News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: 1750 pure khorne CSM  (Read 10715 times)

Offline ReaperGrim

• BFTMFBG!!!
Re: 1750 pure khorne CSM
« Reply #60 on: February 25, 2012, 01:27:52 PM »
Not too sure about the rules for Doom, but despite being fearless everything in Tarrin's list is Ld 10 so I can't see it being a game ender based off Ld checks.  But again, I'm unfamiliar with the rules for Doom so I could be way off base haha.
The world will look up and shout "Save us!", and I will whisper "No..."
"The Sons of Slaughter" death toll:
             W/L/D - 23/5/3

Offline enlg

• I like editing stuff.
« Reply #61 on: February 25, 2012, 06:21:41 PM »
^The doom on average deals .5 wounds to a squad with leadership 10 (3 x 3.5 average roll of a D6).

-Bad luck could leave you sad when facing a prime, but if your meltaguns or powerfists hit the Doom, you will be fine. The main problem you will have is its template, which should really mess up infantry.

This list will also have trouble with Leman Russ Executioners. I faced two of them in a Guard Army and they were painful.

Offline Wyrmnax

• SPAMMER: Copyright? What's that?
« Reply #62 on: February 27, 2012, 11:41:22 AM »
The list is very characterful, yes. But how exactly do you plan to dismount the enemy from their transports so your berserkers can melee them?

Your list lacks the ability to stop or take down enemy transports at range so your zerkers can engage in melee, and a smart oponent will be able to keep most of his transports away from melee with your zerkers, since they aren't stopped.

5th edition is the mech edition. You really need a good plan on how to deal with mechanized armies.

Offline Shas'Oink

• Sky Ray Pimp Daddy | Infinity Circuit | Ban me, I dare you! | The Fallen didn't fall, they were pushed. | Winner of the 2008 40K Online Longest Title Competition, awarded again with oak leaves, five years and running | Now with O:nkling! | Axe
  • Ancient
  • 87% sure I'm straight
    • oinks overambitious terrain project(s)
« Reply #63 on: February 27, 2012, 12:13:38 PM »
You are right to a degree, but I'd challenge you to avoid 50odd mad rampaging khorne bezerkers! You can't... the list would work because whilst a clever opponent might be able to avoid, 8, or 16 zerkers coming at them... no amount of brains will let you avoid a carpet of 50!!!

At that point an opponent has to think... if they stay in their transport then they risk getting surrounded and killed because they can't deploy when their transport finally does go down... remember that even without all those concealed power fists, there are krak grenades OR a sheer volume of S4 attacks...

Offline Tarrin the Space Marine

• Sullied Smug
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • It's ok to be scared...
« Reply #64 on: February 27, 2012, 01:44:06 PM »
S5 remember. The core of this force has furious charge making those fists nasty on vehicles. There are also meltaguns in there and Kharn is lethal against tanks.

As Oink said you are right to a degree but you also have to remember that this list is mostly fearless making its scoring units very tough. I only need one guy per unit to survive to score. Relying on tank weapons only is not going to shift 64 marines in a game (unless they have a stack of battle cannons and even then cover is my friend) so infantry is going to have to get involved at some point.

I am well aware of the flaws of this list but at the same time its designed to be exactly what it is: a close combat, short range force. Its also a lot faster than you think. I want it to be this way.  If i wanted to have long range stuff i could have squeezed some long range havocs in...

Sometimes its not about optimising a list, its about putting the fear in your opponent so he has to bring the fight to you and fight you on his terms. Its also more of a challenge this way :-)

However, everything about Tarrin is unfair and should be sanctioned with extreme prejudice.

The Globals have issued a 2:1 ruling that yes, yes everything about Tarrin is indeed unfair. We have also been sullied merely by contemplating this.

Offline MortVader83

• There's no reason for it. It's just our policy
  • Armies: Grey Knights 5th Brotherhood, CSM, Nids, DA, SM.
« Reply #65 on: March 4, 2012, 02:34:29 AM »
 I agree with Tarrin, it is more fun this way too. Who needs dedicated anti tank anyways when you have 64 psychopaths? Besides, chopping heads off with a lascannon would take forever.
"Ofcourse it's safe to smoke! I'm just loading Class-A fireworks, nothing dangerous."

• Sullied Smug
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #66 on: March 14, 2012, 04:00:07 PM »
So i made some final tweaks to make the list a bit more flavourable.  The 5 squads the same was a little bit bland so i altered 2 of them to mix it up. The loss of 2 fists does lower the list effectiveness a little but it will look better this way.

Hq Kharn
T 7 berserkers (with Kharn)
T 8 berserkers, skull champ, Powerfist
T 8 berserkers, skull champ, Power Weapon, Meltabombs
T 8 berserkers, skull champ, Power Weapon, Plasma Pistol
E 8 chosen, MoK, 2 x meltagun, 2 x flamer, 2 x meltabombs
HS 8 havocs, MoK, 2 x meltagun, 2 x flamer

1746 points
9 kill points
However, everything about Tarrin is unfair and should be sanctioned with extreme prejudice.

The Globals have issued a 2:1 ruling that yes, yes everything about Tarrin is indeed unfair. We have also been sullied merely by contemplating this.

Offline Killing Time

• Infinity Circuit | I put out on the first date | Tarrin's Sullied Cunning Stunt Double
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Brevior saltare cum deformibus mulieribus est vita
« Reply #67 on: March 14, 2012, 04:05:01 PM »
I like the look of it a lot.
Not quite as spammish as it was (not that it really matters when the theme is so clear and so awesome), and still terrifying.

I'll be keen to see how it performs next month.
Gutted I'm not going to be able to make it. No doubt I would've ended up drawn against you at some point...

• Sullied Smug
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #68 on: March 29, 2012, 05:10:57 AM »
Ok. Tourney is this weekend. Final basing and touch-ups tonight.

The final force looks deceptively soft on the table as it has no vehicles or walkers to add "bulk" to the force.  But the fact that anyone needs to kill 47 fearless marines to remove all scoring units is pretty good.
Sure it has flaws but because of that it promises to be an interesting list to use in the competitive environ. I am quite happy with it.

I will try to get some pics over the weekend and post them (and bat reps) here.

Excited now.
6 players in the team going with a nice mix of forces.
Tau, BA, Ultramarines, CSM, Nids and Eldar. 

Offline enlg

• I like editing stuff.
« Reply #69 on: March 29, 2012, 05:43:16 AM »
Just out of curiousity, do you think your army list would lose effectiveness if you implemented units such as obliterators, who are commonly taken for their utility, but don't fit the theme?

I ask simply because its an interesting build and I'm curious about where you found a balance between infantry standing power and anti-tank stopping power, and I'm wondering if a less-conservative player could take this, and use obliterators to make it a rather powerful army against all-comers.

• Sullied Smug
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #70 on: March 29, 2012, 06:03:03 AM »
I think you probably mean a "more-conservative" player...

But to answer your question.
I think that to put obliterators in you would want to get at least 6 in, to give your the kind of flexibility that you want. 3 would just not be enough.

You would have to remove the havocs and one of the troops choices. Thats 16 guys.
While the loss of the havocs would not be a big problem, the loss of troops is.

This kind of army relies on the ability to soak wounds as it goes in. The more bodies you remove the less the list has to be able to do what it needs to do. Then to combat this you woudl probably want to drop another troops choice to buy transport for the remaining 4.

To give it the long range support that you are talking about i would look to swap the short range havocs out for long range ones. at the expense of some wargear.

I guess what you are suggesting is "Would a classic solid core of khorne troops and kharn, backed with Oblits be a good list?".

The answer is yes. Would it be a better list than this. Probably. It would have more flexibility due to potentailly having transports and teh longer range. Would it have the sheer beauty that the flaws in this list has? No.

I think this is an all-comers list, because it does what it does well.  It has the potential to overwhelm elite lists, while having the numbers to withstand a horde. Fast armies will want to come to it and will find difficulty staying out of range of so many troops, while slow armies will meet it haed on, which i am more than happy with.

You will need a spot of luck but thats the game. It won't be dull to use.

• Sullied Smug
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #71 on: April 3, 2012, 10:52:17 AM »
Well Vanquish was had.

All in all I was happy with how my army performed considering the obvious flaws it had.

Day 1:

Game 1: Vs Forgeworld heavy guard. Annihilation - spearhead
Grizimund, 2 Leman Russ which can fire twice, Master of the ordinance, hellhound with extra strength, vulture with TL-punisher cannon a big 3 squad troop blob, bastonne and a squad of vets and some heavy weapon teams. So that 6 AP3 templates a turn.Against my all infantry squad on a table with no area terrain and he steals the init.
Right…
Thankfully there was a number of intact buildings which I could hide in.  By the end of turn 4 it was still 0-0 on kill points through some quality hiding by 1-2 men as the rest of their squads were killed. I was forced to chase the game when he killed a squad and I managed to get some squads into combat, killing the 30 man commissar led stubborn troop squad and bastonnes squad. Kharn shot up a hellhound. Sadly I couldn’t touch the squads and I ended up getting pounded by tanks.
Final score was 6-3 in turn 7. Kharn survived so I made my special objective.

Nice guy, awkward army.

Game 2: Necrons. Recon, Pitched battle.
2 squads of warriors (20 + 10), squad of immortals, scarabs, imotekh, tomb blade, destroyers, heavy destroyers, destroyer lord and a couple crypteks, and some flangey night scythe.
I kept 4 squads back in defence and charged 4 forward. I forgot the destroyers have had a reduction in AP so I was slaughtered in, but my defence teams held steady against his advancing bits. Doing enough to hold him up.
I managed to get 1 squad in scoring but he had a supersonic troop transport (sigh) that I couldn’t catch so he was always going to score.
I lost wildly on VP’s 1400- 350 but I managed the draw on the game conditions. I also got my secret objective as I had a squad defending my zone.

Great guy, a pretty balanced necron army and a lot of fun to play.

Game 3: Marines. 5 objectives, DOW.
 Captain + plasma command squad, razorback, 2 x 10 tacticals with razorbacks, 2 vindicators, dreadnought, 5 termies, termie libby, thunderfire cannon.

Solid army. I got deploymenty and snuck some guys up to 1/2 way.
He approached carefully. Chosen outflanked and took out a vindicator and that flank got messy real quick. His dread held against a mass attack, taking 15+ pen hits and 10+ glancing before succumbing. Easily his best thing. The middle got messy with zerkers fighting termies which I whittle down. Kahrns unit was shot up, but the man himself went on a killing spree, saving plasma hit after plasma hit from my opponents command squad.  His cleared out a vindicator, and a scoring squad.
Game ended on turn 6 with 1 objective held each. Of note was his apothecary which calmly made every FNP save required.
My Havocs captured a piece of terrain in his deployment zone so I made my secret as well.

Brillinat game against a really decent player. Was a lot of fun.

Back to Badger HQ for a great meal with the team at the five dials.

Day 2:
Game 4:  Mech Eldar. Cleanse, Pitched battle.
2 fire prisms, falcon + 5 Avengers, Serpent+ 10 Avengers+ Eldrad, Serpent + 10 Avengers, serpent + 5 dragons, 3 bike. All serpents have star engines.

Oh deary me.

I approached him hugging terrain and he shot at me, for 1 and 2. quickly realiosed that he could not kill everything with tank weapons alone. Combined with my chosen sneaking in, popping a serpent and pinning the avengers and my men getting good run rolls he was forced to get out of his vehicles in order to try and deal with me. Got real messy real quick as the khorne ripped his stuff apart.
 Ended up in turn 6 with the last scoring unit destroyed. I held 1 quarter, and contested 3 to a serpent, falcon and 3 bikes that had avoided the slaughter.
I failed my objective as I had to capture a troop choice, but I was forced to kill it.

I had no idea how I managed it, but a win vs a hard list.

Game 5: Take and Hold, DOW
Nids!  3 biovores, harpy, hive guard, prime, warrior, 2 x termagants, 2 stealer squads, 3 thropes, doom in a spore.
Great.
 There was a mount in the middle of the table and it was a classic take the hill.
He won the dice-off so set up on the hill. He then moved on to the board. I replied by forming my army up into a big wedge and running at him. His army pounded mine with blasts and dirty nid shooting started to whittle them down. The doom came down and I was forced to turn a couple units back to try to kill it. it killed one zerker before i smeared it. I stormed the hill killing a lot of stuff but then his stealers got involved and I simply couldn’t fight them.
Ended up with kharn having to attack a wounded broodlord which killed him, leaving the game a draw with 1 chap each contesting the base.  Have to kill all his elites which didn’t happen for my secret.
Good hard game as always vs a good friend of mine.

All in all 1 win, 3 draws, 1 loss. 3/5 secret objectives
17 points and 30th out of 60. 

All in all, the army performed as I expected it too. The first couple games were hard, having to face 2 heavy shooting armies. The third was very tactical and could have gone either way. I weas lucky on the 4th and the 5th was a grind.

Kharn, when he got into CC was awesome but he is tricky to get anywhere by foot. The mass fearless troops meant I was able to stick around a lot longer then I should have.

I was pretty happy all in all.

Offline Zilverscale

• Ork Boy
« Reply #72 on: April 3, 2012, 11:46:52 AM »
lol it was an akward list indeed XD

You'd have faced my SW if not for an overly destructive little niece making 2500 points of infantry fly through the air and land in a gazillion bits on a hard floor -.-

Really liked playing vs your list....Grizmund was amphetamine parrotting in his tank when he saw all those zerkers!

PAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!