News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Long time player, short time Grey Knight! Basic army list?  (Read 1012 times)

Offline Dews Now

• I'm the lil guy.
Can anybody give me the basics for a GK army list? I know that a highly Psychic Librarian will be taking up a juicy HQ slot in my army but that's about as far as I know how to get.

Cheers.
« Last Edit: July 9, 2011, 05:41:35 PM by dews now »
If you see a fork in the road... take it.

Offline WisdomLS

• Ork Yoof
  • BLOOD FOR THE ..... emperor?
  • Armies: SM (BA, BT, DA), Orks, Daemons, CSM, GK, IG
Re: Long time player, short time Grey Knight! Basic army list?
« Reply #1 on: July 9, 2011, 05:51:54 PM »
Hard to give you a basic army list, perhaps letting us know what units you like the look of, what models you have/plan on getting and what play style your looking for.

To help out I'll go over the troop choices we have available, a very health five different options :D as these will define your army.

Strike squad - A good solid marine unit, generally need a transport and even though they have power weapons they are a shooty unit not a close combat one.

Terminator squad - More expensive than the strikes but more survivable and better in CC, don't need a transport as they can DS and are more protected when walking.

Paladins - Unlocked as troop by taking Draigo. These are the ones to go for if you want a super elite army, very expensive but can take multipul heavy weapons and are extreamly good in assault. Makes for a very easy on the wallet army but is vulnerable to certain other army builds.

Purifiers - Unlocked as troop by taking Crowe. These guys are brilliant, great at shooting with lots of heavy weapons, great at killing both elites and hordes in combat. Generally each unit will need a transport to get around in as they are expensive and just as easy to kill as a normal marine. A very good all round choice but you do have to take a not very good character to use them.

Inquisitorial henchmen - Unlocked as troops by taking Coteaz. These guys are super versatile and very cheap. You can load them out to be good long range shooty units or assaulty units of death, all are reasonable easy to kill so makes for a very different type of GK army. Best to have a good read through there army list entry and get a feel for them as they have so many options.

Hope thats of some help.

Offline Dews Now

• I'm the lil guy.
« Reply #2 on: July 9, 2011, 06:04:03 PM »
Huge help, thanks man.

Alright, now I have established that I want some Purifiers, but I'm happy to keep them as an Elite choice because the only other Elite choices that I would want to take are a unit of Paladins, maybe four, and a Vindicare Assassin. Epic flamey, shooty and near invincible troops are the reason I got into GK.
I will probably end up taking a 5 man Termy Squad or a 10 man Strike Squad as well in my list...

Do you think that Dread Knights are worth their points?

Offline enlg

• I like editing stuff.
« Reply #3 on: July 9, 2011, 06:24:03 PM »
I don't play Grey Knights, so this isn't anything heavily tactical, but here is another thing to think about when formatting your list.

Grand Masters can potentially give you D3 scoring units each. These units include:

-Paladins
-Purifiers
-Venerable Dreadnoughts
-Dreadnoughts
-Nemesis Dreadknights
-Interceptors
-Purgators

While Grey Knights have many powerful and cost-effective troops choices, a Grand Master can help you worry less about the number of scoring units you have. Scoring Autocannon+psybolt dreadnoughts could be a useful home objective taker.

reading this is a nice read too on the Grand Master, and consider that when firing high strength weapons, rerolling all wound rolls of "1" is basically like rerolling all failed wounds. http://www.imperiusdominatus.com/2011/03/discussion-grey-knight-codex-review-hqs.html

Offline Dews Now

• I'm the lil guy.
« Reply #4 on: July 9, 2011, 06:51:07 PM »
Excellent point! I might have to take him y'know...

He just seems to good to pass up, even if my HQ section will cost around 500points with the Librarian. Meh, worth the tactical advantage I guess.

Cheers.

Offline Chosen Man

• Princeps Maximus, Swarmlord, High Lord of Rummy's Privy due to Pissing Him Off, Pookie noobkin, Now 5% less organic
  • Ancient
  • Yes my other car is an AT-AT....
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2011, 08:06:51 PM »
Welcome to the =I= Forum!

First question....Do you have a copy of the GK Codex and have you read it? If not, might I suggest you head down to your local GW or FLGS and look thru a copy of one. I'm sure you will be able to read up on all the information you might need there. If you like the army, grab a codex and read up on it(If not, grab one anyways....know your enemy!). I'm sure the community here will be happy to help you work with an army list once you have posted one for all of us to review and comment. This is the best way this forum can help you without breaking any copyright rules for posting stats or special rules about units which we can not really discuss in detail unless you have codex on hand and can understand what we are trying to explain. Enjoy! :)
"Follow me if I advance! Kill me if I retreat! Avenge me if I die!" -Tactica Imperium

Rynnsguard HQ: My Imperial Blog

Anarchy's Heart: My Alpha Legion Blog

Offline Dews Now

• I'm the lil guy.
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2011, 11:38:52 AM »
Thanks for the positive welcome to the forum!  :D

I can remember my first welcome, about 2 years ago. ;)
Yes man, I have the codex and I have read through it a few times. The community here is very helpful, you're right. Especially enthusiastic people like you. You guys are the reason I love this community.  ::)

Anyway, I'll get my army list on here for review as soon as I make one and figure out the basic strategy for it.

Cheers.