News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Interesting team tournament. 2000pts of Necron & Tyranid. Advice wanted.  (Read 433 times)

Offline Lord Alliben

• Ripper
  • jo. Ph34r my l33t skillz. B4x4^2!
    • Alliben's Homepage
My LGS is running a team tourney at the end of June. (The 28th to be exact.) The rules are as follows:

Teams can be any armies allied at 1000 pts each.

Each army must have 1 HQ and 2 Troops. There is an optional 1 Elite, 1 Fast, and 1 Heavy for each player. There's also an additional 1 of anything for the team meaning any player can take an extra heavy or hq or whatever but that player uses up the 1 extra for the team.

3 games in the tournament. Normal scenarios. Victory points.

My little just-turned-12 yr old cousin doesn't really know how to play but loves the models, loves the necrons, and loves to play (when I coach him.) He likes to move the models and roll dice. Lol. Anyway, I figured this could be a friendly tournament where I could involve him and give him a chance to play with "the big kids." Here's what I'm thinking of fielding:

Necrons:
Lord w/Res orb.
8(ish) Immortals
2x 10 man squads of warriors
5(ish) scarab swarms
3-5 Destroyers

My Tyranids:
Winged Tyrant w/ 2x twin-linked devourers and Warp Field
3-4 Warriors w/ twin-linked deathspitters and 1 vc
24-32 Devgaunts
24-32 Hormagaunts
Carnifex w/ 2x twin-linked devourers

This is just a rough estimate of what we may bring to the table. I don't see it doing very well against tank armies but due to the FOC limits I doubt there'll be too many tanks. If there are then I can only hope my tyrant can survive long enough to take care of them...

I know we have the troop killing taken care of. I'm not terribly worried about that. What should I do about vehicles, though? I can't really fit the points in for another carnifex unless I drop a gaunt squad and substitute ripper swarms.

Remaining models:
3 carnifexes
1 hive tyrant
1 tyrant guard
3 zoans
1 ravener
6 warriors
60+ termagants
36 Genestealers
10 Ripper Swarms
16 hormagaunts

Also, I can afford to spend another $100 or so before the tourney on anything I might need. Tips?

Question for a mod:
Can I post this in the Necron forum too? I'm not really sure how to do this as I'm using both armies and want advice from experienced players on both sides. also, I've never used Necrons before. I only posted here first because I have a lot more to work with with my Tyranids.

Offline Velox Letum

• "Swift Annihilation,the only way to show mercy"
Tyrant looks good, would suggest toxin sac's to make the dev's str 5.

Warriors w/death are horrible go ahead and drop them.

Devilgaunts, i'd split the squads into 3 squads of 10, mainly because you dont need the troop slots in a small game and you dont want anything hitting CC with  300 points of gaunts that cant fight for beans. loosing 10 would be much less and it allows you to split up your firepower. 60 shots for instance is overkill against most GEQ squads. The problem is you dont have anything threatening in cc to prevent anyone from just moving forward 6'' and rapidfiring.

Hormogaunts, well you really done have any cc support for these guys and i see them probably getting shot to death, especially as they are your only unit that will ever be in rapidfire range, i'd consider just swaping them for more devgaunts.

Carnifex, solid guessing your running a 2tld,+bs+w setup. Kinda slow though.

Well i'd run devilwarriors tbh, 35 points each and they are pretty solid against just about anything.

Probably be a good idea to use the aditional hq for the nids and grab another devil tyrant.

also since you have a fast attack slot 2xacid mines, 24 points and has a decent chance of popping a tank when they come down.

What you really have to consider is that gaunts will never win in a shootout against marines.

SM 10 man tac squad = 4.5 gaunt kills and 9 in rapidfire

Were as an equal 150 points of devilgaunts = 2.25 marine kills.

What you have to consider is that against marines they generally will get the first turn of shooting against your gaunts. Just because of the range of the guns.

Example:
Your devilgaunts are say 24.1''+' away, so you move them forward and cant shoot. Marines in turn openfire on your gaunts from 24'' away and kill 4.5 of them. So your really looking at an uphill battle here. Because you move forward and pop off your 20 s3 devo shots and cause about 1 wound then the marines move forward and just rapidfire you.

My guess though is that people are going to focus on the necrons exclusively just to force the phaseout. (this is what i would do anyways) This basically means your cousin wont have to much fun as people are "picking on him".

It would probably be more advisable for you to run something genestealer heavy.

Tyrant w/Wings,WF,2TLD,+Str
Lictor x1
Genestealers x8
Genestealers x8
Genestealers x8
Zoanthropes w/ warpblast x3 and synapse x1
Devilfex

Add in some spinegaunts or rippers to fill out the remainder points.

Suddenly your units become a much higher priority, and much more dangerous. Quite a bit more antitank than previously so that should help.

Just remember imitation is the highest form of flattery

Offline Lord Alliben

• Ripper
  • jo. Ph34r my l33t skillz. B4x4^2!
    • Alliben's Homepage
Thanks for the tips. I was considering Genestealers but just wasn't sure yet. I do have a problem, though. I can only have 2 troops choices. The FOC is pretty much set at a max of

1 HQ
2 Troops
1 Elites
1 Fast Attack
1 Heavy Support

And 1 extra anything for the team.

Otherwise I would have maxed out on troop choices like I usually do. I never run a 1500 pt or more battle without all 6 slots full. I would still like to do at least 4 or 5 for my 1000 pt army but I can't. I could get one more troop for a max of three if I took the extra slot but then I'd hate to use that slot just for troops... That's what makes this team tourney weird. Maybe I'll just say screw it and go with my eldar.

Offline Velox Letum

• "Swift Annihilation,the only way to show mercy"
Ah ok thought you had to have at least 2 troops.

Well in that case

Tyrant (same as before)
Broodlord w/reunite
Lictor
Genestealers w/scuttlers
Genestealers w/scuttlers
Gargoyles
Zoanthropes(same as before)

Just use a large reunite (with carapace) and large broods of scuttling genestealers. The gargoyles are actually faster than hormogaunts and will be a nice stare(pretty good damage too) And with the flying tyrant you effectively have an army that can hit hard at your opponents flank.

Would be a good idea to get large units of necrons with that teleport(veil i think?) so you can more or less crush one flank at a time.

I'm faily sure that lictors give preferred enemy to all friendly units in range so it should effect the necrons as well, making them hit on 3+ would be a perk.

Fying rippers could also work well. Since i noticed you dont have any gargs.

Just remember imitation is the highest form of flattery