News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Looshkin's Everything Thread - Shroud Runners and Autarch  (Read 70404 times)

Offline Looshkin

• Aspect Warrior
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Once held an Utter Fear of Tiny Diamonds
  • Armies: I 'play' Eldar. Or at least horde unpainted models
Looshkin's Everything Thread - Shroud Runners and Autarch
« on: September 25, 2016, 06:05:16 AM »
'Hey Loosh! What have you been up to for the past 8 months?' Asked nobody ever.

But I'm going to tell you. Or show you at any rate.

I haven't been busy, but I have plodded on with a few little projects in an ever futile mission to paint all of the unpainted plastic in the house. Some of these projects are of the '3 feet' variety. That is, I only want or need the minis to look good from 3 feet away. Others, I have spent a little more time and patience on.

So where to start? Probably chronologically. There are plenty of minis that I painted last year in a very busy 1 month stint. I didn't really paint anything over the other 11 months last year, to my shame. This year, it took me a fair while, but I finally went back to those miniatures and based them, touched up a couple of little details here and there and generally made them ready to hit a gaming table near you (Or not, I pretty much never game anymore. Such are the pitfalls of having too many hobbies, a 9 month old, a very busy job and generally not enough time.

So first up, some Deathskulls that I painted last year. I'm slowly piecing together an Ork mob made up of mobile Evil Suns and a more static Deathskulls element. I like painting blue and red. Those are colours that I can do.

So first off, I put together the Killa Kans. I wanted these to have a very battered look about them. The weapons choices are always incidental with these guys, I just picked whatever I thought looked interesting.

I believe (It is a long time ago) that my recipe was a leadbelcher spray base. Blue was coated with ultramarines, with a fairly heavy Calgary Blue dry brush. The white is just Pallid Wych Flesh. Everything got a very heavy Agrax wash.

I had tried some salt/hairspray weathering. It did not work. But it did produce a couple of interesting effects on the white.

On this one, note the pooling of the wash on the skull. I didn't care about that, in fact, I quite like it. That's the beauty of Orks. Make em as ugly as you want and it will still work like a charm!

Next up were some Grots. I like these minis a lot. Full of character - more so than most of the 40k range. There's an element of humour in there that has been worn away by the grim dark over the past 2 decades. Oaks were always supposed to be savage and warlike, but with a madcap nature inherent too. I think that the Gretchen are some of the few minis that still capture that feel.

Finally, I painted the Nobz. I should add at this stage that all these minis were from the Orks/Space Wolves set that came out a little while back. Great value for the amount of stuff that you got and I even refrained from selling the characters that were effectively Limited Edition at the time.

These guys I wanted to look a bit more angry. I also mucked about with the blue face paint, introducing a Braveheart type paint job and also a Batman one.

I love this guy. Everything about him says 'You spilled my pint and now you'll pay'

Freedom??

And that's your lot for the moment. I've got a load of stuff to upload, but I'll space it out a bit so that you aren't scared away by my waffling.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2022, 05:56:44 PM by Looshkin »
WD127 - Started a Love Affair my Wallet Just Can't Cope With...

Offline dog_of_war

• Aspect Warrior
  • Armies: Orks, Chaos Space Marines, Eldar, Dark Eldar
Re: Eldar, Crimson Fists, Orks and Whatever Floats My Boat
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2016, 07:34:58 AM »
Those orks look fantastic. I'm loving the blue paint jobs, as Deathskulls are near and dear to my heart.

It's a shame that GW went so grim with the ork models as of late. I loved the idea of green-skinned space clowns from the rogue trader days. That was the entire reason I started orks as my first army.
Don't get me wrong, the new sculpts are still great, but if you're going to give an army random and comical special rules, there should be a hint if that in the models.

Anyways, enough of my rant. Good on you for trying the checker board pattern on the kans. I've always had terrible executions myself, hence my aversion to painting goffs.

Keep up the awesome work!

Offline Looshkin

• Aspect Warrior
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2016, 07:50:36 AM »
Anyways, enough of my rant. Good on you for trying the checker board pattern on the kans. I've always had terrible executions myself, hence my aversion to painting goffs.

Thanks DoW, I appreciate the kind words. As far as the checkerboard pattern, I pretty much figures that they didn't need to be anywhere near as clean as a Harlequin diamond - I can't really picture a Big Mek getting out a ruler to go with his spray can. As such, it's just slapped on. Badly. I think that is why it works ok.

Don't get me wrong, I were to do a check pattern on anything other than Orks...well, let's say that I probably wouldn't even start, as I'm not precise enough for that!

Offline Cavalier

• One Archon to Rules Test Them All | High Corsair Prince of Painting | Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Angels, World Eaters
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2016, 08:23:22 AM »
Wow looking great Looshkin. The paint jobs are just superb. Love the scheme overall... the blue on green looks so nice, especially with the splashes of white here and there. Love the boss poles they look great. But the grots are the probably my faves... the models are brilliant and all the warpaint on their little faces looks awesome. Absolutley love them.

GW really pours the love into the sculpting on the Orks. SO MUCH DETAIL. Anyway great stuff as always Loosh, glad you are painting again. These guys are killer
« Last Edit: September 25, 2016, 08:24:54 AM by Cavalier »
Check out my army! Eldar Corsair Army

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

Offline Aurics Pride

• Aspect Warrior
  • I tread the hidden path.....
  • Armies: Eldar, Raven Guard, Slaanesh
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2016, 03:36:54 AM »
Wow, there's some great painting there! Attention to detail is really good.
Gotta agree with Cav on the Grots though, such characterful models!  ;D
+++ VICTORUS AUT MORTIS +++

My Army Blog (Corsair & Raven Guard: Here

Offline Looshkin

• Aspect Warrior
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2016, 02:58:40 PM »
Wow, there's some great painting there! Attention to detail is really good.
Gotta agree with Cav on the Grots though, such characterful models!  ;D

Thanks AP! And yes, I agree with both you and Cav - Those Grot minis are just great sculpts and pack a lot of character into a very small surface. Bravo GW, more like these please!

Just a very mini update. After completing the Orks, I went back and finished up a few Rangers for my Eldar. I already have about 20 of these chaps, but well, Alaitoc. So there's that.

So just a micro update. I think I actually still have to dig out backpacks for 3 of these guys, but that's a job for another day.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2016, 03:05:18 PM by Looshkin »

Offline Irisado

• A Light in The Grim-Darkness ~ Guns Don't Kill People, Copyright Stats Do | Farseer | Reporting Live! from the Crime Scene | Somewhat behind the times
  • Administrator
  • Soñando debajo del arco iris
  • Armies: Administrators must not play 40K
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2016, 03:21:20 PM »
The detail and colour on the Cameoline Cloaks is really impressive.  You've pulled off great work with the different shades of blue there.  Very subtly done.
You haunt my in-box like an ex-girl friend could only dream of.

The Forum Rules - Please Read and Remember Them.

Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #7 on: October 1, 2016, 09:17:28 AM »
So, so nice Loosh. Absolutely love Alaitoc Rangers. The blue and yellow is just so classic. Those paint jobs are just sick...the camo pattern on the cloaks is unbelievable. I'm jealous!

Ibushi who posts on here has some really nice success with his Rangers. He's found them to be very helpful in Maelstrom games as well. He's super gutsy with them too.

Did you pick up Illic Nightspear? I actually really enjoy running him but I've drawn real bad matchups everytime I field him. I did have trade shots with a Vindicare Assassin for a few turns which was really fun though.

Anyway great stuff Loosh, love it!

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

Offline Looshkin

• Aspect Warrior
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #8 on: October 1, 2016, 04:15:06 PM »
Thank you Iri, really appreciate the kind words from an Eldar vet like yourself. The blue is actually probably the easiest part of the Rangers. It's been a little while, but it's basically Aliatoc Blue with an Asurmen Blue wash over the top, followed by a heavy stipple of Kantor Blue and some Enchanted Blue - sorry, can't for the life of me recall the new name. I just try to stipple so that none of the 3 colours really dominates.

So, so nice Loosh. Absolutely love Alaitoc Rangers. The blue and yellow is just so classic. Those paint jobs are just sick...the camo pattern on the cloaks is unbelievable. I'm jealous!

Did you pick up Illic Nightspear? I actually really enjoy running him but I've drawn real bad matchups everytime I field him. I did have trade shots with a Vindicare Assassin for a few turns which was really fun though.

Anyway great stuff Loosh, love it!

Cheers Cav, appreciate the praise from someone who produces Eldar at such a high rate and such a high quality.

And of course I have Illic! Here he is, dominating the battlefield in a way that only the best sniper in the universe can:

In the distance, you can see the carnage wrought by...well, not by Illic!

I play very, very infrequently, but I've fielded him in a few games, and thus far I believe his kill total is...1 tactical marine. Yup. Best sniper in the 'verse, but guaranteed to roll more 1s than you've ever seen! I just have awful luck with him. To the degree that my opponent has completely ignored him the past 2 games we've played.

Anyway, a few more of Illic's friends. They've given me way more success. By way more, they've killed at least 2 tac marines! Kidding, they've been pretty solid and normally sponge a lot more fire the they really should.

Offline Irisado

• A Light in The Grim-Darkness ~ Guns Don't Kill People, Copyright Stats Do | Farseer | Reporting Live! from the Crime Scene | Somewhat behind the times
  • Administrator
« Reply #9 on: October 1, 2016, 06:10:20 PM »
The fact that you play 40K means that you play more frequently than I do :D.

You've got the yellow on those helmets spot on as well.  It looks suitably rich in colour, which is always tricky to achieve when painting yellow.  Did you manage to achieve that using a GW yellow or did you use an alternative manufacturer's yellow?

Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Offline Looshkin

• Aspect Warrior
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #10 on: October 1, 2016, 06:28:47 PM »
You've got the yellow on those helmets spot on as well.  It looks suitably rich in colour, which is always tricky to achieve when painting yellow.  Did you manage to achieve that using a GW yellow or did you use an alternative manufacturer's yellow?

Yup, GW yellow. I ensure I have a nice, even white scar base and then go with I think Flash Gitz yellow. Couple of coats, thinned slightly. The key though, is that I then wash the yellow with yellow ink or glaze. Really makes it pop. After that, the highlights. Fairly simple, but it's nice and bold.

Offline Aurics Pride

• Aspect Warrior
  • I tread the hidden path.....
  • Armies: Eldar, Raven Guard, Slaanesh
« Reply #11 on: October 2, 2016, 05:09:47 AM »
Those Rangers are beautiful!  8)
Absolutely love the effect that you've painted on the Cameoline cloaks, really nice!
I'd kill to be able to get a finish like you have on the Yellow helmets too, even thinned down I struggle to get it looking so clean.
Would love to see more of these guys!
+++ VICTORUS AUT MORTIS +++

My Army Blog (Corsair & Raven Guard: Here

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #12 on: October 2, 2016, 08:10:47 AM »
Ah there he is! He looks really good. Dang rangers are frustrating to use offensively. I wish sniper weapons were a bit better, almost like Fleshbane rounds or something along those lines, or a decent AP. Also I know the pain of rolling those 1's with Illic, so frustrating!

I do want to try using him with a unit Reapers at some point. However my primary interest does still lie in using him with Rangers as I'm dying to pick off all the special weapons in various Imperial armies. Particularly stacking shots on damn grav-guns. lol

Anyway looks fantastic Loosh. Love it!

Offline dog_of_war

• Aspect Warrior
  • Armies: Orks, Chaos Space Marines, Eldar, Dark Eldar
« Reply #13 on: October 2, 2016, 08:35:58 AM »
Looking very clean and crisp. I love colour scheme you're using, especially the few alternates you did with the red face mask instead of opting for the traditional yellow. Keep up the good work!

Offline Looshkin

• Aspect Warrior
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #14 on: October 2, 2016, 12:22:57 PM »
Thanks Cav and AP!

Looking very clean and crisp. I love colour scheme you're using, especially the few alternates you did with the red face mask instead of opting for the traditional yellow. Keep up the good work!

I have a deep red as a spot colour throughout my army (which I must post at some stage), and it just made sense to have it included in some way in the ranger units. They don't have much that can be painted with a spot colour without it looking out of place, so the cloth masks were the obvious choice. Also, too much yellow in stealthy units feels somewhat wrong!
« Last Edit: October 8, 2016, 01:53:54 PM by Looshkin »

Offline Looshkin

• Aspect Warrior
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #15 on: October 8, 2016, 01:54:15 PM »
Ok, so a bit of an update for you. But first, a few shots of the Ranger wing of my Alaitoc CWE army.

The assembled throng:

Illic and the Direct only mini (I really love that particular sculpt. Definitely my favourite Ranger sculpt...and a damn sight better to work with than the finecast).

And a close up of one of the other rangers.

So there you go. I've had moderate gaming success with these guys, but they always attract way too much fire, leaving other elements of the army completely untouched. Which is nice.

On to new stuff.

I picked up the exclusive Skaven Warlord when I went to Gamesday a few years back - the year of the Island of Blood release. About a year or two later, I started painting my Skaven, and this was the last guy that I started working on. I finally completed him a couple of months ago - so in all, I think he probably took the best part of 3 years! In all seriousness though, I had based the skin over a black undercoat, that's all, but when I started work on him again, it probably only took a few hours spread over 2 days. More importantly, it freed up more room on the paint station!

A fairly dark exposure (which I quite like), that captures his dark menace, I think:

And a few close ups. Hey, that's Loosh in the reflection! Everyone wave hello! And be glad I was wearing clothes when I took these...

I'll not lie, I didn't pay too much attention when painting this guy, but on reflection, I absolutely love the look of the shield. It just screams 'Ratty loot pile' to me:

So there you go. I have broad tastes. Orks, Eldar and Skaven so far. Over the next few weeks, I'll be unleashing those dang Crimson Fists in the title, a Knight and some terrain. Next up will be the High Elf Prince on Griffon from the IoB set. And I can't wait to show him off. One of my favourite minis so far.

Thanks for reading guys, if you have any questions about any of my colour schemes or techniques that I use (even if it's so you can avoid getting similar results!), then please ask. Cheers!

Offline Irisado

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: October 8, 2016, 02:06:50 PM »
Those Rangers look fabulous.  All the colours are shaded just right, and you've established just the right contrast between the yellow, blue, and brown.  The direct only miniature looks very impressive, I agree.  It's first time I've seen someone paint that.  Great work :).

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #17 on: October 8, 2016, 02:34:24 PM »
Wow so nice Loosh. Just love that Alaitoc scheme. You know it used to be a perennial favorite but I hardly see any of the classic Craftworld schemes except Saim-Hann these days. Just fantastic paint jobs all round. The yellow, the bone, the blue just such a vibrant scheme and certainly not easy to execute or repeat over so many models. Fantastic work on them.

The Skaven is awesome too. One of GW's best lines of miniatures and one of my faves from Fantasy. Great stuff there.

Very excited to see Crimson Fists and a Knight as well. They should look awesome together! Are you going to paint the Knight in Crimson Fist colors or give him a contrasting look. Can't wait to see them! Keep up the great work bud. Always great fun to see your minis

Offline Looshkin

• Aspect Warrior
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2016, 05:43:08 AM »
Thank you Iri and Cav for your kind words!

Very excited to see Crimson Fists and a Knight as well. They should look awesome together! Are you going to paint the Knight in Crimson Fist colors or give him a contrasting look. Can't wait to see them! Keep up the great work bud. Always great fun to see your minis

I'm afraid I'm going to make you wait a little bit longer.

This week, I'll show you one of my favourite minis. It's the IoB High Elf Prince on Griffon. IMHO, the finest push-fit mini that GW has ever produced. He was just a lot of fun to paint. I tried to go to town on things like the cloak and sashes - not in level of detail, but in the amount of blending that I did. I'll not lie, I'm particularly fond of the beak and claws of the griffon too.

Let me know what you think (And yes, I know that I really needed to green stuff the griffon's back - that's a side project for the future. When I painted this guy, I only had very limited kit with me. I will get round to it!)

Next time up, it'll be the Crimson Fists making their entrance onto the stage.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2016, 05:44:56 AM by Looshkin »

Offline malicant

• "It is not blood that binds us..."
« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2016, 06:32:26 AM »
That's a very clean and tidy paint job on the orks, and it still manages to look orkey :)

I honestly haven't seen many blue ork schemes.  Most ork armies seem to be red, yellow or some other vibrant colour.  Very interesting.