Killed the HWT, Imob'd the Sent, lost a duder. The Vendetta took both Hyda-AC's off and stunned it. ;) Melta CCS moved full tilt and popped smoke. GL Vets moved slow, sent some frag rounds into another Vet squad and offed enough to cause a check, which they passed after the Plasma Vets' Chim shot at them. Their Chim shook an Armoured Sent, I was happy. The ML Vets advanced in their Chim, throwing their Mul at the grenaded Vets. They advanced so that their Mul/HB would be in range for next turn, and the Plasma would be as well, if he advanced towards the central objectives. The Russ destroyed a Sentinel.

His turn had him shoot his Pask-terminator at my lead Chim [CCS] which resulted in several pens and a couple of glances. [The Vendetta was actually out of line of sight!] Smoke stopped all but one pen and two glances, resulting in a very stunned Chim. :) I can say that a Pask-terminator makes a very effective transport stopper, though I don't know about spending that many points on it. His Company Command Squad managed to shake the Russ. The two AC/PlaG Veteran squads each shot at a different Chimera [line of sight issues] though neither caused damage. The Veterans in Close Combat with the Sentinel removed it's weapon, and it caused a casualty, so drawn combat there.

My next turn allowed me to drift my Vendetta six inches around a building to draw line on the side of his Russ, which got exploded. The Flamer/Demo Veterans finished off the Sentinel, and “swept” into the same building as his now thoroughly depleted 2nd Veteran squad. They took a kicking from the Grenade Launcher Veterans, and the Plasma Veterans with their shooty Chimera, leaving the Sarge, Plasmagunner and a single wound Autocannon team. The Company Command Squad got out and melta'd a Sentinel at long range, wrecking it. The Grenade Launcher Vet's Chimera used it's Multi-laser to take the Autocannon off of the final Sentinel. My Russ moved to get out of the enemy CCS's line of sight.

His second turn had one Veteran unit fire into the Grenade Launcher Vet's Chimera, which immobilized it. The other squad fired into the Company Command Squad, taking down 2 of the Meltagunners and putting a wound on the Commander. His Hydra fired it's Heavy Bolter into the Flamer Veterans, but cover saved the two wounds it inflicted. His Company Command Squad fluffed their order, and then missed with both Lascannon and Master of Ordnance, targeting my Russ.

My third turn saw the Flamer Veterans toast the weakened squad, claiming an objective. The Plasma Veterans fired a frag round and their Chimera into the last Veteran squad, leaving them with only a few wounds. The CCS's Chimera moved up, they embarked, and the Chimera took down a few more of the last Veteran squad. The Russ shot at the Veterans, with the BC missing altogther, one plasma shot hit the target, and the Lascannon did as well. The Grenade Launcher Veterans finished them off.

My opponent conceded the game, as I was in control of Three objectives, and he had nothing to claim, and no reasonable hope that he could even contest the objectives, as he was down to his Heavy Bolter only Hydra and his non-moving Company Command Squad.

On the whole, I can't say as he set up all that well, shooty Guardsmen shouldn't spread out like he did. He took all the right things to wipe me out, but by going first I neutralized almost half of his army before he had a go. That seems to be a key factor in this sort of matchup, as I'm certain that if he'd gone first I would have had to have deployed much more conservatively, as his piles of Autocannons would have prevented a full on rush.

Flamer / Demo Veterans with Power Fist in a Vendetta was absolutely devestating and pretty much won me the game on it's own. The Missile / Plasma Veterans did exactly what I hoped they'd do, though the Power Fist is probably not necessary in any way.  I wound up moving my Grenade Launcher Veterans every turn, but wouldn't have moved them in any subsequent turns as they made it to an objective and would have set up and fired the rest of the game, so I like the Autocannon there, and the Power Fist for what little counter assault it could muster, supported by my Company Command Squad and a couple of Heavy Flamers. Company Command Squad drew fire, as I suspected it would, and took out a walker that I would have had trouble dealing with, so that's good. It's Heavy Bolter was actually the better weapon in this case, being up against Carapace... made me smile, and the turreted Heavy Flamer would have been bonkers had there been more troops, as I could have rushed in, dropped the Company Command Squad to melta something while the Heavy Flamer turned to toast something else. I like what it does, in my metagame.

I wasn't overly nervous, deploying a Russ on it's own against a gunline list, though would have put it near the Plasma Veterans against a more mobile opponent.

This was an absolutely crushing victory... I only lost a pair of Veterans and a couple of Melta boys from my Company Command Squad. I see now why Mech Veterans is popular! Unfortunately for learning purposes, I was put in a near perfect position for this victory, so it's hard to say that I learned much.

I can say that getting first turn seems to be a fairly important part of the overall strategy, which I say as a joke, of course. I can say that target saturation did not seem that overwhelmingly beneficial, since while I wouldn't take that many Autocannons in a list, I'd often have similar options for dealing with mid AV at range, and if I hadn't taken 3 Autocannon squads out before the game began, I'd have been in much worse shape.

My opponent did not seem to be enjoy the insertion of my fist into his colon. Can't say I was suprised by that, though I reminded him that the last time we'd played we had tied, and then I explained how my win was pretty much hinged on going first, and that there was little he could have done once his boys were down on the table. That seemed to smooth things over a bit. :)

It was fun to play, though much less tactical that I am used to. I now have 4 transports so I think I'll try it again sometime, hopefully getting second turn to try the other side of things.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2012, 01:19:25 PM by GreatBigTree »