News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: The unofficial Ork wishlisting thread  (Read 2223 times)

Offline OD from TV

• Ork Warlord | Title of Doom status: pending | KoN Veteran
  • Lazerous Penguin
    • OD's Project Blog
The unofficial Ork wishlisting thread
« on: March 25, 2013, 09:59:11 PM »
Since I've noticed more than a few of us wishlisting (and various rumormills being all over the place on when the new Orks are coming), I figured why not put it all in one thread so we can leave all the other ones clean and free of wishlisting.  Please feel free to discuss wishlisting wants or "for the love of god don'ts" here. 
To leave room for other contributors to the thread I ask that you make no more than 3 ideas/suggestions/wishlisting wants per post (remember to follow proper posting protocol and not to double post or break forum rules).  Oh and please don't make me get a Runtherda to gather up people who wishlist in other threads.

To start the wishlisting thread I'll post my 3 ideas...
  • Bring back the 3rd Edition Choppa rules.
Choppas don't need a set AP value, but if the 3rd Edition save modifying Choppas return, it'd show the Orks true Strength without needing to modify their existing stat line, make Terminators scared of Slugga mobs again, and make the choice between Sluggas or Shootas the tough choice that it used to be.  Furthermore it would make Trukk mobs more viable as the survivors post Overwatch will be more deadly.
  • Bring Back 3rd Edition Mob Up rules
Similarly to the old Choppa I'm not going to post what the rules were (you can look up the old codex for that), but it would help the Orks considerably, especially for Footsloggers.  Instead of just running off the field, they could Mob Up and still make a healthy contribution to the overall fighting effectiveness.  It's fluffy, used to exist, the unit would still give away a Kill Points, and it benefits all Orks in a way that Waaagh should.  Additionally it's worth noting that the OoP Apocalypse Reload book had a datasheet titled "Da Green Tide" which had a rule very similar to the 3rd Edition Mob Up.
  • Bring in IA8's Mekboy Junka or Big Trakk
Do standard Ork armies need another tank?  Well I think so, Looted tanks are... well daft, especially when we can now do what we used to in 3rd Edition and use another codex's tank just painted up in Orky standards with the drawback of having to take an allied HQ and troop choice.  The Junka or Big Trakk would be excellent as a standard codex unit, both of which are highly customizable (in loadouts and konverzion opportunities), both are approximately a Predator in deadlyness, and both force the player to make the tough choice between a heavy weapon or troop transport.
Additionally both could be easily boxed and sold as a "new" kit using existing models with an extra sprue or two (the Junka as a Rhino mod, and the Big Trakk as a Trukk mod).  Also worth noting is that the Flakka guns are already an option for the existing rules on the Big Trakk, which are by the way the Orks only real anti Flyer gun, a real necessity in what is increasingly becoming a crowded sky.

So those are my 3, what's yours?

Peace
~OD
« Last Edit: March 26, 2013, 03:56:52 AM by OD from TV »
Truly beautiful work. That's the kind of stuff that makes a true mekanik cry tears of joy.
OD, you once again prove that your are still the freakin Da Vinci of plasticard

Offline Spectral Arbor

• Major
  • Thanks for the help.
Re: The unofficial Ork wishlisting thread
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2013, 12:33:40 AM »
1: Well, to take a cue from the Eldar wishlisting thread, I'd wish that Choppas had Rending. It's simple, clean, and a benefit against all save values, not just MEQ+.

2: I would wish for a point drop for 'ard boyz, and to have the 0-1 increased to 0-3, or to be rid of the limit alltogether. I think it's a bummer that if you want to footslog, you need to take a Mek with Force Field.

3: I hope they don't go for army-wide FNP, of any value. That's a Necron thing, and doesn't seem right with the Orks. They're tough, but they still feel pain. Just not the same way the weedier races do. :)

Offline angel of death 007

• Dreadbash Warboss | KoN Veteran
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2013, 01:13:31 AM »
- Waaagh rule  on the turn the orks Waaagh they gain FNP (6+) or move up a number if they already have FNP one notch.  Nobs with FNP from a painboy at 4+  This would bring back the planned charges and a little more strategy as our waagh now is useless.

-Ditch the glory hog rule so our rokkit boyz might be able to do something. 

-give flashgitz some true heavy weapons  more along the stat line of missile lauchers or lascannon type stats

-flakka trax because we need some skyfire love

-extend the KFF range to 12" 

-bring in the fighta bomba, so we get a more versatile jet.

-mega dread as a heavy option

-HQ option that lets us take one elite squad as troops

-big traxx as a transport option / big gun option.....  or revamp the looted wagon... I think the big traxx already does this nicely.

-ability to take a burna as an option for every 10 boyz (like big shoota or rokkit)

Offline Kogtoof

• Mek Boy
  • WotW-Ork Elite: Mekboy with Big shoota
  • Armies: Da Orkz
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2013, 01:39:42 PM »
bring in the fighta bomba, so we get a more versatile jet.

mega dread as a heavy option

flakka trax because we need some skyfire love
These are already 40k approved FW units so you can use them.

personally i like the book we have right now, my ork list has yet to lose in 6th. that being siad I like the sound of some of the new units I have heard about (belchas, grot gliders, helecopter transport, squig launcher, etc.) I would like to see a 5+ or 6+ invul to mega armor and the ability to take mega armor nobs as troops. i would also like to see them keep most of the stuff they already have in the book as I really like it and dont want it to change too much.

Offline MekEad

• Burna Boy
  • Gork and Mork FTW
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2013, 04:00:12 PM »
1] Burna Boyz used to have 2*D6 armour penetration when using their burnas in close combat vs vehicles.  They should get some form of extra AP.  They cut up vehicles in the fluff.

2] Any Flash Gitz has the option to take a big shoota at no extra point cost.  They would be a great support unit.

3] Changing the Waaagh! to give da Boyz options for Assault or Shooting (but not both).  Assault is Fleet AND Assault Grenades (they yell real loud) OR Shooting would be double the normal number of shots with Shootas or Big Shootas only, and potentially affect the number of Overwatch shots in your opponent's turn as well.
"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended for us to forego their use."
Galileo Galilei

Offline OD from TV

• Lazerous Penguin
    • OD's Project Blog
Re: The (un)official Ork wishlisting thread
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2013, 05:51:24 PM »
Hmm... my post last night isn't here.  Yeah computer fail.

Anyway I'm glad there's already so many great replies, some of which I'd like to put my input on...

2: I would wish for a point drop for 'ard boyz, and to have the 0-1 increased to 0-3, or to be rid of the limit alltogether. I think it's a bummer that if you want to footslog, you need to take a Mek with Force Field.
Ard Boyz did use to be an Elites choice, and you don't need them or a KFF to footslogg.  It would be easier to be successful with a Footslogger force if they all had the Armor at a more reasonable cost although truth be told if it weren't for the 0-1 restriction or the hefty price tag I'd probably load them up in Trukks or Wagons.  Honestly I think this very reason is why they were given the restriction, nevertheless it seems rather daft, especially when you read other codex's and see it's the only unit in a codex from the 5th Edition era with such a restriction.  Here's hoping that's gonna get changed!

-Ditch the glory hog rule so our rokkit boyz might be able to do something. 
I can't think of any other Special Rule that has anywhere near the hatred level or debilitating factor than Glory Hogs.  I understand why the rule was crafted, I mean cheesy powergamers would have abused 3 full mobz in Wagons to instakill Marines left and right, but despite that I still rail against the rule, and would much rather have the unit limited to a handful of Rokkit Launchas without being subject to Glory Hogs.  I can honestly say that at least 90% of Ork players have wanted that rule written out since day 1 of the current dex.

-give flashgitz some true heavy weapons  more along the stat line of missile lauchers or lascannon type stats
Any Flash Gitz has the option to take a big shoota at no extra point cost.  They would be a great support unit.
Either would be great, although AoD's idea of making them into an Orky equivelent to the SM/CSM Devastators/Havocs has me personally up in hopes of konverting up some Mek'ead supa weapons the equivalent of Lascannons or Missile Launchers.

-mega dread as a heavy option
With certain rumors that have popped up about Tau, as well as the production of Grey Knights Dreadknight 2 years ago, I'd say its a strong possibility of some sort of Orky thing on the Oval bases will come out.  If it's a Mega/Meka 2 in 1 kit I know I'd be a happy Mek working my konversion magic best I can.  Plus there are a few kits that wouldn't do too badly with some Orkification into a Megadread.

I like the sound of some of the new units I have heard about (belchas, grot gliders, helecopter transport, squig launcher, etc.)
The Helicopter transport is a Warkopta, sometimes known as the Chinnork, which is the name of the Forgeworld model Warkopta.  The rules for it are in IA8, although at the moment I can't find a FAQ updating it for 6th Edition's HP system.  It's a lot like an Ork Valkyre actually, just minus the Flyer status (unless of course that's granted by the FAQ I can't find).  I haven't heard of Grot Gliders before (well not in 40k, Fantasy yes), but I believe that the squig launcha was an earlier form of the Lobba, and I think the belcha was one of the 2nd Edition and/or Epic Ork tanks.

1] Burna Boyz used to have 2*D6 armour penetration when using their burnas in close combat vs vehicles.  They should get some form of extra AP.  They cut up vehicles in the fluff.
I completely agree with you, they should have some sort of Armor Pen bonus, maybe not as high as it was in 3rd when we have access to a unit full of them (which in likely probability is why that rule was dropped).

And now a few more wishlist idears of my own...
  • a downed Rok or Ork fortress similar to the Fortress of Redemption
Roks were originally in the fluff giant space asteroids hollowed out and retrofitted to become makeshift spacecraft protecting the rear guard of Ghaz's fleet for his 2nd invasion of Armaggeddon, and when used as planetary weapons the Roks that survive entry become Ork command centers.  While Roks could easily today be written in as clone Drop Pods, I think that'd be a waste, not to mention a lackluster retcon, but if it were to be designed similar to the Fortress of Redemption it could be an amazing set piece for battles, not to mention one that could be easily looted by Tyranid or Chaos players.
I'd also be willing to settle for just a Fortress of sorts, I mean they're used to be an Ork fortress which was detailed card, nothing's stopping GW from re-releasing it, I know I'd buy it, maybe even more than 3.  It just isn't going to happen, is it?

• Gretchen special teams, maybe even a real GRC
Okay maybe this one's even more of a stretch on the "never gonna happen" scale than Ork terrain being released, but hope can still live strong for advocates of the Gretchen Revolutionary Committee.  Right?  Anyone know what I'm talking about?  For those who don't, the GRC was a good chunk of fluff and one of the forces you could pick in GorkaMorka, basically they were communist Grots that were fighting to overthrow their Ork oppressors.  They even had their own vehicles, the windpowered Cutta and the fanblade powered Trukk equivelent the Big Lugga.  I'm not saying they need those things, but some versatility or extra Grot Types would be great.
Grot Snipers for example, or maybe Grot suicide bombers who could run into the enemy and detonate a blast similar to Bombsquigs.  Gretchen in the fluff are supposedly even more numerous then the Orks and actually run all the day to day ops of the Ork race, if they can't have GRC type stuff they should at least be more visible on the field is all I'm saying.

Okay I know my other two wishlisting ideas in this post are insane and maybe even sound like a whining entitled [expletive deleted].  But its a wishlisting thread, and I hold no illusions that the previous two would or could happen.  I mean I'm not writing the codex after all, and if I was well the codex itself would probably hold a metric [expletive deleted] ton of stuff with probably too many options.  But my next point is one that I believe is important.

• No Fluff Retcon
Seriously.  Don't make the Orks go back to being marsupials like they were in 2nd Edition, don't make Orks into a united people, don't write the clans or Freebooters out, just leave the fluff as it is.  The only fluff change I'd be cool with is maybe making it clear if they came from the Brainboyz or from the Old Ones, but even then it's probably best to leave that as a who knows for certain discussion.  Let the Orks stay Orks, crazy, zany, warfare thriving, toof hording, speed loving, spore shedding, Gretchen Kicking Orks!

Peace
~OD[/list]
Truly beautiful work. That's the kind of stuff that makes a true mekanik cry tears of joy.

Offline Kogtoof

• Mek Boy
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2013, 06:06:28 PM »
The Helicopter transport is a Warkopta, sometimes known as the Chinnork, which is the name of the Forgeworld model Warkopta.  The rules for it are in IA8, although at the moment I can't find a FAQ updating it for 6th Edition's HP system.  It's a lot like an Ork Valkyre actually, just minus the Flyer status (unless of course that's granted by the FAQ I can't find).  I haven't heard of Grot Gliders before (well not in 40k, Fantasy yes), but I believe that the squig launcha was an earlier form of the Lobba, and I think the belcha was one of the 2nd Edition and/or Epic Ork tanks.

I know that one but im talking about the rumored grot one.

Offline OD from TV

• Lazerous Penguin
    • OD's Project Blog
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2013, 09:14:50 PM »
In that case Kogtoof you've given me something to start scouring the interwebs for, because none of the 40k rumors I've read thus far this year make any mention of a Grot Glider that is coming to mind, not even the believed "leak list" of new 40k minis that I've seen had a Grot Glider listed.  I'll have to do some investigating on that one.

Peace
~OD

Offline Kogtoof

• Mek Boy
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2013, 12:26:23 PM »
In that case Kogtoof you've given me something to start scouring the interwebs for, because none of the 40k rumors I've read thus far this year make any mention of a Grot Glider that is coming to mind, not even the believed "leak list" of new 40k minis that I've seen had a Grot Glider listed.  I'll have to do some investigating on that one.

Peace
~OD

Faeit 212: Warhammer 40k News and Rumors: New Ork Units and HQs Will be Coming

Offline adamscurr

• Mega Armored Biker Boss
  • Armies: Evil Sunz, Crimson Fists
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2013, 02:08:13 PM »
Ok, I'll bite...

I'd like to see the NOBZ become one entry...  Then you have a couple options...  You can upgrade the entire squad to MANZ or Flash Gitz, but still be able to take options like waaagh bannas and docs...

It's rumored, but I'd like to see some Telyporta options...  It would be nice to have some DSing capability...  These are also in line with the fluff...

I'd like to see an AP on Choppas...  Nothing crazy...  But like a 5+ and 4+ on the charge would be nice...  Big choppas could have a 4+ and 3+ on the charge.  I don't think this would unbalance the game and would add some nice punch and some reasons to take the Big Choppa over the power klaw... 

Adam 

Cause We's Da Orks, and You's Not!!!

Offline Ork E Nuff

• Ork Boy
  • 'ere WE go, 'ere WE go, 'ere WE go!!!!!
  • Armies: Orks, SM (occassionally)
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2013, 06:09:45 PM »
I agree with several of you...bring back the old choppa rules.  When we lost those, my opponents never cringed when we got into close combat.  Mob up would be nice.  How about the looted vehicle as it was meant to be?  Not a tank chasis with a boomgun, but a leman russ was a leman russ, driven and crewed by orcs.  Some of the vehicle options from IA8, without model support for 2 more years.  If you model support it, are we looking at junkers having to be rhino bodies with battlewagon bitz added on?  Hope not.
Blood n Guts is nuffin more dan bio-d-gradible axle grease.....Remember, that which does not kill you, will only try harder the next time...I've named me attack squig "Skippy"....is that wrong?

Offline CheesyRobMan

• Burna Mek
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2013, 12:57:53 AM »
I hope they release the AoBR Deffkoptas as a box.
"Where's the kaboom? There was supposed to be an earth-shattering kaboom!" - Marvin the Martian