News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: AoS Open Day Reveals... (Orruk Warclans & Free Cities, Ogors too!!!)  (Read 2329 times)

Offline Myen'Tal

• Lazerous Penguin
AoS Open Day has started off in full swing!

http://www.warhammer-community.com/2019/07/20/the-warhammer-age-of-sigmar-open-day-2019-live-bloggw-homepage-post-1/#gallery-14

So, this is definitely amazing, and I'm beyond hype. I'm so hyped in fact, that I'm not doing that Sisters of Battle army this year most likely. Because now I can build the Aelf armies of my dreams with the old fantasy models that I always wanted to use! Phoenixes, Black Dragons, Black Guard, Sword Masters, Drakespawn, Shadow Warriors, Wildwood Rangers... possibilities are nigh limitless!!!!

So, for Free Cities, you can choose from several different "Free Cities", each which gives you access to different factions and unit types in a number of combinations. Such as Hammerhal Ghyran, which gives you access to Sylvaneth, Kharadron, and Wanderers, that use the same allegiance abilities and etc...

For the Orruk Warclans, it looks like Irongjawz and Bonesplittas have officially signed up for the Great Waaagh together!

Discuss, I know there have to be some happy folks in here!!!!

Now there are some hints at a new Ogor Tome!!! Including s new Tyrant!!!
« Last Edit: July 20, 2019, 07:48:58 AM by Myen'Tal »
JohnMaloneBooks website - Blog #3 - From Novella to Novel

- 5/5 Reader's Favorite Review!

A Sanctum of Swords: Embers Edition is coming soon w/ audiobook!

Offline Wyddr

• Author Eminence: Hereticus Liber Daemonica | Fio'shas Shi
  • Lazerous Penguin
    • My blog about SF/F stuff
  • Armies: Daemons, Imperial Fists, Tau, Ksons, Vostroyans
Re: AoS Open Day Reveals... (Orruk Warclans & Free Cities, Ogors too!!!)
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2019, 01:58:44 PM »
I'm very interested to see what they do with the Free Cities. I'm hoping for a lot of new models. One thing that has always kept me away from making an Empire force is that I just *don't* like the look of the State Troops options. If this is just a re-package of a bunch of random old WHFB models then...meh. Not that stoked. I want something new and interesting.

Offline Myen'Tal

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2019, 02:08:22 PM »
I somewhat feel the same way, but I feel like the majority of aelf models are easier on the eyes than empire state troops. I wish that Spire of Dawn would be released or the models get released separately... makes no sense never to have made any of the new kits available. With Free cities coming out, I feel like the high self kits in that box would sell pretty well, so would the skaven too honestly, since the current ones are much older sculpts.

Offline Lord of Winter and War

• The Cause of Diabetes -Captain- Necrontyr Immortal - KoN Veteran - Master of All Diplomacy | Wi-Fi Nomad |
  • Ancient
  • Armies: Harlequins, Spiderfang, Bonereapers, Space Wolves
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2019, 06:16:40 PM »
Looks like they will be expanding on the free cities allegence rules from the time of war campaign and firestorm. I'm excited, as I was already planning to build an army hailing from the Phonecian.

I don't expect new models, just re-boxing of existing kits. I'm 200% game on for this.
Harlequin Army Blog

That's not blatant, this is blatant: I'm super happy that I'm playing Austria, the greatest nation in all of Diplomacy!

Azore of Austria

Offline Myen'Tal

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2019, 07:35:54 PM »
I'm hoping there's freedom enough that we don't need to add in several different factions to make a city work. I'd like to make a high born, Darkling coven army with this tome!

Offline Sir_Godspeed

• Lazerous Penguin
  • "Bees. My God" was an obscure Batman quote.
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2019, 10:32:51 PM »
Personally, I've always loved the Renaissance/16.cent. look of the Empire, and will be sad if they go - but then again AoS is not my setting of preference, so it hardly matters.

I'm sure they will soon release some new minis with more stylized fantasy looks that look taken right out of a DnD manual or something. They'll look cool, more cartoony but less connected to real world history, if previous race relaunches are anything to go by.

• The Cause of Diabetes -Captain- Necrontyr Immortal - KoN Veteran - Master of All Diplomacy | Wi-Fi Nomad |
  • Ancient
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2019, 08:50:29 AM »
I expect no new models for either of these battletomes. Besides a terrain Peice and spells. Besides kits being re-boxed with round bases.

I'm hoping there's freedom enough that we don't need to add in several different factions to make a city work. I'd like to make a high born, Darkling coven army with this tome!

I'm sure you'll have flexibility. The existing free cities are pretty diverse too.

But, higborn isn't a keyword in the game. That's for Warhammer legends and compendium only, and win be in This book. You'll see order draconis, lion rangers, eldritch council, swifthawk agents etc...

Harlequin Army Blog

That's not blatant, this is blatant: I'm super happy that I'm playing Austria, the greatest nation in all of Diplomacy!

Azore of Austria

Offline Myen'Tal

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2019, 10:10:28 AM »
I'm sure you'll have flexibility. The existing free cities are pretty diverse too.

But, higborn isn't a keyword in the game. That's for Warhammer legends and compendium only, and win be in This book. You'll see order draconis, lion rangers, eldritch council, swifthawk agents etc...

True, I was just saying Highborn to generally refer to them, since there are so many Aelf factions from the highborn range lol.

I really have to see the tome before I start theorizing about what I want to do. It's probably going to be jam packed full of rules.

I hope both tomes go on preorder this weekend. I have a feeling they will, since the limited edition tome is already being shown off on display. We'll see ;D.

• Ancient
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2019, 10:51:18 AM »
It won't be this weekend they go on pre order. They always announce preorders the week before. These will be releases in probably the next few months.

Apparently most of the warscrolls are being updated for aos 2, so I'm excited to see what changes we'll see.
Harlequin Army Blog

Azore of Austria

Offline Changeyname

• Mek| I gotz da loudz WAAAAAAAAAAGH! | Battlefield Orkespondent | Best Modeller | This years Dizz (I lose by choice!)
  • Ancient
  • Wolverine or double Batman.... you decide
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2019, 04:50:56 AM »
I'm more concerned over which of the Order kits left out of the book will be the ones retired entirely...
The Blackest Night falls from the skies,
The darkness grows as all light dies,
We crave your hearts and your demise,
By my black hand--The dead shall rise!

Offline Radec

• Armies: Chaos Daemons, Genestealer Cults (soon, yess soon)
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2019, 03:35:16 PM »
 My guess is that the skycutter faction will likely be left out entirely if they haven't pulled out the white lions for repackaging and are indeed retiring them. One of these kits is the scycutter chariot and the other is the tiranoc chariot.
With white lions being no longer available, the white lion chariot is no longer needed and so can be cut from the range leading to the tiranoc chariot (double kit) leading to the scycutter.

• Ancient
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2019, 09:13:20 PM »
Swifthawk agents are a huge part of the lore, so won't be taken out. But, they do have some models exclusive to the oop Ilse of blood box, which will disappear.

I might expect the thunderer/quarraler box might go. As it's pretty old.

Other than that, maybe Some of the old finecast characters. Like the witch Hunter, or the thousand of warrior priests and free People captains.
Harlequin Army Blog

Azore of Austria

Offline Myen'Tal

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2019, 10:49:21 PM »
Some of the Empire Captains still look pretty solid, though ;D. Especially the one with the hammer and blonde beard!

Offline Radec

« Reply #13 on: August 3, 2019, 04:19:15 AM »
 As I thought , pretty much all of the old high elves range has been marked as last chance to buy on the NZ localization of the site. In half an hour the EU localization will be updated aswell. Bye, bye swifthawk, draconis, rangers and mages  :(

Offline Myen'Tal

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #14 on: August 3, 2019, 08:34:02 AM »
Hi Radec, don't hit the panic button just yet. If these kits are fine cast or plastic, chances are that they're simply being repackaged :). Could be wrong though.

EDIT: Apparently, the last chance buy might be the real thing. Guess we'll just have to wait and see :(.
« Last Edit: August 3, 2019, 09:52:48 AM by Myen'Tal »

Offline Radec

« Reply #15 on: August 3, 2019, 11:45:45 AM »
Yeah, I suspected so about an year and a half ago and bought one of each of the kits I wanted from the official store since the distributors ceased to offer them even further back in time. I hope that some will be released again in the future (the sky chariot is an especially superb model)

Offline Sir_Godspeed

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #16 on: August 4, 2019, 09:28:56 PM »
I'm still not entirely certain how AoS factions even work... does this mean that for example Swifthawk whatevers will be entirely gone as a "range" (meaning that they might have rules for a while forward, but will never receive their own army book or new models until being phased completely out), or do people expect new ranges for these?

Offline Wyddr

• Author Eminence: Hereticus Liber Daemonica | Fio'shas Shi
  • Lazerous Penguin
    • My blog about SF/F stuff
  • Armies: Daemons, Imperial Fists, Tau, Ksons, Vostroyans
« Reply #17 on: August 5, 2019, 10:03:31 AM »
I'm still not entirely certain how AoS factions even work... does this mean that for example Swifthawk whatevers will be entirely gone as a "range" (meaning that they might have rules for a while forward, but will never receive their own army book or new models until being phased completely out), or do people expect new ranges for these?

I'm not really sure the Swifthawk Agents ever really rose to the level of "faction." They were just an arbitrary grouping of old WHFB models that were running on a set of loose, provisional rules.

Personally, I'm bummed to see the High Elves getting slashed like this, since I've always loved those models and that aesthetic. I really hope the Realm of Light gets a new faction of elf-y looking guys riding giant eagles and dragons and such, because that is badass.

But looks more like Cities of Sigmar is going to be an army of cannons and halberdiers in their pajamas with the occasional dwarf.   

Offline Myen'Tal

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #18 on: August 5, 2019, 02:14:49 PM »

I'm not really sure the Swifthawk Agents ever really rose to the level of "faction." They were just an arbitrary grouping of old WHFB models that were running on a set of loose, provisional rules.

Personally, I'm bummed to see the High Elves getting slashed like this, since I've always loved those models and that aesthetic. I really hope the Realm of Light gets a new faction of elf-y looking guys riding giant eagles and dragons and such, because that is badass.

But looks more like Cities of Sigmar is going to be an army of cannons and halberdiers in their pajamas with the occasional dwarf.   

Wouldn't go that far, there are still lots of different kits to be included in Free Cities, but I do agree with you that it blows to lose so many models at once.

Wildwood Rangers, Eternal Guard, Wild Riders, Sisters of Thorn, Shadow Warriors, Sisters of the Watch, all of the Dark Elves range aside from Witch Aelves, Phoenix Guard, Phoenixes, longbeards, hammers, irondrakes, ironbreakers, demigryph knights, greatswords, general / mage on griffon...

There's still a lot of good stuff in there. How it'll work exactly though, I'm not completely sure. Guess we'll have to wait and see, I can see though that a lot of people are already disgruntled by the loss of a good amount of models, some of which were absolutely surprising. Guess it cannot be helped.

Offline Sir_Godspeed

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #19 on: August 7, 2019, 09:38:57 PM »

That makes sense.

I suspect that the Realm of Light Elves will reappear not so much with the classic High Elf style, but a more exaggerated, stylistic high-concept design, if previous "new" factions are anything to go by.