News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: What Makes Sense To Add To My List?  (Read 1314 times)

Offline starstrider

• Ork Boy
  • Armies: Sisters of Battle, Order of the Sacred Rose
What Makes Sense To Add To My List?
« on: October 4, 2012, 03:44:34 AM »
So, I have a quick-strike/mobile force backed up with long ranged shooting type of thing that I'm (sloooowly) putting together. I'd spend more time explaining where I want the list to end up as, but hopefully just putting down the units I already have will give some idea of that. I can always reply more specifically if anyone wants me to.

Keeping it simple and just listing the models rather than an army list (which I haven't really developed yet) I have:

Autarch w/ Hawk Wings

6 Swooping Hawks

6 Jetbikes
6 Jetbikes

5 Path Finders

So here I've got my two troops and HQ. I got the swooping hawks mainly because I liked the models, but haywire grenades seem pretty awesome too and give my list some solid anti-tank. And the path finders can sit back and help out at long range. The most obvious problems I see are 1) lack of any decent combat elements and 2) insufficient long ranged support/anti-tank. I'm new (more or less), so there are probably other glaring issues I'm missing. I'm also torn about whether I want to include falcons/wave serpents/fire prisms. At potentially over 100 points a pop, the price tag on those can add up fast. I also feel like I'd throw the enemy off his game a bit by showing up without standard heavy support (and would have saved a few hundred points for a squad of shining spears and more basics as well).

I suppose one big priority is getting warlocks on jetbikes for enhance etc. But in this thread I'm more interested in where to go new unit wise, rather than specific army-list type unit by unit improvements. If that makes sense.

One other question: for my jetbikes I'm doing a super simple kit-bash. I'm taking the DE reavers, but gluing the guardian back onto the DE body and using the guardian head, and then snipping off the little hook on the underside of the bike. I feel it comes out really well, for the minimal effort required.

However. I need silver spears. I can't use the regular silver spear models, as they won't fit in well with my converted jetbikes. Anyone have any clever ideas on how to convert up shining spear guys to put on top of DE reaver bikes? Something that's simple, similar to the guardian jetbike kitbash, but still able to stand out reasonably on its own?

Offline Dralith

• never say dice
  • Armies: Craftworld Bionerath and Badtoof's Moonstompas
Re: What Makes Sense To Add To My List?
« Reply #1 on: October 4, 2012, 04:08:32 AM »
DA heads and bright lance barrels?

Might be tricky to avoid heavies, as that's really where all our ranged AT is. I don't need to tell you walkers are good and cheap, but they're definitely expected. Reapers can take transports out in theory - an exarch with 2 krak shots should strip two HP himself, meaning you just need one six. Lords are also pretty run-of-the-mill. How about vibro cannons? Three batteries can take out all but the heaviest non-flyers in a turn.

Otherwise you can tool vypers with long and strong guns, but it's not cheap, and not reliable.
« Last Edit: October 4, 2012, 04:40:12 AM by Dralith »
And Oromë loved the Quendi, and named them in their own tongue Eldar, the people of the stars.

Offline Irisado

• A Light in The Grim-Darkness ~ Guns Don't Kill People, Copyright Stats Do | Farseer | Reporting Live! from the Crime Scene | Somewhat behind the times
  • Administrator
  • Soñando debajo del arco iris
  • Armies: Administrators must not play 40K
« Reply #2 on: October 4, 2012, 05:49:31 AM »
In terms of adding Wave Serpents and Falcons, I wouldn't advise it, assuming you want to use all the units which you already have.  The reason being is that three into two doesn't go, which, more precisely, means that mixing infantry, Jetbikes, and transports, results in a mixed list which is usually heavily compromised in one or two of those areas.  For a mixed list to function properly, you generally only have sufficient points to allocate to two of those areas, while maintaining internal balance.

You currently have a reasonable amount of infantry and Jetbikes, so it makes sense to develop both of these groups further, rather than adding Wave Serpents, Falcons, and Fire Prisms, in my view.  If you want more fire support, therefore, I suggest that you look at Defender Guardians, Vypers, War Walkers and/or Wraithlords, and if you want more attacking options, you're looking at expanding your Jetbike wing, adding more fast attack units, such as Warp Spiders, or perhaps incorporating some outflanking options, such as the aforementioned War Walkers and/or Striking Scorpions.

I hope that helps.
You haunt my in-box like an ex-girl friend could only dream of.

The Forum Rules - Please Read and Remember Them.

Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Offline volatilegaz

• Aspect Warrior
  • I'm dead inside.
  • Armies: Eldar, Just starting Necrons
« Reply #3 on: October 4, 2012, 07:04:19 AM »
As it stands you have a very mobile force, except for the rangers. So priority 1 should be some more static / long range units to support them. Options would be guardian defenders, wraithlord(s), war walkers or dark reapers (though dark reapers are more anti-infantry, and I think you'd be better off with anti-tank). Defenders will give you more scoring options, war walkers have the flexibility of deploying with the mobile wing, and wraithlords give you some cc capability. -I would advise 2-3 units from this list.

Priority 2 for me would be a seer council on jetbikes. -Expensive, but would give you psychic support, fits well with the mobile wing, and fills your close-combat requirements nicely.

After that, I would look at Warp Spiders and War walkers. Both can benefit from the Autarch's reserve boost, both can churn out high volume, high strength fire, and both fit quite nicely with the mobile wing.

Other mobile options (vypers, shining spears & shadow spectres) I find to be not very points-efficient, though others seem to do well with them.

Cheers,

VG
The ability to quote is a serviceable substitute for wit.

Offline samzor

• Refuse Bot Malfunction! Quick cheese it!
  • Armies: Eldar
« Reply #4 on: October 4, 2012, 09:04:32 AM »
Without going into too much detail and specifically for this (6th) edition in my personal opinion:

HS:
Fire prism (maybe two) If the template scatters and itscentre is not over the vehicle hull it still deals full damage. They are pretty impressive and can stay out of range of most enemies.

Fast Attack:
Vypers (three) Nice way to add firepower without taking a HS slot and with ranged weapons equals great for stopping enemy from having cover (turbo boost over into their corner of the board on turn one behind cover). Turn two scatter laser all those troops behind cover. (Your opponent has to deal with them straight away)

Offline Voseph

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #5 on: October 4, 2012, 04:32:05 PM »
I think you have a pretty good theme going on with your current list and if you want to stay on track with that I have a few suggestions that I use in my Mobile lists.

For a HS options I like the Fire prism as has been mentioned before as it will be good for both anti tank and anti infantry.  I only gives you one shot a turn so you may need to combine it with either a Vyper Squadron with EML's.  These will keep up your speed and maintain versatility for taking out both tanks and troops. For those two options together you are looking at an additional 310 for 4 shots.

The other option would be a war walker squadron. You will be less mobile but they pack a lot of punch for their point cost.  Again I like the EML's on them to keep them back out of harms way pumping out Six missiles a turn for only 210 points.

I also really like taking 10 man squads of guardians to maximize Heavy weapon output. They can be pretty tough when you put them in decent cover but then you are giving up some Fire out put.

Offline Ginger farseer

• Ork Yoof
  • Armies: Space wolves, Eldar, Orks
« Reply #6 on: October 6, 2012, 04:43:09 PM »
I would recommend, as others have said, some WW with EML, for very versatile long ranged support, and some warp spiders, to add to the mobile wing,and deal out horrid amounts of high st shots.

I would also arm the jetbikes with 2 shruiken cannons, to give them some shooting capabilities at long range,and give them a chance at popping transports.

you could also add in some vypers, possibly with duel shruiken cannons, this combi ed with the jetbikes and warp spiders lets you throw out a lot of  mid strength shots, if you focas these on 1 or 2 units, you shou,d be able to kill them before they can strike back. remember, that the warp spiders and jetbikes allow you to dance backwards out of assualt range after shooting, so do t be afraid to let them get close
Be nice to nerds, you'll probably be working for them.

What if by 'fly you fools'  Gandalf was actually telling the fellowship to call the eagles and fly to Mordor?

"Thunder rolled... It rolled a six"

+++Melon melon melon+++
+++out of cheese error redo from start+++
+++Divide by cucumber error. Please reinstall universe and reboot+++

Offline Dev Null

• GW has copyrighted my ability to be wrong.
« Reply #7 on: October 8, 2012, 03:24:00 PM »
Lots of good feedback already, so I'll skip the "me too" bits of my advice.

I find 5 is too small for Pathfinders, so I'd add a couple.

Swooping Hawks are awesome... but can be hard to get into contact with enemy tanks intact, unless there is enough scenery about.  I'd be looking for something threatening to put in front and keep them alive with.

I find Eldar Farseers just too useful to leave at home; they help you get the max out of whatever else you take.  Though with a bike-heavy list that probably means a Seer Council...

For Shining Spears conversions, I have an idea that I haven't got around to trying yet; fix the lances to the bike, rather than have the rider hold it.  Seems like an easier conversion, and actually makes more sense to me than trying to hold onto a stick while hitting something with it at jetbike speeds.  But I haven't tried it yet, so it might look like crap... just throwing the idea out there for ya.