News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Veteran Sarg upgrade on infantry squads  (Read 1815 times)

Offline BrotherTerran

• good, bad, I'm the kitty with the gun
Veteran Sarg upgrade on infantry squads
« on: May 15, 2007, 04:23:05 PM »
ok I was curious to see how many people actually upgrade their sargs on infrantry and what do you give them?

I personally have not, mainly because I don't see any point.  Thus, why I'm posing the question.  Thoughts, comments, cries of outrage are welcome
"Its the thought that counts, but the results that matter"

Offline Sheepz

• Marshal: The beatings will continue until discipline improves!
  • Ancient
  • Getting away with murder.
Re: Veteran Sarg upgrade on infantry squads
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2007, 04:28:52 PM »
I just Veteran Sergeants on my Light Infantry. My reasoning is thus.

Veteran Sarge provides +1 Attack and LD
Squad may well move out of Command Bubble due to the nature of the army.

For 6 points, the attack and the insurance of LD8 even outside a Command Bubble is reassuring. I'd never take one in a static army, since he shouldn't get outside the command bubble, or charge.

I usually give them Laspistol and CCW. However a couple I'm giving shotguns, and 1 per Platoon has a Bolt Pistol because the models with them are awesome.

Offline Imperial Kelly

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2007, 04:33:30 PM »
i too often do it on my infiltrating Light Infantry squads.  I usually just give them a bolter and a surveyor.

Offline Major. Witham

• Major
  • 'Sound off like you got a pair!'
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2007, 04:45:47 PM »
With Storm Troops its not an issue. When I used standard Guard, It was something that I would almost always avoid.

I cant appreciate the advantage to light infantry or any other unit that operates away from the leadership bubbles, but for most units its an extravagence that can be completely avoided.

If youre looking for a leadership boost, it may well work out cheaper and more effective to adopt a vox network.
"Sir! Looks like were surrounded!"

"Were Drop Troops soldier - Were supposed to be surrounded!"

Offline Chosen Man

• Princeps Maximus, Swarmlord, High Lord of Rummy's Privy due to Pissing Him Off, Pookie noobkin, Now 5% less organic
  • Ancient
  • Yes my other car is an AT-AT....
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2007, 05:02:20 PM »
I agree anything that floats out of the leadership bubble gets Vet when I can afford it. With Elysians, its a handy upgrade since then I can get an underslung grenade launcher for the points. With my Praetorians I usually move them with the command squad, so I don't need them as much. With D-99 I give it to all my line units, its fun to run around with a boltpistol and power weapon. As for load out when I field them, it depends on the mission the squad is performing. Shooty squads might get a Bolter added to that Vet Sgt, or a lasgun with underslung grenade launcher, my assault squads(D-99) Boltpistol or Laspistol and a Power Weapon. I try to keep my vet sgts cheap when I can...
"Follow me if I advance! Kill me if I retreat! Avenge me if I die!" -Tactica Imperium

Rynnsguard HQ: My Imperial Blog

Anarchy's Heart: My Alpha Legion Blog

Offline Talon Undecided

• Full Bird Colonel; Old School Necron Hunter Adept; Best Painted Rough Riders
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • kweh!
  • Armies: Astra Militarum, Evil Blood Ravens, AdMech
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2007, 06:00:37 PM »
I take them only for Hardened Veteran Squads. Infiltrating Infantry Squads will be covered by an inifiltrating Junior Officer Squad, and the rest of my army would be under the Officer's cover. Besides, I want to be under the cover for Iron Discipline.

Also, I'll prefer to take a vox network in higher point games.
Imperial Guard Poster of the year '09!
Good golly that was ages ago.

Astra what now?

Offline BrotherTerran

• good, bad, I'm the kitty with the gun
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2007, 07:29:24 PM »
so basically they are for LD purposes if they are operating outside a leadership bubble like a light infantry docrtine or armoured fist squad.  Ok, thanks wasn't sure if there was a tactic I was missing.  The surveyor on infiltrating squads I'm a fan of ever since I met Chaos. 
"Its the thought that counts, but the results that matter"

Offline Ailaros

• Why do the poutiest guys get the biggest guns?
    • my webpage
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2007, 07:50:07 PM »
I don't take them at all, as a single vet upgrade is roughly as expensive as a special weapon, and two is roughly as expensive as a heavy weapon. I'd rather spend the points on more firepower.

That being said, the only time I'd consider adding a vet sarge is in a squad that I want to have a particularly heavy ammount of firepower (for whatever reason). In this case, I'd consider taking a vet with a storm bolter (2 special weapons and one heavy) or a ccw + plasma pistol (which, actually, I'd never do).

Otherwise, I'd consider it if I wanted something particularly nasty and surprising, like giving one a macharian cross, or something.

Visit my My Battle Report Archive.
Winner of the 2007 "Best Writer of Articles", "Strategic Excellence", and "Imperial Guard Poster of the Year" awards.

Offline Archon_Yggdrisil

• That....was METAL!
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2007, 09:30:20 PM »
I don't take them because I need everything to be a multiple of 5 or 10. I get OCD about my lists. 6 points is just irritating.

Life is not measured by the moments in which we breath. Life is measured by the moments that take our breath away. -Carlin

Offline Chico

• Come to Chaos.... We have Cookies!
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2007, 07:27:22 AM »
I take them on every Inf squad i take, its all well and good saying that your command squads will always be in range to form that nice little bubble.. but it never happens as planned.

My Op's know that CS's are easy to kill and easy VP's and even when hidden (which is most of the time) seem to draw alot firepower. They don't last more then half the game.

So that extra Ld in my squads come in hady every game without fail. And with 6 IS for 3 CS unless you plan to bunch up and welcome those pie plates your going to have to move out of that bubble.
HERSEY BEGETS RETRIBUTION!

Looking to buy all Rogue Trader era Chaos Marines/Renegades, Message me if your selling.

Offline PaxImperator

• Staff Officer; Imperium Extraordinarius
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2007, 09:16:41 AM »
My Op's know that CS's are easy to kill and easy VP's and even when hidden (which is most of the time) seem to draw alot firepower. They don't last more then half the game.

If your hidden command squad is getting shot at, chances are that it is not a hidden command squad.

Me, I do well enough with command squads for leadership in my run-off-the-mill infantry company, no veteran sergeants needed. I as well am of the opinion that veteran sergeants are only needed for squads that venture out of command radius. Typically that's not many.

Offline Sheepz

• Marshal: The beatings will continue until discipline improves!
  • Ancient
  • Getting away with murder.
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2007, 09:29:59 AM »
On Sarges vs Voxes, though, it is often cheaper to use Veteran Sarges. They cost only 1 point more than a Vox, but a Master Vox more than makes up for this 1point if you take it. Indeed, a Command Master Vox, AF vox, 2 Squads vox and a Command Section vox means you end up spending 40 points, IIRC, on vox links for the bare minimum of an army (HQ and 2 Troops), while a 3 Veteran Sarges would be 18 points. Although they'd only be LD8, rather than the 9/10 you may get with a HQ.

Still, like I said, I'd never take them on anything but infiltrators or AF Squads. I expect these to be outside command bubbles, (or in the case of my Light Infantry, Command Sections often get shot). In static line infantry, I'd never take them. Ever.

Offline Chico

• Come to Chaos.... We have Cookies!
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2007, 01:24:31 PM »

If your hidden command squad is getting shot at, chances are that it is not a hidden command squad.

Well when you 2 most common foes uses more indirect fire then you can shake a stick at, hidden is never hidden.

Vet Sarg = Do it! do it now! :)
HERSEY BEGETS RETRIBUTION!

Looking to buy all Rogue Trader era Chaos Marines/Renegades, Message me if your selling.

Offline Droofus

• Ork Boy
  • It is YOU who will suffer greatly!
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2007, 03:08:37 PM »
I never take V sarges on infantry squads.   The expense is small, but the output is even smaller.  On the other hand, I've heard of people use it effectively in a close order drill army, though I've never seen it in action.
\

Offline Andro Ist Keine Schwedischen

• Da Biggest; His Fluffiness; Warboss
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2007, 03:14:41 PM »
Veteran Sergeants combined with Close Order Drill means Ld9 squads without having to worry about Leadership bubbles.  It's especially useful for Drop Troops, I've found.

Though it's doubtful I'd give them any upgrades.

~Andromidius
aka. Boris the Bear