News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Try to play Orks as defense line, what do you think  (Read 1343 times)

Offline Nobbla

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
Try to play Orks as defense line, what do you think
« on: January 23, 2013, 05:35:27 AM »
Try to play Orks as defense line, what do you think

I decided to try to play orks as a defense line with help of some IG support units. Forge World stuff are allowed and the strategy build around the Mekboy Junka (I plan to use two, but so far I have only had time to convert one).
The idea is basically to hold back for two turns and letting the artillery do the job, then on turn three, advance with both battlewagons and Junka and capture or nullifying objectives on the opponents half of the table. 
The army is as follows, starting with the IG allays.

Company Command Squad
      Heavy Weapons Team, Lascannon
   Command Squad
      2 Grenade Launcher
   Infantry Squad 1
      Grenade Launcher
      Autocannon
   Infantry Squad 2
      Grenade Launcher
      Autocannon
   Heavy Weapons Squad 1
      3 Lascannon
   Manticore   
   Vendetta
   Aegis Defence Lines
      Icarus Lascannon
   Boss
      mega armour
20   Boyzs
      Nob
      Bosspole
      PK
   Battlewagon
      Red paint
      ram
      Big shota
18   Boyzs
      Nob
      Bosspole
      PK
   Battlewagon
      Big shota
      ram
   mekboy Junka
      2 Grot Bomms
      3 Big shootas
      deff rolla
4   Nobs
      2 big choppa
      1 PK
      Bosspole
2   Big Gunz, Kannon
      3 ammo runts
      1 extra crew

This ends up to 1600 poins.
What do you think of this tatics and of the list?
Thanks’ for answers!

Offline SKEETERGOD

• Infinity Circuit | Boss Orkountant | I used Flash Gitz and didn't lose! | KoN Warlord
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • The best upgrade for an ork, is more orks!
  • Armies: Hmmmm.... Orks?
Re: Try to play Orks as defense line, what do you think
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2013, 11:14:36 AM »
I would drop the nob squad to get spare points, then give the battle wagons four rockits each and add a third gun to the big gun squad.

The BWs can move and still shoot all four rockits with just a minor loss of ballistic skill, and since you are planning to sit still (shudder) for two turns and slug it out then your four rockits will deliver more fire power.

You didn't specify, but just in case you didn't take shoota boys make both squads of boys shoota boys. Sitting in open top BWs they can all shoot, and all those shots will cause enough damage to maybe keep the BWs from getting assaulted.

I have tried orks as defensive force, and it did not seem to work well for me. The best defense for an ork army is a good offense, but you can try it as your IG allies may be able to save your bacon.
"It needs but one foe to breed a war. And even those who have not swords can still die upon them" (Lady Eowyn)
     We orks are not about being the hero; We orks are about being the mob.

Quote from: angel of death 007
Skeetergod: (adj) A crazy fascination for all things combustible mixed with an unhealty lust for red paint. see also Speed Freak

Offline adamscurr

• Mega Armored Biker Boss
  • Armies: Evil Sunz, Crimson Fists
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2013, 03:13:43 PM »
See...  If I was going to build a sit back army...  I think I'd go for shoota boyz on foot...  You could move them up into some cover about mid board and unload on targets, daring someone to assault them and  Besides, 30 boyz in cover are hard to shift! 

You have a lot spent on IG...  Which is good for shooting...  Orks have some decent shooting too in the form of lootas and my new personal favorite, a flakka big trakk with 6 lootas on board...  It really puts out some serious firepower and can bag fliers to boot!

Adam

Cause We's Da Orks, and You's Not!!!

Offline Ork E Nuff

• Ork Boy
  • 'ere WE go, 'ere WE go, 'ere WE go!!!!!
  • Armies: Orks, SM (occassionally)
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2013, 08:13:22 PM »
Nobbla....The best defense is a good(no...a GREAT) offensive.   It's Waaaaagghhh!!! with a big "W", not a little one.  Don't let your IG allies religate your orks to a background, supporting role...it just ain't right I tells ya....Having said that, look at tailoring a list that will actually support, something with lootas, lobbas, pulsa rokkits, and shock attack gunz in it...If you're the supporting role, don't waste too many points on scoring units, you probably won't get to the fight anyway.
Blood n Guts is nuffin more dan bio-d-gradible axle grease.....Remember, that which does not kill you, will only try harder the next time...I've named me attack squig "Skippy"....is that wrong?