News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: 40k by region  (Read 1058 times)

Offline orksforthewin

• Orks luv puppies, there low in fat
40k by region
« on: May 7, 2010, 12:01:00 PM »
Just wondering what the preferred games workshop hobby is in different areas. I am on the east coast and everywhere i go it appears 40k players outnumber fantasy and other systems almost 10 to 1. But when i talk to suppliers they talk of areas where the reverse is true...does anybody else feel that fantasy only attains the kind of popularity that 40k has in european countries?

Offline Lt_PliskinAJ

• Captain
  • Thousands of troops one goal.
  • Armies: IG, DKOK, TAU, SM
Re: 40k by region
« Reply #1 on: May 7, 2010, 12:38:49 PM »
I know in the north Texas area it seems 40k is larger then fantasy and in south east Texas its the opposite it seems that fantasy is king. I think it mainly depends on what events get on their feet first. Say games workshop starts up in a new region, its never been there before. All 3 lines would be fighting to get players. Once one of the three (40k, fantasy, and LOTR) gets say 3-4 players that play often that line would grow much faster because people know they can get a game.

I know in south east Texas most of the people that played 40k worked shift work and could maybe play once every 3-4 weeks while the fantasy players were there every weekend. I a college 40k player was there every weekend but the rest of the 40k player seemed to never be able to meet for a game. While I was down there I was tempted to restart my empire army just so I could play a game.
« Last Edit: May 7, 2010, 12:45:29 PM by Lt_PliskinAJ »

Offline NewHeretic

• Same Heretic, New God | Ork Boy
« Reply #2 on: May 7, 2010, 03:36:20 PM »
I've played in NE Missouri, SE Iowa, Los Angeles, and San Francisco.  Everywhere that I have had the chance to visit GW stores, LGSs, and clubs, 40k players are in the vast majority.

NewHeretic
Good advice from Joshua:

Choose you this day
Whom you will serve...
As for me and my house,
We will serve the Lord.

NewHeretic, forum policeman.

Offline darrelltmcd

• olay
« Reply #3 on: May 7, 2010, 04:03:31 PM »
scotland has a good 50:50 mix of fantasy and 40k. but there are more fantasy tournies. and lots more blood bowl tournies in britain.

northern Ireland has a lot of 40k players. has its fair share of fantasy too. but probably more 40k.

Darrell

Offline Simondo

« Reply #4 on: May 7, 2010, 04:46:29 PM »
South U.K has an overwelming majority favouring 40k, but its starting to pick up a bit with the imminent new edition.