News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Usefull or useless?  (Read 1667 times)

Offline Sentinel XIII

• -No rest for the wickeD-
Usefull or useless?
« on: August 30, 2002, 08:49:11 AM »
Ok. I've opted to screw around with my gaunts cause, well, it's fun. Now I know that i might not have been wise in my decision. Tell me what you think about this small (new) nid army
the first number is how many in the brood, the number in brackets is the pont value

3     Warrior brood (dont know yet)
8     Irongaunts - fleshborer, extended carapace (8)
20   Spinegaunts - spinefists (5)
16   Wraithgaunts - leaping legs, scathing talons, adrenal gland-I (10)
1     Biovore (dont know)
3     Raveners - scathing talons, rending claws (50ish i think)

I know it isn't described very well, but to be honest, i don't know very much about 40k to begin with.
Any comments will be greatly appreciated.

XIII

Offline newbozel

• like a moose!
Re:Usefull or useless?
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2002, 10:20:55 AM »
looks alright, but I would avoid any gaunt brood less then 16 models, they will just get slaughtered otherwise (the idea is that your opponent does not have enough bullets to hit all the gaunts before they get into cc). Also ext carapace is a waste for gaunts, use it for your warriors instead.

my best gaunts have leaping legs (a neccesity) and scything talons. I dont think you will need the adrenal glands but go for it if you want them. the most important thing to remember w/ gaunts is to keep them cheap and take them in HUGE broods.

I use 24 gaunt broods of the above description and 24 gaunts w/ devourers, and toxin sacs (this makes my shooty gaunt brood get 48 shots in the shooting turn)
i had to use the toxin sacs because thedevourer is -1 str.

biovores are great, i always use poison mines w/ them. raveners are great as well, just make sure to give them rending claws instead of devourers (i had devourers but then swaped them out when i realized i NEVER shot with them)

it looks like you have a good start here, nids are a terrific army (i have never lost with mine), good luck!

like a moose,
newbozel

you also did not mention any mutants. these are great, especially the hive node for any gaunt brood.
like a moose,
newbozel

Offline The Hive Custodian (Retired)

• Primojanitor Paragon
  • Ancient
  • Perfection Within; Perfection Without
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2002, 08:12:36 PM »
Spinegaunts - good.
Wraithgaunts - okay.
Irongaunts - bad.

You should get a Montrous Creature... right now, your anti-armor is quite poor. 3 Raveners won't cut it.

You may want to get a Hive Node for your Gaunts.
Calculus is an art, but algebra is attrition.

Offline Sentinel XIII

• -No rest for the wickeD-
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2002, 12:05:09 PM »
Ok. I thank you for your tips, but I don't know the ins and outs of using mutants. I can't understand it in the codex. I think my brain just can't comprehend the words and broods and everything they say. could you spell it out for me??
oh, ive been told that my iron gaunts are useless, but i just started my nid army, and to be honest, i like the way it looks, and having a small brood of irritating bastards (no matter how useless) is fine for me now.
im going to get my box of warriors today, could you tell me some good combinations for biomorphs and such for them? ;D

thank oyu
XIII

Offline The Hive Custodian (Retired)

• Primojanitor Paragon
  • Ancient
  • Perfection Within; Perfection Without
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2002, 01:51:01 PM »
For the mutations and stuff, here's a summary:

1. Biomorphs.
Mutable genus creatures can take Biomorphs. You may select biomorphs up to the maximum number listed for each creature. The "+ x points" is the cost of the biomorph. A unique set of biomorphs on a genus is a species.

2. Bio-weapons.
Pick bio-weapons from the list until you have reached the number the creature has, generally one per pair of arms.

3. Hive Mind Powers.
Not all creatures can have these. Simply pick the ones you want and pay the points.

4. Mutations.
Each brood may have a number of mutants equal to the number of Wounds in the brood divided by the number of species (biomorph and genus combinations) in your hive fleet. A hive fleet must have at least one species from each category, except for Fast Attack. Your army must be from the species choices in your hive fleet list.  

For Warriors... it depends what you want them to do. You can give them Leaping, Rending Claws, Scything Talons, Toxin Sacs, and Extended Carapace, plus whatever Adrenal Glands would be useful for a melee-based species. Or you can give them Enhanced Senses, Extended Carapace, Scything Talons, and Deathspitter against light infantry at mid-range. Or you can give them Scything Talons, Venom Cannon, Enhanced Senses, and Winged to provide quick, mobile fire support. Tau Hammerheads? No problem. Deep Strike a couple and pump your S6-7 Venom Cannons into its rear. They can only glance, but a couple will get rid of it.

Avoid the Barbed Strangler; its Strength tends to be too low. If you take Lash Whips, only take a few, because they are no culmative. If you take a ranged weapon, try to get one with some range. Bio-plasma is fairly powerful, but quite expensive, so I don't usually take it. Flesh Hooks are self-evident, and Implant Attack is usually not too useful. All the characteristic enhancements are good when used properly; take only those pertinent to the situation.
Calculus is an art, but algebra is attrition.